Waco Development

70,375 Views | 827 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wichitabear
BaylorHistory
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I really wish Alamo would look into Waco. I'm guessing the new and improved Hippodrome covers their full service dining style, but the hippodrome doesn't show anything but blockbusters. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Main Event or Dave & Busters type place either.

What Waco really needs is a rock climbing gym, but I guess that's too niche for Waco (though Killeen does have one).
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
BearlyHeardFrom
There's one in Hico but that's probably just as far.
#LetsGoBrandon
CammoTX
BearlyHeardFrom said:

There's one in Hico but that's probably just as far.
Hico also has a gourmet chocolate shop.
UBBY
https://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/cinemark-confirms-plans-to-build--screen-theater-in-waco/article_9b89bde8-647f-5fe6-8249-f13e87a04217.html?block_id=1367094

The Cinemark movie theater chain has confirmed it plans to place a 14-screen complex near Interstate 35 and West Loop 340 that will feature reserved seating in all auditoriums, luxury loungers with footrests and a lobby lounge with drink options to include alcohol.

The venue, planned for completion in spring next year, would anchor a 143-acre mixed-use development off I-35 between New Road and West Loop 340, near Central Texas Marketplace, according to a Cinemark press release. Plans for the development by NewQuest Properties, known as Cottonwood Creek Market, include more than 285,000 square feet of retail, restaurant and residential components, according to the press release.

Plano-based Cinemark's recliners are "electric-powered, plush and oversize" and equipped with footrests and cup holders," according to the press release.

He said the Baylor Scott & White Hillcrest Medical Center, at State Highway 6 and Interstate 35, the 45,000-seat McLane Stadium at Lake Brazos and I-35, and continued growth in the Hewitt-Woodway corridor have shifted the epicenter of local development from Waco and Valley Mills drives westward.

Unlike other communities, Waco has lagged in seeing major retail development cluster along Interstate 35, Farrar said. That trend is turning, and the interstate through town is not viewed as the "armpit" it once was, he said.
Yogi
New Embassy Suites on the way.

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/tif-board-oks-million-for-embassy-suites-including-million-not/article_6bb21b20-9b0e-5cc7-9a9a-dde5bab62bab.html

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Yogi
Updated info on Waco Promenade project.

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Waco--Wacoans-weigh-in-on-hip-vision-for-riverfront-development-505818781.html
WILLIS
Hell ya
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Looks good- I noticed the potbelly closed down? Always busy when I went there. Any insight?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Ashley Hodge said:

Looks good- I noticed the potbelly closed down? Always busy when I went there. Any insight?
I know you're a fan, but I haven't had many good experiences at any of the three I've tried.
Yogi
Ashley Hodge said:

The Killeen location closed as well.

But, I believe that the Temple and College Station locations are still surviving...
Ashley Hodge
Staff
Brian Ethridge said:

Ashley Hodge said:

I know you're a fan, but I haven't had many good experiences at any of the three I've tried.
It is a nicer subway really. Chipotle and Potbelly are missing the boat by not having drive throughs. Would double their business overnight.
PTGHUNTER
My daughter was mad the Waco Potbelly closed. She said me a text when they tried to go Sunday.

Subway is in last place to good sandwich options.

Yogi
Ashley Hodge said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Ashley Hodge said:

It is a nicer subway really. Chipotle and Potbelly are missing the boat by not having drive throughs. Would double their business overnight.
Oddly enough, the Killeen location had a drive-thru and it closed, as well. I am not sure if it's just marketing or what. The place was definitely a good sandwich shop.

The problem with Central Texas is that if you don't remind people that you're there, your business is going to fall off. The competition for the restaurant dollar is stiff.

The Temple location has a drive-thru, but the only reason it remains open is because it is barely a year old. It also is directly across the street from Scott & White, so it gets quite a bit of lunch traffic just because of convenience. The new hasn't worn off just yet.

I think the Waco Potbelly would have survived if (1) it had a drive-thru and (2) it was located in and around the Central Texas Marketplace.

That interchange between IH-35 and Valley Mills Drive can be a bit frustrating- even for locals.
Ron Swanson
I drive past the Potbelly in Temple everyday. I would be surprised if it lasts. There hardly ever seems to be anyone in there. They do have a drive-thru, so maybe that is responsible for a lot of their business. The Freddy's already closed, I'm not sure it was even open a whole year.
BaylorGuy314
I really enjoyed Potbelly. I went about once a month or so. I think the location was not very good, personally. It wasn't close enough to be a go-to for college students and was too far from the higher income areas (Woodway/Hewitt/etc) for a quick lunch stop during the day.
CammoTX
cookies at Potbelly are awesome. The mini chocolate chip oatmeal cookies and the big sugar cookies are some of the best you can buy at a sandwich shop.
BBear77
While I have never been to Potbelly (was not sure what kind of food establishment it was) most food locations are within 20 minutes max from where I live and 10 minutes max from where I office. Location was not easily accessible but certainly would be once you visited it. Nobody seems to be missing Chili's and Zoe's Kitchen which are in the same general location.
Yogi
Ron Swanson said:

I drive past the Potbelly in Temple everyday. I would be surprised if it lasts. There hardly ever seems to be anyone in there. They do have a drive-thru, so maybe that is responsible for a lot of their business. The Freddy's already closed, I'm not sure it was even open a whole year.
Wow. That's a surprise. Is Zaxby's still breathing?

Looks like I need to get a Bell County Bears lunch or dinner together.
Yogi
BaylorGuy314 said:

I really enjoyed Potbelly. I went about once a month or so. I think the location was not very good, personally. It wasn't close enough to be a go-to for college students and was too far from the higher income areas (Woodway/Hewitt/etc) for a quick lunch stop during the day.
Good point. I would be curious to see how Potbelly would fare near the intersection of Chapel, Industrial and Hewitt Drive.

I don't know what their overhead is like, but my only concern is that you had a location next to the closest Starbuck's to Baylor and it couldn't sail.

Is Bubba's still open?
WILLIS
When you can get the jimmy johns on speight and 16th delivered for a buck extra... who is driving to a non drive thru pot belly to eat. I love potbelly btw. Hot peppers and chocolate malts.
BCL79
Does anyone know what is on the upper most floor of the Alico building? I've had a crazy idea the past few years about a possible use. Just curious .
IASIP Rocks
BCL79 said:

Does anyone know what is on the upper most floor of the Alico building? I've had a crazy idea the past few years about a possible use. Just curious .

It was Fulbright Winniford's offices (a local law firm), but I'm pretty sure they just disbanded. I could ask a friend of mine who work(s)(ed) there.
BCL79
IASIP Rocks said:

BCL79 said:

It was Fulbright Winniford's offices (a local law firm), but I'm pretty sure they just disbanded. I could ask a friend of mine who work(s)(ed) there.
if you get a chance, sure. Thanks!
Ludwig von Missi
BCL79 said:

Own a night club, call it Eclipse. Only open 2 times a year. Cover charge? $5,000.
IASIP Rocks
Crash Davis said:

BCL79 said:

Own a night club, call it Eclipse. Only open 2 times a year. Cover charge? $5,000.

All you need is 10 customers each night and you can live pretty comfortably in Waco. Brilliant
boxster
BaylorGuy314 said:

I love Potbelly's, but always thought it was a buck or two too expensive. Until I downloaded their App. Pretty good deals. Haven't paid full price for their tasty sandwiches and salads in quite a while now.

What he wants people to know about Baylor football: I want people to see that Baylor is the class of college football. Record GPAs, 26 different majors, guys challenging themselves to be the best they can be. Guys working in the community and guys working to be the best they can be in football. Want people to know Baylor is a great place as a University. -Coach Matt Rhule
UBBY
https://www.wacotrib.com/news/city_of_waco/waco-city-council-approves-incentives-for-family-entertainment-center/article_548c331b-b797-521e-953e-58bf530f3e73.html

The Waco City Council approved a $5 million incentive package Tuesday intended to help bring new movie screens, a 16-lane bowling center and more family activities at the intersection of Interstate 35 and Loop 340.

Assistant City Manager Bradley Ford said he believes the family entertainment center, which will include an arcade, virtual reality center and laser tag, will be "a regional draw in Central Texas."

The initial development on 32 acres would also be the first phase of work on a 352-acre site.

To qualify for the incentives, developers must complete design and construction of the first venue, complete the family fun center within two years, complete surrounding public improvements within two years, achieve a Planned Unit Development within eight months and enter into a Master Development Agreement for the 320 acres not part of the initial project.

Construction is slated to start this summer.
Yogi
UBBY said:

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/city_of_waco/waco-city-council-approves-incentives-for-family-entertainment-center/article_548c331b-b797-521e-953e-58bf530f3e73.html

The Waco City Council approved a $5 million incentive package Tuesday intended to help bring new movie screens, a 16-lane bowling center and more family activities at the intersection of Interstate 35 and Loop 340.

Assistant City Manager Bradley Ford said he believes the family entertainment center, which will include an arcade, virtual reality center and laser tag, will be "a regional draw in Central Texas."

The initial development on 32 acres would also be the first phase of work on a 352-acre site.

To qualify for the incentives, developers must complete design and construction of the first venue, complete the family fun center within two years, complete surrounding public improvements within two years, achieve a Planned Unit Development within eight months and enter into a Master Development Agreement for the 320 acres not part of the initial project.

baylrballa
Yogi said:

UBBY said:

does main event do movie theaters now too?
UBBY
https://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/developers-planning-movie-theater-bowling-alley-seeking-city-incentives/article_20572dbf-9bee-5f86-be8a-773cdd5f1372.html

Waco could see 22 new movie screens, a 16-lane upscale bowling center and an array of high-tech amusements arising on both sides of Interstate 35 near Loop 340 if two projects in the planning stage come to fruition.

The Waco City Council will consider a $5 million incentive package Tuesday requested by a group envisioning a first-run movie theater with at least eight screens and reclining theater seating, a high-tech bowling center and interactive amusements "such as arcade, virtual reality, laser tag or similar activities," the city's economic development office reported.

"This is just phase one of a 352-acre development that would stretch along interstate frontage to that hard corner at I-35 and Loop 340," Cromwell said. "This is the gateway for that whole big tract. The buyers, whom I can't name at this time, have a vision, a master plan. We will have to let the market dictate exactly how it plays out. Things could change. It could all be retail, or it could be mixed use. We just don't know.

"The goal, if everything works out as planned, is to have the entertainment phase open before summer of next year."

Cromwell in recent interviews with the Tribune-Herald has been complimentary of the site Cinemark has chosen, but has reserved judgment on its long-term viability. Asked Saturday if the Greater Waco market can absorb 22 new movie screens, Cromwell said, "I don't want to get into anything like that. A lot of good things are going on. That's all I can say."
BaylorHistory
No way Waco could handle AMC, Regal, Hippodrome, Cinemark, + Unnamed theater.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
UBBY
This post above was from 3 days (2-16-19) before they approved the tax incentive based plan.

I hope they do go through with the new movie theaters in both venues. Hollywood Theaters (Regal Cinema) has not made any significant improvements that I can see since it opened in the 1990's. If this doesn't force them to step up their game then I could see them eventually getting shut down.

The Galaxy 16 Theater (AMC Cinema) has stepped up their game. They have added a bar area. They have added new food options. They have converted one of their theaters into the only IMAX theater in town.
baylrballa
UBBY said:

This post above was from 3 days (2-16-19) before they approved the tax incentive based plan.

I hope they do go through with the new movie theaters in both venues. Hollywood Theaters (Regal Cinema) has not made any significant improvements that I can see since it opened in the 1990's. If this doesn't force them to step up their game then I could see them eventually getting shut down.

The Galaxy 16 Theater (AMC Cinema) has stepped up their game. They have added a bar area. They have added new food options. They have converted one of their theaters into the only IMAX theater in town.

Hollywood should shutter. That place is terrible.

I definitely prefer hippodrome since their upgrades, but its far from perfect.
boxster
I think I agree with this Lariat editorial:

https://baylorlariat.com/2019/02/14/students-need-late-night-spots/

What he wants people to know about Baylor football: I want people to see that Baylor is the class of college football. Record GPAs, 26 different majors, guys challenging themselves to be the best they can be. Guys working in the community and guys working to be the best they can be in football. Want people to know Baylor is a great place as a University. -Coach Matt Rhule
Volunteer
boxster said:

I think I agree with this Lariat editorial:

https://baylorlariat.com/2019/02/14/students-need-late-night-spots/

I agree that a place like one described in the article would be a nice addition. The problem is operating a place where students sit around and visit for hours at a time without buying anything (or maybe just a $4 cup of coffee) is a money losing proposition.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.