Waco Development

70,353 Views | 827 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wichitabear
Bahamabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Brian Ethridge said:

Bahamabear said:

TREX said:

Bring back Waterworks!!

Yes, and the Killer B's while at it, maybe even David Garza

Oh my... No love for The Spin or Jack O' Pierce?

Yes and yes, tho I personally liked The Spin better than Jacko
NOVA Bear
I saw some fun bands at Waterworks. It was a great place.
A Grateful Bear
So what brought the demise of the Waterworks, then? And is the building still capable of being refurbished, or beyond repair at this point?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Bahamabear said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Bahamabear said:

TREX said:

Bring back Waterworks!!

Oh my... No love for The Spin or Jack O' Pierce?

Yes and yes, tho I personally liked The Spin better than Jacko
Same.
NOVA Bear
There was a band (Blue Saint Kick?) that covered Nirvana songs. Had a blast listening to them at Waterworks.
Gold Tron
Bahamabear said:

TREX said:

Bring back Waterworks!!

The Spin, I miss them.
BearlyHeardFrom
Playing this fall. Gonna be kind of sad realizing how young I was seeing them play back in the day.
Bear-0-Daktyl
A Grateful Bear said:

So what brought the demise of the Waterworks, then? And is the building still capable of being refurbished, or beyond repair at this point?
It looks too far gone IMO. Which is a bummer.
1outawayBear
BearMace said:

A Grateful Bear said:

I was interested in it so I googled it. Turns out I drive by it almost daily and looks run down. Trib said it was a restaurant from 75-89 and was tried as a few different restaurants and then night clubs before closing its doors oermantely. Family still owns it
SSadler
It's location made it an extra 10 minutes to get to and 2-3 awkward driving turns off I-35 and/or Waco Drive crossing the river on to what is now MLK Drive (north side of the river). Then still a kind of tough walk from not-enough-parking. Was a good alternative, but you had to really want to go there.

Big Daddy still does catering; not sure where his primary kitchen is. He does a lot of the Waco Convention Center type stuff--as well as BU stuff when ARA doesn't want the food contract.

Used to be the go-to guy to serve visiting athletic teams their pre/post game meals. Not so sure about that any more since I'm not around those events as much.

Brian Ethridge
Staff
Waterworks was also hurt by The Pelican burning down on the opposite side of Waco Drive.

That area was sketchy after dark during those days and I'm not sure about it now.
Camo08
They should put a Chelsea St Pub in the SUB.
Willie
BearMace said:

A Grateful Bear said:

I loved waterworks. However, I took a date there to eat one night and a rat ran under our table while we were eating. My date screamed so loud, everyone in the whole place got silent...you could hear a pin drop. Got a free meal out of it tho...and all we could drink at the bar that night. Fun times
1outawayBear
Brian Ethridge said:

Waterworks was also hurt by The Pelican burning down on the opposite side of Waco Drive.

That area was sketchy after dark during those days and I'm not sure about it now.

Still sketch as ****
WILLIS
I know that building. There was a club in that building around 2007. Knew some people that went a time or two. IIRC someone got stabbed and it shut down shortly after. Think it was called club legacy
Gunny Hartman
BobbyPeru said:

BearMace said:

A Grateful Bear said:

I loved waterworks. However, I took a date there to eat one night and a rat ran under our table while we were eating. My date screamed so loud, everyone in the whole place got silent...you could hear a pin drop. Got a free meal out of it tho...and all we could drink at the bar that night. Fun times

Rats gotta eat too you know
Boots
We loved Legacy. We had our smoker event there a few years. A stabbing happening there isn't surprising at all.
SSadler
BobbyPeru said:

BearMace said:

A Grateful Bear said:

. . . rats running under table = nightly occurence at "Pete's", an old greasy spoon burger joint that sat on the small parcel (now cleared greenspace) between I-35 and Brooks Hall arch back in the day (circa 1970).

Served lunches only; thus casual dates were often spent strolling over to the closed "Pete's" looking thru large window for nightly "coming out of the rats."

SNL "chee-burger, chee-burger, chee-burger" a very apt replica.

BearChick
This site would be better if we discussed Jackopierce more on a semi-regular basis. #glorydays #whereismycopyofbringingontheweather
Stock
I see your Jackopierce and raise with some Soulhat and a little bit of Dirty Crabber.
BearlyHereBear
TREX said:

Bring back Waterworks!!
Took wifey there on our first night date.
Bahamabear
Stock said:

I see your Jackopierce and raise with some Soulhat and a little bit of Dirty Crabber.

Raise you some Billy Goat

Bought a tee shirt from that show that said "f more, b itch less"

Wouldn't play well these days
beardoc
Speaking of Petes,does anyone know what happened to Grillrat?
BearChick
Stock said:

Still have my Soulhat CD. Good times.
Gunny Hartman
Stock said:

The Crabber! The night they played our fraternity dance got us banned from hosting further events at the Dr. Pepper museum in perpetuity.

Edit: holy cow, their old lead singer uploaded some of their songs to YouTube. Madness.

Joecool114
Didn't know about this new hotel being built, this is really going to change the Waco skyline, will be nice to sit across from Robinson

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/permit-issued-for--story-waco-hotel-on-i/article_87a17821-1ff9-5758-94b5-7d0b611a25a6.html
UBBY
Greenbear said:

Never seen a city that needs hotels worse than Waco. In addition, I was at Cameron Park last week for the first time in 40 years. It was beautiful. Saw things in a different light than when I was a student. That park and surrounding area along the river should become prime real estate with the growth and expansion of Waco. Tons of old homes near downtown redone, but still some bad areas in Waco.
http://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/riverfront-proposal-for-chisholm-landing-near-mclane-stadium-clears-st/article_e077d093-1fb3-54e3-826e-bc846eab70a8.html

I wonder what happened to this?
WILLIS
UBBY said:

Greenbear said:

Never seen a city that needs hotels worse than Waco. In addition, I was at Cameron Park last week for the first time in 40 years. It was beautiful. Saw things in a different light than when I was a student. That park and surrounding area along the river should become prime real estate with the growth and expansion of Waco. Tons of old homes near downtown redone, but still some bad areas in Waco.
http://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/riverfront-proposal-for-chisholm-landing-near-mclane-stadium-clears-st/article_e077d093-1fb3-54e3-826e-bc846eab70a8.html

Dyson happened to it.
Joecool114
Also looks like the Hippodrome is being brought into the 21st century and doubling its theaters

http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Hippodrome-owners-have-plans-for-a-major-expansion-425801014.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KWTX_News_10
Ludwig von Missi
Joecool114 said:

Also looks like the Hippodrome is being brought into the 21st century and doubling its theaters

http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Hippodrome-owners-have-plans-for-a-major-expansion-425801014.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KWTX_News_10
You know it has only been in its current state for like 5 minutes, right?
Gunny Hartman
WILLIS said:

UBBY said:

Greenbear said:

Dyson happened to it.

What does this mean?
Grinnin bear
The Hippodrome renovation and expansion is cool for Waco.
WILLIS
Gunny Hartman said:

WILLIS said:

UBBY said:

Greenbear said:

Dyson happened to it.

What does this mean?

Had Dyson as a prof for real estate investments in 2011. What a joke he became after getting tenured. Miserable semester. Lots of stories about all his failed real estate ventures (condos in Cuba, student housing, etc)

BaylorBJM
WILLIS said:

Gunny Hartman said:

WILLIS said:

UBBY said:

Greenbear said:

Dyson happened to it.

What does this mean?

Had Dyson as a prof for real estate investments in 2011. What a joke he became after getting tenured. Miserable semester. Lots of stories about all his failed real estate ventures (condos in Cuba, student housing, etc)

Dyson probably had the worst attendance record of any professor or student in the BSchool. One semester I think he probably no-showed for about a 1/3 of his classes.

My final year with him towards the last few classes of the semester he became upset no one was turning in the final project which was to be a major part of our final grade. He later realized he never distributed the information earlier in the year for the supposed project.
NOVA Bear
BaylorBJM said:

WILLIS said:

Gunny Hartman said:

WILLIS said:

UBBY said:

Greenbear said:

Dyson happened to it.

What does this mean?

Dyson probably had the worst attendance record of any professor or student in the BSchool. One semester I think he probably no-showed for about a 1/3 of his classes.

My final year with him towards the last few classes of the semester he became upset no one was turning in the final project which was to be a major part of our final grade. He later realized he never distributed the information earlier in the year for the supposed project.
I hate to disparage my BU, but I also went to grad school at SMU for two years. There are several stories like Dyson and Gould at Baylor. When I was at SMU we had a professor like that and several students complained. After about a month he was removed from the class and replaced with a top notch person. The Dean of the B school spoke to us and said that sort of thing was a weakness of the tenure system and SMU wouldn't tolerate folks that didn't focus on students as well as other pursuits. I had heard that this happened at SMU once every couple of years. I loved my education at Baylor and wouldn't trade it for anything, but I did find SMU more challenging because there were no profs who 'took time off' (other than the one guy who was ultimately removed and replaced).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.