RANDOM ARENA UPDATES

120,015 Views | 640 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Yogi
Yogi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MrGolfguy said:

looks tiny

https://giphy.com/gifs/funny-thats-what-she-said-IJLVLpZQuS4z6
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Yogi
Yogi said:

MrGolfguy said:

looks tiny

https://giphy.com/gifs/funny-thats-what-she-said-IJLVLpZQuS4z6

Yogi
Update

Parts of the Yellow Crane #2 are on the ground and it appears that a tower crane is going up for work on the parking garage.
EatMoreSalmon
Yogi
Tower Crane is now up.

Yogi
Another view because you don't always catch a tower crane in downtown Waco,,,

This one courtesy of KWTX;s Skycam from the WISD Administration Building.
Calrocks94
I wish waco would build some type type of wall in front of the power station and use it as an art exhibit let local artist paint on it to have something to look at
Yogi
O4/30/2023

Yogi

MrGolfguy
Yogi said:

O4/30/2023

You can barely see it over the trees. Tiny arena is tiny.

Well I ain't no greenhorn!!
Booboo Bear
I love Tiny, but every time I look at it, I get carport vibes.

historian
Funny you should mention carport….

“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Yogi
Booboo Bear said:

I thought about this this past weekend.

This definitely has to be the inspiration.

Drove past First Baptist Hewitt this weekend, and they have one of those carports with a basketball goal beneath it, so, essentially. a mini-foster.

Bbear2d

Booboo Bear
Bbear2d said:

Uh oh.

[url=https://www.4shared.com/photo/0wQHAc0Dba/gar.html][/url]
LIB,MR BEARS
Bbear2d said:

that's one of the babies. I'd get out of the water before mom comes along
fredbear
I brought up the fact that architecturally it is not on par with the football stadium when the renderings first emerged. I was clobbered with comments indicating "I just don't get it." To me, if u spent that kind of money, u want a timeless gem of a design, not a prefab look. I'll stay open minded until I see it in person, but unfortunately, it appears I was on target.
Calrocks94
The parking garage is going vertical this week
Yogi

Yogi
fredbear said:

I brought up the fact that architecturally it is not on par with the football stadium when the renderings first emerged. I was clobbered with comments indicating "I just don't get it." To me, if u spent that kind of money, u want a timeless gem of a design, not a prefab look. I'll stay open minded until I see it in person, but unfortunately, it appears I was on target.

It is a timeless gym.
Yogi
LIB,MR BEARS
Yogi said:

Word on the TCU campus is that gar can be trained to attach mines to pontoon boats. If something like this is true, sailgating is in danger.

Does anyone know if this person training, I mean showing, the gar he caught has ties to TCU?
Yogi
Booboo Bear said:

The new unofficial nickname for FP:

"THE GARPORT"!
Yogi
Nice electrical show tonight.

Mitch Blood Green
Booboo Bear said:

Will they get sued by Marvin Gay's estate?
Yogi
The Garport. 05/07/2023
gobears20
Staff
Redbrickbear
Booboo Bear said:

100%

Love that we are getting a new arena....love the location....love the size...hate the architecture

Would have loved for it to have followed a more classic design on the outside.
Yogi
The smaller crane is now gone from the construction site.

The only crane remaining is the tower crane being used to construct the parking facility. The arena itself is getting close to being "dried out" which means they can start putting the guts and sheetrock in.

VaeBear
Redbrickbear said:

Booboo Bear said:

100%

Love that we are getting a new arena....love the location....love the size...hate the architecture

Same with the new welcome center. Not sure who approved the architecture on that one.
atomicblast
Any updated photos? For those of us not in the 254?
Method Man
Redbrickbear said:

Booboo Bear said:

100%

I drove by the site yesterday on my way to Austin.
I think you guys are whining too much.

Many artists do not like to show their work until its completed. This is one of those cases.

The basketball arena is not "tiny" at all. Its a pretty normal sized college basketball venue.
When this arena is completed its going to look very sharp.

If I had $100 million to throw around I would have placed a new basketball arena behind the new visitor center, but this location is very visible to the thousands of cars that drive through Waco everyday on I-35.
historian
I understand the debates over location although I don't understand Mulkey throwing a fit over it, if those rumors are true. Personally, I thought the original plans made sense except the parking issue.

The decision was made & construction is proceeding nicely. I have to admit the current location makes a lot of sense: high visibility & easy access to interstate highway. The parking problem is solved with new garage (traffic will be another issue). I also see the desire to have it on the river. If someone ever builds a hotel on the river, it adds the prospect of a river taxi.
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
Adriacus Peratuun
historian said:

I understand the debates over location although I don't understand Mulkey throwing a fit over it, if those rumors are true. Personally, I thought the original plans made sense except the parking issue.

Because she was running her standard scam. Press faux complaints on issue A to get concessions in area B.

Every time she was told No on anything over the years, this scam was her exact Go To move.

She played that same game one time too many [in conjunction with having burned every bridge with the AD, President, BOR].
whitetrash
historian said:

The decision was made & construction is proceeding nicely. I have to admit the current location makes a lot of sense: high visibility & easy access to interstate highway. The parking problem is solved with new garage (traffic will be another issue). I also see the desire to have it on the river. If someone ever builds a hotel on the river, it adds the prospect of a river taxi.
There are 455 parking spaces in the new garage, plus probably 50-60 surface spaces in the Robinson Tower lot. At FC, there are 770 spaces south of the main drive off U-P and probably another 1,000-1,200 spaces on the north side toward the ballpark and Getterman. So there are 1,200-1,500 cars that otherwise parked onsite at FC who won't be onsite at Foster.

The furthest onsite parking spots (in the back corner by the berm of the Ballpark) are probably 350 yards at most from the door to FC. The next closest parking lot to Foster will be the new lot behind the Hurd Howdy Hut, plus the north garage across the street. Each of those will be a minimum of 350-500 yards from Foster. The portion of the McLane lots nearest the intersection of MLK and I-35 are probably next; that would be about 500 yards at a minimum (but "plenty of spaces available").

P.S.: It also may be a roughly similar walk from the convention center lot across the street from Ninfa's as it would be from the McLane lots, after you factor in having to walk back to MLK before crossing the river.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.