Word on the street...

198,992 Views | 1776 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by WILLIS
GoldMind
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gunny Hartman said:

LateSteak69 said:

My Morning Jacket is the best band of all time.
Please lock the thread.

Incorrect. Everyone knows the greatest band of all time is the Black Crowes.

When did you get on this kick?
Roy Rogers
Gunny Hartman said:

LateSteak69 said:

Please lock the thread.

Gunny, I usually like the vast majority of your posts. This one, not so much.
"Sic em yesterday, sic em today, sic em forever"
nein51
Gunny Hartman said:

LateSteak69 said:

Please lock the thread.

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
Gunny Hartman
GoldMind said:

Gunny Hartman said:

LateSteak69 said:

Please lock the thread.

When did you get on this kick?

The Crowes? I was hooked the first time I heard their first album shortly after it was released about 25 years ago.

Damn I'm getting old.
Gunny Hartman
Roy Rogers said:

Gunny Hartman said:

LateSteak69 said:

Please lock the thread.

Thanks. Tell me, do you like Southern blues-rock? What about country? Gospel? Because if you put all those together then you get the Crowes. You should check them out.
deemus
Clavine said:

Michael McDonald did indeed do some stellar backing vocals...including being a regular backing up the brilliance of Steely Dan. The Doobies, however, were never the same, going pop post Tom Johnson when MM became the front man. And, MM had some super cheesy solo stuff. But, his voice is unique and was spectacular in a backing role.

This Christopher Cross praise is concerning.

First album: Elton John/Honkey Chateau

First cassette: Truly don't remember...an indictment of the cassette as a listening vehicle.

First CD: Van Morrison/Moondance, so I could listen digitally instead of to the popping of my album.
First 8-track: Chuck Berry Greatest Hits (My dinga-ling anyone?)

First album: Iron Butterfly

First Cassette: Boston - Don't Look Back (I think)

First CD: Tom Petty - Wildflowers

I had an awesome Marantz system in around 1978. When I had my first heart break, I recorded "I'll Get Over You" by Crystal Gayle on one entire track of an 8-track tape.

I stayed drunk for about three days, and listened to that tape over and over and over and over, fast forwarding through the other three blank tracks, back to the first. For the only time in my life I had a drunken, crying piti-party. I ate ring bologna with mustard on it, sat in the river drinking beer, and hardly slept. I had to get out the Brazos when Whitney released water at night, so I laid in my truck bed staring at the stars.

On the third day I finished my second case of beer, sort of sobered up, went home and showered, and was over it.

Then I went on what can only be described as a dating rampage.

Roy Rogers
Gunny Hartman said:

Roy Rogers said:

Gunny Hartman said:

LateSteak69 said:

Please lock the thread.

Thanks. Tell me, do you like Southern blues-rock? What about country? Gospel? Because if you put all those together then you get the Crowes. You should check them out.
I do and I will.
Roy Rogers
Speaking of Southern Blues Rock, any love out there for the Allman Brothers?
deemus
Tiny Elvis said:

Used to love Jack n Jill Donuts in Waco years ago. How do they compare to Shipley's?
They are awful now. I stopped a few months ago when I was in Waco, and they were Top 10 worst donuts I ever ate.

PMBear
Gunny Hartman said:

LateSteak69 said:

Please lock the thread.

Gah! Staying off this thread, fat fingers accidentally red flagged your post, Gunny--sorry!
nein51
Roy Rogers said:

Fantastic guitar. Great band.
desertbear
The Allman Brothers. I know I should love them, they check all the boxes, but they just do not move me.

I thought I was the only person on the planet that thinks The Black Crowes are a top 10 band. You're all right with me, Gunny.
GoldMind
Roy Rogers said:

All the love in the world. I bang Eat a Peach on the reg.
Gunny Hartman
Roy Rogers said:

Interesting you bring them up because the Crowes count the Allman Brothers as one of their heaviest influences. Sly and the Family Stone is another they often mention.

Generally speaking, their music got more chill in their later albums, trending much closer to the blues and old school country-- although that is a heavy influence in all of their more rock and roll stuff too-- but every album has a variety of songs. No two ever sound alike.

Their first album Shake Your Money Maker is the one that was the massive commercial success and got all the radio play and it's fantastic but may be my least favorite album of theirs.

For you I'd definitely recommend you check out "Before the Frost... Until the Freeze" because it's a laid-back double-album that is EXCELLENT. But if you want one that has some more rock and roll type songs then you've got to listen to "Southern Harmony and Musical Companion," "Amorica" (possibly my favorite though I'd be hard-pressed to choose a favorite from them), "Lions," and "By Your Side." Holeee cow those albums are INCREDIBLE and I could listen to them all day everyday and never get tired of it.
Fat Daddy
Roy Rogers said:

Live at the Fillmore one of my favorites .....

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed .... greatness!

Listened to the entire album driving thru Macon about a week ago!
Gunny Hartman
desertbear said:

The Allman Brothers. I know I should love them, they check all the boxes, but they just do not move me.

I thought I was the only person on the planet that thinks The Black Crowes are a top 10 band. You're all right with me, Gunny.

My brother from another mother
Gunny Hartman
First album: Queen "The Game." My sister who's 13 years older than me was a student at Baylor and saw them a concert and brought it to me. I was in the 4th grade. Pure awesomeness.

Don't remember my first cassette.

First two CDs I bought when I was in 7th grade and my dad got our first CD player: ZZ Top's Greatest Hits and Van Halen Jump. It doesn't get any better than that.
GoldMind
I own only 1 compiliation album, Bad Company 10 from 6.
Fat Daddy
First Album (6th Grade; I didn't even have a record player, had to play it on my sisters): Cream - Disraeli Gears

First 8 track (8th grade, bought a tape player): Rolling Stones - Through the Past Darkly

First Album / Second Go-round (senior year, bought a turntable, amp, FM tuner and speakers): Elton John - Madman Across the Water

First Cassette - usually recorded my own ; the only thing that promoted this was having a cassette player in the car.

First CD- Van Morrison - Greatest Hits

I still have a solid vinyl collection; very few cassettes (why? I don't know); no 8 tracks; and a lot of CD's, mainly duplicating my records but a lot more than that!
Gunny Hartman
GoldMind said:

If I hear that "Baaaad Company" song one more time on the raidio I'll gouge out my eardrums with an ice pick. Soooo freakin cheesy.
GoldMind
Gunny Hartman said:

GoldMind said:

If I hear that "Baaaad Company" song one more time on the raidio I'll gouge out my eardrums with an ice pick. Soooo freakin cheesy.

About how I feel about Freewill
Roy Rogers
Gunny Hartman said:

Roy Rogers said:

Interesting you bring them up because the Crowes count the Allman Brothers as one of their heaviest influences. Sly and the Family Stone is another they often mention.

Generally speaking, their music got more chill in their later albums, trending much closer to the blues and old school country-- although that is a heavy influence in all of their more rock and roll stuff too-- but every album has a variety of songs. No two ever sound alike.

Their first album Shake Your Money Maker is the one that was the massive commercial success and got all the radio play and it's fantastic but may be my least favorite album of theirs.

For you I'd definitely recommend you check out "Before the Frost... Until the Freeze" because it's a laid-back double-album that is EXCELLENT. But if you want one that has some more rock and roll type songs then you've got to listen to "Southern Harmony and Musical Companion," "Amorica" (possibly my favorite though I'd be hard-pressed to choose a favorite from them), "Lions," and "By Your Side." Holeee cow those albums are INCREDIBLE and I could listen to them all day everyday and never get tired of it.

I did listen/watch some YouTube of the Black Crowes after your recommendation. I'm not sure I'd consider them the greatest of all time (GOAT is so subjective), but I did enjoy their music. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be listening to more of their tunes.
Ludwig von Missi
Black Crowes are very underrated. Not in the best ever conversation for me, but they are a damn good band. They are kind of "old souls." They don't sound like most 90s bands...and that is meant as a compliment.
GoldMind
Crash Davis said:

Black Crowes are very underrated. Not in the best ever conversation for me, but they are a damn good band. They are kind of "old souls." They don't sound like most 90s bands...and that is meant as a compliment.

That's where I am.
Shamgar
I can remember back in the 60's going to get Spudnuts which were made out of potato flour. Very tasty.
Gunny Hartman
Roy Rogers said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Roy Rogers said:

I did listen/watch some YouTube of the Black Crowes after your recommendation. I'm not sure I'd consider them the greatest of all time (GOAT is so subjective), but I did enjoy their music. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be listening to more of their tunes.

Cool, glad you liked it. Check out "bad luck blue eyes goodbye," "Descending," "Wiser Time," "Diamond Ring," "Soul Singing," "Oh Josephine," "A train still makes a lonely sound" just to suggest a few off the top of my head.
Ludwig von Missi
This Black Crowes talk inspired me to post one of my favorite covers of all-time on the Great Covers thread on the music board. Might as well post it here too:
Ludwig von Missi
Roy Rogers said:

The Hound said:

LadyBear91 said:

The Hound said:

exr29070 said:

The Hound said:

Which is the best Beatle? Personally I'm partial to Paul McCartney, but some argue that John Lennon took the group from silly teenage love songs to the more psychedelic classic rock group that made such albums as Abby Roads and Let it Be
You just KNOW the sitar was his influence. Don't discount George Harrison. Dude is still responsible for some of the greatest rock licks ever.

George Martin? Would we even recognize their sound without him?

George Harrison was great. He wrote two of my favorite songs in My Sweet Lord and Here Comes the Sun

"Something" is a great one too.

Yep. That's another top five Beatles song for me
Let's just go for the greatest Beatles album. I'll get a lot of grief for this one but I'm voting for Rubber Soul.
I am going to circle back go this question since I didn't have time to answer it the other day. My answer to this question is constantly changing. My answer 2 months ago will not be my answer today and 2 months from now I'll probably have a different answer again.

Right now, I'm going to say Abbey Road. Come together and Something are just an incredible 1-2 punch to start an album. Oh Darling is fantastic. The Medley is awesome and then to cap it off with The End is just a perfect way to conclude their last album. If they would have left Maxwell's Silver Hammer on the cutting room floor where it belonged, that would have been a damn near perfect record.
SATXBear
Crash Davis said:

Yep, very good band. I have seen them live when they opened for Lenny Kravitz.
Gunny Hartman
Crash Davis said:

This Black Crowes talk inspired me to post one of my favorite covers of all-time on the Great Covers thread on the music board. Might as well post it here too:

Niiice. Melody Maker magazine once called them the Most Rock n Roll Rock n Roll Band in the World.

FYI none other than Jimmy Page must think highly of the Crowes, because he once toured with them-- not as a separate act, but actually joining them on stage as an additional guitar. For an entire tour.

Here's a 2 hour set:

FYI for anybody in the DFW Metro there is a tribute band that does a very respectable job of covering them. It's the only way I can scratch the itch to see them live since they broke up. I know all the members and catch them as often as I can.

https://blackcrowestributeband.com
Fat Daddy
Shamgar said:

I can remember back in the 60's going to get Spudnuts which were made out of potato flour. Very tasty.

In Borger?
Fat Daddy
Crash Davis said:

Throw back to The Last Waltz!
J.R.
My Morning Jacket and the BC's....best of all time???? Have another bong rip fellas. They are both good, but would be lucky to make the top 100.
SATXBear
Fat Daddy said:

Crash Davis said:

Throw back to The Last Waltz!

Thanks for posting that Crash. Nice tune on a lazy Easter afternoon by the pool. Got to hear some Bob Dylan in Sunday service today, so not a bad day.
LHBear
Brian Ethridge said:

GoldMind said:

Roy Rogers said:

GoldMind said:

I've never ridden on a jumbo jet. I always get stuck on a 777 or an a330. Where can I go to ensure I ride on a 747?
Asia

I rode to Hong Kong on a 777

Australia 777

London a330

Madrid a330

Can I just call the airline and ask them what's the next jumbo jet they got going out?

Or just ask atxtraveler.

British Airways flys a 747 out of DFW

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.