Waco Development

70,364 Views | 827 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wichitabear
ButterflyFX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yogi said:

ButterflyFX said:

What do we have to do to get a Pappadeaux's?
My guess would be to add another 150,000 to the metro and/or improve the per capita income.

In other words NEVER.
#45 Bryson Jackson, LB, 6'2" 211 lbs
2020 Graduate, Mansfield, TX
GP -:13, Tackles - 7 (3 solo)
Valkyrie
I guess I'm in the minority but I don't care if Waco ever has a Pappadeaux's.
Yogi
ButterflyFX said:

Yogi said:

ButterflyFX said:

My guess would be to add another 150,000 to the metro and/or improve the per capita income.

In other words NEVER.

I wouldn't say never. I never thought PF Chang's would open a Waco restaurant. I thought we would never see Saltgrass or Chuy's in Waco and those stores developed.

I just think Pappa's is still evaluating the market. They can move whenever they want because they don't have to. Many times getting into the market can be as simple as getting a good deal on a piece of land or a lease for a building. It could also be that Pappa's is evaluating which concept would be the best fit for the area.

Watch Lubbock. It is a city in Waco's population demographic that typically gets a store right before Waco does. That is because it is more of a "hub city" out in West Texas. However, whenever a company or franchiser places a store in Lubbock, they usually follow with stores in the Waco and Tyler markets.

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
loanbear
Yogi said:

ButterflyFX said:

Yogi said:

ButterflyFX said:

In other words NEVER.

I wouldn't say never. I never thought PF Chang's would open a Waco restaurant. I thought we would never see Saltgrass or Chuy's in Waco and those stores developed.

I just think Pappa's is still evaluating the market. They can move whenever they want because they don't have to. Many times getting into the market can be as simple as getting a good deal on a piece of land or a lease for a building. It could also be that Pappa's is evaluating which concept would be the best fit for the area.

Watch Lubbock. It is a city in Waco's population demographic that typically gets a store right before Waco does. That is because it is more of a "hub city" out in West Texas. However, whenever a company or franchiser places a store in Lubbock, they usually follow with stores in the Waco and Tyler markets.

That is somewhat true. Actually we are normally the 2nd spots for things that originate in the Temple/Killeen market as the demographics are much more similar to Waco than Lubbock. Typically they start in Temple/Killeen due to the higher population density in that county and then move to Waco if they are successful. Bryan/College Station is also another starter for Waco(see Saltgrass).
Yogi
loanbear said:

Yogi said:

ButterflyFX said:

Yogi said:

ButterflyFX said:

In other words NEVER.

That is somewhat true. Actually we are normally the 2nd spots for things that originate in the Temple/Killeen market as the demographics are much more similar to Waco than Lubbock. Typically they start in Temple/Killeen due to the higher population density in that county and then move to Waco if they are successful. Bryan/College Station is also another starter for Waco(see Saltgrass).
Well, Bell County is still waiting for Saltgrass.

Three concepts that have recently opened in Bell County that have not yet made it into McLennan include Zaxby's (2 locations), MOD Pizza and Red Robin burgers. But, many times, Waco serves as the starter for Temple/ Kileen as well. I think that's because Waco is generally under the same contract for most franchisees as Temple/ Killeen.

Not sure about the latter two, but Zaxby's should be breaking into the Baylor area soon. MOD pizza is very similar to Pie 5, so I am not sure how that's going to work out, and I have no idea about Red Robin's plans in McLennan County.

Waco already got a second Denny's, so I am good to go up there...
ButterflyFX
Yogi said:

loanbear said:

Yogi said:

ButterflyFX said:

Yogi said:

ButterflyFX said:

In other words NEVER.

Three concepts that have recently opened in Bell County that have not yet made it into McLennan include Zaxby's (2 locations), MOD Pizza and Red Robin burgers. But, many times, Waco serves as the starter for Temple/ Kileen as well. I think that's because Waco is generally under the same contract for most franchisees as Temple/ Killeen.

Not sure about the latter two, but Zaxby's should be breaking into the Baylor area soon. MOD pizza is very similar to Pie 5, so I am not sure how that's going to work out, and I have no idea about Red Robin's plans in McLennan County.

Waco already got a second Denny's, so I am good to go up there...
Ok, I'll try to be patient. I figured since Beaumont had one, surely we had a chance.
#45 Bryson Jackson, LB, 6'2" 211 lbs
2020 Graduate, Mansfield, TX
GP -:13, Tackles - 7 (3 solo)
WILLIS
Unless it's fried shrimp, fried catfish, farmed tilapia, fried XYZ, cajun crawfish joint with a side of hush puppies and french fries.... Not gonna work. Fresh seafood is way too expensive and not enough portions to keep the above average sized Joe Waco uncomfortably full. If he was served a 12 oz piece of grilled sea bass for $35 with a side of rice, he would burn the place down. Go on Yelp and type in Seafood for Waco. Every picture is a piece of something fried besides a crawfish.

baylrballa
WILLIS said:

Unless it's fried shrimp, fried catfish, farmed tilapia, fried XYZ, cajun crawfish joint with a side of hush puppies and french fries.... Not gonna work. Fresh seafood is way too expensive and not enough portions to keep the above average sized Joe Waco uncomfortably full. If he was served a 12 oz piece of grilled sea bass for $35 with a side of rice, he would burn the place down. Go on Yelp and type in Seafood for Waco. Every picture is a piece of something fried besides a crawfish.

:shrug
Gunny Hartman
Yogi said:

loanbear said:

Yogi said:

ButterflyFX said:

Yogi said:

ButterflyFX said:

In other words NEVER.

There are people in this world that are "waiting" for a Saltgrass?? Do these same folks also enjoy dining on shoe leather?
"Those who stay will be champions"

--William Barret Travis
Wacolegend
WILLIS said:

Fact - growing up in Waco good seafood just wasn't a thing, we never went out for it. I have 0% taste for seafood as a result. They started putting decent fish dishes on the menu at Ridgewood over the last decade or so. Other than that I can't think of a place that's served seafood less than $40 a plate, or more than $10 for shrimp/crawfish/catfish. I don't know how you bring reasonably priced seafood to Waco, you'll be stuck between extremes.
Fire Mack Rhoades. Ban all faculty yes-men.
Yogi
Gunny Hartman said:

Yogi said:

loanbear said:

Yogi said:

ButterflyFX said:

Yogi said:

ButterflyFX said:

In other words NEVER.

There are people in this world that are "waiting" for a Saltgrass?? Do these same folks also enjoy dining on shoe leather?
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Wacolegend said:

WILLIS said:

Fact - growing up in Waco good seafood just wasn't a thing, we never went out for it. I have 0% taste for seafood as a result. They started putting decent fish dishes on the menu at Ridgewood over the last decade or so. Other than that I can't think of a place that's served seafood less than $40 a plate, or more than $10 for shrimp/crawfish/catfish. I don't know how you bring reasonably priced seafood to Waco, you'll be stuck between extremes.

There was a buffet place as a kid with boiled shrimp and crab but it didn't last. Always Long John's to fall back on... Right Pagitt?
Gunny Hartman
Waco is a seafood Wasteland. Even worse than Dallas. And it's a tragedy.

Signed,

Someone who grew up on the Gulf Coast

--William Barret Travis
Joecool114
Gunny Hartman said:

Signed,

Someone who grew up on the Gulf Coast
I mean we have like 2 dedicated sushi places though so I feel like that's really cool...
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Gunny Hartman said:

Signed,

Someone who grew up in the armpit of the Gulf Coast

FIFY

G-Town!
forza orsi
Wacolegend said:

WILLIS said:

You need to check around a little more then. You're right that good fish wasn't here much when we were growing up, but that's not really true any more. 135 Prime does a very nice job on seafood. They have 15 seafood dishes on the menu and they range from $28-$36. I get seafood there more than I get steaks. At 1424 you can get some decent seafood with 8 items that range $21-$32. Sergio's has nothing but seafood and has some delicious stuff at $18-$20. Abuelita's has a dozen seafood dishes on the menu below $20. Hecho en Waco has a half-dozen of them under $20. Bella Luna has 10 seafood dishes $16-$24. And, as you mention, RCC does a nice job on their fish dishes at well below that price. There is not a Pappadeaux-style place, and we don't have much in the way of seafood-only restaurants, but it's wrong to say that nobody here serves any decent seafood below $40. I'd love to get some more places that do it well here, but still you can get it here at reasonable prices.
UPBaylor
GhettoHEBear said:

Tenacious D said:

Development or not, I know of multiple people here in Chicago and in other parts of the US that have gone, or plan to travel to Waco. And it is for one reason (sorry, not to catch a game at Baylor) and I am sure you all know what that reason is.

So there are people coming to Waco already...and to further development & enhance that downtown & riverfront will only make it more pleasant for out of towners.
True. But their show is done. And shiplap, big wall clocks, and cutesy hand painted signs won't be in style forever. It's a cultural sensation for women everywhere but in a few years Chips 'n JoJo are gonna be a trivia question.
This. It's part of a cycle. It was good for Waco, but we'll see if Waco is the focus as they try to evolve their brand/business. Especially as the spotlight starts to fade on them. I wouldn't be surprised to see them move their focus/base to a more metropolitan area in an effort to keep their brand relevant. I'm not saying they would shutter Waco operations with their store, but Waco may not be the focus going forward for them.

Waco received a big lift from them, but if I were a developer, I wouldn't count on that upward momentum continuing. At least not directly related to their future direction.
Gunny Hartman
Brian Ethridge said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Signed,

Someone who grew up in the armpit of the Gulf Coast

FIFY

G-Town!

Pipe down, Ross

--William Barret Travis
loanbear
Fish Daddy's would kill it here. Sister restaurant to Cheddars that has a few crossover items but focuses mainly on Seafood. Price points would work here. If I was in the fast casual arena instead of QSR, I would already be looking for real estate to put one in. Closest one to Waco is College Station and it does really well there.
McLaneStadium
I think one of the things that will always hold Waco back is the lack of attractive, white collar jobs, especially for younger people.
Yogi
Since it is Lent and all, one of Waco's best seafood places right now, in my opinion, is "The Catch" on Valley Mills Drive near Wooded Acres.

In terms of price and quality, think of it as well above Long John Silver's but less than Red Lobster. (I realize that isn't saying much.)

That said, the place is good. It's a great place for lunch if you are in the area.

It's a niche restaurant that really fills a void in the market.
loanbear
Yogi said:

Since it is Lent and all, one of Waco's best seafood places right now, in my opinion, is "The Catch" on Valley Mills Drive near Wooded Acres.

In terms of price and quality, think of it as well above Long John Silver's but less than Red Lobster. (I realize that isn't saying much.)

That said, the place is good. It's a great place for lunch if you are in the area.

Totally agree. Never had a bad meal there.
baylrballa
Yogi said:

the catch is very "waco" seafood. I've enjoyed it every time though. Same with Tejun Cajun.
Yogi
baylrballa said:

Yogi said:

the catch is very "waco" seafood. I've enjoyed it every time though. Same with Tejun Cajun.
I don't compare Waco's seafood to what I can get on the coast. I compare it to what I can get in other Texas cities its size. Want to complain about seafood in Waco? Try finding any seafood at all outside a Killeen sushi bar or Red Lobster in the Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood metro.
WILLIS
Dead Fish Grill in Belton is not bad at all (though it's been a couple years since I've been). It's on Lake Belton with great views. Check it out. They've got a nice variety of the good fried stuff and then a good selection of grilled/blackened snapper, grouper, mahi mahi, etc all under $20 or so. Fresh oysters too. -- Something like that would do well in Waco I have to think. A nice tweener seafood establishment. Anyways, more important stuff to worry about in Waco like $50k+ jobs. All that nice stuff follows when the good jobs and under 30's singles decide to stick around town after graduation.
GoodNewsBears
WILLIS said:

Dead Fish Grill in Belton is not bad at all (though it's been a couple years since I've been). It's on Lake Belton with great views. Check it out. They've got a nice variety of the good fried stuff and then a good selection of grilled/blackened snapper, grouper, mahi mahi, etc all under $20 or so. Fresh oysters too. -- Something like that would do well in Waco I have to think. A nice tweener seafood establishment. Anyways, more important stuff to worry about in Waco like $50k+ jobs. All that nice stuff follows when the good jobs and under 30's singles decide to stick around town after graduation.

Major key alert
Yogi
WILLIS said:

I love Dead Fish.

Get the reverse nachos as an appetizer. Great stuff!!!
Bearicade
Yogi said:

WILLIS said:

I love Dead Fish.

Get the reverse nachos as an appetizer. Great stuff!!!

Lol, I've never heard of a reverse nacho, but I'm intrigued...
I know you believe you understand what I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
FirmBear24
Buzzard's has been in Waco for how long? It has a lot of blackened dishes, crawfish, and etoufee. Pappadeaux does all those things infinitely better plus fried dishes and po-boys. It would be popular at lunch and weekends, especially during Baylor events.
DioNoZeus
FirmBear24 said:

Buzzard's has been in Waco for how long? It has a lot of blackened dishes, crawfish, and etoufee. Pappadeaux does all those things infinitely better plus fried dishes and po-boys. It would be popular at lunch and weekends, especially during Baylor events.
The last thing I remember about Buzzard's is the 3 wise men at a friend's 21st birthday. They serve food too?
BearCPA
Yogi said:

baylrballa said:

Yogi said:

I don't compare Waco's seafood to what I can get on the coast. I compare it to what I can get in other Texas cities its size. Want to complain about seafood in Waco? Try finding any seafood at all outside a Killeen sushi bar or Red Lobster in the Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood metro.
The Catch is also in Killeen. I haven't been yet, but I hear it is also pretty good.
FirmBear24
DioNoZeus said:

FirmBear24 said:

The last thing I remember about Buzzard's is the 3 wise men at a friend's 21st birthday. They serve food too?
It is even edible after a few 3 wise men and a 4 horsemen.
BaylorGuy314
Just a tidbit. An executive who works for Pappa's is moving from DFW to Waco. I wouldn't read into it much at all but you never know.
Grinnin bear
Oh, I'm reading into it alright!
- Sometimes you just gotta grin and bear it.
Bahamabear
BaylorGuy314 said:

Just a tidbit. An executive who works for Pappa's is moving from DFW to Waco. I wouldn't read into it much at all but you never know.

Pappadeaux, Sitos, Steak and Burger joints all confirmed

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.