RANDOM ARENA UPDATES

120,026 Views | 640 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Yogi
Johnny2Chips
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big12Bear said:

Johnny2Chips said:

Does anyone know where to park before the parking garage is finished?
https://baylorbears.com/news/2023/12/19/foster-forward-getting-to-the-pavilion.aspx
Thanks for the info!
Jack Bauer
Tip off in 5 days.
highplains
Calrocks94 said:

Throwing out a miracle I'm in need of one ticket for the game. If anybody has one that aren't trying to rob me for it I will gladly take one. I just need one.

According to a FB ad, there are plenty of seats available on Seatgeek.
vg1984
I am sure this has been answered previously, but why did they choose to not use a video board above center court?
whitetrash
Drove past it this afternoon. Met 2 cement trucks leaving, one pouring in U-P north of Clay, and one more arriving. The street directly in front of the entrance was finally clear, but there were still 7-8 ft tall piles of gravel and asphalt in the street between the entrance and 35.

Subcontractor cars and trucks parked solid almost to 3rd and Webster. Arena looks fairly finished on the outside. Plaza may be poured but of course no landscaping yet. Garage looked "finished" in that the railings were in on each level and no scaffolding seen, but no idea if they had the elevator installed and working yet.

U-P is still a disaster zone from Jackson to 35. I'm guessing the shuttle buses will drop off either at I-35 access road or at Clay or Webster (coming from downtown).

So we will see.
Bexar Pitts
Start sellin beer and call John Taffer!
Big12Bear
whitetrash said:

U-P is still a disaster zone from Jackson to 35. I'm guessing the shuttle buses will drop off either at I-35 access road or at Clay or Webster (coming from downtown).

So we will see.
The Downtown shuttle will go down 3rd to Clay and then go up Clay to UP, turning around at Ross to go back.

Here's a map:

It looks like both McLane and Ferrell shuttles will drop off right at the doorstep, on UP.
Yogi
We almost here.

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
historian
Looks like it will be amazing!
“Incline my heart to your testimonies, and not to selfish gain!”
Psalm 119:36
MrGolfguy
tiny but amazing
Fre3dombear
I wonder if this is dead last in size compared
To all other P5 stadiums
martin18
Creighton, St. John's, Villanova, Stanford, TCU, and Northwestern arenas all smaller
Fre3dombear
martin18 said:

Creighton, St. John's, Villanova, Stanford, TCU, and Northwestern arenas all smaller

Lol. Just off top of my head, creighton holds almost 18,000 or so

Maybe the others in your list are correct
martin18
Take it up with chat GPT
Yogi
Gonzaga isn't P5 but is akways relevant and has a 6,000 seat arena.

I think we went a little smaller on the arena, but again, we don't even know what college athletics will look like in 15 years or how Baylor will fit into it.

I think the reality that 7,000 seats is considered perfect for Baylor University should be a wake up call that we need to work harder to develop our brand.
historian
It is a fact that in Texas, the main focus is football. It always gets more attention, more butts in seats, more eyeballs on screens, & thus more $$$. That is not changing anytime soon.

I wish the new arena were a bit larger and ticket prices were a bit lower. But they aren't. C'est La vie. I cannot make it to an MBB game because I cannot afford tickets as high or higher than those for football games, especially when I consider the cost of gas, food, etc. my budget is limited so I've already decided I will attend some WBB games instead. I'll be there Wednesday for the TCU game & I've ordered my ticket for the Texas rematch.

It's economic reality dictated by supply & demand. When the powers that be decided to build a new arena they chose the downtown location for multiple reasons including the support of the city. They also realize it needed to be smaller than the FC. I expect average attendance for MBB games in recent years was somewhere around 7,000 which is why they chose that number. It's important to have a strong home court advantage. We have seen that in the big games (WBB v UConn in January 2019, MBB v Kansas every year, both teams v Texas almost every year, MBB v Villanova 2021, etc) it helps tremendously. We also know from the other perspective with road games especially in Lawrence, Ames, Morgantown, etc.

I know from first handexperience since I attended most of the home game examples above (& yesterday in Austin). The players have said so as well.

Krieg
They threw down some fresh asphalt that's temporary I'm sure and were trying to clean the dirt off the rest of the road today.

That garage looks a long way from done. I guess part of I must be close, but man it doesn't look close.

I took pictures, but apparently I have to pay to provide info so...yeah, not happening.
whitetrash
Krieg said:

They threw down some fresh asphalt that's temporary I'm sure and were trying to clean the dirt off the rest of the road today.

That garage looks a long way from done. I guess part of I must be close, but man it doesn't look close.

I took pictures, but apparently I have to pay to provide info so...yeah, not happening.

One of the big questions about the garage was whether the elevator would be installed and operable. There hasn't been any more mention of its status in the last couple of weeks.
Yogi
Courtesy of CHIbear....

The goals look brand new. They are larger than the goals we had at Ferrell and now branded.
Big12Bear
martin18 said:

Houston and SMU (P6 next year) are also smaller.

Creighton plays in a huge arena, and will draw over 17K sometimes.

Meanwhile, Villanova, St John's, UConn and Georgetown all have the ability to switch from smaller campus arena to larger buildings for bigger games.

As is the trend, the new Bama arena in the works will downsize from 15000+ with Coleman Coliseum, down to 10,000 - similar to what UT did.
BU82EX
I've walked past the arena over the past 2 days and here are a couple of observations:
  • Not sure how many entry points will be open so expect long lines to get into Foster
  • The Webster garage is going to be a nightmare. One way in and one way out around the back of an apartment complex with just one lane each way.
  • I don't see how the Foster Garage will be open for tonight (announcement?). Construction fencing up as of noon today and plenty of debris/storage in garage.
  • If you can, I'd avoid both garages (Webster and Foster) until the sight is completely cleaned up. In our brief excursions we saw plenty of nails and other debris scattered all along UP Blvd and Webster. I know they are working feverishly with blowers to clear the dust, but people are going to pick up nails in their tires.
Excited to be there tonight even though its probably only 70% ready for fans.
Calrocks94
So the parking garage is ready but it's only gonna be ready for a few of the big donors. I don't know if they ever got the elevators also by July everything will be done. There's a whole faade that's gonna be put onto the garage there was supposed to be I think there's still is going to be retail space at the bottom for a restaurant or two they've got to finish the courtyard they've got to finish the practice facility. And then the city is going to start construction on the Riverwalk hopefully before the summer.
historian
That's a lot that still needs to be done!
Calrocks94
It may seem a lot and that needs to be done but nothing that will stop them from playing games. It's basically all the. Beautification that still needs to be done. Nothing that will affect the fan experience. It only impact a student athlete, not having their gyms or locker rooms or coaches with their offices yet but good thing is our feral centers close by they can still practice
Jack Bauer
Bexar Pitts
Jack Bauer said:

Very happy to see the hydroponically engineered faux concrete floor is holding the color scheme so well !! Anxious to see what effect all the dribbling will have on it over time...Steel nets look gorgeous..Rumored that crowd will be able to see sparks when a forceful slam dunk occurs...really a unique feature...Not to mention the natural gas powered shot clocks and scoreboards...guaranteed to stay on during electrical failures! They really thought of everything here! Sic 'Em! Edit: A serious Congrats to old BU for such a fine facility...Foster will be the 4th home court where I've watched the Bears play....As the great Frank Fallon often said...."This one belongs to the Baylor Bears!"
Yogi
All dressed up and ready for a show.

Russell Gym
Big12Bear said:

Meanwhile, Villanova, St John's, UConn and Georgetown all have the ability to switch from smaller campus arena to larger buildings for bigger games.

Does Baylor have this ability as well, or has the Ferrell Center been sworn off forever? We will still have the occasional promotional game in a big Texas city, but nothing we would trade a home game for.
martin18
I'm having a hard time getting used to this broadcast angle. I wonder how different national broadcasts will be.
historian
My first reaction is I do not like this camera angle. It reminds me of Iba in Stillwater but I don't think it's quite as bad. I do wish they could have designed it with better positions for the cameras.

I think we will get used to it.
whitetrash
Things that need to be worked on ASAP:

1. When it rains on opening night, you learn quickly where the roof leaks are. And there was one right about the seam between the lower roof over the entrance and the main roof, which dripped on the staircase to the left about 2/3 of the way up.

2. The Mrs. was not happy that they hadn't installed latches on the stalls in the ladies room. Or at least in the one in the front left corner.

3. All the smoke from the fireworks during the pregame introductions lingered for a hazy 10-15 minutes. It wasn't a problem at FC with a higher roof and more gently sloping seats, but at FP with the higher closer seats it stayed in the sight lines for a good part of the first half.

4. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SOMEBODY TELL THE DJ TO TURN DOWN THE BASS!! Don't mind the crowd noise, and even the pump up the jam, but after a long loud stretch of game time, you want a bit of a break during a time out. And the music is even louder and more throbbing than the crowd. My head is still splitting.
GoodOleBaylorLine
vg1984 said:

I am sure this has been answered previously, but why did they choose to not use a video board above center court?
My guess is it would block the view in the upper seats and you don't need it. The ceiling looks pretty low.
historian
Parking garage. If you look carefully, you can see cars are parked in it.

Jack Bauer
Saw this on ESPN
Quote:

Ferrell Center will remain home to the school's national champion acrobatics and tumbling team, and the women's volleyball squad.

The men's and women's basketball teams will continue to use their practice gyms at the Ferrell Center. The development center at the new arena with practice courts, dedicated locker rooms and team lounges will be completed later this year.

If the Baylor women make the NCAA tournament and host first- and second-round games, those would be played at the Ferrell Center because of the extra space needed that wouldn't yet be available in the new building.

Yogi
They have a convenience store on the club level. I kid you not. Bottled sodas, snacks, pretzels all on the club level.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.