RANDOM ARENA UPDATES

119,961 Views | 640 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Yogi
Bexar Pitts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CTbruin said:

atomicblast said:

What will happen to the Ferrell Center?

It will remain a special events venue. For which it is well suited.
Wonder if they'd now allow Willie to do a benefit concert there? :-)
LIB,MR BEARS
SSadler said:

CTbruin said:

atomicblast said:

I'm pessimistic that the Ferrell Center will remain a venue for a few minor sports + special events related to BU student population. Non-stop heating and cooling for A / T and Volleyball just won't have a positive bottom line $$$.

At some point BU will have to repurpose it further for more human traffic routinely in it to justify the light bill.

Now if you take the similar looking dome in Belton, TX just down the Interstate as a model, BU can become the tractor pull and grandma knitting sales center of Texas.

Anybody up for roller derby?

oooh! An old timer's game with the Bay City Bombers?
Bexar Pitts
LIB,MR BEARS said:

SSadler said:

CTbruin said:

atomicblast said:

I'm pessimistic that the Ferrell Center will remain a venue for a few minor sports + special events related to BU student population. Non-stop heating and cooling for A / T and Volleyball just won't have a positive bottom line $$$.

At some point BU will have to repurpose it further for more human traffic routinely in it to justify the light bill.

Now if you take the similar looking dome in Belton, TX just down the Interstate as a model, BU can become the tractor pull and grandma knitting sales center of Texas.

Just wouldn't be the same without the "Blonde Bomber" , Joanie Weston...
LIB,MR BEARS
Bexar Pitts said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

SSadler said:

CTbruin said:

atomicblast said:

oh my gosh, WE'RE OLD!!!
Bexar Pitts
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Bexar Pitts said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

SSadler said:

CTbruin said:

atomicblast said:

oh my gosh, WE'RE OLD!!!
Hopefully, not as old as we're gonna be!
Calrocks94
As I'm watching the live link, it looks like we're only a week or two away from all the seating being done it looks like maybe six weeks away from the roof been done it doesn't look like they started the main entrance part of the building in the front.
Jack Bauer
Dumb question - where are the students going to sit? I assume behind the benches and not behind the goal?
whitetrash
Jack Bauer said:

Dumb question - where are the students going to sit? I assume behind the benches and not behind the goal?

The first 8-10 rows behind the benches (the I-35 side) and more down low behind the basket toward the River. It's the same setup SMU has. Watching Auburn last night get pounded by Aggy like they were a freshly-shorn ewe, it looked like Auburn's newish arena was similar too. I think one of the renderings show the student seats as gold and the rest of the seats as green, just like McLane.
T-REX
whitetrash said:

Jack Bauer said:

The first 8-10 rows behind the benches (the I-35 side) and more down low behind the basket toward the River. It's the same setup SMU has. Watching Auburn last night get pounded by Aggy like they were a freshly-shorn ewe, it looked like Auburn's newish arena was similar too. I think one of the renderings show the student seats as gold and the rest of the seats as green, just like McLane.
here the seating chart
DFW Baylor Social Media Promoter
Baylor MBA 2023
THE BAYLOR APOLOGY TOUR IS OVER!!!
Twitter: T_REX1991
Instagram: t_rex_bu
whitetrash
T-REX said:

whitetrash said:

Jack Bauer said:

here the seating chart

Based on that schematic and the renderings on the BU website, we can do more of an apples to apples comparison to FC.

Ferrell seating consists of:

1 row of championship row seats on one side of court, plus another 10-12 seats near the BU bench

7 rows of courtside seats on fold-out risers on both sides of the court. One corner section behind visitors bench for visitors fans, one corner section behind BU bench for recruits, player families, former players, etc.

15 rows courtside up to the concourse that require BBF donation

9 rows in the corners and baseline up to the concourse

18-19 rows above the concourse (I can't recall but I think the top row is 35).

8 rows of ADA seats, 2 on each courtside and 2 on each end

Foster appears to be:

2 rows of championship row seats on one side plus 1-2 rows on each endline (net increase)

14 rows of club seats on side opposite benches

2 rows of loge seats on side opposite benches

11 rows of courtside seats behind benches and students

11 rows of upper deck courtside seats

11 rows of endline seats below concourse/main entrance (non student end)

15 rows in corners above concourse/entrance

6 rows on both endlines above concourse/students

Presumably SRO on both endlines above seats and below scoreboards

ADA seats the length of the courtside behind students, plus a section or two on each end (net increase)

Student seats:

FP: looks like 4 rows courtside behind the benches, plus 11 rows in 4 sections behind the baseline. Presumably the band will be in there somewhere too.

FC: a couple dozen seats courtside at one end, plus 2.5-3 sections at other end; band included

So here's what looks like is going to happen:

Those who currently have courtside seats on the foldout risers and those in the first 5-7 rows of permanent courtside seats (on both sides) will likely fill up the championship row, club and loge seats. Some who are low may move up to loge. Quite a few who currently are center court in 101 and 113 will be pushed out toward the baselines.

The rest of the season ticket holders (from about row 5 thru 15 courtside on both sides of FC) will fill up the courtside seats behind the benches. Once those are full, some will be pushed to the lower baseline seats opposite the students. If they have had near center court seats and don't want to be pushed to one end, they may take upper deck center court.

A lot of the rest of the season ticket holders (midlevel courtside and lower level corners/endline at FC) will be pushed to the upper reaches of the courtside upper deck or the corners.

Anybody who has sat in the top 5-10 rows anywhere in Ferrell likely will be shut out of FP.

Students will have better seats, but there will be fewer of them too.

I'll analyze the vertical comparison of distance of seats from the court in a separate post.
T-REX
whitetrash said:

T-REX said:

whitetrash said:

Jack Bauer said:

here the seating chart

Based on that schematic and the renderings on the BU website, we can do more of an apples to apples comparison to FC.

Ferrell seating consists of:

1 row of championship row seats on one side of court, plus another 10-12 seats near the BU bench

7 rows of courtside seats on fold-out risers on both sides of the court. One corner section behind visitors bench for visitors fans, one corner section behind BU bench for recruits, player families, former players, etc.

15 rows courtside up to the concourse that require BBF donation

9 rows in the corners and baseline up to the concourse

18-19 rows above the concourse (I can't recall but I think the top row is 35).

8 rows of ADA seats, 2 on each courtside and 2 on each end

Foster appears to be:

2 rows of championship row seats on one side plus 1-2 rows on each endline (net increase)

14 rows of club seats on side opposite benches

2 rows of loge seats on side opposite benches

11 rows of courtside seats behind benches and students

11 rows of upper deck courtside seats

11 rows of endline seats below concourse/main entrance (non student end)

15 rows in corners above concourse/entrance

6 rows on both endlines above concourse/students

Presumably SRO on both endlines above seats and below scoreboards

ADA seats the length of the courtside behind students, plus a section or two on each end (net increase)

Student seats:

FP: looks like 4 rows courtside behind the benches, plus 11 rows in 4 sections behind the baseline. Presumably the band will be in there somewhere too.

FC: a couple dozen seats courtside at one end, plus 2.5-3 sections at other end; band included

So here's what looks like is going to happen:

Those who currently have courtside seats on the foldout risers and those in the first 5-7 rows of permanent courtside seats (on both sides) will likely fill up the championship row, club and loge seats. Some who are low may move up to loge. Quite a few who currently are center court in 101 and 113 will be pushed out toward the baselines.

The rest of the season ticket holders (from about row 5 thru 15 courtside on both sides of FC) will fill up the courtside seats behind the benches. Once those are full, some will be pushed to the lower baseline seats opposite the students. If they have had near center court seats and don't want to be pushed to one end, they may take upper deck center court.

A lot of the rest of the season ticket holders (midlevel courtside and lower level corners/endline at FC) will be pushed to the upper reaches of the courtside upper deck or the corners.

Anybody who has sat in the top 5-10 rows anywhere in Ferrell likely will be shut out of FP.

Students will have better seats, but there will be fewer of them too.

I'll analyze the vertical comparison of distance of seats from the court in a separate post.
my FC seats are row 10 of normal seating behind opposing bench right now. But I likely will be I'm the 2nd level unless the lower baseline opposite students is still available come my seat selection window. Lot of it will depend on what people are goving now and if they increase it as well as seat preferences. I give less than some with worse seats than mine for example and give more than some with better seats than mine simply due to people having the seats b4ijoinedthe bbf. Regardless, if you want seats in Foster, your better have gotten your season tickets this year by the deadline
Baylor MBA 2023
whitetrash

ANALYSIS OF THE VERTICAL LAYOUT OF FP vs FC

The specific distances at Foster are set forth above; Ferrell is approximate using the eye test.

Ferrell Center:

The ramps from the concourse enter the arena at row 16. In the above graphic, that's about even with the top row of the lower level at Foster, just in front of the lower loge boxes. Approximately 18 feet above the court and approximately 71 feet back from the edge of the court.

Top row of FC is approximately 48.5 feet above the court, but 134 feet back from the edge.

Foster:

Lower level concourse is 24 feet above the floor (roughly equal to row 22 at FC) but the last row of the lower level is only 63 feet back from the edge of the court (roughly equal to row 13 at FC)

Bottom row of the upper deck is 40 feet above the court (roughly equal to row 30 of FC, or about halfway up above the top of the doors to the concourse) but set back only 60 feet (again roughly equal to row 12 or 13 at FC).

Top row of the upper deck will be 60 feet above the court (probably roughly equal to where the section numbers are on the wall at the top of FC) but only set back 88.5 feet (roughly equal to row 20 at FC, or about where the top of the doors to the concourse is).

Observations:

I'm guessing that watching a game from the top row at Foster would be the equivalent of watching a game at FC from where the banners hang above the court. That close, but that high. Any rows down from there would be at an angle from the banners down to courtside.

Be prepared to be looking down the whole time, as opposed to looking out at the court. You'll be a lot closer, but it will be like watching a parade from a 2nd or 3rd story balcony. One upside to that is if you are looking down at your phone, the court will still be in your line of sight.

One final observation as to why Foster appears so much smaller than FC (other than, of course, the fact that it actually is): it appears that Foster along courtside is approximately 25 feet narrower on each side of the building than FC. Given the seats at the end, it may be almost as long (especially when you factor in the "lobby" at Foster), but that's a much smaller overall footprint.
T-REX
whitetrash said:

ANALYSIS OF THE VERTICAL LAYOUT OF FP vs FC

The specific distances at Foster are set forth above; Ferrell is approximate using the eye test.

Ferrell Center:

The ramps from the concourse enter the arena at row 16. In the above graphic, that's about even with the top row of the lower level at Foster, just in front of the lower loge boxes. Approximately 18 feet above the court and approximately 71 feet back from the edge of the court.

Top row of FC is approximately 48.5 feet above the court, but 134 feet back from the edge.

Foster:

Lower level concourse is 24 feet above the floor (roughly equal to row 22 at FC) but the last row of the lower level is only 63 feet back from the edge of the court (roughly equal to row 13 at FC)

Bottom row of the upper deck is 40 feet above the court (roughly equal to row 30 of FC, or about halfway up above the top of the doors to the concourse) but set back only 60 feet (again roughly equal to row 12 or 13 at FC).

Top row of the upper deck will be 60 feet above the court (probably roughly equal to where the section numbers are on the wall at the top of FC) but only set back 88.5 feet (roughly equal to row 20 at FC, or about where the top of the doors to the concourse is).

Observations:

I'm guessing that watching a game from the top row at Foster would be the equivalent of watching a game at FC from where the banners hang above the court. That close, but that high. Any rows down from there would be at an angle from the banners down to courtside.

Be prepared to be looking down the whole time, as opposed to looking out at the court. You'll be a lot closer, but it will be like watching a parade from a 2nd or 3rd story balcony. One upside to that is if you are looking down at your phone, the court will still be in your line of sight.

One final observation as to why Foster appears so much smaller than FC (other than, of course, the fact that it actually is): it appears that Foster along courtside is approximately 25 feet narrower on each side of the building than FC. Given the seats at the end, it may be almost as long (especially when you factor in the "lobby" at Foster), but that's a much smaller overall footprint.

That's the entire point
Baylor MBA 2023
Calrocks94
I wonder if they're still on schedule for this week I've noticed they haven't worked all week long with the weather
historian
No doubt the timeline includes allowances for weather & other delays.
Calrocks94
Just random thoughts, but with everything being built in Waco, baylor really need to wake up and allow alcohol sales maybe not for game day, but for special events, we could easily become a stop from Dallas to Austin for major concerts for WWE a whole Lotta stuff if we allowed alcohol sales. I could also see down the road waco up getting a semi pro team of some sort. McLean would be amazing for concert. We could easily sell it out for country shows, and stuff aldo foster pavilion could be use for smaller bands also for WWE other type of arena shows. But for that to happen, we need to allow alcohol sales.
whitetrash
If you just got the email from the BBF about Foster progress and the ticket selection process, they published the numbers of current ticket holders at each level for ticket selection priority.

So we start with +/- 7,000 seats:

Phase 1 ($50K and up capital campaign contributors): 1,062 seats

There's your Championship Club courtside, your loge seats, and a good chunk of your club seats.

Phase 2 (everyone else in BBF at Brown Bear ($400) and up, but not in capital campaign): 3,684 seats

Assuming that lower level courtside seats will comprise maybe 40% of total seating at most, that means only the top 1,800-2,000 or so donors will get these. Email states that there are roughly 1,900 season tickets at Bear Backer level ($3K annual) and above, and 1,750 season tickets below that level. Some at Bear Backer may opt for midcourt at the bottom of the upper level rather than in the corners of lower level; some may opt for down low on the endline opposite the students as well. But suffice that Bear Backer will probably fill the rest of lower courtside, lower rows of the upper courtside, and a part of the endline below the concourse. Anybody below that BBF level will be relegated to top of the upper deck and higher on the ends.

Assuming 1,000 student tickets (I have no idea if that is too many or too few), and 50 or so for the opponent, that would leave +/- 1,200 seats for everyone else.
Calrocks94
I'm looking at the live camera today. Looks like they may be are starting to work on the parking garage. It looks like there's clearing off some of the ground to do it potential in the corner.
Yogi
I drove by the site today. Outer walls now well under construction. Lots of purple inulation.

Pics to come.
CorsicanaBear
I will likely not be buying season tix. Lower Level more than I want to pay (stupid money to go to a basketball game or just about anything else) and the incline on the upper level is too much. It's like the top level at Jerry world (been there done that won't be back, wouldn't take them for free). Uncomfortable. I'll watch from home.
Calrocks94
Looks like a busy day of construction they're pouring concrete on the second level
Mothballs
Bexar Pitts said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

SSadler said:

CTbruin said:

atomicblast said:

The night that I fell in love with a roller derby queen. The meanest hunk of woman that anybody's ever seen.
Yogi

Yogi
Calrocks94
LIB,MR BEARS
Yogi
Yogi

Yogi

Yogi

Yogi

Calrocks94
Well, the roof is coming along nicely looks like in about a week and a half it's gonna be done.

Until the side of the arena looks like a clearing out land, which is probably going to be the parking garage. It's supposed to have stores of some sort on the first level.
MrGolfguy
Tiny arena with a tiny roof
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
IowaBear
Yeah because Baylor needs a new big arena so we can have 5k empty seats most games… great idea golf guy
MrGolfguy
didn't say that (reading comprehension much?)

It's a tiny arena that has a tiny roof

duh
Well I ain't no greenhorn!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.