The Collapse of Christian Faith in the US

31,202 Views | 676 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by whiterock
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Osodecentx said:

Christianity isn't collapsing. Some denominations in USA are losing members. Christianity outside the US is prospering.

Churches teaching the full counsel of God are doing just fine
P.S. It is the good news of Jesus Christ. Ask the guy on the cross next to JC. He goes into heaven without a bible study, doctrine of justification, or full counsel
Waco1947
Redbrickbear
LIB,MR BEARS
Waco1947 said:

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1437610343721578/

That sermon was delivered in Waco at an event for the seminary'. It's a great line but, you need to listen to the full sermon to get the full message.
Osodecentx
Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Christianity isn't collapsing. Some denominations in USA are losing members. Christianity outside the US is prospering.

Churches teaching the full counsel of God are doing just fine
P.S. It is the good news of Jesus Christ. Ask the guy on the cross next to JC. He goes into heaven without a bible study, doctrine of justification, or full counsel
Look,
I don't insult you or pile on when you post stuff that is frankly incorrect or heretical. I've learned that you and I don't share the same dictionary. Words that have a plain meaning to most don't have that meaning to you. IMO, it is irreconcilable so why try?

You and I aren't going to argue because it would be a waste of time for both of us and your time is too valuable for that.

I'm okay, you're okay
Waco1947
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

That sermon was delivered in Waco at an event for the seminary'. It's a great line but, you need to listen to the full sermon to get the full message.
Thanks for listening Got a link?
Waco1947
LIB,MR BEARS
Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Thanks for listening Got a link?

Redbrickbear
https://www.theamericanconservative.com/church-collapse-cincinnati-benedict-option/

[Church Collapse In Cincinnati
Archdiocese plans to close 70 percent of parishes as de-Christianization hits hard.]

Limited IQ Redneck in PU
Titus and Titus said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Titus and Titus said:

Redbrickbear said:

The decline actually began back in the 1960s-1970s but then stabilized for several decades.

Then began to decline again post turn of the century.

Picking up even more speed around the introduction of the I-Phone

Interesting. 1970 looks like an important year.
I was 7 years old then. In your opinion, what happened in 1970? I know that was during the Jesus Movement.

Roe v Wade was '73
Not sure. But clearly a time when policies intending to change the populace and the populace's beliefs began to work.

Republican presidents Nixon and Ford. lol
Osodecentx
Limited IQ Redneck in PU said:

Titus and Titus said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Titus and Titus said:

Redbrickbear said:

The decline actually began back in the 1960s-1970s but then stabilized for several decades.

I was 7 years old then. In your opinion, what happened in 1970? I know that was during the Jesus Movement.

Roe v Wade was '73
Not sure. But clearly a time when policies intending to change the populace and the populace's beliefs began to work.

S Ct decision
Who appointed them?
'LOL'?
Limited IQ Redneck in PU
The first recorded evidence of induced abortion is from the Egyptian Ebers Papyrus in 1550 BCE. Many of the methods employed in early cultures were non-surgical. Physical activities such as strenuous labor, climbing, paddling, weightlifting, or diving were a common technique.

Laws do not stop abortion. They just make it more dangerous and try to take the decision away from the person it affects the most. It doesnt matter too much to people of wealth, they can always travel. It put poor women in a hard place. For every abortion they should castrate the man responsible. Tunes would change.
Redbrickbear

The first recorded evidence of induced abortion is from the Egyptian Ebers Papyrus in 1550 BCE. Many of the methods employed in early cultures were non-surgical. Physical activities such as strenuous labor, climbing, paddling, weightlifting, or diving were a common technique.

Laws do not stop abortion. They just make it more dangerous and try to take the decision away from the person it affects the most. It doesnt matter too much to people of wealth, they can always travel. It put poor women in a hard place. For every abortion they should castrate the man responsible. Tunes would change.

And Murder has always been with us as well.

Strangely enough we have still always had laws against murder, in every society, in every period of human history.

And while it never completely eliminates murderโ€ฆ.it does make it more rareโ€ฆsaves livesโ€ฆand sends a societal message about what is acceptable human behavior.

Abortion (a form of murder) is no different.
LIB,MR BEARS

Titus and Titus said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Titus and Titus said:

Redbrickbear said:

Roe v Wade was '73

How long did it take to begin to feel the impact of The Great Society?
LIB,MR BEARS

The person it effects the most has never been a part of the decision making process.
quash
Oldbear83 said:

Quote:

Oldbear83 said:
But pretending Sin is not the problem is a fatal mistake.

Quash:
LOL.

I see you are channeling your inner Satan again, Quash.

Nope. I don't believe in your made up friend. Nor his made up an enemy.
โ€œLife, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.โ€ (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
TexasScientist
LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

It's funny how the religious minded often have the most trouble recognizing harm and distinguishing right from wrong i.e. Ginni and Clarence Thomas, Jim Baker, Catholic Clergy, Southern Baptist administration, Jerry Falwell, Jr., many posters on this board etc.
Cool story bro!

You do realize that Christians are not to worshipClarence Thomas, Jim Baker, Jerry Falwell et al ? You speaking to the failures of men does nothing but support what scripture tells us. Should I take this as an indicator that you are returning to the Christian faith?
I realize most Christians don't worship them. They're just prominent examples that Christians have trouble recognizing harm and distinguishing right from wrong. Scripture is written by primitive people who had the same problem.
quash

We're already seeing attempts to legislatively stop the rich from going out of state. There may be no limit to how many rights will be restricted to force women to use their bodies in service of the state.
โ€œLife, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.โ€ (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Sam Lowry
TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

It's funny how the religious minded often have the most trouble recognizing harm and distinguishing right from wrong i.e. Ginni and Clarence Thomas, Jim Baker, Catholic Clergy, Southern Baptist administration, Jerry Falwell, Jr., many posters on this board etc.
Cool story bro!

You do realize that Christians are not to worshipClarence Thomas, Jim Baker, Jerry Falwell et al ? You speaking to the failures of men does nothing but support what scripture tells us. Should I take this as an indicator that you are returning to the Christian faith?
I realize most Christians don't worship them. They're just prominent examples that Christians have trouble recognizing harm and distinguishing right from wrong. Scripture is written by primitive people who had the same problem.
The world of antiquity was only primitive in the sense that it didn't particularly value forgiveness or compassion. Christianity changed that. You have most of your ideas about right and wrong because you were able to borrow them from religion.
quash
Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Cool story bro!

The world of antiquity was only primitive in the sense that it didn't particularly value forgiveness or compassion. Christianity changed that. You have most of your ideas about right and wrong because you were able to borrow them from religion.

Ideas about right and wrong influenced religion from its manufacture date.

The moral arc continues to bend toward justice, often well ahead of religion.
whiterock
quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Cool story bro!

ahh... the arc of history bends toward justice, and the path apparently runs thru drag shows in elementary schools to normalize pedophilia, forums on reparations in the name of equity, and open borders to solve the problem of low birth rate.

The idea that religion is a construct to legitimize societal norms is not an unreasonable postulate. But in making it, one implicitly presumes that culture itself is the oppressor, and must be attacked. And that's exactly what we see on the progressive left, a sustained program of anti-culture. ANY majoritarian view is attacked (except their own.) Liberals typically neither engage or disassociate from such. They stand by thoughtfully, wistfully, then use the resulting chaos as a ladder to get what they want.
Waco1947
quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Cool story bro!

The arrogance of religion is "I created my understanding of God in this place and time and culture; therefore, it applies to all humanity."
Religion continues to try and thwart science, freedom, justice and its own goals of compassion and love.
Pollical power is at stake in religion and it subverts its own goodness to that power.
Waco1947
Sam Lowry
Waco1947 said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Cool story bro!

The arrogance of religion is "I created my understanding of God in this place and time and culture; therefore, it applies to all humanity."
Religion continues to try and thwart science, freedom, justice and its own goals of compassion and love.
Pollical power is at stake in religion and it subverts its own goodness to that power.
Tens of millions have been murdered in the name of science, freedom, justice, and compassion. Words are empty and ultimately no protection without reference to divine law.
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

Quote:

Oldbear83 said:
But pretending Sin is not the problem is a fatal mistake.

Quash:
LOL.

I see you are channeling your inner Satan again, Quash.

Nope. I don't believe in your made up friend. Nor his made up an enemy.

Your logic fails in a manner similar to the grammar in your last post.

But to the point, quash. Do you contend that evil does not exist? That good is not real?
Redbrickbear
Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Cool story bro!

Tens of millions have been murdered in the name of science, freedom, justice, and compassion. Words are empty and ultimately no protection without reference to divine law.
Waco and quash will still not explain how 3 of the most vicious, brutal, and mass murdering regimes of human history were all secular. Nazi Germany, Communist USSR, and Communist China...all these were either covertly hostile to religion (Nazi) or out right trying to destroy it (USSR, China).

Death figures...

Nazi Germany: 6-12 million victims (just civilians not counting military killed)
USSR: 9-20 million liquidated are starved and worked to death by the communists
Mao's China: 40-60 million

Oh and a 4th group....the Mongol Empire... probably killed at least 10% of the entire world population at the time. Practicing folk shamanism they were certainly not motivated by religion to kill, rape, murder, and steal...they just did it for fun. They were agnostic on most religious issues...one might classify them as proto-secular.

[estimate is that about 11% of the world's population was killed either during or immediately after the Mongol invasions, around 37.7560 million people in Eurasia. These events are regarded as some of the deadliest acts of mass killing in human history.
Doc Holliday
whiterock said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Cool story bro!

ahh... the arc of history bends toward justice, and the path apparently runs thru drag shows in elementary schools to normalize pedophilia, forums on reparations in the name of equity, and open borders to solve the problem of low birth rate.

The idea that religion is a construct to legitimize societal norms is not an unreasonable postulate. But in making it, one implicitly presumes that culture itself is the oppressor, and must be attacked. And that's exactly what we see on the progressive left, a sustained program of anti-culture. ANY majoritarian view is attacked (except their own.) Liberals typically neither engage or disassociate from such. They stand by thoughtfully, wistfully, then use the resulting chaos as a ladder to get what they want.

The left has two unique problems hardwired into their toxic movements:

1.) Their views go against reality and require extreme control over information and the public to reduce exposure.

2.) If their replacement of culture comes to fruition, it then becomes majoritarian and attacked by the monster they helped create.

There is no outcome where they succeed.
Waco1947
Sam Lowry said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Cool story bro!

I challenge the factual nature of your claim that science, freedom, justice and compassion.
Religion, counting on a perverse divine law, are the true culprits.
Waco1947
Waco1947
Doc Holliday said:

whiterock said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Cool story bro!

The left has two unique problems hardwired into their toxic movements:

1.) Their views go against reality and require extreme control over information and the public to reduce exposure.

2.) If their replacement of culture comes to fruition, it then becomes majoritarian and attacked by the monster they helped create.

There is no outcome where they succeed.
You have no proof, just fantasy that somehow sounds intelligent to you.
Waco1947
Waco1947
Waco and quash will still not explain how 3 of the most vicious, brutal, and mass murdering regimes of human history were all secular.

These regimes all had despot who were worshipped by the people as a god.
Hitler, Moa, Stalin.
Waco1947
Oldbear83
Waco1947 said:

Waco and quash will still not explain how 3 of the most vicious, brutal, and mass murdering regimes of human history were all secular.

Hitler, Moa, Stalin.
Not 'as' a god.

In place of God.

Be careful where you stand, Waco.
whiterock
Oldbear83 said:

Waco1947 said:

Hitler, Moa, Stalin.
Not 'as' a god.

In place of God.

Be careful where you stand, Waco.
Several hundred million people killed.
By enlightened leaders who saw religion as a social construct that stood in the way of liberty.
Just like Waco......
Redbrickbear

LIB,MR BEARS
Waco1947 said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Cool story bro!

Are you so blind that you don't see that first sentence applying to yourself? At the very least, we are to use scripture and some introspection to adjust our attitudes and behaviors. You, on the other hand, treat scripture like a Chinese menu-ordering what you want and disregarding everything you disagree with.

Arrogance is a hell of a drug
Redbrickbear
Waco1947
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Cool story bro!

Are you so blind that you don't see that first sentence applying to yourself? At the very least, we are to use scripture and some introspection to adjust our attitudes and behaviors. You, on the other hand, treat scripture like a Chinese menu-ordering what you want and disregarding everything you disagree with.

"I created my understanding of God in this place and time and culture; therefore, it applies to all humanity." This is arrogance pure and simple and for whatever reason you think your accident birth in western culture is superior. You simply showed up here not africa or asia
Waco1947
Oldbear83
Wrong, Waco. You created an idol and call it 'god'.

Somehow you don't understand why that causes you to stumble.
LIB,MR BEARS
Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

TexasScientist said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

TexasScientist said:

Cool story bro!

"I created my understanding of God in this place and time and culture; therefore, it applies to all humanity." This is arrogance pure and simple and for whatever reason you think your accident birth in western culture is superior. You simply showed up here not africa or asia
Scripture is scripture regardless of the language of the translation.

China has the underground church and doesn't use your Chinese menu reading tactics.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.