Football
Sponsored by

CMR was not a Mistake

130,036 Views | 790 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GoldMind
EatMoreSalmon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
GoldMind said:

CorsicanaBear said:

XBriles I no longer care about, he's gone.

Unless CMR can go 6-6 this season he is Steele 2.0, or Beall 3.0 and should be shown the door.

You have to admit 1-11 and a loss to Liberty is one hell of a calling card and certainly ought to make us feel confident.

Are you guys still down with the process if we go 3-9? 2-10? I mean the percentage improvements would be huge.

Who would you replace him with if he's shown the door? That's what the **** I want to hear from y'all.

Dabo?
Bellichick?
Tom Landry?
Brenda Tracy
Doc Holliday
bunation said:

Rhule WAS THE RIGHT HIRE - BETTER THAN WE DESERVED GIVEN THE MEDIA ONSLAUGHT.

Great recruiter.

Underestimated some things.
Crippled by departures & injuries.
Mediocre offensive line.
Coordinators were poor.
Too many "news." New state. New conference. New players. New coaches. New office/bathroom. New pressures from insane media. New BOR. New fans.

I'll gladly give him another year.
Ill give him another year as well. But if he loses a single OOC game, he needs to be fired on the spot.
drahthaar
Doc Holliday said:

bunation said:

GRhule WAS THE RIGHT HIRE - BETTER THAN WE DESERVED GIVEN THE MEDIA ONSLAUGHT.

Great recruiter.

Mediocre offensive line.
Coordinators were poor.
Too many "news." New state. New conference. New players. New coaches. New office/bathroom. New pressures from insane media. New BOR. New fans.

Ill give him another year as well. But if he loses a single OOC game, he needs to be fired on the spot.

If we go O-fer in OOC, that may well happen, despite the party line out of Highers. Baylor has a ton of restless natives on their hands, largely due to distrust. Fortunately, that is unlikely to happen.
Eball
The Ironic thing is...those/most of us critical of CMR for 1-11 last season will be thrilled with four wins and marked improvement...those who think CMR is lock for the Hall of Fame will be calling for his head if he does not make a bowl. fickle fans...
drahthaar
Eball said:

The Ironic thing is...those/most of us critical of CMR for 1-11 last season will be thrilled with four wins and marked improvement...those who think CMR is lock for the Hall of Fame will be calling for his head if he does not make a bowl. fickle fans...

Personally, four wins isn't much improvement. There are no more "gimmes" anymore but our OOC is as close as you can get and still call yourself a P5 school.

Now, four wins in league play will get my attention, so long as we aren't run out of the stadium like we were a few times last year. That's be some serious progress IMO.
BylrFan
Rhule has set the standard to 6 wins himself. Anything less is a failure
drahthaar
BylrFan said:

Rhule has set the standard to 6 wins himself. Anything less is a failure

Yep, pretty much is.
Not an unreasonable goal, either.
Stranger
witchmo said:

Doc Holliday said:

bunation said:

Great recruiter.

Mediocre offensive line.
Coordinators were poor.

If we go O-fer in OOC, that may well happen, despite the party line out of Highers. Baylor has a ton of restless natives on their hands, largely due to distrust. Fortunately, that is unlikely to happen.

Little Matty=Steele.2=Beall.2
I'm a Bearbacker
D. C. Bear
Stranger said:

witchmo said:

Doc Holliday said:

bunation said:

Great recruiter.

Mediocre offensive line.
Coordinators were poor.

What did Coach Rhule do to you to make you think you should act like an ass?
Russell Gym
D. C. Bear said:

Stranger said:

witchmo said:

Doc Holliday said:

bunation said:

Great recruiter.

Mediocre offensive line.
Coordinators were poor.

Name-calling a grown ass man behind an anonymous screen name is pathetic.
drahthaar
Stranger said:

witchmo said:

Doc Holliday said:

bunation said:

Great recruiter.

Mediocre offensive line.
Coordinators were poor.

LOL!
Malbec
Russell Gym said:

D. C. Bear said:

Stranger said:

witchmo said:

Doc Holliday said:

bunation said:

Great recruiter.

Mediocre offensive line.
Coordinators were poor.

I agree with you. But, apparently it's only pathetic if it's Rhule being name-called. Be the standard!
Aberzombie1892
GoldMind said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Briles I no longer care about, he's gone.

Unless CMR can go 6-6 this season he is Steele 2.0, or Beall 3.0 and should be shown the door.

You have to admit 1-11 and a loss to Liberty is one hell of a calling card and certainly ought to make us feel confident.

Are you guys still down with the process if we go 3-9? 2-10? I mean the percentage improvements would be huge.

Who would you replace him with if he's shown the door? That's what the **** I want to hear from y'all.

Dabo?
Bellichick?
Tom Landry?

That really is a good question that some may not have seriously contemplated. Even if we move past the stage of determining whose fault last season was and move to removing Rhule, who worthwhile would come to Baylor if it fired Rhule after one season?

Les Miles, with one of the best rosters, collection of boosters, fanbases, recruiting grounds (with minimal competition), supporting legislatures (various issues including TOPS), etc. in all of FBS, won his division twice in 11 years in an 8 game conference schedule conference.
BaylorOkie
This whole "who would come to Baylor" question continues to be absolutely ridiculous. The people that ask it think that Baylor has to convince a proven, established P5 coach to come to Waco in order to be successful. The reality is that Baylor would most likely hire a top coordinator or a G5 head coach. It wasn't hard to get Briles or Rhule, so why couldn't another up and coming coach be lured? To think otherwise is ridiculous. If you have competent people in place to make the hire, a quality coach will come.
D. C. Bear
BaylorOkie said:

This whole "who would come to Baylor" question continues to be absolutely ridiculous. The people that ask it think that Baylor has to convince a proven, established P5 coach to come to Waco in order to be successful. The reality is that Baylor would most likely hire a top coordinator or a G5 head coach. It wasn't hard to get Briles or Rhule, so why couldn't another up and coming coach be lured? To think otherwise is ridiculous. If you have competent people in place to make the hire, a quality coach will come.

Yep. It hasn't been hard to get a coach to come to Baylor since we lucked out with Grant Teaff more than 40 years ago.
Stranger
D. C. Bear said:

Stranger said:

witchmo said:

Doc Holliday said:

bunation said:

Great recruiter.

Mediocre offensive line.
Coordinators were poor.

It's just an affectionate name. I didn't call him phony Matty, Lying Matty, Disappointing Matty or Transient Matty or any other disparaging name. I certainly didn't act like an ass. Sometimes your behavior toward me is questionable but I wouldn't go as far as call you an ass. You're a sunshine pumper and I tend to be a cynic or a realist. As for me, I love Baylor and you do to.

Little Matty doesn't impress me. I've met him before and his name was Steele. Let's hope I'm wrong.
I'm a Bearbacker
D. C. Bear
Stranger said:

D. C. Bear said:

Stranger said:

witchmo said:

Doc Holliday said:

bunation said:

Great recruiter.

Mediocre offensive line.
Coordinators were poor.

It's just an affectionate name. I didn't call him phony Matty, Lying Matty, Disappointing Matty or Transient Matty or any other disparaging name. I certainly didn't act like an ass. Sometimes your behavior toward me is questionable but I wouldn't go as far as call you an ass. You're a sunshine pumper and I tend to be a cynic or a realist. As for me, I love Baylor and you do to.

Little Matty doesn't impress me. I've met him before and his name was Steele. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Calling a grown man "Little Matty" is being a condescending ass. You should just own it.
Russell Gym
Malbec said:

Russell Gym said:

D. C. Bear said:

Stranger said:

witchmo said:

Doc Holliday said:

bunation said:

Great recruiter.

Mediocre offensive line.
Coordinators were poor.

I agree with you. But, apparently it's only pathetic if it's Rhule being name-called. Be the standard!

Why is it only pathetic if it's Rhule? I think it's a pathetic action regardless of which grown ass man is name-called by an anonymous poster. Briles, McCaw, Starr, Rhoads, assistant coaches, etc.

Use your real name if you're going to name-call a real name adult. That's being the standard!
Malbec
Russell Gym said:

Malbec said:

Russell Gym said:

D. C. Bear said:

Stranger said:

witchmo said:

Doc Holliday said:

bunation said:

Great recruiter.

Mediocre offensive line.
Coordinators were poor.

Why is it only pathetic if it's Rhule? I think it's a pathetic action regardless of which grown ass man is name-called by an anonymous poster. Briles, McCaw, Starr, Rhoads, assistant coaches, etc.

Use your real name if you're going to name-call a real name adult. That's being the standard!
My point was that the name caller only seems to get chastised if he's putting a moniker on Rhule. Hence, the descriptor "apparently."
Russell Gym
Malbec said:

Russell Gym said:

Malbec said:

Russell Gym said:

D. C. Bear said:

Stranger said:

witchmo said:

Doc Holliday said:

bunation said:

Great recruiter.

Mediocre offensive line.
Coordinators were poor.

My point was that the name caller only seems to get chastised if he's putting a moniker on Rhule. Hence, the descriptor "apparently."

I apparently needed additional clarification. Thanks!
D. C. Bear
Malbec said:

Russell Gym said:

Malbec said:

Russell Gym said:

D. C. Bear said:

Stranger said:

witchmo said:

Doc Holliday said:

bunation said:

Great recruiter.

Mediocre offensive line.
Coordinators were poor.

Who else is Stranger calling the equivalent of "Little Matty?"
Mothra
GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Doc Holliday said:

GoldMind said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Dabo?
Bellichick?
Tom Landry?
Les Miles

He was such a good option, it's a shame he got schooped up by another school so quick.
Well, to be fair, his overall record and resume are better than CMR's, and he won a natty, but who's counting?

And what is "schooped"? Another millennial term my geriatric butt doesn't understand?

Oh I'm sorry, gramps, he didn't and still hasn't get hired. ****ty Purdue wouldn't even hire him.
Awesome, dodged a bullet then. He sucks. I bet he wouldn't have won more than a game this past season.

As for "schooped"?

You said that a spread system would help mask our offensive deficiencies, and you're standing up for Les Miles...

Wrong on both counts. Not standing up for Miles, nor did I say a spread would mask our offensive deficiencies. We ran a spread, just in case you were unaware.

Want to try again?

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

BUBear24 said:

Mothra said:

BUBear24 said:

sicemkentucky said:

GoldMind said:

Define worst.

Unbearable content?
Merciless negativity?
Horrible opinions?

The list is shorter over here than the miles of dopes on the poor board.
What really amazes me about that crap fest across the tracks is that they completely ignore the valuable stuff that is pinned at the top. Those posts have 1-5 posts, while they have a thread with over a 1000 posts about how much they hate our coach. I wish I could hack stuff, would shut that place down in a hurry.

This X 1000. One of them even made the comment that they have more posts on the never ending CAB/BOR fight 3 years running now over all the free pieces the guys put out to entice them..

And you wonder why they all assume we run a pro system..

Well, to be fair, in this "multiple" offense, Nixon has said his passing game is "pro style," while the running game incorporates more spread and Oregon-style elements.

I wish it was the opposite.

Understand I'm more referring to the 6-7 posters who can't seem to veer from this Big-10, pound in the dirt running game that is completely untrue. It's just as annoying as the Jersey/Fhule nicknames from the arm chair QBs over there. I like conversing on both boards as you know, but most conversations over there digress to a kindergarten mentality until someone gets mad and takes their toys home from the sandbox.

What even funnier to me are those who pretend like briles way is the only way we can win games. Or that the Big10 pound it in the dirt style doesn't win games.

Any offensive system works with the correct personnel.
Gotta disagree with this. Name me all of the teams this past decade that won a natty with the Big 10 pound it in the dirt style? I can't think of one. The closest is Alabama, which converted to a pro-style spread about 6 years ago. The Ohio State's, Alabama, and Clemson's of the world are running a whole lot more spread concepts than plow the earth concepts.

Those systems aren't winning nattys anymore. Briles system was so effective because it could equalize the immense talent gap between teams like Baylor and the blue-bloods. Whether we can have that same kind of success without what was our great equalizer remains to be seen.

Oh I'm sorry, talent gap. Not offensive efficiency.

Les Miles couldn't win with a roster full of 4 and 5 stars but he's gonna come here and win.

LoL
Wrong again. I said Briles' system masked talent deficiencies. I also didn't advocate for Les Miles.

I hope your reading comprehension will improve in the near future.

What the actual ****? You really gonna split hairs between "gap" and "deficiencies" ?

Clearly you're reading comprehension sucks since I quoted your own post and you didn't even bother to read it.

I give up. Have fun, Simple Jack
I can't believe I am having to spell this out for you. Why can't you read instead of making assumptions?

I SAID BRILES' OFFENSE - NOT THE SPREAD - MASKED TALENT DEFICIENCIES. LET ME REPEAT: BRILES' OFFENSE, NOT THE SPREAD.

Not all spread offenses are the same. Briles ran a unique version that combined the veer and run n shoot. It was very different from other spread offenses, including the version we ran this year. Understand?
Mothra
Russell Gym said:

Quit wasting your time. It's the same name-calling, reading comprehension insults with that guy.
Good grief you guys have a blind spot for your own name calling and insults. If you can't take it, don't dish it out. Not hard to understand.
Russell Gym
Mothra said:

Russell Gym said:

Quit wasting your time. It's the same name-calling, reading comprehension insults with that guy.
Good grief you guys have a blind spot for your own name calling and insults. If you can't take it, don't dish it out. Not hard to understand.

Show me where I name called. I said name-calling a real person is pathetic, and it is definitely a pathetic action.

I stand by my statement that name-calling a known person is a pathetic action by an anonymous internet poster.

All the silly name-calling you guys do with each other is just petty Internet chat room stuff, along with your reading comprehension admonishments. Big deal.

For me, name-calling a known person by an anonymous poster is pathetic. It doesn't make the poster pathetic, only the action.

Carry on.
D. C. Bear
Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Doc Holliday said:

GoldMind said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Dabo?
Bellichick?
Tom Landry?
Les Miles

He was such a good option, it's a shame he got schooped up by another school so quick.
Well, to be fair, his overall record and resume are better than CMR's, and he won a natty, but who's counting?

And what is "schooped"? Another millennial term my geriatric butt doesn't understand?

Oh I'm sorry, gramps, he didn't and still hasn't get hired. ****ty Purdue wouldn't even hire him.
Awesome, dodged a bullet then. He sucks. I bet he wouldn't have won more than a game this past season.

As for "schooped"?

You said that a spread system would help mask our offensive deficiencies, and you're standing up for Les Miles...

Wrong on both counts. Not standing up for Miles, nor did I say a spread would mask our offensive deficiencies. We ran a spread, just in case you were unaware.

Want to try again?

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

BUBear24 said:

Mothra said:

BUBear24 said:

sicemkentucky said:

GoldMind said:

Define worst.

Unbearable content?
Merciless negativity?
Horrible opinions?

What really amazes me about that crap fest across the tracks is that they completely ignore the valuable stuff that is pinned at the top. Those posts have 1-5 posts, while they have a thread with over a 1000 posts about how much they hate our coach. I wish I could hack stuff, would shut that place down in a hurry.

This X 1000. One of them even made the comment that they have more posts on the never ending CAB/BOR fight 3 years running now over all the free pieces the guys put out to entice them..

Well, to be fair, in this "multiple" offense, Nixon has said his passing game is "pro style," while the running game incorporates more spread and Oregon-style elements.

Understand I'm more referring to the 6-7 posters who can't seem to veer from this Big-10, pound in the dirt running game that is completely untrue. It's just as annoying as the Jersey/Fhule nicknames from the arm chair QBs over there. I like conversing on both boards as you know, but most conversations over there digress to a kindergarten mentality until someone gets mad and takes their toys home from the sandbox.

What even funnier to me are those who pretend like briles way is the only way we can win games. Or that the Big10 pound it in the dirt style doesn't win games.

Gotta disagree with this. Name me all of the teams this past decade that won a natty with the Big 10 pound it in the dirt style? I can't think of one. The closest is Alabama, which converted to a pro-style spread about 6 years ago. The Ohio State's, Alabama, and Clemson's of the world are running a whole lot more spread concepts than plow the earth concepts.

Those systems aren't winning nattys anymore. Briles system was so effective because it could equalize the immense talent gap between teams like Baylor and the blue-bloods. Whether we can have that same kind of success without what was our great equalizer remains to be seen.

Les Miles couldn't win with a roster full of 4 and 5 stars but he's gonna come here and win.

LoL
Wrong again. I said Briles' system masked talent deficiencies. I also didn't advocate for Les Miles.

What the actual ****? You really gonna split hairs between "gap" and "deficiencies" ?

Clearly you're reading comprehension sucks since I quoted your own post and you didn't even bother to read it.

I can't believe I am having to spell this out for you. Why can't you read instead of making assumptions?

I SAID BRILES' OFFENSE - NOT THE SPREAD - MASKED TALENT DEFICIENCIES. LET ME REPEAT: BRILES' OFFENSE, NOT THE SPREAD.

I am not sure shouting will make him understand that fact any better. Briles was able to compete (play closer) with less depth and generally lesser recruits (and a future Heisman winner). When he started getting more depth and get a bit closer with the athletes, he was then able to beat teams with better recruits and started to win at a very high level. The whole thing blew up, not coincidentally, just as he was starting to beat those other teams head-to-head for recruits. Had either he or the University had its ducks in a row, we'd be talking about who we would be playing in the conference title game or playoff instead of whether we're going to a bowl game.

Having said that, Rhule's offense can work in large part because it isn't some old style three yards and a cloud of dust offense. It spreads the field (not as much as Briles did, but enough to be effective). Like Briles' offense at its best, it uses speed, a strong offensive line and a quarterback who can keep a defense off balance with his feet.
Russell Gym
And by the way ... to whom are you referring - "you guys?"

If pointing out your predictable name-calling & and reading comprehension admonishments is an an insult to you, then so be it.
Mothra
Russell Gym said:

Mothra said:

Russell Gym said:

Show me where I name called. I said name-calling a real person is pathetic, and it is definitely a pathetic action.

I stand by my statement that name-calling a known person is a pathetic action by an anonymous internet poster.

All the silly name-calling you guys do with each other is just petty Internet chat room stuff, along with your reading comprehension admonishments. Big deal.

For me, name-calling a known person by an anonymous poster is pathetic. It doesn't make the poster pathetic, only the action.

Carry on.

What you are missing is the name calling and insults engaged in by the poster you encouraged to stop wasting his time. On another thread I was attempting to talk football and the guy attacks me for no reason. Must have missed it.
Mothra
D. C. Bear said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

Doc Holliday said:

GoldMind said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Dabo?
Bellichick?
Tom Landry?
Les Miles

As for "schooped"?

Want to try again?

Mothra said:

GoldMind said:

BUBear24 said:

Mothra said:

BUBear24 said:

sicemkentucky said:

GoldMind said:

Define worst.

Unbearable content?
Merciless negativity?
Horrible opinions?

LoL

I am not sure shouting will make him understand that fact any better. Briles was able to compete (play closer) with less depth and generally lesser recruits (and a future Heisman winner). When he started getting more depth and get a bit closer with the athletes, he was then able to beat teams with better recruits and started to win at a very high level. The whole thing blew up, not coincidentally, just as he was starting to beat those other teams head-to-head for recruits. Had either he or the University had its ducks in a row, we'd be talking about who we would be playing in the conference title game or playoff instead of whether we're going to a bowl game.

Having said that, Rhule's offense can work in large part because it isn't some old style three yards and a cloud of dust offense. It spreads the field (not as much as Briles did, but enough to be effective). Like Briles' offense at its best, it uses speed, a strong offensive line and a quarterback who can keep a defense off balance with his feet.
Aberzombie1892
BaylorOkie said:

Firing Rhule after one year would make Baylor an unattractive job to a successful coach and everyone, including the Baylor admin, knows this.
Russell Gym
Mothra said:

Russell Gym said:

Mothra said:

Russell Gym said:

Carry on.

What you are missing is the name calling and insults engaged in by the poster you encouraged to stop wasting his time. On another thread I was attempting to talk football and the guy attacks me for no reason. Must have missed it.

Certainly I did. Thanks for pointing it out.
drahthaar
Aberzombie1892 said:

BaylorOkie said:

Firing Rhule after one year would make Baylor an unattractive job to a successful coach and everyone, including the Baylor admin, knows this.

True dat!
On the other hand, if I were an in-demand successful coach today, BU wouldn't be attractive anyway.
BaylorOkie
Aberzombie1892 said:

BaylorOkie said:

Much like how one of the worst scandals in college football history made it unattractive.

Edit: sorry, I fat fingered my phone screen, didn't mean to add the emoticon.
PartyBear
Baylor Okie is absolutely right. Money talks and we throw blue blood levels of money in now. The issue is having competent people to select the good candidate the money is talking to. On that front the new athletic administration doesn't look too promising at this point.
Gust Avrakotos
D. C. Bear said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

I'd like for one of the premium board geniuses to explain to me how in the world our team lost to freaking Liberty.

I'd also like that answer to include something other than the ridiculously stupid and canned "They scored more points than we did".

Queue Frisco bear in 3.....2......1
What does the little green "p" mean next to your username?

DC I guess Baylor dropped the ball on getting you the talking points on this one. I was s premium member for a short while, some time ago. When u cancel the premium membership, the little green pea, as you call it, remains.

Hope this helps.

Gust
80sBEAR
Gust Avrakotos said:

D. C. Bear said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

I'd like for one of the premium board geniuses to explain to me how in the world our team lost to freaking Liberty.

I'd also like that answer to include something other than the ridiculously stupid and canned "They scored more points than we did".

Queue Frisco bear in 3.....2......1
What does the little green "p" mean next to your username?

DC I guess Baylor dropped the ball on getting you the talking points on this one. I was s premium member for a short while, some time ago. When u cancel the premium membership, the little green pea, as you call it, remains.

Hope this helps.

Gust

I did not realize you you had joined The Mean Girls Board. Glad you are back to reality with us dumpster divers. So how did you fare in their "Worst Poster" poll? Did you end up beating me? Did we win a prize?
"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.