Waco Development

69,436 Views | 827 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wichitabear
UBBY
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://www.wacotrib.com/news/city_of_waco/loop-project-bumped-up-on-priority-list/article_085ce0bd-3ae4-5709-8bf1-b112dfb50f76.html

The Waco Metropolitan Planning Organization board voiced agreement with plans by the Texas Department of Transportation Thursday to move a proposed $38.5 million overhaul of State Highway 6 to the top of its priority list.
The "mall-to-mall" project, set to begin construction in 2020, would add continuous frontage roads to the stretch of Loop 340/Highway 6 from Bagby Avenue to Highway 84, and add four new frontage road bridges over railroad tracks. The project got its nickname because it covers the stretch of Loop 340/Highway 6 between Richland Mall and Central Texas Marketplace.
Local transportation officials have dubbed it the most important safety project for the region that's not on Interstate 35.

The project is expected to cost $14 million more than originally expected, Evilia said. TxDOT has performed a considerable amount of work on the project since projections were first released two years ago, he said. A lot of the price increase is due to the work needed for the turnarounds and right-of-way acquisitions.

Money saved from the overpass project at Speegleville Road and Highway 84, which was projected at $32.5 million and came in at $21 million, will help cover the increase construction costs.

Between 2005 and 2010, traffic counts grew from 50,127 to 55,500 on the stretch between Bagby Avenue and Imperial Drive. From 2013 to 2017, TxDOT recorded 243 crashes in the stretch of Loop 340 under study, including three fatalities and seven crashes resulting in incapacitating injuries, according to Tribune-Herald archives.
Edmond Bear
UBBY said:

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/city_of_waco/hotels-slated-for-mlk-blvd-after-tif-zone-board-boost/article_55a6293e-b55d-5a30-84cf-51a301d65c12.html

The downtown Tax Increment Financing Zone board on Wednesday unanimously approved more than $3.2 million for public improvements associated with three, four-story hotels slated for Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard in East Waco.

The trio of hotels would add major development on the east side of the Brazos River to the tune of 361 rooms, a shared courtyard area, event space and a bar and restaurant in two of the properties. The total cost of the project will be about $21.7 million.

The L-shaped Cambria Hotel between Bridge Street and Taylor Street would include 132 guest rooms, a bar and restaurant, fitness center, 5,400 square feet of event space and a shared courtyard with the adjacent Even Hotel. Even would include 128 rooms, a bar and restaurant, workout space and fitness equipment in each room and 1,900 square feet of meeting space.The restaurant at Even would be called "Cork and Kale" and feature juice and coffee bars.

On the other side of Taylor Street, a 101-room Holiday Inn Express would include a fitness room, pool and a board room with flexible space.

Developers hope to break ground on the project early next year and complete the entire project by 2022. City Economic Development Director Melett Harrison said the project will create 105 jobs and more than $3 million in payroll with development of the hotels. A study of Waco's downtown found that a hotel would benefit the area, especially in light of the city's high occupancy rate.

Bhatka said he is planning another hotel off of Waco's famous traffic circle off La Salle Avenue. Hotel Element, he said, will also break ground early next year.

So, the Cambria, Even Hotel, and Holiday Inn Express are all on the river between Buzzard Billy's and the main bridge? And they all backup to a riverwalk trail? That's a pretty nice look.

I've never heard of an Even Hotel but looking at their website, they look like IHG's (Holiday Inn) version of Aloft.

And Hotel Element looks like Westin's version of Aloft.

That's a great update.

hodedofome
This is sorely needed. There's wrecks on that stretch all the time now. Lots of backed up traffic on the highway.

A flyover would fix all of this however, and doesn't appear to be in the cards.
hodedofome
Tenacious D said:

Waco hotel occupancy rate ranks 1st in state

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/city_of_waco/waco-hotel-occupancy-rate-ranks-st-in-state/article_e55f31dd-94c3-599d-8ba6-e0f967f12ba4.html

With a tip of the cap to Chip and Joanna Gaines, their Magnolia Market at the Silos and a stimulated economy, Waco officials announced this week the city leads the state with an 82.7 percent hotel occupancy rate.
Source Strategies Inc., which keeps track of hotel occupancy rates, reported Waco topped the list for the quarter that ended June 30, recording a 7.1 percent increase in Waco's hotel occupancy over the 75.6 percent reported from the same quarter last year.
Midland came in second at 77 percent, and the Austin-Round Rock area was third at 76.3 percent.

Waco's hotel occupancy has been in the top five cities in the state since 2016 but has never been No. 1, said Carla Pendergraft, director of marketing for the Waco Convention & Visitors Bureau.
In response to the high hotel demand, there are seven hotels with a total of 795 rooms either under construction or with a permit to build issued by the city of Waco, Pendergraft said. The hotels will be completed over the next several years, with the Hilton Garden Inn at 5800 Legend Lake Parkway expected to open in September.
There are 4,026 hotel rooms in Waco, the highest number Waco has had, despite the recent demolition of a La Quinta and an Executive Inn that are in the process of being replaced. Area hotels reported $86,544,429 in revenue last year, Pendergraft said.
Waco has become a tourist destination, thanks in no small part to Magnolia Market at the Silos, which attracts 33,665 visitors weekly, Pendergraft said. Baylor University, sporting events, conventions and corporate meetings also contribute to the high hotel occupancy rate, she said.
"Nobody can say the true effect the Gaineses have had on the market, but at 33,000 visitors a week to the Silos, they are clearly having a strong impact on the market," Pengergraft said. "Baylor is also a big driver in the market, and MCC and TSTC all generate a lot of overnight activity. Corporate meetings, sporting events, generally more economic activity are factors, but what is really different from years past is Magnolia and the increase in tourism is the new factor in the market."
Justin Edwards, general manager of the Waco Hilton, said he sees the so-called "Magnolia effect" almost daily. He said there was a woman from England staying this week at the Hilton who came to town just to see the Silos.
"I think they have definitely made Waco cool," Edwards said, speaking of the Gaineses, who featured Waco and its sights on their "Fixer Upper" reality TV show.
Edwards said he is not surprised Waco is on top of the hotel occupancy list because of the positive turnaround in its image, which has prompted more tourists and a growth spurt.
"It has definitely been a strong growing year and it has been a good year for us," Edwards said. "But Waco has seen that cycle before where everyone is running high occupancy and a bunch of new permits come in and then the market is going to be increased by the significant increases in rooms. Now it is supply and demand and then it flips to too much supply. Speaking honestly as a hotelier, I am not too excited about all the new properties coming into town.
"Competition is good. It improves quality and service for everyone because we have to step up our game. But on the flip side, you have to make the demand for the rooms grow at the same rate or as fast as the supply in the market."
Besides the Hilton Garden Inn, La Quinta Del Sol is under construction at 911 S. 10th St., a Springhill Suites Waco is under construction at 115 Interstate 35, an Aloft Hotel is being built at 900 S. 11th St. and a Hyatt Place is under construction at 5400 Bagby Ave.
Also, permits have been issued for a Tru by Hilton at 2408 Marketplace Drive and for a Residence Inn at 2424 Marketplace Drive.
I think we can get a pretty good idea of the Gaineses effect, if the silos have 33,665 visitors a week, that's 1.75 million folks a year. With 2.6 million visitors a year in Waco, roughly 70% visit the silos.

The effect of the Gaineses in Waco cannot be understated...
Yogi
hodedofome said:

This is sorely needed. There's wrecks on that stretch all the time now. Lots of backed up traffic on the highway.

A flyover would fix all of this however, and doesn't appear to be in the cards.
A flyover and a braided ramp would be ideal.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
UBBY
https://www.baylorlinefoundation.com/waco-mayor-talks-development-the-economy-and-the-i-35-bridges/

BUwolverine2012
UBBY said:

https://www.baylorlinefoundation.com/waco-mayor-talks-development-the-economy-and-the-i-35-bridges/

damn. hadnt read the CAB story yet. that was good
UBBY
UBBY said:

LaSalle is already starting to redevelop. With the new Magnolia Table at the end of LaSalle and the shuttle that we're going to put in that will run from downtown, you'll see that area start to redevelop, which will be really good for Baylor. And then, in addition, at the end of this year they're going to start the expansion and renovation of I-35 through downtown, which is going to be Fun. [Laughing] very difficult for a while. But it will be really good for the Baylor-Waco connection when it's finished because they're going to realign those overpasses, making them much more pedestrian friendly. They're going to have some light features and things that you've probably heard about. And I think that will make the connection between Baylor and downtown that much better. And, I think you're going to see downtown continue to redevelop at even a greater pace. Hopefully we're going to see some big buildings with lots of offices in them in the near future. So, I'm excited about what Dr. Livingstone has planned for Baylor. I think she is proving herself to be a great hire, and look forward to continuing to work together with the university. It's just really fun to see this stuff happen in your town that you've been waiting all this time saying, "Look at the potential." And now, people are starting to see the potential.

And, we didn't talk about this, but we have the IronMan 70.3, which is the half-distance IronMan triathlon, which is going to be in Waco for the next five years. So that's a big deal. And it brings in a lot of people that will see this opportunity. That, in and of itself, will be a catalyst. People are starting to see Waco as sort of a hub for outdoor and athletic activities. And I mean nobody has anything like Cameron Park. It's an amazing asset. People in Waco have been talking about it for years, but people outside are starting to finally understand.
UBBY
Hotels in development to help with increased activity.

1 - Lasalle

3 - MLK Jr. Boulevard

3 - Central Texas Marketplace (1 on Bagby Ave.)

1 - I-35 across from Mclane Stadium

2 - Downtown Brazos Promenade and Brazos Commons each with a hotel

2 - Next to Freddy's Steakburgers, almost finished.
Wichitabear
Exciting!!!
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Downtown looked great Saturday
Yogi
UBBY said:

1 - Lasalle

3 - MLK Jr. Boulevard

+1 in Legends Crossing

Though none can ever be The Thunderbird...
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
UBBY
Yogi said:

UBBY said:

1 - Lasalle

3 - MLK Jr. Boulevard

+1 in Legends Crossing

Though none can ever be The Thunderbird...
Yes. I purposely excluded that one in Legends Crossing because I thought it was already up and running.
bankerbear
It is! Check it out!
UBBY
https://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/elm-avenue-apartment-development-gets-council-nod/article_b300ed16-f5db-5ab0-90ed-3ea2789ff26c.html

A three-story apartment complex that would attempt to capture the culture and history of East Waco, with music festivals, artwork and a rooftop view, received a key vote from the Waco City Council this week.

As proposed it would feature warehouse-style apartments, a fountain and serenity garden, an architectural feature called Windows on Elm Avenue, stylish lighting and venues where musicians could play daily.

He said the project would complement a $21.7 million development of three four-story hotels near Bridge Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard by hotelier Kenny Bhakta, who recently secured a commitment for $3.2 million in public money from the downtown Tax Increment Financing Zone board.

Barefield said she hosted a visit Wednesday from a Houston business owner looking to expand in Waco. She said the prospect "was familiar with the richness of East Waco, the jewel and the gem it is," and is considering opening a restaurant, entertainment venue and child-care facility.

"We hope to attract a mix of folks, to be as diverse as East Waco itself," he said. "This place is going to be near the heart of it all, with great walkability and easy access to the river, downtown, the Waco Suspension Bridge, the parks, Cameron and Indian Spring. McLane Stadium is not far away. More restaurants are planned on Elm Avenue, joining those there now. Then there are the new hotels."

UBBY
https://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/hopdoddy-gourmet-burger-restaurant-bound-for-legends-crossing/article_d9685690-381d-575d-b62a-0cb5ef9c98cf.html

Edmond Bear
UBBY said:

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/hopdoddy-gourmet-burger-restaurant-bound-for-legends-crossing/article_d9685690-381d-575d-b62a-0cb5ef9c98cf.html

Houston based chain. Cool, modern environment. Burgers are good but Waco already has better.
BaylorBJM
Edmond Bear said:

UBBY said:

Houston based chain. Cool, modern environment. Burgers are good but Waco already has better.

Nope. Austin-based.

It's also -quite literally- the first word in the article.
Edmond Bear
BaylorBJM said:

Edmond Bear said:

UBBY said:

Nope. Austin-based.

It's also -quite literally- the first word in the article.

Didn't read it. We have a couple in OKC and when the first one opened all of the employees told us it was out of Houston.
Yogi
UBBY said:

The fries are awesome.

The alcoholic shakes? You get what your drink!
IASIP Rocks
PF Changs apparently opened last night fwiw. We're going to go soon. While I'm excited to finally get a PF Changs, what Waco needs more of is upscale locally owned places. While Hat Creek is a neat concept and well done, and I bet Hopdoddy is too, and I like Walk Ons and am glad to have it here, we have an overabundance of lunch/burger/chicken basket/bar food type places. You might even say we have a plethora of them.

What we have ZERO of is the equivalent of restaurants like Poscol, Caracol, Liberty Kitchen (Houston); Toulouse, FT33 (Dallas); Bliss (San Antonio); or ... I wish I could say Uchi/Uchiko but I just don't know if Waco can ever stomach the price tag (same with a couple of those places I listed above). Milo All Day is a step in the right direction although the food is good but not great and the service is pretty suspect. But at least it's local folks that put an effort into modernity and it's not just another burger / bar food joint. Moroso is the closest restaurant in Waco to what I'm talking about, but it's still pretty casual by comparison. And I haven't forgotten 135 Prime, which is good, but it's sort of genero steakhouse with dark wood interior.
Bear Doc
IASIP Rocks said:

PF Changs apparently opened last night fwiw. We're going to go soon. While I'm excited to finally get a PF Changs, what Waco needs more of is upscale locally owned places. While Hat Creek is a neat concept and well done, and I bet Hopdoddy is too, and I like Walk Ons and am glad to have it here, we have an overabundance of lunch/burger/chicken basket/bar food type places. You might even say we have a plethora of them.

What we have ZERO of is the equivalent of restaurants like Poscol, Caracol, Liberty Kitchen (Houston); Toulouse, FT33 (Dallas); Bliss (San Antonio); or ... I wish I could say Uchi/Uchiko but I just don't know if Waco can ever stomach the price tag (same with a couple of those places I listed above). Milo All Day is a step in the right direction although the food is good but not great and the service is pretty suspect. But at least it's local folks that put an effort into modernity and it's not just another burger / bar food joint. Moroso is the closest restaurant in Waco to what I'm talking about, but it's still pretty casual by comparison. And I haven't forgotten 135 Prime, which is good, but it's sort of genero steakhouse with dark wood interior.
I agree with the overabundance of those types of places, but I think the market is just catering to what sells here.

Joe Waco does not eat at Uchi. Haha.
IASIP Rocks
Oh you're 100% right. I just hope that gradually as our population increases and earnings (I would imagine/hope) rise, the market here would be able to support at least one upscale New American type place.
BaylorBJM
IASIP Rocks said:

Some of those restaurants you named wouldn't last six months in Waco.

Waco needs to embrace the Hopdoddy's, Hat Creek's and Chang's of the world.
CammoTX
IASIP Rocks said:

You are correct. I know a banker, perhaps we should develop a business plan...

PS: Hopdoddy is the truth. Wagyu burger for $12 is amazing. A little on the high side for a burger joint, but the drinks, shakes, fries and burgers are some of the best around. Consensus in Htown is Burger Joint and Hopdoddy are tops.
3 and OUT
CammoTX said:

PS: Hopdoddy is the truth. Wagyu burger for $12 is amazing. A little on the high side for a burger joint, but the drinks, shakes, fries and burgers are some of the best around. Consensus in Htown is Burger Joint and Hopdoddy are tops.
Consensus? Nah. Both good but give me Bernie's Burger Bus above those.
Pro Ecclesia, Pro Texana
1outawayBear
CammoTX said:

IASIP Rocks said:

hopdoddy sucks lol
baylrballa
1outawayBear said:

CammoTX said:

IASIP Rocks said:

hopdoddy sucks lol
I might avoid ever going there just so i don't have to say the name.
Bearly Interested
Waco needs a Del Frisco's Grille or a Bob's Steakhouse.
IASIP Rocks
BaylorBJM said:

IASIP Rocks said:

Some of those restaurants you named wouldn't last six months in Waco.

Waco needs to embrace the Hopdoddy's, Hat Creek's and Chang's of the world.
I know I know I know but don't take my dreams from me
Joecool114
Its 2018 and Waco still doesn't have a hookah bar. Like come on this thing would just print money catering to all these college students.
WILLIS
Had one back in ~2010-2012 somewhere along 4th street in downtown I think.
baylrballa
Joecool114 said:

Its 2018 and Waco still doesn't have a hookah bar. Like come on this thing would just print money catering to all these college students.
thats seriously still a thing?
DaBear
Probably the best way for a more upscale New-American restaurant to get established in the Waco market would be to serve an affordable lunch menu featuring classic, but elevated dishes.
Then the dinner menu can be more upscale and more creative, but still reasonably priced.
The "safer" lunch options appeal to the public and sort of serve as a "gateway drug" to the dinner options.
BUwolverine2012
1outawayBear said:

CammoTX said:

IASIP Rocks said:

hopdoddy sucks lol

this is correct
Be present in all things and thankful for all things.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.