Football
Sponsored by

Supposedly Texas and OU have reached out to the SEC about joining

57,870 Views | 475 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by boognish_bear
Dia del DougO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sounds like a slow sports news week, with no real football for six weeks, baseball in midseason a long way from playoffs, NBA finals WGAF, even Olympics with no fans starting with sports that nobody watches. I guess it's prime time to throw stuff against the wall and see if it stick. You know...journalism. Realignment talk always seems to fit in that pattern somewhere.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Dia del DougO
I can kinda see why OU would think about leaving. They win conference titles year after year yet Texas continues to get more hype. Not quite aggy, but kinda aggy. They both seem about as well situated as they could be. Win the conference and be in playoff.
"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool."
Stefano DiMera
Mack has already known about this. Remember the statement he made this week about no matter what happens in realignment we will not waver in our mission statement.
Stefano DiMera
This has nothing to do with playoffs..chancellors and presidents care about money. Making the playoffs doesnt move the financial needle that much for UT or OU.
Robert Wilson
Interesting. May precipitate a move away from the ncaa.
Stefano DiMera
Are you Mulkey?
boognish_bear
Continuing to have the NCAA's ruling on our scandal hanging over our head is not a great resume builder right about now
PartyBear
Seriously what can they do now even if they hypothetically discovered a player was paid 10k? Nothing with how things have abruptly changed and these things are legal now.
boognish_bear
RegentCoverup
Two things are absolutely true now that this poorly veiled attempt at negotiation has been revealed.

1-Baylor leaders , along with the rest of the conference are breathing easy. And that's because they don't look like villains to their constituents right now.

2-Texas [UT] has officially run out of programs it can bribe for guaranteed wins. If they try to bully the SEC the way they did the BIg12, they will be shown the door. That they have been willing to concede on this should be the death knell of unequal payouts.

This is less a Big 12 revolt than it is the official retirement party of Bob Bowlsby..and that's a good thing..

This site leaks private information to Baylor Regents and Administration
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Go Bears!!!!! Beat those mighty Texas State Bobcats. LOL!!!
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Stefano DiMera
Im more worried about Texas Southern
boognish_bear
ABC BEAR
TellMeYouLoveMe said:

This is less a Big 12 revolt than it is the official retirement party of Bob Bowlsby..and that's a good thing..

I'll drink to that.
Media Bear
muddybrazos said:

Aggy, Mizzou and Ark would no vote. I bet there will be another school that likes to recruit Texas that could vote no.
Who dat? Geaux figure ...
Media Bear
ABC BEAR said:

TellMeYouLoveMe said:

I'll drink to that.
BylrFan
Dia del DougO said:

Sounds like a slow sports news week, with no real football for six weeks, baseball in midseason a long way from playoffs, NBA finals WGAF, even Olympics with no fans starting with sports that nobody watches. I guess it's prime time to throw stuff against the wall and see if it stick. You know...journalism. Realignment talk always seems to fit in that pattern somewhere.

An aggy beat writer wrote this and UT/SEC/OU have already came out with non-denials.

Aberzombie1892
boognish_bear said:

Where does Iowa St end up? B1G?

Likely not in a P4. The B1G has no need for it and it's geography is unattractive to the other power conferences.
boognish_bear
Aberzombie1892 said:

boognish_bear said:

Likely not in a P4. The B1G has no need for it and it's geography is unattractive to the other power conferences.

I would think that would end Matt Campbell's loyalty to the program
PartyBear
Who in the G5 would jump a P5 in a realignment? That list is not big. I see only BYU and Cincinnati as potential.

Neither the ACC nor SEC need Florida for example? Likewise no major conference that would need Colorado doesn't already have the state of Colorado. There isn't any attraction to having the little state of Tennessee, unless perhaps you are the SEC and you therefore have had that one locked up for 100 years.

On the other hand I can see all 3 of the other remaining P5s having an interest in getting into Texas and the geography fits (at least loosely) as well for all of them.

I think only perhaps only as many as 2 or 3 P5s would realistically be displaced in the creation of this mythical 4 16 team P5 conference.

Aberzombie1892
boognish_bear said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

boognish_bear said:

I would think that would end Matt Campbell's loyalty to the program

They likely wouldn't be able to continue to pay him his current salary without Big 12 money, so that is assured. That being said, he has earned a top tier job, so he was probably gone the next time a job like USC or Michigan opened up.
Aberzombie1892
PartyBear said:

Who in the G5 would jump a P5 in a realignment? That list is not big. I see only BYU and Cincinnati as potential.

Neither the ACC nor SEC need Florida for example? Likewise no major conference that would need Colorado doesn't already have the state of Colorado. There isn't any attraction to having the little state of Tennessee, unless perhaps you are the SEC and you therefore have had that one locked up for 100 years.

On the other hand I can see all 3 of the other remaining P5s having an interest in getting into Texas and the geography fits (at least loosely) as well for all of them.

I think only perhaps only as many as 2 P5s would realistically be displaced in the creation of this mythical 4 16 team P5 conference.

There is interest in Texas, but only if the value is there as no conference wants to expand and take a pay cut for existing teams. Texas and Texas A&M will be fine, but, after that, it will be questionable - the SEC and B1G are the only P5s that can raid other P5s, so all eyes will be on the B1G to see if it targets the ACC or Missouri (which previously preferred the B1G to SEC) before seeing if there will be homes for other Texas schools. At a high level, Tech seems most likely to lend somewhere, possibly the PAC.
boognish_bear
boognish_bear
PartyBear
Aberzombie1892 said:

PartyBear said:

I think only perhaps only as many as 2 P5s would realistically be displaced in the creation of this mythical 4 16 team P5 conference.

There is interest in Texas, but only if the value is there as no conference wants to expand and take a pay cut for existing teams. Texas and Texas A&M will be fine, but, after that, it will be questionable - the SEC and B1G are the only P5s that can raid other P5s, so all eyes will be on the B1G to see if it targets the ACC or Missouri (which previously preferred the B1G to SEC) before seeing if there will be homes for other Texas schools. At a high level, Tech seems most likely to lend somewhere, possibly the PAC.

I don't see what is so great about Tech. If you are the PAC and you want into Texas, going with sparsely populated West Texas doesn't appear to be the most attractive move in the state even if it is a closer geographically than the others.

If the BiG raids the SEC and ACC that is really going to unsettle things. That opens a new spot in the SEC, which I think would be good news for Tech or OSU and could open an additional spot in the ACC.
PartyBear
I'm guessing OSU is the most blindsided of everyone in the XII. I think they always assumed they and OU were a packaged deal due to the politics within the state.
Robert Wilson
PartyBear said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

PartyBear said:

I don't see what is so great about Tech. If you are the PAC and you want into Texas, going with sparsely populated West Texas doesn't appear to be the most attractive move in the state even if it is a closer geographically than the others.

They'd rather have a larger state school and know they're clear of all religious affiliation.
Russell Gym
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/texas-and-oklahomas-inevitable-big-12-departure-will-linger-even-if-sec-move-isnt-swift/
Aberzombie1892
Robert Wilson said:

PartyBear said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

PartyBear said:

They'd rather have a larger state school and know they're clear of all religious affiliation.
There are several variables, but those are among them. In top tier college football, large state schools generally dominate due to higher enrollments, higher living alumni numbers, state government and state wide citizen support, higher ticket and merchandise sales, higher viewership/attendance, and lack of religious affiliation. All of those factors generally push Tech to the #3 slot in the state of Texas. As Robert mentioned, that final item - the lack of religious affiliation - is huge for the PAC and that will keep Baylor, TCU, SMU, BYU and similar schools out of the PAC. That's significant, because those teams aren't getting invites to the SEC or B1G, and so that just leaves the ACC, which is quite a distance away.

All of this ignores Houston, which actually spoke with the PAC 12 a few years ago about joining even though it was not a good fit at that time. Maybe Tech and Houston to PAC? It's not pretty, but, given the variables at play, it wouldn't be the worst thing ever for that conference.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/7/18/12218248/houston-pac-12-big-12-conference-realignment-rumors
DanaDane
It's ironic that the media has continued to write the tombstone of the Pac 12 over the past 4 years, indicating how much financial issues and underpromises of revenue streams from the Pac 12 Network caused, yet not once did you see or hear USC or UCLA yammering the way OU and UT have in the Big 12.

fadskier
boognish_bear said:

Yuck

No, instead of Tulsa, colo St, and ndsutake Memphis, UCF and East Carolina and/or Cincy
muddybrazos
Aberzombie1892 said:

Robert Wilson said:

PartyBear said:

Aberzombie1892 said:

PartyBear said:

There are several variables, but those are among them. In top tier college football, large state schools generally dominate due to higher enrollments, higher living alumni numbers, state government and state wide citizen support, higher ticket and merchandise sales, higher viewership/attendance, and lack of religious affiliation. All of those factors generally push Tech to the #3 slot in the state of Texas. As Robert mentioned, that final item - the lack of religious affiliation - is huge for the PAC and that will keep Baylor, TCU, SMU, BYU and similar schools out of the PAC. That's significant, because those teams aren't getting invites to the SEC or B1G, and so that just leaves the ACC, which is quite a distance away.

All of this ignores Houston, which actually spoke with the PAC 12 a few years ago about joining even though it was not a good fit at that time. Maybe Tech and Houston to PAC? It's not pretty, but, given the variables at play, it wouldn't be the worst thing ever for that conference.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/7/18/12218248/houston-pac-12-big-12-conference-realignment-rumors
The ACC is not far away compared to the PAC 12. Cali, Oregon and Wash are much farther away than Florida, NC, SC, Georgia etc.
PartyBear
I think y'all believe religion is some huge factor for everyone because it is for you. This is business. Texas for example doesn't care if it's HC is Mormon and neither did UW. Cal and now USC don't care about the religious up bringing in Texas of Dykes and Helton.

It's about money. Baylor has changed quite a bit as well since 11 years ago. 11 years ago we were just coming out of the trauma of Sloan's 10 year attempt to turn Baylor into another Liberty. Yes that type of place is unattractive. And our reputation had been damaged at that point. Now Baylor is a large private school more like SMU and TCU but about the size of most flagship and land grant state schools around the country. Making it a private school more like USC and Miami that has built up a good athletic brand over the past 10 years as well. It isn't unattractive. Also perhaps our conservative BOR had wind of some of this and hence why they voted to allow homosexual clubs are allowed on campus now. That said I'm not claiming Baylor is the hottest brand out there and will bring a lot of eyes from Texas with it. I do think we could be a decent candidate for P5s.

BearFan33
Hopefully, by now, Mack has a good relationship with all ACC leadership. We knew this day would come.
Shakesbear
Retreat Hell! We just got here! The 2/5

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.