Football
Sponsored by

CMR was not a Mistake

129,281 Views | 790 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GoldMind
Aberzombie1892
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jay Square said:

My theory is that Rhule had success at Temple the same way Dennis Franchione had success at TCU and Dan Hawkins had success at Boise State. Franchione success was because of Gary Patterson and Hawkins success was because of Chris Peterson. If I'm correct we maybe hired the wrong person from Temple and could have hired the right person for half the money. Watching Rhule last year he looked like he did not know what to do.
This is based on one season at Baylor?
TexasScientist
Aberzombie1892 said:

Jay Square said:

My theory is that Rhule had success at Temple the same way Dennis Franchione had success at TCU and Dan Hawkins had success at Boise State. Franchione success was because of Gary Patterson and Hawkins success was because of Chris Peterson. If I'm correct we maybe hired the wrong person from Temple and could have hired the right person for half the money. Watching Rhule last year he looked like he did not know what to do.
Sometimes, one is enough.
D. C. Bear
TexasScientist said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

Jay Square said:

Sometimes, one is enough.

This is not one of those cases.
4th and Inches
Jay Square said:

So a guy who had his best success in his third and fourth season at temple was piggybacking somebody else's success? Seems legit
Beartrack
If you think this guy is Steele 2.0 you are lost.
Steele in his last year had no one I would want on my team. CMR has many players wanted by many good teams. I can't tell you how many games he will win. But Matt Rhule has players that look very good. Steele did not.
Baylor almost beat OU last year. That OU team would have beat a Steele team by a hundred. We were not good. But I can see a possibility of getting there. Rhule had success and experience. Steele did not. Me
Originally BearTracks 🐻 on BF
Ludwig von Missi
Jay Square said:

I don't think you thought this one through, bud.
Timbear
Jay Square, don't let Crash bother you. You are right on track.
Ludwig von Missi
Timbear said:

Jay Square, don't let Crash bother you. You are right on track.
So who was the mastermind behind Temple's success?
Reverend
Crash Davis said:

Jay Square said:

Lol. It may be you who needs to think this one through.
Ludwig von Missi
Reverend said:

Crash Davis said:

Jay Square said:

I'm open to that possibility. Help me out. If Rhule is Franchione, who is his Gary Patterson? If he is Dan Hawkins, who is his Chris Petersen?
Reverend
Crash Davis said:

Reverend said:

Crash Davis said:

Jay Square said:

I'm open to that possibility. Help me out. If Rhule is Franchione, who is his Gary Patterson? If he is Dan Hawkins, who is his Chris Petersen?
It has to be someone he didn't bring with him
BUBear24
Reverend said:

Crash Davis said:

Reverend said:

Crash Davis said:

Jay Square said:

He brought his OC, DC, director of operations, and more than half his staff. Care to eleborate exactly who he should've pulled down here??
Ludwig von Missi
Reverend said:

Crash Davis said:

Reverend said:

Crash Davis said:

Jay Square said:

Can't give me a name? It seems like a name would be pertinent to this theory.

It would have had to been one of his position coaches, which already makes this theory pretty sketchy...Patterson and Petersen were both coordinators and Rhule brought his coordinators with him.
Reverend
First of all, just for the record, the success of Temple really can't be compared to TCU and Boise.

I am completely unfamiliar with everyone who was on the Temple staff, but I will concede it doesn't appear he brought any masterminds with him.
BUBear24
Reverend said:

First of all, just for the record, the success of Temple really can't be compared to TCU and Boise.

I am completely unfamiliar with everyone who was on the Temple staff, but I will concede it doesn't appear he brought any masterminds with him.

So you threw **** on the wall and hoped it stuck? Got it...
Ludwig von Missi
Reverend said:

So basically you have no clue and have nothing to support that theory. Got it.
Reverend
I didn't bring up the theory boys. I just engaged in a little banter. Lighten up.
Ludwig von Missi
Reverend said:

I didn't bring up the theory boys. I just engaged in a little banter. Lighten up.
Didn't mean to give off the impression that I'm upset...I'm certainly not.

Someone floated a theory, I questioned the theory, you stuck up for the theory, and then I asked you to support your position. Seemed like a pretty basic message board exchange to me.
Wwbear
I think we hired a 10 win coach without analyzing the opponents that led to those wins. I posted this in September last year:

I dont think he will face a weak schedule like that in the Big 12. Of the 12 teams they played in regular season , only 4 had records over 500 and he lost to 3 of those. Every other team was basically terrible; see schedule below. Looks like only one quality win against USF.

Army L 8-5
Stony Brook W 5-6
Penn L 11-3
Charlotte W 4-8
SMU W 5-7
Memphis L 8-5
UCF W 6-7
USF W 11-2
Cinci W 4-8
Ucon W 3-9
Tulane W 4-8
East Caro W 3-9

Jay Square
Guys it is just a theory to come up with the reason Rhule took a team coming off a bowl win and a history of winning and only won one game. Also, I don't believe he brought his OC with him didn't that person switch to another school and that is the reason we didn't have a real OC.
BUBear24
Jay Square said:

Guys it is just a theory to come up with the reason Rhule took a team coming off a bowl win and a history of winning and only won one game. Also, I don't believe he brought his OC with him didn't that person switch to another school and that is the reason we didn't have a real OC.

Glenn Thomas was his OC who is now our QB coach/COOC. He waited out seeing if he could grab an NFL job before deciding to come here.

We brought Matt Lubick in but he bolted last second to Washington. That definitely did not help. He had been coaching at Oregon so I think a lot of hope of incorporating more of Oregon's spread fell through.
ShooterTX
Jay Square said:

Well, I don't think the theory is accurate.
We lost a lot of key players between 2016 and 2017. We were already dealing with depth issues in 2016, but they were far worse in 2017. You also need to consider the fact that the entire coaching staff and most of the football support staff were changed from 2016 to 2017. Totally new offense and defense too.
Now you need to realize that virtually EVERY team in the conference was improved, some extremely improved.
Put all of that together, and then add in all of the injuries... and there you go.
If you still think that it was all because of Rhule, then you need to blame Grobe for taking a 10 win team into a 7 win team. No other reasons,... just because of Grobe. Or maybe we need to recognize that there are lots of factors involved in a football season. Grobe had the same players AND the same coaches/staff. So he should have won at least 10 games... no excuses... according to your theory.
ColomboLQ
ShooterTX said:

Jay Square said:

We lost a lot of key players between 2016 and 2017. We were already dealing with depth issues in 2016, but they were far worse in 2017. You also need to consider the fact that the entire coaching staff and most of the football support staff were changed from 2016 to 2017. Totally new offense and defense too.
Now you need to realize that virtually EVERY team in the conference was improved, some extremely improved.
Put all of that together, and then add in all of the injuries... and there you go.
If you still think that it was all because of Rhule, then you need to blame Grobe for taking a 10 win team into a 7 win team. No other reasons,... just because of Grobe. Or maybe we need to recognize that there are lots of factors involved in a football season. Grobe had the same players AND the same coaches/staff. So he should have won at least 10 games... no excuses... according to your theory.
It's hard to make the argument that Oklahoma St, Kansas St, West Virginia and Kansas were improved in 2017 over 2016. The only teams that you could make an argument as being really improved in 2017 are TCU and Iowa St.
Aberzombie1892
ShooterTX said:

Jay Square said:

Pretty much.

FPI says Oklahoma State was better, and that makes sense since 2017 Oklahoma State neither lost to Central Michigan or similar team nor would it have played a one score game against them or a similar team had they played. Beyond Oklahoma State, another 5 teams were better, so only four teams were objectively worse, but only 2 were worse by a notable amount - Baylor and WVU.

TCU, ISU, and Texas were significantly better.
ShooterTX
ColomboLQ said:

ShooterTX said:

Jay Square said:

It's hard to make the argument that Oklahoma St, Kansas St, West Virginia and Kansas were improved in 2017 over 2016. The only teams that you could make an argument as being really improved in 2017 are TCU and Iowa St.
WVU looked worse this year... I'll grant that one. I think KState was a wash.... no great improvement or decline.
The big difference was UT, ISU, and TCU. Obviously, I wasn't talking about Kansas... because I was talking about football. Kansas doesn't play football... not in any way that really counts.
But hey... let's look at KU for a second. They did a bit better in their OOC in 2017, than they did in 2016. They scored more points and their losses were closer scores; yet they were destroyed by much bigger margins in conference. In fact, you can look at the scores from 2016 & 2017 to see which teams improved.... especially TCU, ISU and UT. Looking at the scores, you can see why I say KState was a wash. They had a very weird year last season. Very inconsistent play. The big confusion was the loss to WVU. That was just weird. Then they turned around and beat ISU and OSU?? But they finished strong, with a big win over a Heisman candidate. I think KState is a good example of how many teams had improved last season.
Also consider this... OU, OSU and KState each had difficulties in conference play last season. Mostly they struggled (or lost) against the improved teams (ISU, TCU, and UT). All 3 of those teams had returning seniors at QB and many other skill positions. It was expected the OU and OSU would be the top teams again in the BigXII, and KState was expected to be in the top half of the conference. Instead, you had a Conference Championship game between OU and TCU, and KState ended the season at #6 in conference. Heck, there was mid-season speculation that the conference championship game could be between ISU and TCU. Amidst all that... can you see how a much weaker Baylor team, had such a bad season? Very few returning seniors; depth issues on OL and DL; losses at the skill positions; too many injuries; it all adds up to a very rough season.
Many of us had high expectations for 2017. I don't think any of us expected to see 8 of our 10 teams go to bowl games. Nor did anyone expect 5 of them to win, since everyone said the Big XII doesn't know how to play defense. Nor did anyone expect a grown man, who is payed millions of dollars each year, to dance around on the sidelines like a drunk chicken... but Pee Wee Herman didn't disappoint us!
No doubt about it. In 2017, Baylor was a far weaker team, playing in a vastly improved conference.
ShooterTX
In case you missed it...

Oso Pardo
I give you a blue star just for your shot at PeeWee.....ROFLMAO! UT loves them some cheeseburger buying, man kissing, drunk chicken, sideline dancing Whorn.

I hope CMR makes him cry sooner rather than later.
BaylorRocks
Mothra said:

This is going to be a really short thread. I know of only 2-3 posters that called for his firing after the first season. Many of us were unhappy and felt he underachieved, but recognized the man deserves at least 3 seasons to instill his system and try and turn it around.
15K 340+
ShooterTX
ColomboLQ said:

ShooterTX said:

In case you missed it...

All the Matt Rhule supporters have weeks worth of jerking off material here.

That's pretty nasty. It also explains alot about your views on sports. But I guess a CAB truther would think in those ways.

BTW, I'm not as much a Rhule supporter, as I am a Baylor fan. It's kinda natural to support your coach, when you love your school.

Mothra
zunooreo said:

Mothra said:

This is going to be a really short thread. I know of only 2-3 posters that called for his firing after the first season. Many of us were unhappy and felt he underachieved, but recognized the man deserves at least 3 seasons to instill his system and try and turn it around.
15K 340+
Still a dunce.
ColomboLQ
ShooterTX said:

ColomboLQ said:

ShooterTX said:

In case you missed it...

That's pretty nasty. It also explains alot about your views on sports. But I guess a CAB truther would think in those ways.

BTW, I'm not as much a Rhule supporter, as I am a Baylor fan. It's kinda natural to support your coach, when you love your school.

Just so you know, it's people like you that kept Kevin Steele here as a head coach for too many years. Congrats.
BaylorRocks
Reverend said:

BUbearinARK
ColomboLQ said:

ShooterTX said:

ColomboLQ said:

ShooterTX said:

In case you missed it...

Just so you know, it's people like you that kept Kevin Steele here as a head coach for too many years. Congrats.
NEWSFLASH: Internet posters on free sites supporting school responsible for previous bad coach's overstay.

Next up: NFL expansion to San Antonio to be led by Matt Rhule. Team name will be the Lil Mattys

source: internet
Friscobear
ColomboLQ said:

ShooterTX said:

ColomboLQ said:

ShooterTX said:

In case you missed it...

...and people like you would have fired Teaff and Briles after their first year.
“At the end of the day, for 40 minutes, we just kicked their ass.”

- Mark Vital
Timbear
No Frisco, Teaff came in after 3 wins in 3 years. Briles came in after about 3 wins in 15 years. (Joke) Rhule came in after great success.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.