Waco Development

69,415 Views | 827 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wichitabear
Ludwig von Missi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone tried Frekin Gd BBQ in Bellmead?

EDIT: that is supposed to read Frekin Gud BBQ with an umlaut over the u.
beerman
Heard yesterday that Magnolia et al has a contract on the old J-Hawk building on Hwy 6 and Industrial.....don't know what the plans are or if it will get to close but interesting.
sipembeers
Heard that they were moving corporate headquarters. Could be this building.

I'm sure those car dealerships are happy about their impending property value increases.
beerman
They have their shipping and commercial kitchens in odd places, maybe that's correct. I am guessing by the acquisition they are planning on getting things ramped up again with the TV medium.....I have always suspected she would want her own network.

Maybe they are planning to open another restaurant for lunch-only that doesn't serve alcohol and offers chicken salad finger-sandwiches with the crust cut off, for $23.95.....
Bahamabear
no kidding...

i'm guessing that restaurant is doing okay, but you will never catch me in there, holy smokes that isn't for the Waco crowd...that is for tourists only.
beerman
Without a doubt......lines out the door, people getting skin cancer waiting on a $24 omelet
1outawayBear
my wife kept begging me to go and i kept refusing. She finally went before work with some of her teacher friends. She loved it (said the pancakes and bacon were great) but I refuse to step in the place that took over elite and took away the booze..
Ludwig von Missi
They completely emasculated The Elite. Sad times.
Bahamabear
Crash Davis said:

Indeed, went to the Elite after my first visit to Baylor with my Waco born and raised mom.

My wife wanted me to take her on our next visit to waco to see my mom, i showed her the menu and she said...oh, never mind.
Ludwig von Missi
Bahamabear said:

Crash Davis said:

Indeed, went to the Elite after my first visit to Baylor with my Waco born and raised mom.

My wife wanted me to take her on our next visit to waco to see my mom, i showed her the menu and she said...oh, never mind.

They had a killer happy hour when I was in school. I can't remember what the specials were, but I'd go in there and order a bunch of appetizers and margarita after margarita and my tab was always like 8 bucks.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Crash Davis said:

Bahamabear said:

Crash Davis said:

They had a killer happy hour when I was in school. I can't remember what the specials were, but I'd go in there and order a bunch of appetizers and margarita after margarita and my tab was always like 8 bucks.
It was even better if you knew the managers and waiters... When Sammy bought George's by selling his portion of The Elite, those managers went with him.
Bahamabear
Brian Ethridge said:

Crash Davis said:

Bahamabear said:

Crash Davis said:

It was even better if you knew the managers and waiters... When Sammy bought George's by selling his portion of The Elite, those managers went with him.
remember going into Scruff's, i gave them a blank check to stick on the wall...got sloshed all weekend and closed it out on sunday afternoon for $20.
UBBY
Has anybody heard any news on the Heritage Square project?
Bear-0-Daktyl
This thread is awesome. I get thrown off when someone actually brings up real estate.
BearlyHeardFrom
I bartended at the Hilton with people that split time at George's, Scruffs and Ch 11. I pretty much always drank free. Which, as most likely an alcoholic at the time, was helpful.
#LetsGoBrandon
Yogi
COMING SOON...

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Bear-0-Daktyl
I'm not better than a Steak N Shake Frisco Melt, and their fries are pretty awesome. Skinny cut = more crunchy surface area per volume of potato. Its science. You could argue it, but you'd be wrong.
HalibutRetro
Yogi said:

COMING SOON...

In the SUB no less.
Edmond Bear
HalibutRetro said:

Yogi said:

COMING SOON...

In the SUB no less.

It's replacing Mooyah. That's a step backward.
GhettoHEBear
My wife also went to Magnolia table without me. She really liked it.

It's a bummer that the bar is gone, but the food is no loss. The Elite hadn't been good in decades.
Baylor Mafioso
Ludwig von Missi
GhettoHEBear said:

It's a bummer that the bar is gone, but the food is no loss. The Elite hadn't been good in decades.
How dare you. French toast casserole off the breakfast buffet and the build your own bloody mary bar were like heaven in my mouth.
GhettoHEBear
Crash Davis said:

GhettoHEBear said:

How dare you. French toast casserole off the breakfast buffet and the build your own bloody mary bar were like heaven in my mouth.
As a dude, I wouldn't admit to eating casserole
Baylor Mafioso
Ludwig von Missi
GhettoHEBear said:

Crash Davis said:

GhettoHEBear said:

I'm pretty comfortable admitting the Elite's French toast casserole was the **** . No shame whatsoever.
GhettoHEBear
Crash Davis said:

GhettoHEBear said:

Crash Davis said:

GhettoHEBear said:

I'm pretty comfortable admitting the Elite's French toast casserole was the **** . No shame whatsoever.
It's your truth?

I can support that
Baylor Mafioso
Ludwig von Missi
GhettoHEBear said:

Crash Davis said:

GhettoHEBear said:

Crash Davis said:

GhettoHEBear said:

It's your truth?

I can support that
Honestly didn't even know eating casserole was viewed as an umanly activity. I usually try to avoid them because they suck, but if I find one that taste good? Sign me up.
DioNoZeus
Crash Davis said:

GhettoHEBear said:

Crash Davis said:

GhettoHEBear said:

Crash Davis said:

GhettoHEBear said:

It's your truth?

I can support that
Honestly didn't even know eating casserole was viewed as an umanly activity. I usually try to avoid them because they suck, but if I find one that taste good? Sign me up.
It's not. Quiche, maybe. But not casserole. Half the men in this state would be considered unmanly the way king chicken casserole is eaten around here.
Bahamabear
I'd eat the **** out some casserole
Tenacious D
Has there been any development on LaSalle?

Friend of mine, up here in Chicago, took his daughter down to Texas to visit Baylor, A&M, UT, SMU, and TCU last month. Unfortunately they got down to the BU and made some wrong turns which lead them down to LaSalle and then down some side streets from there and his daughter did NOT like what she saw (apparently they saw some shady stuff going down) and it creeped her out.

I know what LaSalle was like back in the 90s (I remember a BU student went into the strip joint down there and came out in a stretcher and spent several days in the hospital).

Anyway, she crossed off BU and fell in love with TCU. At least it only took 10 minutes of Aggie propaganda to immediately turn her off when she visited down there. She doesn't own a BMW so SMU was out too as it was very apparent to the family the standards of SMU.
A Grateful Bear
What, no Austin review?
Ben Sims, TE, #8, Senior from San Antonio TX
30 catches for 241 yds, 2 TDs
1 rush for 1 yd, 1 TD
1 unassisted tackle
(Adopt-a-Bear 2022)

Javon Gipson, WR, #19, RFr from Richmond TX
2 catches for 22 yds
I committed to Baylor as a student first, athlete second.
(Adopt-a-Bear 2022 / 2021)
Tenacious D
A Grateful Bear said:

What, no Austin review?
Of course she fell in love with UT and Austin...apparently there is an area on campus that was like some Disney resort with pools and stuff that blew them away. Then they made their way up to TCU.

Malbec
Tenacious D said:

A Grateful Bear said:

What, no Austin review?
Of course she fell in love with UT and Austin...apparently there is an area on campus that was like some Disney resort with pools and stuff that blew them away. Then they made their way up to TCU.

Is she looking for a college or a theme park?
Grinnin bear
Malbec said:

Tenacious D said:

A Grateful Bear said:

What, no Austin review?

These days, there isn't much difference. Majors, libraries, internships, job placement, etc are secondary if not tertiary for most kids' processes.
- Sometimes you just gotta grin and bear it.
Grinnin bear
Nm
- Sometimes you just gotta grin and bear it.
Tenacious D
Malbec said:

Tenacious D said:

A Grateful Bear said:

What, no Austin review?

LOL...she is going into her junior year of high school so she is a essentially a child.

Her parents send she and her sister to an really expensive Catholic schools (Benet Academy) so safety, aesthetics, and whatever else little girls care about. Notre Dame is the first choice for both daughters but they cannot get in academically.

Sadly it rained the day they came to BU and so they had a shuttle take them around the campus so they didn't have a chance to walk around like they should. They liked BU and everything about it...just didn't have a chance to experience it the way I wished they could.

Had my friend over last night to hang and he talked about the whole 2 week trip through Texas. Regarding the Aggie experience, I laughed when he told me that they all got freaked out with the propaganda, freaking out the kids and parents......told them that with the cult, its either all in or out. That is always good to hear.

TCU is smaller, surrounding were more exciting for this kid. Guess there is an endowment at TCU that requires the change over of flowers throughout the whole campus every two weeks, until the money runs out which who knows when that may be so the mom was impressed. Whatever. Another thing he told me about TCU is that the library no longer has books...nothing...no books, periodicals, nothing...its all warehoused offcampus now to be delivered on request for next day. Library is now fully dedicated to "student space" and more room for the students to come and study. So the library portion of the tour impressed them all as well.

Finally, my friend's brother lives in FW so they have known about TCU the longest and are biased as my friend has been talking it up for a while as he will move down the complex after last high school graduation anyway.

Malbec
I was just teasin' a little you know.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.