RANDOM ARENA UPDATES

120,019 Views | 640 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Yogi
Adriacus Peratuun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
DanaDane said:

I'll be the naysayer. I don't think it's gonna be ready by Jan 2nd.
Have to agree. Drywall missing. Flooring not started. Playing surface incomplete. Seating incomplete. Scoreboards incomplete. Painting/prep not started. Equipment not arrived.

And the things unseen……if the flooring hasn't started, neither is tiling in bathrooms which will be done by same sub. If painting hasn't started, fixtures installed over painting not started.

Think you are being very realistic.
whitetrash
Adriacus Peratuun said:

DanaDane said:

Have to agree. Drywall missing. Flooring not started. Playing surface incomplete. Seating incomplete. Scoreboards incomplete. Painting/prep not started. Equipment not arrived.

And the things unseen……if the flooring hasn't started, neither is tiling in bathrooms which will be done by same sub. If painting hasn't started, fixtures installed over painting not started.

Think you are being very realistic.
I'll go on a limb and say....maybe yes, maybe no.

Today is 45 days out. Back in 2000, I had the opportunity to take a construction tour of Enron Field/Minute Maid Park about 45-50 days prior to opening. Our law firm had done some work for the Astros, mainly in getting legislative approval for funding for the ballpark, and we had some connections with Drayton's construction manager on site. The backdrop of J Mo's interview looked very similar to what I saw in Houston that evening. The things I distinctly remember from that night were:

Seats were mostly in the arena. Most were installed and bolted down, but a lot were still stacked on the concourse. Most if not all of them were still covered in clear plastic. Looks like the seating at Foster is a little ahead of that schedule.

Astros clubhouse was very much a work in progress, but they had the plumbing fixtures in (I distiinctly recall that the restroom in the clubhouse had both a child's height urinal and an ADA-compliant stall. I guess the urinal finally came in handy when they signed Altuve. No idea how far along Foster is.

Infield was installed, but they were laying giant rolls of turf in the outfield (each roll stretched from the left field wall to foul territory past 1st base). I would think getting turf to take root might be a little simpler than getting a wood floor to cure, so we may be a little behind.

I seem to recall the escalators were already installed at MMP. Might be a pinch if Foster doesn't have theirs yet.

Concessions and restrooms were fully installed in time at MMP, but I remember that the lines were horrendous for both at the first game. Will no doubt take a learning curve, even if all are fully operational by opening.

One thing the Astros had going for them is that their grand opening was for 2 final spring training exhibition games against the Yankees, then they opened the season on the road and didn't come home until 7-10 days later. Which gave them enough time to get more stuff finished. BU hits the ground running with 3 games scheduled in the first 5 days.

A bigger potential problem will be whether the city gets the garage built and the streets finished. There was mention in an article in the WTH last week that the elevators for the garage were still on back order. And if no elevators were available, then they could only use the first 4 levels of the garage instead of all 6. And naturally, any streets that are still closed or restricted will be an ongoing #$&*show.
MrGolfguy
tiny arena is tiny
Yogi
DanaDane said:

Yeah, it's the first time I picked up some doubt from the project manager aa well.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Yogi
And it does look small, but honestly, Baylor may be playing at a lower level of college athletics in 30 years.
DanaDane
I'm okay with them pushing it back. I'd rather the first game be a conference game and with the students back in session.
randomhandle
Pics from today
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cz4luU7PuRY/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
Yogi
I like this fan.

Big12Bear
December update.

Yogi
Thanks for finding and posting this!

Check out the video boards for the practice facilities!

IowaBear
I'm really struggling to see how the new arena is going to be even remotely ready for the Cornell game
whitetrash
IowaBear said:

I'm really struggling to see how the new arena is going to be even remotely ready for the Cornell game
16 business days, 9 weekend days and 2 holidays left.
Yogi
IowaBear said:

Yeah. I am going to have to agree with you there.

From the webcam, https://app.truelook.cloud/dashboard/6795/7697/live?code=40zskm96mrtigtubmd0eirki4it appears that they are finally working on the plaza itself. They might be able to hold a game in the facility, but with patrons?

Forget the Pavilion, I don't see how that parking garage is safe and usable in less than a month.

Good thing we have other facilities.

Just for fun, let's move Cornell to the HOT Coliseum (Now the Extraco Center) for old times' sake.
BearBuck
What are you trying to compensate for?
MrGolfguy
Low clubhead speed i guess
historian
Just took a quick look at the construction site and there are workers there now outside. I don't know if anyone is working inside but it's possible. It still seems like a huge stretch to think it will be complete in only 3 weeks.
whitetrash
historian said:

Just took a quick look at the construction site and there are workers there now outside. I don't know if anyone is working inside but it's possible. It still seems like a huge stretch to think it will be complete in only 3 weeks.

It's not just the arena. University-Parks is still completely torn up. Even if the arena is close to being finished no one will be able to get within several blocks to park.
historian
They never should have announced a January 2024 opening, considering how late they were getting started.

I guess they had to justify charging so much more for season tickets.
Yogi
Apparently, we have a lot of PRIDE in our new arena.

historian
Calrocks94
Saw that I can't tell if it's on the outsiders that the video board being tested if it's on the outside could be cool if they use green and gold or different colors for different events
Yogi
Calrocks94 said:

Saw that I can't tell if it's on the outsiders that the video board being tested if it's on the outside could be cool if they use green and gold or different colors for different events

The scoreboard may be on, but that is definitely outdoor lighting.
historian
Looks like it's only red green and blue.
BearlyBeloved
Testing school colors of Big XII teams?
historian
Or combining Baylor's colors with patriotic ones.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Yogi
historian said:

Looks like it's only red green and blue.

Yep. The primary colors of light.
Bexar Pitts
Could be a school of Woke Gar actin out....
historian
That was my thought as well although I can detect some lights the looked golden but that could be the sunlight reflecting off of something.
Jack Bauer
They may hand fans on Jan 2nd a construction hat and gloves and tell them to help out!
historian
https://sicem365.com/s/16513/important-information-to-prepare-baylor-fans-for-foster-pavilion
Yogi
historian said:

That was my thought as well although I can detect some lights the looked golden but that could be the sunlight reflecting off of something.
Looks to me like they also have exterior lights, which are in soft glow here, that are attached to the fascia of the "shutters" and the back of the scoreboard. Imagine the light shows we are going to see in this new place.

whitetrash
historian said:

https://sicem365.com/s/16513/important-information-to-prepare-baylor-fans-for-foster-pavilion

Mack's letter:

william
(255,255,255)

- KKM

Looks like the Arby's kitchen has arrived.....

Should be hooked up and a test run middle of next week!

Go Bears!
Hotsauce
I read this as "This new facility is nowhere near ready, but we are moving forward anyways. Prepare for complete chaos!"
historian
Yogi said:

historian said:

Looks to me like they also have exterior lights, which are in soft glow here, that are attached to the fascia of the "shutters" and the back of the scoreboard. Imagine the light shows we are going to see in this new place.

This looks more like rainbow colors. I hope it's a reference to Genesis 9.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.