Waco Development

69,385 Views | 827 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wichitabear
UBBY
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes, Heritage Square is right next to Coach's. They would completely eliminate the parking that is there to create the buildings and to also create an urban park. It would all be underground parking (about 1600 spaces I believe). They will plant trees and have water fountains, maybe a splash pad in the park.
Wichitabear
Ooooook
trey3216
UBBY said:

Yes, Heritage Square is right next to Coach's. They would completely eliminate the parking that is there to create the buildings and to also create an urban park. It would all be underground parking (about 1600 spaces I believe). They will plant trees and have water fountains, maybe a splash pad in the park.
I don't think you could have underground parking there. The water table is too high in that area of downtown for anything much larger than 1.5 floors below street level.
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
UBBY
trey3216 said:

UBBY said:

I don't think you could have underground parking there. The water table is too high in that area of downtown for anything much larger than 1.5 floors below street level.
Oh, really? I'm just going off of what the original plan said. I assumed they had done their due diligence on those types of issues. Maybe they could build a big parking garage somewhere close. Parking is going to be a hassle one way or the other when this project eventually gets finished.
trey3216
UBBY said:

trey3216 said:

UBBY said:

Oh, really? I'm just going off of what the original plan said. I assumed they had done their due diligence on those types of issues. Maybe they could build a big parking garage somewhere close. Parking is going to be a hassle one way or the other when this project eventually gets finished.
I'm just going by some of the new stuff that has gone in about how tight the squeeze is on the water table. And God forbid we get a nice 100 year flood on the Brazos.
PartyBear
It would be cool if the River Front was more a Downtown Disney or Universal Citywalk type development. I don't mean I would expect it to literally those things to be cloned here by either company but something like it. Have a Margaritaville, Rainforest Cafe etc. Just a dream for Waco. I know Waco isn't quite that big but Hula Hutt (Polynesian Version of Chuy's) would be a cool type of place there.
trey3216
PartyBear said:

It would be cool if the River Front was more a Downtown Disney or Universal Citywalk type development. I don't mean I would expect it to literally those things to be cloned here by either company but something like it. Have a Margaritaville, Rainforest Cafe etc. Just a dream for Waco. I know Waco isn't quite that big but Hula Hutt (Polynesian Version of Chuy's) would be a cool type of place there.

Uggh, if I never have to see a Margaritaville or Rainforest Cafe again, it'll be 38 years too late
PartyBear
Disregard what was previously posted here I thought an old post from 2 years ago was the most recent post here.
Edmond Bear

I get that something like a Downtown Disney appeals to the Wal-Mart crowd, which is large, but those restaurants are awful.
PartyBear
The elitism of Baylor posters regarding restaurants and entertainment etc going back a couple decades from the beginning of Baylor fans to present has always been humorous. It's like watching a Frazier rerun.
trey3216
PartyBear said:

The elitism of Baylor posters regarding restaurants and entertainment etc going back a couple decades from the beginning of Baylor fans to present has always been humorous. It's like watching a Frazier rerun.

Or some of us don't like being led through tourist garbage like cattle to slaughter. Mediocre food, over the top/goofy/generic themes are things I just can't find any interest in. I don't feel like I'm in the islands at Margaritaville, I feel like I'm in a WalMart themed restaurant for old folks from flyover states.

And I'm hardly elitist. I'd say I'm sensible and easily amused. I don't need conga lines, roaring tigers or fake lightning to enjoy my meal.

My meal eating experiences revolve around the food I'm eating and the family/friends I'm eating with. It's about the company, not the boat drinks and boar tusks.
Boernebear
trey3216 said:

PartyBear said:

Or some of us don't like being led through tourist garbage like cattle to slaughter. Mediocre food, over the top/goofy/generic themes are things I just can't find any interest in. I don't feel like I'm in the islands at Margaritaville, I feel like I'm in a WalMart themed restaurant for old folks from flyover states.

And I'm hardly elitist. I'd say I'm sensible and easily amused. I don't need conga lines, roaring tigers or fake lightning to enjoy my meal.

My meal eating experiences revolve around the food I'm eating and the family/friends I'm eating with. It's about the company, not the boat drinks and boar tusks.

Agree 100%...plus, want strong drinks and everything is good!
Edmond Bear
PartyBear said:

Good point. We should all aspire to your very low and hokey standards.
PartyBear
Aren't you one of those excited about the new ax throwing facility and movie theater on 340 and 35? Nothing wrong with that I suppose but yes aspire to my low standards lol.
Edmond Bear
PartyBear said:

Aren't you one of those excited about the new ax throwing facility and movie theater on 340 and 35? Nothing wrong with that I suppose but yes aspire to my low standards lol.

Yes. Niles is a bad-ass ax thrower. All that pent up aggression. But, sometimes Roz gets drunk and spoils the whole thing.
Yogi
PartyBear said:

Are you kidding? The place sits across from where Twin Peaks used to be.

Can't wait for the first Biker meeting at an ax throwing facility!!!!
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Volunteer
Hearing significant rumblings about major developments in the industrial complex. Rumor is the amount of total investment is running close to $1 billion and involves multiple corporations.
Ike Lee
Out near Bellmead or over in the Hewitt area?
CammoTX
Volunteer said:

Hearing significant rumblings about major developments in the industrial complex. Rumor is the amount of total investment is running close to $1 billion and involves multiple corporations.
If Waco wants more restaurants, etc. this is the way to go. Development like this spurs other development. Now if Waco can just land some high tech jobs...
PartyBear
Volunteer said:

I have not heard this but that is good news. There is also 750 acres across 35 from the hospital that the city owns for purposes of an industrial park. Is that the land you are talking about?
UBBY
Volunteer said:

Any more details? Like PartyBear said is it the land off of loop 340 that is the "industrial complex?" What corporations?
UBBY
Yogi said:

PartyBear said:

Are you kidding? The place sits across from where Twin Peaks used to be.

Can't wait for the first Biker meeting at an ax throwing facility!!!!
If any bikers get near that place I'll call the cops and kick them out myself. My family was at Logan's when that shooting happened. My mom, dad and 83 year old grandmother. With bullets whizzing by thankfully missing them. Those bikers that survived can die a miserable death as far as I'm concerned.
PartyBear
The old Twin Peaks building btw is being converted into a Louisiana Crab Shack. Apparently a regional chain that just relocated its HQ from Biloxi ( perhaps?) to Dallas.
trey3216
Sure hope we don't see any Cajun bikers. Big trouble there
Grinnin bear
trey3216 said:

Just a rung or two below Carnies in my book.
- Sometimes you just gotta grin and bear it.
Kyle
Whatever happened to the gigantic "mixed use development" that was supposed to be on the river near the stadium? Assuming that was all cool architectural drawings with nothing ever done?
PartyBear
I believe that is the same thing I'm referring to as the Riverfront development on this thread.
BaylorHistory
PartyBear said:

Some of us actually like good food.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Grinnin bear said:

trey3216 said:

Just a rung or two below Carnies in my book.

Small hands, smells of boudin.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
BaylorHistory said:

PartyBear said:

Chains are for anchors.
BaylorHistory
Brian Ethridge said:

BaylorHistory said:

PartyBear said:

Chains are for anchors.
No doubt, but we live in a city that considers Olive Garden and Texas Roadhouse to be the top spots for date night. There are levels to dining and chains have their place, but we are lacking options for a metro area of 300,000 that gets a lot of tourism.
trey3216
BaylorHistory said:

Brian Ethridge said:

BaylorHistory said:

PartyBear said:

Chains are for anchors.
No doubt, but we live in a city that considers Olive Garden and Texas Roadhouse to be the top spots for date night. There are levels to dining and chains have their place, but we are lacking options for a metro area of 300,000 that gets a lot of tourism.
Well, a metro area of 300k and smaller isn't getting a Margaritaville unless it's Key West, and they probably tolerate it as much as celebrate it.

How many people from Waco are gonna go to Margaritaville on Monday and Tuesday? How many tourists from places that have a Margaritaville are going to come to Waco, Damn, Texas and go to a Margaritaville?

It's like Michael Scott going to Sbarro in NYC, but with conga lines and too much square footage.
Weston Rogers
BaylorHistory
trey3216 said:

BaylorHistory said:

Brian Ethridge said:

BaylorHistory said:

PartyBear said:

Chains are for anchors.
Well, a metro area of 300k and smaller isn't getting a Margaritaville unless it's Key West, and they probably tolerate it as much as celebrate it.

How many people from Waco are gonna go to Margaritaville on Monday and Tuesday? How many tourists from places that have a Margaritaville are going to come to Waco, Damn, Texas and go to a Margaritaville?

It's like Michael Scott going to Sbarro in NYC, but with conga lines and too much square footage.
Almost none. I feel like the type of tourist we get seems to be the type that would want to dress up and go to Hecho in Waco or Ninfas instead of a Margaritaville. Joe Waco isn't going to Margaritaville very often with the prices I saw at Universal Studios and the Cancun Airport.
CammoTX
Ain't no reason Waco can't have a few nice white tablecloth restaurants. Look at Oxford, Mississippi. One fifth the population of Waco and has some great restaurants.

Take the 1424 concept, move it downtown, make it chef driven, fresh/farm to table, hire good waitstaff and get a good bar and you will have a successful restaurant in Waco.

There are a bunch of local ranches you can partner with for meat, Brazos Valley for cheese, etc.

Good Lord, I might need to make a business plan and make this thing happen myself...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.