Football
Sponsored by

CMR was not a Mistake

129,254 Views | 790 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GoldMind
Gust Avrakotos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BaylorOkie said:

This whole "who would come to Baylor" question continues to be absolutely ridiculous. The people that ask it think that Baylor has to convince a proven, established P5 coach to come to Waco in order to be successful. The reality is that Baylor would most likely hire a top coordinator or a G5 head coach. It wasn't hard to get Briles or Rhule, so why couldn't another up and coming coach be lured? To think otherwise is ridiculous. If you have competent people in place to make the hire, a quality coach will come.

Yes completely agree. This bull**** had been thrown out by the pumpers for years to justify holding onto pathetic coaches.

With Jerseys raise that he got for talking to the Colts, he's approaching 5M year. Let's go out there on the street and offer that and a 5 yr contract and I will show these pansies who we can get.

Krieg
GoldMind said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Briles I no longer care about, he's gone.

Unless CMR can go 6-6 this season he is Steele 2.0, or Beall 3.0 and should be shown the door.

You have to admit 1-11 and a loss to Liberty is one hell of a calling card and certainly ought to make us feel confident.

Are you guys still down with the process if we go 3-9? 2-10? I mean the percentage improvements would be huge.

Who would you replace him with if he's shown the door? That's what the **** I want to hear from y'all.

Dabo?
Bellichick?
Tom Landry?

It's better to hire someone that might succeed (literally anyone) than a known failure. Don't fire him after 1 season, but I'd fire him if he lost to ACU or won less than 3 games this year. Why keep him if that happens? We'd know he's never winning here, so why not take a chance on someone else?

Six is a must in year 3 for his job if I'm his boss.
PartyBear
The hypo is ridiculous anyway. Why are y'all even asking "who would we hire if we fired him after one year?". We didn't fire him after one year. Rhule is the HC now and at least through the end of the 18 season.
80sBEAR
PartyBear said:

The hypo is ridiculous anyway. Why are y'all even asking "who would we hire if we fired him after one year?". We didn't fire him after one year. Rhule is the HC now and at least through the end of the 18 season.
Looking back, we should have fired Kevin Steele immediately following the UNLV game. Instead, we endured three more years of futility and pain. Funny how history has a way of repeating itself.
"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland
PartyBear
We aren't doing that again. Rhule is gone if 18 is screwed up. Rhule has already said there is no excuse for not being bowl eligible in 18.
OldSchoolBU
Mothra said:

This is going to be a really short thread. I know of only 2-3 posters that called for his firing after the first season. Many of us were unhappy and felt he underachieved, but recognized the man deserves at least 3 seasons to instill his system and try and turn it around.
109+ replies and 3,000+ clicks later...

Rhule needs to win 6+ this year and I think he will. I'll give him a pass for last year but he's not here to get merit badges. In this day and age, if you don't win in football and men's basketball, you won't be drawing the big salaries very long.
The past is last! Be a champion today!
Mothra
Just FYI I was being sarcastic. His thread invited only those who thought Rhule should have been fired after the season - which as I pointed out was only 2-3 posters.
BaylorRocks
80sBEAR
zunooreo said:

"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland
Gust Avrakotos
I don't really understand this so called badge of honor for not wanting him gone. Do u guys want a ribbon or something?

I don't tolerate losing, even in year one when it is compounded by a loss to liberty. Who loses to Liberty?
Aberzombie1892
BaylorOkie said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

BaylorOkie said:

This whole "who would come to Baylor" question continues to be absolutely ridiculous. The people that ask it think that Baylor has to convince a proven, established P5 coach to come to Waco in order to be successful. The reality is that Baylor would most likely hire a top coordinator or a G5 head coach. It wasn't hard to get Briles or Rhule, so why couldn't another up and coming coach be lured? To think otherwise is ridiculous. If you have competent people in place to make the hire, a quality coach will come.

Firing Rhule after one year would make Baylor an unattractive job to a successful coach and everyone, including the Baylor admin, knows this.
Much like how one of the worst scandals in college football history made it unattractive.

Edit: sorry, I fat fingered my phone screen, didn't mean to add the emoticon.

Did it not? What proven P5 coach was going to come to Baylor?
Timbear
Chad Morris would have come a week later, and not changed a thing.
BaylorRocks
Gust Avrakotos said:

I don't really understand this so called badge of honor for not wanting him gone. Do u guys want a ribbon or something?

I don't tolerate losing, even in year one when it is compounded by a loss to liberty. Who loses to Liberty?
For Gus.....

So many standing on the Liberty loss as their case. Small consolation, but we shouldn't forget that there were several anomalies in play that first game:
- Starting Anu was clearly the wrong QB (which proved out over the next few games);
- young receivers making a couple of wrong cuts in their very first game;
- Blake playing his very first game at DB;
- and a fluke scramble Flame TD by a QB experiencing the game of his entire career.

Perhaps highlights will remind us of that.

ColomboLQ
zunooreo said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

For Gus.....

So many standing on the Liberty loss as their case. Small consolation, but we shouldn't forget that there were several anomalies in play that first game:
- Starting Anu was clearly the wrong QB (which proved out over the next few games);
- and a fluke scramble Flame TD by a QB experiencing the game of his entire career.

You're right. The rest of the season would go on to show just how much of a fluke that loss was.
BUbearinARK
Gust Avrakotos said:

I know LIBERTY! Total looser. Doesn't matter 2 or 40 points I know a loss...11 if you can count!! And having been on the Internet all these years the see-only-gooders can keep us in RUINS by their sunny disposition. Rhule has to be lying or fast talking to be getting top recruits, especially with such a lost look on his face. I mean get some botox! They and their parents must believe in unicorns with the lollipops and rainbows. There can be no potential plan or way to build or perspective we're not seeing on the Internet!! Impossible!

NO RIBBONS! Only "goody goldy Matty Rhullies" medals!!

Hey, there is a rainbow here guys! /s x
BUbearinARK
Oops
BaylorOkie
Aberzombie1892 said:

BaylorOkie said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

BaylorOkie said:

Firing Rhule after one year would make Baylor an unattractive job to a successful coach and everyone, including the Baylor admin, knows this.
Much like how one of the worst scandals in college football history made it unattractive.

Edit: sorry, I fat fingered my phone screen, didn't mean to add the emoticon.

Did it not? What proven P5 coach was going to come to Baylor?
Goodness. I said in my previous post that Baylor doesn't hire proven P5 coaches, it would most likely hire coordinators or G5 head coaches - up and coming prospects. I thought I made that clear when I clearly stated it.

Programs like Baylor are very unlikely to get upper level P5 head coaches. I'm not talking about retreads, or guys that have been fired like Les Miles. Of course it's possible, if a rare and specific circumstance occurred. But it's very unlikely.
Yogi
1. Baylor made a mistake in firing Art Briles.

2. Baylor did not make a mistake hiring Matt Rhule. Among the available candidates, Rhule was the best.

3. Very few national championship coaches begin their quest at 1-11.

4. In all truth, Baylor has probably accepted being pushed toward the cellar of the Big XII in football for the time being, but that does help fulfill Baylor's mission of pleasing Jesus through losing.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
D. C. Bear
ColomboLQ said:

zunooreo said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

For Gus.....

You're right. The rest of the season would go on to show just how much of a fluke that loss was.

Actually, most of the losses that followed, and the lone win, showed exactly that.
Stranger
D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

zunooreo said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

For Gus.....

Actually, most of the losses that followed, and the lone win, showed exactly that.

So DC, are you saying those other ten losses (after Liberty) were "quality" losses?

I can't remember much good about any of them.
I'm a Bearbacker
OldSchoolBU
Yogi said:

1. Baylor made a mistake in firing Art Briles.

2. Baylor did not make a mistake hiring Matt Rhule. Among the available candidates, Rhule was the best.

3. Very few national championship coaches begin their quest at 1-11.

4. In all truth, Baylor has probably accepted being pushed toward the cellar of the Big XII in football for the time being, but that does help fulfill Baylor's mission of pleasing Jesus through losing.
some serious battered wife syndrome here. Take a deep breath and understand that Baylor is making a big financial commitment to football. They are trying to win and not just win games against Liberty. They are pouring resources into winning championships just like they did with Briles. Will they be successful? Time will tell but to act like Rhule did us a favor in coming to Baylor and that Baylor has accepted being doormats is loser talk. Get out of here with that garbage.
The past is last! Be a champion today!
ColomboLQ
D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

zunooreo said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

For Gus.....

Sure did!
D. C. Bear
Stranger said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

zunooreo said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

For Gus.....

So DC, are you saying those other ten losses (after Liberty) were "quality" losses?

All the other games were data that told us about the Bears' potential. Whether they were wins or losses is beside the point. Losing to Liberty was a fluke that never should have happened, and saying otherwise is ridiculous.
Stranger
D. C. Bear said:

Stranger said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

zunooreo said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

For Gus.....

All the other games were data that told us about the Bears' potential. Whether they were wins or losses is beside the point. Losing to Liberty was a fluke that never should have happened, and saying otherwise is ridiculous.

I say otherwise so I'm ridiculous? Didn't look like a fluke to me. Baylor looked out coached and unprepared to me. That's all about coaching or lack of the same. Our boy Matty appears to be in over his head.
I'm a Bearbacker
4th and Inches
Stranger said:

D. C. Bear said:

Stranger said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

zunooreo said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

For Gus.....

I say otherwise so I'm ridiculous? Didn't look like a fluke to me. Baylor looked out coached and unprepared to me. That's all about coaching or lack of the same. Our boy Matty appears to be in over his head.
yes, losing to Liberty is bad- the team only had 2 blow out losses, many of the games were winnable and they just didnt get it done. The team struggled last year thru lack of depth and coaching issues. This year will tell the tale, i give him this year before deciding if he is over his head or not...
D. C. Bear
Stranger said:

D. C. Bear said:

Stranger said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

zunooreo said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

For Gus.....

If you think Liberty had any business beating Baylor, you're being ridiculous.

Krieg
zunooreo said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

For Gus.....

Two of those were decisions made by the coaching staff, which is part of the problem.

That said, anyone that actually watched that game knows that Anu was the only thing that offense didn't suck at in that game. Without him scrambling we'd have been blown out, which actually makes that loss even worse.
Krieg
BUbearinARK said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

I know LIBERTY! Total looser. Doesn't matter 2 or 40 points I know a loss...11 if you can count!! And having been on the Internet all these years the see-only-gooders can keep us in RUINS by their sunny disposition. Rhule has to be lying or fast talking to be getting top recruits, especially with such a lost look on his face. I mean get some botox! They and their parents must believe in unicorns with the lollipops and rainbows. There can be no potential plan or way to build or perspective we're not seeing on the Internet!! Impossible!

NO RIBBONS! Only "goody goldy Matty Rhullies" medals!!

Hey, there is a rainbow here guys! /s x

Dude, the recruiting class was good considering we went 1-11, but we didn't have top recruits. We were 30th in the composite rankings.
Krieg
D. C. Bear said:

Stranger said:

D. C. Bear said:

Stranger said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

zunooreo said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

For Gus.....

If you think Liberty had any business beating Baylor, you're being ridiculous.

For any of the 129 other FBS coaches last year, you'd be correct. That's how bad that loss really was, it's a loss Steele never made and he had FAR worse talent. Liberty was a mediocre FCS team and we lost to them. No FBS team should've lost to that Liberty team under any circumstances.
DoubleBearClaw
GoldMind said:

BylrFan said:

BeerThief said:

They can also tell us why briles and shillinglaw dropped their lawsuits while theyre at it. Since theyre innocent and whatnot.

Guilty people don't get paid 15 million.

Innocent people don't get fired.

You need to expand your world perspective a little if you truly believe that statement.
DoubleBearClaw
bunation said:

Rhule WAS THE RIGHT HIRE - BETTER THAN WE DESERVED GIVEN THE MEDIA ONSLAUGHT.

Great recruiter.

Underestimated some things.
Crippled by departures & injuries.
Mediocre offensive line.
Coordinators were poor.
Too many "news." New state. New conference. New players. New coaches. New office/bathroom. New pressures from insane media. New BOR. New fans.

I'll gladly give him another year.
I'm not happy with CMR's performance up to this point, but his recruiting, the reasons listed above, and his willingness to come here and help us during this mess buys him two more seasons in my book.

I liked CAB too, but the actual mess we should be concerned about was made worse by the BOR and we should cut CMR a little slack.

CAB has also done a lot for Baylor and its not fair for us to forget that. Not appreciating the things people have done for you is not an admirable personal trait either.

Just because you may support CAB doesn't mean you cant support CMR too, we all have a bigger common disgrace among us. I would really like to see this pissing match end so that everyone's outrage can be focused on where it needs to be.

-DBC

cowboycwr
D. C. Bear said:

Stranger said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

zunooreo said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

For Gus.....

Nobody looks back at a season and says "but they had potential" years later. That talk may happen right after the season, like with Virginia losing in the first round, or after the National Championship game, super bowl, etc.

They look back and say "what was the record?"

Did they win games, conference championships, compete for national championships, win them? Those are the things people look back at.
bearlyafarmer
GoldMind said:

BylrFan said:

BeerThief said:

They can also tell us why briles and shillinglaw dropped their lawsuits while theyre at it. Since theyre innocent and whatnot.

Guilty people don't get paid 15 million.

Innocent people don't get fired.
Just curious. In your opinion, which is worse: getting fired, or getting crucified?
bearlyafarmer
zunooreo said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

For Gus.....

That observation about Liberty's QB having the game of his entire career against a P5 team instead of against some inferior team is very astute.
Krieg
DoubleBearClaw said:

bunation said:

Rhule WAS THE RIGHT HIRE - BETTER THAN WE DESERVED GIVEN THE MEDIA ONSLAUGHT.

Great recruiter.

Underestimated some things.
Crippled by departures & injuries.
Mediocre offensive line.
Coordinators were poor.
Too many "news." New state. New conference. New players. New coaches. New office/bathroom. New pressures from insane media. New BOR. New fans.

I'll gladly give him another year.
I'm not happy with CMR's performance up to this point, but his recruiting, the reasons listed above, and his willingness to come here and help us during this mess buys him two more seasons in my book.

I liked CAB too, but the actual mess we should be concerned about was made worse by the BOR and we should cut CMR a little slack.

CAB has also done a lot for Baylor and its not fair for us to forget that. Not appreciating the things people have done for you is not an admirable personal trait either.

Just because you may support CAB doesn't mean you cant support CMR too, we all have a bigger common disgrace among us. I would really like to see this pissing match end so that everyone's outrage can be focused on where it needs to be.

-DBC

I agree, but we should give him year 3 only if we're a lot better in year 2. We win less than 4 games and he'll never succeed here, realistically. That should be his bar for termination with one of 6 wins next year.

He also should've been told this months ago.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.