Waco Development

70,525 Views | 827 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wichitabear
WILLIS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wichitabear said:

Poppa Rollo is still there? Loved eating there when in college.

Still there. Hasn't been cleaned since either.
Ludwig von Missi
Poppa Rollos sucks. Sometimes the truth hurts.

#TeamShortys
Kingdom Bear
Crash Davis said:

#TeamShortys

<<insert a "you shut your ***** mouth" gif here>>
The Kingdoms of this world have become the Kingdoms of our God and of His Christ. ~Revelation 11:15. Stand. Repent. Build.
tcbear
I love the hamburger pizza at Poppa Rollos. Ate there two weeks ago.
BaylorGuy314
I don't understand the hate. Rollos and Shortys are both fantastic. Waco is big enough for two good pizza joints.

I dont eat at the old rollos. The new one in hewitt is better.
Bear-0-Daktyl
I can't believe I just read a bucket list that involved Luby's and hamburger pizza.
BearForce
Showtime said:

Quote:

my last 3 meals on earth will be:

Kitok's double liplocker with cheese, oriental fries and a cherry coke

Luby's fried fish, extra tartar sauce, fried okra, and a double portion of macaroni and cheese

Poppa Rollos hamburger pizza with a side of jalapenos and ranch dressing to dip it in.

Then I will be prepared to meet my Maker.

We should be friends.

Allen Samuels?
Ludwig von Missi
BaylorGuy314 said:

I don't understand the hate. Rollos and Shortys are both fantastic. Waco is big enough for two good pizza joints.

Waco is definitely big enough for two good pizza joints. That is why we have Moroso's in addition to Shorty's.

The main issue with Rollo's is their pizza is garbage. Outside of that I kind of like it.
HalibutRetro
Crash Davis said:

#TeamShortys
Oooo, I was with you until the hashtag. Shorty's probably has the worst pizza in town IMO. Undercooked and bland. It competes with Peter Piper for quality.

Moroso's is pretty good though the crust can be soggy at times.

I am going to try out the new Slow Rise Slice House in Hewitt. Hearing good things.

But, gosh, Poppa Rollo's and Shorty's are at the bottom of the barrel.
BaylorBJM
baylrballa said:

yes please.
This looks truly awful.
WILLIS
http://www.wacotrib.com/news/city_of_waco/land-cleared-as-cotton-belt-bridge-redevelopment-plans-progress/article_8606a42f-7ab3-5133-86e4-b06a879d74cc.html
Brickhouse
HalibutRetro said:

Crash Davis said:

#TeamShortys
Oooo, I was with you until the hashtag. Shorty's probably has the worst pizza in town IMO. Undercooked and bland. It competes with Peter Piper for quality.

I am going to try out the new Slow Rise Slice House in Hewitt. Hearing good things.

Shorty's improves greatly if you ask for it well done. I grew up on Poppa Rollo's and will always be loyal to it
baylrballa
HalibutRetro said:

Crash Davis said:

#TeamShortys

Slow rise has been really good for what it is. And the beer selection is great for this side of town.
Wichitabear
This is great. Thank you for posting this. I am looking forward to eventually seeing this succeed.
Bear Doc
BaylorGuy314 said:

Amazing how cleaning the restaurant on a regular basis makes people think that the food is better!

The one thing about Rollo's is the salt content though (dough, sauce, meats etc)... You eat 2-3 slices of pepperoni and a 5 gallon bucket of water is not enough to wash it down!
forza orsi
HalibutRetro said:

Crash Davis said:

#TeamShortys

You're getting soggy crust at Moroso's? I've probably been 15+ times and never noticed an issue with that at all. The wood fired oven should make it crispier. Sometimes with wood fired pizza a whole bunch of vegetable toppings can produce a lot of fluid. That's not a problem with how they're cooking the pizza though. That's an issue of what toppings are on it. If you normally get one with a bunch of toppings you might try one with less.
HalibutRetro
forza orsi said:

HalibutRetro said:

Crash Davis said:

#TeamShortys

You're getting soggy crust at Moroso's? I've probably been 15+ times and never noticed an issue with that at all. The wood fired oven should make it crispier. Sometimes with wood fired pizza a whole bunch of vegetable toppings can produce a lot of fluid. That's not a problem with how they're cooking the pizza though. That's an issue of what toppings are on it. If you normally get one with a bunch of toppings you might try one with less.
Granted, I haven't been in a couple of months. I may have just had a couple of misfires early on when they opened. Most of the time it hasn't been an issue. Those times it was "soggy" it was, as you mentioned, because of the juicy toppings and it just sat a little too long.

I am due for another visit. LOVE their pizza. Don't want to make it sound like I'm not a fan. I definitely am! The Vesuvio is probably the best pizza I've ever had.
trey3216
HalibutRetro said:

forza orsi said:

HalibutRetro said:

Crash Davis said:

#TeamShortys

Granted, I haven't been in a couple of months. I may have just had a couple of misfires early on when they opened. Most of the time it hasn't been an issue. Those times it was "soggy" it was, as you mentioned, because of the juicy toppings and it just sat a little too long.

I am due for another visit. LOVE their pizza. Don't want to make it sound like I'm not a fan. I definitely am! The Vesuvio is probably the best pizza I've ever had.
Love the Vesuvio
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
baylrballa
Morosos is literally what made my wife ok to move back to waco. It's really really good. I did have one different pizza recently that was soggy, but it was obviously the toppings.

Honey bear is bae.
Ludwig von Missi
HalibutRetro said:

Crash Davis said:

#TeamShortys

You aren't the only one that doesn't like Shorty's. My wife isn't crazy about it either.

I think it is great. And even though it is a chain, I think Old Chicago is pretty good too.
trey3216
Crash Davis said:

HalibutRetro said:

Crash Davis said:

#TeamShortys

You aren't the only one that doesn't like Shorty's. My wife isn't crazy about it either.

I think it is great. And even though it is a chain, I think Old Chicago is pretty good too.
It's no Chili's
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
DioNoZeus
trey3216 said:

Crash Davis said:

HalibutRetro said:

Crash Davis said:

#TeamShortys

It's no Chili's

bankerbear
Slow Rise is not in Hewitt. It is in Woodway. Locals know that distinction well.
HalibutRetro
bankerbear said:

Slow Rise is not in Hewitt. It is in Woodway. Locals know that distinction well.
Ah, sorry.
Edmond Bear
trey3216 said:

Crash Davis said:

HalibutRetro said:

Crash Davis said:

#TeamShortys

It's no Chili's

Just don't ever look at the sodium content of Chili's. It would blow your mind.
DioNoZeus
Edmond Bear said:

trey3216 said:

Crash Davis said:

HalibutRetro said:

Crash Davis said:

#TeamShortys

It's no Chili's

Just don't ever look at the menu at Chili's. It would blow your mind that people would eat there.

FIFY
baylrballa
Edmond Bear said:

trey3216 said:

Crash Davis said:

HalibutRetro said:

Crash Davis said:

#TeamShortys

It's no Chili's

Just don't ever look at the sodium content of Chili's. It would blow your mind.

RIP awesome blossom.

forza orsi
sipembeers said:

Check out Milo All Day on franklin. The menu rotates to what available that is fresh. Great place with a great drink menu.
Went tonight for dinner. Had lunch there a couple of weeks ago and it was really good, but tonight was outstanding. I had a whole trout garnished with lemon, arugula, squash and tomatoes. Really, really good. My wife had a beef teres major with carrots, fingerling potatoes, greens and pistachio nuts. Also really nice. Bar is really well stocked, wine list is decent. I definitely recommend. I think they had to make some accommodations to allow us in there - we were neither young enough nor cool enough to be there on a Friday night.
Sampi82
Grinnin bear said:

Brian Ethridge said:

WILLIS said:

Will pass on y'alls steak and shake, Mooyah, etc BS

Liplocker
my last 3 meals on earth will be:

Kitok's double liplocker with cheese, oriental fries and a cherry coke

Luby's fried fish, extra tartar sauce, fried okra, and a double portion of macaroni and cheese

Poppa Rollos hamburger pizza with a side of jalapenos and ranch dressing to dip it in.

Then I will be prepared to meet my Maker.

I worked part time in HS at a Luby's down in Victoria and the soon to be fried fish was delivered in a big frozen block that was cut in to those little fish rectangles with a band saw. Hopefully it was a food grade band saw and not purchased used from the wood shop at the old/former Victoria High.
twowinns
I still eat at Poppa Rollos, as I'm driving through town on my way to Austin. You're right about the lack of cleaning, but I still love the pizza.

I wish I could go back in time, when Leslie's Chicken Shack was still open. I loved that place.
Grinnin bear
Did you ever throw any rolls over the sign at Leslie's Chicken?

I cleared it on the first throw...
- Sometimes you just gotta grin and bear it.
twowinns
Grinnin bear said:

Did you ever throw any rolls over the sign at Leslie's Chicken?

I cleared it on the first throw...
No. I didn't know about that tradition. I ate all the rolls I could get my hands on, and wouldn't have wanted to throw one away. :-)
Wichitabear
Me I liked eating in that Burger Shack right across the street from Allen Dormitory. Early 70s. Yeah I'm old
Yogi
Poppa Rollo's is literally **** on a shingle...
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Shamgar
Smokehouse. #2 with chili.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.