RANDOM ARENA UPDATES

119,954 Views | 640 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Yogi
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's not far from the Dutton Ave Parking Garage & all the parking in downtown Waco. Also, there is no reason all of McLane's parking won't be available for most games. Not everyone can park on site, but that was never going to be a possibility for any place they built it. The real issue is that parking will likely add to the cost for many people. Since season ticket prices are priced for the rich, probably the thinking is that they can afford it.

The only time there may be a real parking shortage will be when basketball & football games take place at the same time. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
whitetrash
Latest update email from this morning:

Renew your season tickets now and get charged $400 each (lowest price ticket @ Tiny), but ticket selection won't be until some time in the fall.

Quote:

Quote:

PHASE ONE OR TWO PARTICIPANTS - MEN'S BASKETBALL RENEWALS
We are counting down the days until basketball is back in action on the Brazos! The renewal application for the 2023-24 men's basketball season is now available online. As a season ticket holder, you have until Friday, July 21 to renew by visiting your online account or by calling the Baylor Athletic Ticket Office at 254-710-1000.

As a reminder, a ticket limit was implemented for the upcoming season in order to accommodate the maximum number of fans in Foster Pavilion. Championship Club members will be able to renew a maximum of eight tickets. All other accounts will be able to renew a maximum of six tickets. Those limits are now reflected in your account. The amount of tickets currently in your account will be your quantity for both the Ferrell Center and Foster Pavilion. For games played at the Ferrell Center next season, you will keep the same seats as the previous season. During the seat selection process this fall, you will only be selecting seats for Foster Pavilion.

This renewal process will differ from past years. With the upcoming move to Foster Pavilion, all men's basketball season ticket holders will renew each ticket at $400, the lowest priced ticket in the Foster Pavilion. You may pay that total in full or pay in installments beginning with the date of renewal, August 1 and September 1. During seat selection, if you choose to select seats that cost more than $400, you will be responsible for paying the difference during the check out process.

For example, if you renew two season tickets, you will pay $800 during the renewal period. Then during seat selection this fall, you decide to purchase two Lower Baseline seats that are priced at $750 each. At checkout of seat selection, you would owe the difference which would be $700 ($750 x 2= $1,500 - $800 [paid during renewals]= $700).

If you would like to purchase additional tickets in the Ferrell Center, mini plans will be available to purchase later this summer. You will not be selecting your seats in Foster Pavilion during renewals. The seat selection process is scheduled to take place this fall.

If you have questions regarding the Foster Pavilion, please email us at Bear_Foundation@baylor.edu or call us at 254-710-2582.

Yogi
Adriacus Peratuun said:

historian said:

I understand the debates over location although I don't understand Mulkey throwing a fit over it, if those rumors are true. Personally, I thought the original plans made sense except the parking issue.

Because she was running her standard scam. Press faux complaints on issue A to get concessions in area B.

Every time she was told No on anything over the years, this scam was her exact Go To move.

She played that same game one time too many [in conjunction with having burned every bridge with the AD, President, BOR].
And we burned down our women's basketball program as a result.

For whatever that's worth,

(Note: the future introduction of trans-women to women's college basketball would have probably doomed us anyway. I know Baylor is much more progressive than it was when I attended, but I don't know that the university or community would be ready for that.)
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Yogi
There are only 7,000 seats.

Parking will not be a problem.
Yogi
Updated Parking Garage Renderings:

Yogi
Updated Riverwalk Rendering:

Yogi
Yogi said:

Updated Parking Garage Renderings:

Keep in mind that they have not made a final decision as to the outside decor. It will include metal-etched panels, nut they are still finalizing what will be on those panels.

On a related note, what did they ever do with the Floyd Casey banners?
whitetrash
Yogi said:

Ferrell Center: +/- 2000 parking spaces for 10,500 capacity = 1 parking space per 5.25 seats

Tiny: +/- 500 parking spaces (including Robinson Tower lot) for 7,500 capacity = 1 parking space per 15 seats
Method Man
whitetrash said:

Yogi said:

Ferrell Center: +/- 2000 parking spaces for 10,500 capacity = 1 parking space per 5.25 seats

Tiny: +/- 500 parking spaces (including Robinson Tower lot) for 7,500 capacity = 1 parking space per 15 seats
I might be wrong....but It sounds like you are not excited about the new arena.
What's the deal with calling it "tiny"??????
Yogi
whitetrash said:

Yogi said:

What is McLane Stadium by chance?
Booboo Bear
Method Man said:

whitetrash said:

Yogi said:

I might be wrong....but It sounds like you are not excited about the new arena.
What's the deal with calling it "tiny"??????
Term of endearment.

wongobear
9-foot-long monster catfish caught in Italy (fox4news.com)

We can do better, right?
whitetrash
Yogi said:

whitetrash said:

Yogi said:

What is McLane Stadium by chance?
Here is a very unscientific analysis of proximity of potentially available parking to the front entrance of Foster, using Google maps walking directions. Each is measured from the closest point in the parking lot to the plaza in front of Foster:

New parking lot behind the Hurd Howdy Hut: 0.3 mi/6 min

Pignetti's parking lot (3rd/Webster, probably not available): 0.3 mi/6 min

First Baptist/Live Oak parking lots (5th/Clay, used for Silos parking): 0.4 mi/8 min

Dutton garage (not sure if available for games): 0.4 mi/9 min

Texas Sports Hall of Fame parking lot: 0.4 mi/9 min

Convention center/Hilton parking lot across from Ninfa's (2nd/Franklin): 0.4 mi/9 min

McLane Lot A (Baylor Club side, between stadium and I-35, via I-35 access road across river): 0.7 mi/14 min

McLane Lots B/C (lagoon side, via walking bridge and riverwalk): 1.0 mi/20 min

By comparison, the walking distance from the furthest back corner of the Farrell Center lot (by the RF corner of the Ballpark) to the main entrance: 0.25 mi/5 min. Everything else at Ferrell is closer than that.

One issue that hasn't been discussed is paying for parking. With football, for a lot of donors, it's rolled into your BBF donation, with the only private parking being Brazos Parking and a couple of grass lots off MLK on the other side of I-35. Of course, basketball at BU has never required paying for parking: mid/high level donors had their reserved lot closer to Ferrell, a fair amount of parking available for early arrivals on site, plus the 2nd street garage for those who wanted a shuttle ride, all free.

Going forward, 75% of those who could park onsite at Ferrell will be pushed out farther than the furthest reaches of the Ferrell lots, and everyone else beyond that. Most parking lots within a 5 block radius belong to private businesses (Residence Inn, Indigo, Twisted Root, Pignettis, Ninfa's/Cricket's lot) that will probably be off limits and patrolled to keep gameday parkers away. First Baptist charges for parking (or at least used to, before Magnolia bought and developed additional free parking along the RR tracks) and probably would do so for basketball if feasible. Parking in Convention Center lots will probably be free and encouraged, again with shuttles. The campus garages and lots used for football can easily be cleared out for 6-8 Saturdays in the fall and used for gameday parking, but not so much for a dozen or more weeknights in the winter.

Anyway, it's not that these are insurmountable logistical issues, but they will certainly "move the cheese" for a lot of fans. It's alleviated somewhat by the fact that 25% of the crowd is removed from the equation off the top by the diminished capacity. And those students who used to drive to Ferrell because they could park there will be forced into finding an alternative. But still, that fan/donor who falls below the top 1500-2000 tickets going to the biggest donors but gives enough to get inside Foster is going to be impacted the most.

LIB,MR BEARS
wongobear said:

9-foot-long monster catfish caught in Italy (fox4news.com)

We can do better, right?
I thought it was Italy, TX and a fatty from Lake Bardwell.
CorsicanaBear
Prices finally out-ran my interest in watching live basketball. Parking is one of the reasons my interest has waned. I'll enjoy on TV. But the rest of you buying tickets better make us look good by filling up the arena, standing up the entire game and wearing the assigned color coded outfits damn it.
BBWCBear
CorsicanaBear said:

Prices finally out-ran my interest in watching live basketball. Parking is one of the reasons my interest has waned. I'll enjoy on TV. But the rest of you buying tickets better make us look good by filling up the arena, standing up the entire game and wearing the assigned color coded outfits damn it.
What's the favorite BU statement for Crowd/Attendance??? Oh yeah, "announced sellout"... There it Is!!
BU fans find a way to underperform.
historian
If I could have afford it, I would have had season tickets this past season. If I could afford it now, I would have them for the next season. I'm probably an outlier but people have a variety of reasons for not going to games. The dramatic increase in prices, although not unexpected, certainly is a factor for quite a few of us.
Yogi
This is a couple of months old, but a neat shot of the inside the arena.

Yogi
An update from the City of Waco on May31.

fredbear
Thanks for sharing pics! Hope it is beautiful inside, because outside leaves me wanting much more!
historian
Outside is OK. We cannot really judge until we see the final product. No doubt they have some plans for the external decorations, etc. Hopefully, it will be a nice compliment to McLans Stadium.
CorsicanaBear

gobears20
Staff

They should put the face of Scott Drew on the roof

LIB,MR BEARS
gobears20 said:

Pigeons hate Scott Drew
EatMoreSalmon
gobears20 said:

I was thinking more in the line of a weathervane with a rooster on it…

T-REX
historian said:

It's not far from the Dutton Ave Parking Garage & all the parking in downtown Waco. Also, there is no reason all of McLane's parking won't be available for most games. Not everyone can park on site, but that was never going to be a possibility for any place they built it. The real issue is that parking will likely add to the cost for many people. Since season ticket prices are priced for the rich, probably the thinking is that they can afford it.

The only time there may be a real parking shortage will be when basketball & football games take place at the same time. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.
We never have home football and basketball at the same time. Literally can not think of a single time that has ever happened.
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
T-REX
CorsicanaBear said:

telling people they better show up and be loud while choosing to do the opposite is a weird stance
Baylor MBA 2023
T-REX
Shuttles will.be going. Baylor made that clear from day 1. Likely from the Ferrel as that's super easy or maybe mclane lots

It's very clear that many of you rarely if ever attend games at other arenas. We were super spoiled with the parking lots at Ferrel. Go to a game at KU, UT, OSU, TCU, ect and you're walking. ISU, OU, & KSU have parking lots close by but most schools don't unless their arena is next to football.

If you don't have a parking pass in the garage next to the arena, then go park where ever baylor ends up.doing shuttles and be glad we are doing those cause most schools don't for basketball. And be glad you have never had to pay to park at the FC. Most charge to park even half a mile or a mile away lol. It was nice being able to park close and for free but we also had by far the worst arena in the Big 12 so I will take the amazing new arena all.fay long if that means I can't park 300 yards away. **** ill.walk 2 miles if that's what it takes. Walking is good for you anyway and if you seriously can't walk far, we'll the shuttle will work perfectly for you
Baylor MBA 2023
CorsicanaBear

Quote:

telling people they better show up and be loud while choosing to do the opposite is a weird stance
Should have used the sarcasm tag I guess. <s></s>
LIB,MR BEARS
Sarcasm is hard

I guess
historian
T-REX said:

historian said:

We never have home football and basketball at the same time. Literally can not think of a single time that has ever happened.

I have a vague memory of it happening in recent years. I don't recall any of the particulars but I'm pretty sure it did happen. Point taken, though, it's so rare as to be a nonissue.
T-REX
historian said:

T-REX said:

historian said:

I have a vague memory of it happening in recent years. I don't recall any of the particulars but I'm pretty sure it did happen. Point taken, though, it's so rare as to be a nonissue.
you might be thinking of us having a home mbb game the same day as the 2019 and 2021 big 12 football championships.

We have had some Friday games in Nov with football home game the next day. 2021 OU was the last time that happened, hung the big 12 title and natty banner the night b4.
Baylor MBA 2023
historian
T-REX said:

historian said:

T-REX said:

historian said:

you might be thinking of us having a home mbb game the same day as the 2019 and 2021 big 12 football championships.

We have had some Friday games in Nov with football home game the next day. 2021 OU was the last time that happened, hung the big 12 title and natty banner the night b4.

I remember December 7, 2029 quite well: our football team performed quite well big not quite good enough. Zeno came in for 2 big plays, exciting everyone, & Platt had a huge run but was tackled from behind by an OU defender who was, amazingly, even faster. Every time I watched that clip it reminds my of guise nature videos of a big cat hunting a gazelle except Chris survived the tackle, obviously. I had to wait until later to watch the MBB game.

But that's not the two gAmes I was thinking of. It's frustrating, but I don't recall any of the particulars & yet I think it was different. I seem to remember a game at McLane Stadium during the regular season that overlapped partly with a MBB game. Maybe it was WBB but I don't think so. It was probably several years ago. It may have been earlier: 2014-2017, for example.
whitetrash
historian said:

T-REX said:

historian said:

T-REX said:

historian said:

I remember December 7, 2029 quite well: our football team performed quite well big not quite good enough. Zeno came in for 2 big plays, exciting everyone, & Platt had a huge run but was tackled from behind by an OU defender who was, amazingly, even faster. Every time I watched that clip it reminds my of guise nature videos of a big cat hunting a gazelle except Chris survived the tackle, obviously. I had to wait until later to watch the MBB game.

But that's not the two gAmes I was thinking of. It's frustrating, but I don't recall any of the particulars & yet I think it was different. I seem to remember a game at McLane Stadium during the regular season that overlapped partly with a MBB game. Maybe it was WBB but I don't think so. It was probably several years ago. It may have been earlier: 2014-2017, for example.
You may be thinking of 12/1/12, when MBB beat Kentucky in Lexington at the same time FB was beating OkSt in Waco (the Seastrunk pulled muscle TD game). Basketball game tipped off early and was over shortly after kickoff IIRC.
historian
Maybe. It seems to me that I attended the football game but I was unable to see any at the Ferrell Center in 2012. I'm just not sure about any details & my memory can be off.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.