The Collapse of Christian Faith in the US

29,376 Views | 676 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by whiterock
LIB,MR BEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Share your comments.

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/the-collapse-of-faith-in-america/

(ps i posted before I read all of it.)
Doc Holliday
I don't know why this alarms or shocks people, especially Christians.

Mankind gradually will start worshipping himself and despise god.

2 Timothy 3:1-3
But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good
Wrecks Quan Dough
Doc Holliday said:

I don't know why this alarms or shocks people, especially Christians.

Mankind gradually will start worshipping himself and despise god.

2 Timothy 3:1-3
But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good
It is here. Exhibit A is how college students--especially college aged girls--react to Kristan Hawkins when she gives speeches and presentations on the horrors and ethics of abortion.
Johnny Bear
Certainly doesn't help that one of the two major political parties is and has for a number years now been controlled by an evil Godless force that also dominates the MSM, social media, entertainment media, and academia and hates the fact that our nation was founded on Judeo-Christian principles. By extension, they also hate believing Christians that take their faith seriously and are dedicated to continually do all they can to denigrate and bring the faith down. Sadly for our country the evidence keeps mounting that their dedicated efforts appear to be succeeding.
EatMoreSalmon
Signs of the failure of Christian parents to show their children what is important -

- sleep in on Sunday after late birthday parties
- choose extra activities (sports, dance, music lessons, etc.) that are scheduled over spiritual teaching activities
- choose to never or rarely read the Bible with their children
- choose to keep "church in the church" and act like what is taught in church is useless in the "real world."
- choose to only attend church activities on Sunday morning or midweek, leaving out serving church members/community and group study
- choose to not discuss religious matters with children so they will "find their own way," as if their children with little to no life experience need no guidance

There is obviously more to the problem than failure of parents, but that is a big factor. That lack of guidance is one reason social media has had such a disproportionate impact.
ScottS
I think the rise in drug use probably parallels this. I mean how can people worship God if they are stoned out of their minds??
ABC BEAR
Johnny Bear said:

Certainly doesn't help that one of the two major political parties is and has for a number years now been controlled by an evil Godless force that also dominates the MSM, social media, entertainment media, and academia and hates the fact that our nation was founded on Judeo-Christian principles. By extension, they also hate believing Christians that take their faith seriously and are dedicated to continually do all they can to denigrate and bring the faith down. Sadly for our country the evidence keeps mounting that their dedicated efforts appear to be succeeding.
I don't need to buy a vowel, I'm ready to solve...DEMOCRAT PARTY.
Waco1947
Why blame Democrats? The fault may be with Evangelicals.
Waco1947
Redbrickbear
The decline actually began back in the 1960s-1970s but then stabilized for several decades.

Then began to decline again post turn of the century.

Picking up even more speed around the introduction of the I-Phone

Waco1947
As always with evangelicals it's the people's own fault. It is clearly stated here in the last paragraphs.
" Just as He has done throughout the past two thousand years, Jesus is still showing people that He is alive.

Sadly, many Americans simply do not care.

Our nation is choosing to reject faith like never before, and right now there are no indications that this is going to turn around any time soon.."
1. "Americans simply do not care" so it's Americans fault because apparently they are blind
2. " Our nation is choosing to reject faith like never before"
Apparently America is at fault for rejecting faith and NOT how the evangelicals' share the good news of Christ.
If Jesus is alive then it's not Jesus fault that people reject His good news but just maybe that evangelicals are so literal, arrogant, and so narrow about the faith and so far removed from sharing His grace.
Waco1947
Redbrickbear
Waco1947 said:

We get it…you really don't like Evangelicals.

Lucky for you they are not the majority of American Christians nor do they have any real power in the media or in the cultural and consensus forming institutions of the USA.
LIB,MR BEARS
We need a revival. Another Great Awakening or Azusa Street.

With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.

BearN
Waco1947 said:

Lol. Says one of the daughters of the ***** of Babylon
ScottS
Waco1947 said:

Do you have any stats or facts of any kind to back up what you are saying??
ABC BEAR
Waco1947 said:

You caught me harvesting the low hanging fruit, '47.

The decline of the influence of Christianity in society most assuredly falls at the feet of the church itself. In the pulpit and in the pews, modern churches have backed away from addressing sin and its consequences.

Ecumenicalism and social engineering have gutted denominations of deity, doctrine and dogma. Ask a Lutheran, a Presbyterian or a Methodist what the denomination stands for and you are likely to get an answer devoid of traditional doctrine and full of HHS talking points.

Where does your church stand on the matter?
Osodecentx
Redbrickbear said:

The decline actually began back in the 1960s-1970s but then stabilized for several decades.

It is the country and its culture that suffers, not the Gospel or its effectiveness in changing lives.

America is in decline. I have beliefs about the causes, it is a chicken-egg question.
JXL
Waco1947 said:

As always with evangelicals it's the people's own fault. It is clearly stated here in the last paragraphs.
" Just as He has done throughout the past two thousand years, Jesus is still showing people that He is alive.

Our nation is choosing to reject faith like never before, and right now there are no indications that this is going to turn around any time soon.."
1. "Americans simply do not care" so it's Americans fault because apparently they are blind
Apparently America is at fault for rejecting faith and NOT how the evangelicals' share the good news of Christ.
If Jesus is alive then it's not Jesus fault that people reject His good news but just maybe that evangelicals are so literal, arrogant, and so narrow about the faith and so far removed from sharing His grace.

Would you have said the same about Stephen (Acts ch. 7)?
Titus and Titus
Johnny Bear said:

Who dominates the MSM, social media, entertainment?
Who hates Christian pinciples?
Wrecks Quan Dough
Titus and Titus said:

Johnny Bear said:

Who dominates the MSM, social media, entertainment?
Who hates Christian pinciples?

Wokesters, leftists, and other communists.
Titus and Titus
Redbrickbear said:

Interesting. 1970 looks like an important year.
LIB,MR BEARS
Titus and Titus said:

Redbrickbear said:

I was 7 years old then. In your opinion, what happened in 1970? I know that was during the Jesus Movement.

Roe v Wade was '73
BaylorJacket
Christianity is predicted to be a minority religious affiliation in the US by ~2050:

Source: The National Public Opinion Reference Survey (NPORS)
Titus and Titus
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Titus and Titus said:

Redbrickbear said:

I was 7 years old then. In your opinion, what happened in 1970? I know that was during the Jesus Movement.

Roe v Wade was '73
Not sure. But clearly a time when policies intending to change the populace and the populace's beliefs began to work.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Titus and Titus said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Titus and Titus said:

Redbrickbear said:

Roe v Wade was '73
Not sure. But clearly a time when policies intending to change the populace and the populace's beliefs began to work.

Sexual Revolution. Balaam's error. Cannot be hurt from the outside but sexual sin will rot the nation from within.
Redbrickbear

ABC BEAR
Titus and Titus said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Titus and Titus said:

Redbrickbear said:

Roe v Wade was '73

The change actually came in 1971 with the SCOTUS decision in Graham v. Richardson. The court decided that welfare restrictions for legal aliens violated the 14the Amendment's Equal Protection Clause. Over time that interpretation has been expanded by states and the Feds to include welfare payouts to illegals as well.

Looking at the chart shows an inverse slippery slope in relation to benefits and immigration.
Waco1947
Redbrickbear said:

Waco1947 said:

Lucky for you they are not the majority of American Christians nor do they have any real power in the media or in the cultural and consensus forming institutions of the USA.
Your disdain for me has nothing to do with the truth. Evangelicals are the quick to blame others. Evangelicals may be the new Pharisees "I thank God I am not like other Waco1947."
Waco1947
Osodecentx
Waco1947 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Waco1947 said:

Your disdain for me has nothing to do with the truth. Evangelicals are the quick to blame others. Evangelicals may be the new Pharisees "I thank God I am not like other Waco1947."

That's a really large brush
Mothra
Waco1947 said:

I know you hate evangelicals and have a need to blame them for everything, but I would argue that progressive "Christians" such as yourself, and your watered-down distortion of the Gospel have also played a huge role in the decline of membership. The truth is the progressive church is the fastest dying church in America today.

Of course, the fact that this was expected to happen in the end times may also be playing a part. God is sovereign. I know you disagree with that, but scripture told us this would happen.
Mothra
Waco1947 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Waco1947 said:

Incredible how often you accuse those you disdain of having disdain for you, instead of addressing the substance of their argument.

This is called a tu quoque and/or victim fallacy, and you engage in it quite often to avoid addressing the substance of a poster's post.
ScottS
Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

I know you hate evangelicals and have a need to blame them for everything, but I would argue that progressive "Christians" such as yourself, and your watered-down distortion of the Gospel have also played a huge role in the decline of membership. The truth is the progressive church is the fastest dying church in America today.

Of course, the fact that this was expected to happen in the end times may also be playing a part. God is sovereign. I know you disagree with that, but scripture told us this would happen.
Wait a second, isn't 1947 an evangelical himself? That would mean he is blaming himself (or at least partially blaming himself).
Redbrickbear
ScottS said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Wait a second, isn't 1947 an evangelical himself? That would mean he is blaming himself (or at least partially blaming himself).

Oh its obvious that Waco1947 does not like himself...the self hatred is explicit.
ScottS
So is 1947 basically blaming Republican Christians?
Redbrickbear
quash

The end of superstition can't come fast enough.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.