The Collapse of Christian Faith in the US

31,186 Views | 676 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by whiterock
Waco1947
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

The end of superstition can't come fast enough.

So true

He's talking about you as well, numnuts.
I agree with quash. The end of superstition cannot come fast enough. The scientific age is happening and secular people understand this new age but but many like you insist on superstition.
Does God have a place in your scientific age?
Lib we have down this road. Yes, the scientific age does accommodate God because the love commandment is not scientific but exists and is provable.
Waco1947
Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Waco1947 said:

Why blame Democrats? The fault may be with Evangelicals.

We get it…you really don't like Evangelicals.

Lucky for you they are not the majority of American Christians nor do they have any real power in the media or in the cultural and consensus forming institutions of the USA.
Your disdain for me has nothing to do with the truth. Evangelicals are the quick to blame others. Evangelicals may be the new Pharisees "I thank God I am not like other Waco1947."

That's a really large brush
Yes it is a large brush but it is based on this article and its Pharisaical branding of non-Christians.
Evangelicals who are non-compatibilists are the new Pharisees. One who is non-compatibile with other than their own doctrines means they are cannot allow another to believe differently that they do and are extremely hostile to those who believe a different theology.
Not all Evangelicals are non-compatible with other Christian doctrines. These evangelical are ok with differing beliefs because they know that the Christian faith is about faith in Jesus Christ and not in doctrines about Him.
Those who oppose me so vehemently are non-compatible hence Pharisees who understanding is "my way of belief or the highway to hell."
Differing beliefs are ok with respect to the nonessentials. It's when you start distorting Christianity's central tenets and foundations - as you have done - that it becomes an issue.

You're no longer Christian, my friend.Well . . .fortunately I answer to God not you

Indeed, that is correct. Boy are you in for a surprise in the afterlife...
I will die into the arms of loving God.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

I agree with quash. The end of superstition cannot come fast enough. The scientific age is happening and secular people understand this new age but but many like you insist on superstition.
Yes, the scientific age does accommodate God
Well, that is mighty nice of it.
Waco1947
quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

With y'all yes: you keep putting him in the gaps .

Bishop John A T Robinson made this point in his book in the 1960s "Honest to God." The god of the gaps he called it.
Mothra
Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Waco1947 said:

Lucky for you they are not the majority of American Christians nor do they have any real power in the media or in the cultural and consensus forming institutions of the USA.
Your disdain for me has nothing to do with the truth. Evangelicals are the quick to blame others. Evangelicals may be the new Pharisees "I thank God I am not like other Waco1947."

Yes it is a large brush but it is based on this article and its Pharisaical branding of non-Christians.
Evangelicals who are non-compatibilists are the new Pharisees. One who is non-compatibile with other than their own doctrines means they are cannot allow another to believe differently that they do and are extremely hostile to those who believe a different theology.
Not all Evangelicals are non-compatible with other Christian doctrines. These evangelical are ok with differing beliefs because they know that the Christian faith is about faith in Jesus Christ and not in doctrines about Him.
Those who oppose me so vehemently are non-compatible hence Pharisees who understanding is "my way of belief or the highway to hell."
Differing beliefs are ok with respect to the nonessentials. It's when you start distorting Christianity's central tenets and foundations - as you have done - that it becomes an issue.

You're no longer Christian, my friend.Well . . .fortunately I answer to God not you

There is no afterlife. Remember, you don't believe in the supernatural.
Waco1947
He Hate Me said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

Yes, the scientific age does accommodate God
Well, that is mighty nice of it.
we have down this road. Yes, the scientific age does accommodate God because the love commandment is not scientific but exists and is provable.
Waco1947
Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

Any belief in God is a belief in the Supernatural.

You're so glib you don't realize that.
we have down this road. Yes, the scientific age does accommodate God because the love commandment is not scientific but exists and is provable.
Mothra
Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Waco1947 said:

There is no afterlife. Remember, you don't believe in the supernatural, and no "afterlife" exists outside of the supernatural.
Mothra
Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

Any belief in God is a belief in the Supernatural.

You're so glib you don't realize that.
No, we haven't been down this road. If you recall, you told me you were going to think about and try to explain how gods and spirits exist in the natural world, but you were wholly unable to defend your position, and ultimately ignored the question - as you always do when it comes to difficult questions about your odd theology.

To date, you've never offered any plausible answer to that question. I doubt you have the courage to do so, as that would require a certain amount of introspection and grappling with your inconsistent and illogical positions.
Waco1947
quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

With the word "y'all" I assume you mean Evangelicals and Fundamentalist. We, process theologians and philosophers, deny the supernatural but believe that yes, the scientific age does accommodate God because the love commandment is not scientific but exists and is provable.
Alfred North Whitehead was both a physicist and a theologian and a Christian. When one views the scientific, physical world then one must ground their theology in science. My birth is simply a gift from the cosmos and the fact that I exist means that I am act of grace by that same cosmos. That understanding is not supernatural but science based. I live.
Yes, the scientific age does accommodate God as understood to be love because the love commandment is not scientific but exists and is provable. God is love pure and simple. That is not scientifically based but existentially based.
As to my death it is not supernatural and Satan and hell but simply That I die in faith into love of God.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Waco1947 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

With the word "y'all" I assume you mean Evangelicals and Fundamentalist. We, process theologians and philosophers, deny the supernatural but believe that yes, the scientific age does accommodate God because the love commandment is not scientific but exists and is provable.
Alfred North Whitehead was both a physicist and a theologian and a Christian. When one views the scientific, physical world then one must ground their theology in science. My birth is simply a gift from the cosmos and the fact that I exist means that I am act of grace by that same cosmos. That understanding is not supernatural but science based. I live.
Yes, the scientific age does accommodate God as understood to be love because the love commandment is not scientific but exists and is provable. God is love pure and simple. That is not scientifically based but existentially based.
As to my death it is not supernatural and Satan and hell but simply That I die in faith into love of God.
I ran a stop sign. It was the cosmos' will; the cosmos' will.
Waco1947
He Hate Me said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

I ran a stop sign. It was the cosmos' will; the cosmos' will.Yes, it was. You may and others may pay a dear price for it.
Osodecentx
Waco1947 said:

He Hate Me said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

I ran a stop sign. It was the cosmos' will; the cosmos' will.Yes, it was. You may and others may pay a dear price for it.

What dear price?
Waco1947
Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

He Hate Me said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

What dear price? Death
Osodecentx
Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

He Hate Me said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

What dear price? Death

I'm confused. How does one come to a saving knowledge of God?
Mothra
Waco1947 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

So, you can prove the existence of God because of his purported commandment to love in scripture?

That makes absolutely no sense.
Mothra
Waco1947 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

Or maybe love is love, and has nothing to do with God. Are you saying love could not exist without God? If so, what evidence do you have supporting this position?
Wrecks Quan Dough
Waco1947 said:

He Hate Me said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

Insha' Cosmos?
Waco1947
Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

So, you can prove the existence of God because of his purported commandment to love in scripture?

Sire it makes sense. The letters of John are crystal clear. God is love What command to you as a Christian Is the most important??
Porteroso
EatMoreSalmon said:

Signs of the failure of Christian parents to show their children what is important -

- sleep in on Sunday after late birthday parties
- choose extra activities (sports, dance, music lessons, etc.) that are scheduled over spiritual teaching activities
- choose to never or rarely read the Bible with their children
- choose to keep "church in the church" and act like what is taught in church is useless in the "real world."
- choose to only attend church activities on Sunday morning or midweek, leaving out serving church members/community and group study
- choose to not discuss religious matters with children so they will "find their own way," as if their children with little to no life experience need no guidance

There is obviously more to the problem than failure of parents, but that is a big factor. That lack of guidance is one reason social media has had such a disproportionate impact.

Just a step away from being as strict as a Pharisee.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

Sire it makes sense. The letters of John are crystal clear. God is love What command to you as a Christian Is the most important??

John's letters are written to those who obey God's commands.
BusyTarpDuster2017
Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

But how do you know the part about God being love is true, since John also says God created everything, and you think that part is false? Do you have a special decoder ring that tells you which parts to believe and which you can discard?
Mothra
Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

It makes no sense whatsoever. Love is an emotion, Waco, one of many. Do you believe that emotion can't exist outside of a relationship with God? Are Hindus and Muslims who reject Christianity unable to feel and experience the emotion of love? What evidence do you have that love comes from God - outside of scripture? Do you have any evidence in the natural world for the secular person to believe all love comes from God? And how does that work exactly if God isn't supernatural? How can he impart the emotion of love to humanity outside of some special power?

I know I won't get any answers to these questions. You will run and hide as usual, unable to defend your faith or beliefs or whatever you call them. Your whole set of beliefs makes absolutely no sense, and would be completely absurd to the secular person. There is no logic in them whatsoever.
BusyTarpDuster2017
To Waco47, none of it has to make any logical or biblical sense. It only has to do one thing for him - alleviate his internal angst about the question of why a loving God allows evil, pain, and suffering. His adopted belief system is a defense mechanism.

Waco47's struggle with theodicy is nothing new. It's a struggle as old as time. Some try to resolve it by concluding that God doesn't exist - that there is no being that is both all powerful and all love. Or that God is all-powerful, but He isn't love. Waco47 has decided to believe that God is indeed love - but He doesn't have the power. All these are merely defense mechanisms to protect the psyche from theodical angst.

Waco47 knows that the biblical and logical challenges to his belief system are extremely problematic, but acknowledging it would mean toppling the very thing he rests his comfort on, so either it's a non-starter for him and he doesn't answer, or he just layers another irrational thought on top of it, or he just repeats himself without actually addressing the question. Defense mechanisms often rely on denial, irrationality, and repetitive self-reinforcement.
LIB,MR BEARS
BusyTarpDuster2017 said:

To Waco47, none of it has to make any logical or biblical sense. It only has to do one thing for him - alleviate his internal angst about the question of why a loving God allows evil, pain, and suffering. His adopted belief system is a defense mechanism.

Waco47's struggle with theodicy is nothing new. It's a struggle as old as time. Some try to resolve it by concluding that God doesn't exist - that there is no being that is both all powerful and all love. Or that God is all-powerful, but He isn't love. Waco47 has decided to believe that God is indeed love - but He doesn't have the power. All these are merely defense mechanisms to protect the psyche from theodical angst.

Waco47 knows that the biblical and logical challenges to his belief system are extremely problematic, but acknowledging it would mean toppling the very thing he rests his comfort on, so either it's a non-starter for him and he doesn't answer, or he just layers another irrational thought on top of it, or he just repeats himself without actually addressing the question. Defense mechanisms often rely on denial, irrationality, and repetitive self-reinforcement.

^^^THIS is it^^^
BINGO
Winner winner chicken dinner
Yahtzee!
Score!

What am I missing?
JXL
Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

You're correct, the letters of John are crystal clear. It's just unfortunate that you don't believe them.
Sam Lowry
quash said:

ShooterTX said:

People will always worship something.

So what could they possible worship, if Christianity is on the decline? Hmmmm... i wonder what it will be...

LOL. Art is not life.

Satan isn't real either.

But a lot of snowflakes outed themselves over this.

Real or not, he has been a powerful symbol in so-called progressive art and politics from the time of the Romantics, to the mass socialist movements of the 20th century, and down to the present--typically with brutal results. Diabolical forces will do diabolical works, regardless of their origin.
BearlySpeaking
Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

He's talking about you.
curtpenn
Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

The "scientific age"? Really? Americans tend toward the stupid and are clearly devolving intellectually. Absent the influence of Christianity, what comes next will be beyond our worst imagining.
curtpenn
Waco1947 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

Typical load of crap from you. Are you sure you aren't an Episcopalian?
Waco1947
He Hate Me said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

And to describe God
You might note how I John talks of those who not love their enemies I John 4 My dear friends, we must love each other. Love comes from God, and when we love each other, it shows we have been given new life. We are now God's children, and we know him. 8 God is love, and anyone who doesn't love others has never known him.
Waco1947
curtpenn said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

Typical load of crap from you. So it appears you have no answer.
Here my premise: Take it apart. I anxious to know the weakness in my argument.
The scientific age does accommodate God because the love commandment is not scientific but exists and is provable.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Waco1947 said:

He Hate Me said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

And to describe God
You might note how I John talks of those who not love their enemies I John 4 My dear friends, we must love each other. Love comes from God, and when we love each other, it shows we have been given new life. We are now God's children, and we know him. 8 God is love, and anyone who doesn't love others has never known him.

What are the other attributes of God's character?
Waco1947
curtpenn said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

The "scientific age"? Really? Americans tend toward the stupid and are clearly devolving intellectually. Absent the influence of Christianity, what comes next will be beyond our worst imagining.
Whether "Americans tend toward stupid" is immaterial to this Fact: The scientific age is here and superstition is dead.
Argue against this premise.

I will admit that Americans tend toward believing in superstition but sciene says it is dead.
Wrecks Quan Dough
Waco1947 said:

curtpenn said:

Waco1947 said:

Mothra said:

Waco1947 said:

quash said:

So true

Whether "Americans tend toward stupid" is immaterial to this Fact: The scientific age is here and superstition is dead.
Argue against this premise.

I will admit that Americans tend toward believing in superstition but sciene says it is dead.

Two weeks to slow the spread

Wearing a mask saves lives

MRNA vaccines are safe and effective

The preacher must be posting from the pulpit this morning.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.