Football
Sponsored by

CMR was not a Mistake

129,514 Views | 790 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GoldMind
BaylorRocks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

Mothra said:

This is going to be a really short thread. I know of only 2-3 posters that called for his firing after the first season. Many of us were unhappy and felt he underachieved, but recognized the man deserves at least 3 seasons to instill his system and try and turn it around.
26K 483
27K 487
28K 490
BUBear24
zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

Mothra said:

This is going to be a really short thread. I know of only 2-3 posters that called for his firing after the first season. Many of us were unhappy and felt he underachieved, but recognized the man deserves at least 3 seasons to instill his system and try and turn it around.
26K 483
27K 487
28K 490

This doesn't help any cause so I'm not sure the point of these. Especially when the thread keeps dying
BUbearinARK
Russell Gym
jbbear
TexasScientist said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

TexasScientist said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

RioRata said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

ShooterTX said:

BUbearinARK said:

Mothra said:

NoBSU said:

Mothra said:

cowboycwr said:

zunooreo said:

Mothra said:

LThis is going to be a really short thread. I know of only 2-3 posters that called for his firing after the first season. Many of us were unhappy and felt he underachieved, but recognized the man deserves at least 3 seasons to instill his system and try and turn it around.
22K 432

Did I miss something? What does that mean?
He's a CMR apologist who's butthurt over a sarcastic comment I made at the beginning of the thread. He said that this thread was "especially designed for those posters, err college football experts, who continue to endlessly call for CMR's firing after 1 season."

In response to his trolling, I suggested that this would be a short thread because pretty much nobody called for CMR to be fired after 1 season. He thinks the fact he keeps this thread alive disproves my sarcastic comment. As my dad would say, he's eaten up with the dumb@ss.

"pretty much nobody called for CMR to be fired" is a hilarious statement if you are including Sicem365 posters.

Pretty much nobody who mattered called for CMR to be fired would be accurate.

How many posters called for CMR to be fired after last season? Name them. I can think of maybe four.

There were plenty of people upset at how last season turned out, and rightly so. But call for his firing? No.
I think you're exactly right. A few outright called for it and many implied it not-so-tacitly, but could just be the same voices/opinions strongly stated over and over, which happens on both ends of the spectrum.

Maybe a simple up or down-vote football board poll with no middling, buts or ifs comments... "Do you think CMR should be fired?" Yes/no for example.

Agreed. Do a simple poll, and put it to rest. If you were the King of Baylor, and you had to renew his contract next week or let him go... what would you do?
That would be neat in abstract, but, in reality, it would have limited value since some posters would vote to remove Rhule without being realistic about what coaching alternatives would be available, as some posters in this forum have even envisioned Baylor hiring coaches like Mike Gundy or Art Briles back and hires of that nature would be off the table.

Basically, removing him is a binary decision, but the aftermath of that decision would make that decision more complicated.

How about a coach that can beat Liberty and/or out coach Turner Gill. Doesn't seem like such a monumental accomplishment.

Hey, wait... didn't we used to have a coach that could do both???

It's unclear what the point of this was.
The point, I think, is if BU wanted to continue competition at the level it had achieved, after the debacle of the BOR, it should have invested the money necessary to hire a coach with a proven track record at the top. Dipping down into the lower echelon of programs for a coach, is a gamble unlikely to succeed. Very similar to when we hired Steele. Hope I'm wrong.
Who would Baylor have -realistically- brought in instead that would have had a indisputably better resume and potential than Rhule at the time he was hired?
I gave Les Miles as an example in previous post.
Where's Les currently coaching? Ooops. And I don't recall a top program at the time like Oregon offering Steele a job. At least you weren't ridiculous enough to mention Sonny Dykes.
TexasScientist
jbbear said:

TexasScientist said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

TexasScientist said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

RioRata said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

ShooterTX said:

BUbearinARK said:

Mothra said:

NoBSU said:

Mothra said:

cowboycwr said:

zunooreo said:

Mothra said:

LThis is going to be a really short thread. I know of only 2-3 posters that called for his firing after the first season. Many of us were unhappy and felt he underachieved, but recognized the man deserves at least 3 seasons to instill his system and try and turn it around.
22K 432

He's a CMR apologist who's butthurt over a sarcastic comment I made at the beginning of the thread. He said that this thread was "especially designed for those posters, err college football experts, who continue to endlessly call for CMR's firing after 1 season."

In response to his trolling, I suggested that this would be a short thread because pretty much nobody called for CMR to be fired after 1 season. He thinks the fact he keeps this thread alive disproves my sarcastic comment. As my dad would say, he's eaten up with the dumb@ss.

"pretty much nobody called for CMR to be fired" is a hilarious statement if you are including Sicem365 posters.

How many posters called for CMR to be fired after last season? Name them. I can think of maybe four.

There were plenty of people upset at how last season turned out, and rightly so. But call for his firing? No.
I think you're exactly right. A few outright called for it and many implied it not-so-tacitly, but could just be the same voices/opinions strongly stated over and over, which happens on both ends of the spectrum.

Maybe a simple up or down-vote football board poll with no middling, buts or ifs comments... "Do you think CMR should be fired?" Yes/no for example.

Agreed. Do a simple poll, and put it to rest. If you were the King of Baylor, and you had to renew his contract next week or let him go... what would you do?
That would be neat in abstract, but, in reality, it would have limited value since some posters would vote to remove Rhule without being realistic about what coaching alternatives would be available, as some posters in this forum have even envisioned Baylor hiring coaches like Mike Gundy or Art Briles back and hires of that nature would be off the table.

Basically, removing him is a binary decision, but the aftermath of that decision would make that decision more complicated.

How about a coach that can beat Liberty and/or out coach Turner Gill. Doesn't seem like such a monumental accomplishment.

The point, I think, is if BU wanted to continue competition at the level it had achieved, after the debacle of the BOR, it should have invested the money necessary to hire a coach with a proven track record at the top. Dipping down into the lower echelon of programs for a coach, is a gamble unlikely to succeed. Very similar to when we hired Steele. Hope I'm wrong.
Who would Baylor have -realistically- brought in instead that would have had a indisputably better resume and potential than Rhule at the time he was hired?
Where's Les currently coaching? Ooops. And I don't recall a top program at the time like Oregon offering Steele a job. At least you weren't ridiculous enough to mention Sonny Dykes.
Steele and Dykes? I don't think so. What about Tom Herman? Baylor could have gone after him with enough $$ to get his interest. So far Rhule's W/L overall record at Baylor is worse than Steele's after 1st year.
ShooterTX
TexasScientist said:

jbbear said:

TexasScientist said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

TexasScientist said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

RioRata said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

ShooterTX said:

BUbearinARK said:

Mothra said:

NoBSU said:

Mothra said:

cowboycwr said:

zunooreo said:

Mothra said:

22K 432

Steele and Dykes? I don't think so. What about Tom Herman? Baylor could have gone after him with enough $$ to get his interest. So far Rhule's W/L overall record at Baylor is worse than Steele's after 1st year.

Tom Hermann made it very clear to everyone in the nation, that he wanted the job at UT. Money would not have enticed Herman away from his dream job. It's a fantasy to think we could have him come to Baylor. Try again.

BUbearinARK
Not dead yet!
I’m an optimist!

And /S in case I missed it

TE
Matthew Klopfenstein 1 catch/5 yds
BUBear24
TexasScientist said:

jbbear said:

TexasScientist said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

TexasScientist said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

RioRata said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

ShooterTX said:

BUbearinARK said:

Mothra said:

NoBSU said:

Mothra said:

cowboycwr said:

zunooreo said:

Mothra said:

22K 432

We had a small outside shot at one point until this turned into a massive bidding war between UT/LSU. We may have money that could have equaled theirs monetarily, but LSU and UT will always have a leg up on recruiting just because of what's printed on the side of their helmets. He was a GA at UT too so it was somewhat similar to the Chad Morris dilemma. He could've been a good coach but bolt for TAMU after one or two good years, his alma mater.
jbbear
TexasScientist said:

jbbear said:

TexasScientist said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

TexasScientist said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

RioRata said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

ShooterTX said:

BUbearinARK said:

Mothra said:

NoBSU said:

Mothra said:

cowboycwr said:

zunooreo said:

Mothra said:

22K 432

My point is no one was chasing Steele as a head coach but us. Last year, Oregon offered the HC job to Rhule. Overall record doesn't always tell the full story.......Steele's teams were NEVER competitive during his tenure. I know 1-11 was brutal, but we were competitive in the vast majority of the games last year. I am very aware you have to win but to compare last year to any year under Steele is plain stupid.
BaylorRocks
BUbearinARK said:

Not dead yet!

TexasScientist
jbbear said:

TexasScientist said:

jbbear said:

TexasScientist said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

TexasScientist said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

RioRata said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

ShooterTX said:

BUbearinARK said:

Mothra said:

NoBSU said:

Mothra said:

cowboycwr said:

zunooreo said:

Mothra said:

22K 432

My point is no one was chasing Steele as a head coach but us. Last year, Oregon offered the HC job to Rhule. Overall record doesn't always tell the full story.......Steele's teams were NEVER competitive during his tenure. I know 1-11 was brutal, but we were competitive in the vast majority of the games last year. I am very aware you have to win but to compare last year to any year under Steele is plain stupid.
I get your point, But, Steele never lost to the likes of Liberty or UTSA. I hope I'm wrong, but I think CMR was a poor selection by an administration in panic mode. I don't think he's the guy to Make Baylor Great Again. LOL We'll see.
oldbear69
Who remembers this mistake....
BaylorRocks
zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

Mothra said:

26K 483
27K 487
28K 490
29K 503
BaylorRocks
BUbearinARK said:

Not dead yet!

Loaded4Bear
zunooreo said:

BUbearinARK said:

Not dead yet!

1-11 could be considered "on life support."
"It it ain't broke, get a bigger hammer!"
PacificBear
You happy if we go 4-0 then lose the rest?? Pay raise for more ping-pong?
BaylorRocks
Loaded4Bear said:

zunooreo said:

BUbearinARK said:

Not dead yet!

1-11 could be considered "on life support."
Queue a "Liberty" angled comment coming here soon.......
BaylorRocks
zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

Mothra said:

26K 483
27K 487
28K 490
29K 503
30K 508
BaylorRocks
zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

Mothra said:

hodedofome
BUBear24 said:

TexasScientist said:

jbbear said:

TexasScientist said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

TexasScientist said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

RioRata said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

ShooterTX said:

BUbearinARK said:

Mothra said:

NoBSU said:

Mothra said:

cowboycwr said:

zunooreo said:

Mothra said:

22K 432

We had a small outside shot at one point until this turned into a massive bidding war between UT/LSU. We may have money that could have equaled theirs monetarily, but LSU and UT will always have a leg up on recruiting just because of what's printed on the side of their helmets. He was a GA at UT too so it was somewhat similar to the Chad Morris dilemma. He could've been a good coach but bolt for TAMU after one or two good years, his alma mater.

We sure dodged a bullet missing out on those guys. We instead got ourselves a coach that'll bolt for the nfl after a few good years.
Mothra
zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

Mothra said:

Won't let it die, will ya little buddy?
BaylorRocks
zunooreo said:

Thread especially designed for those posters, err college football experts, who continue to endlessly call for CMR's firing after 1 season. No more need to work at diverting other Football threads/topics to your "Jersey" agenda. All of you can simply live here in one place, complain, beech, and bestow football expertise in unison, love on each other, and bask in your ability to lead this program to 11 win seasons, forever if you want to.

Consider this your very own, shiny brand new, open play field and courtroom. You're welcome, and enjoy!

Cheers,
Timbear
There's no question that Baylor will be improving. As for as a coach staying for a long time, except for a handful of schools, most coaches have future goals that do not include their present position.
jbbear
Mothra said:

Zunooreo is a clown.
Coming from you, that's a compliment.
Mothra
jbbear said:

Mothra said:

Zunooreo is a clown.
Coming from you, that's a compliment.
You mad about something,.bro?
Guy Noir
Timbear said:

There's no question that Baylor will be improving. As for as a coach staying for a long time, except for a handful of schools, most coaches have future goals that do not include their present position.
Actually, that is the very question I have this year. Will the Bears improve, and how much? Everything is just speculation until the season arrives.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

Everything is just speculation until the season arrives.
Indeed, they play the games to see who will win.
Illigitimus non carborundum
Russell Gym
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

Otherwise, it's just a beauty pageant. Thankfully, it's not.
BUBear24
Russell Gym said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

Did you not see our players today? We definitely would've won that today .
Russell Gym
BUBear24 said:

Russell Gym said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

Did you not see our players today? We definitely would've won that today .

I did not. I was referring to our long history of no one giving us a chance & crowning the blue blood beauties before competition.
BaylorRocks
zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

Mothra said:

26K 483
27K 487
28K 490
29K 503
30K 508
31K 521
Guy Noir
zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

Mothra said:

26K 483
27K 487
28K 490
29K 503
30K 508
31K 521
What does this stuff mean?
TexasScientist
Guy Noir said:

zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

Mothra said:

26K 483
27K 487
28K 490
29K 503
30K 508
31K 521
What does this stuff mean?
It's the count on looks and comments to the thread.
Loaded4Bear
zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

zunooreo said:

Mothra said:

26K 483
27K 487
28K 490
29K 503
30K 508
31K 521
Still 1-11.
"It it ain't broke, get a bigger hammer!"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.