Waco Development

70,516 Views | 827 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wichitabear
boxster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
True, but most campuses have places like that around their campuses.

What he wants people to know about Baylor football: I want people to see that Baylor is the class of college football. Record GPAs, 26 different majors, guys challenging themselves to be the best they can be. Guys working in the community and guys working to be the best they can be in football. Want people to know Baylor is a great place as a University. -Coach Matt Rhule
Yogi
BaylorHistory said:

No way Waco could handle AMC, Regal, Hippodrome, Cinemark, + Unnamed theater.
I believe that the large movie megaplex will eventually go the way of the large drive-in - not just in Waco, but in general.

"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Yogi
boxster said:

I think I agree with this Lariat editorial:

https://baylorlariat.com/2019/02/14/students-need-late-night-spots/

Agree with Volunteer on this one.

But perhaps we can invent a dance bar; say, one with a split level dancefloor where girls in high-wasted acid-wash jeans and hair teased up a foot in Aqua Net boogie the night away.

We shall call this place "Mr. B's"...
UBBY
https://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/contractor-gearing-up-for-waco-i--overhaul/article_9d715b86-5b1f-56bb-a6a7-0f85ab6c2511.html

The Woodlands-based general contractor charged with a $341 million reconstruction of Interstate 35 through Waco is gearing up to start construction toward the end of next month.

"We know this is a priority project for TxDOT," said Josh Goyne, president of Webber LLC's heavy civil division. "We know this is something that the residents in the area are very concerned with. I think we will do everything we can to work with TxDOT to make sure we execute the project as quickly as we can and try to minimize the impact to the local public."

TxDOT has planned for the work to accommodate increased truck traffic coupled with regional population growth creating a travel demand that exceeds the interstate's capacity.

The project includes bridge replacements and layout changes, addition of a main travel lane in both directions, reconstruction of existing frontage roads, installation of more than 132,000 linear feet of reinforced concrete box culverts and pipe, and utility and landscaping work.
Work and lane closures will take place during restricted hours to minimize the impact to travelers and local businesses.

Work is scheduled to take about 46 months, with substantial completion expected in Spring 2023.
WILLIS
Did they ever come up with a pedestrian dedicated connection from one side of 35 to the other in the new plan? I know that was debated for awhile and people were upset the pedestrian bridge would be gone.
Yogi
The new Springfield Suites near Clifton Robinson has now reached 7 stories - approaching the height of CR - Much more impressive than I anticipated.

I will try and get some shots next time I am in town.

Maybe one of the locals can update for us.
Old300Bear
Little off topic but I saw that Guess BBQ is going in Michna's old building.

Also, I couldn't read the article but saw they are considering more decorative lighting like on the bridges for the new highway construction.
GoldenBear03
Old300Bear said:

Also, I couldn't read the article but saw they are considering more decorative lighting like on the bridges for the new highway construction.
I wonder what happened to Guess' place they were building out at 6th and Columbus.

Yogi
GoldenBear03 said:

Old300Bear said:

I wonder what happened to Guess' place they were building out at 6th and Columbus.
Amicable parting. Still being finished out and they have takers on the space.
boxster
https://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/gaineses-snap-up-historic-fort-house-one-of-waco-s/article_8eddd813-1abb-502b-a9b2-0083e0c45a72.html

What he wants people to know about Baylor football: I want people to see that Baylor is the class of college football. Record GPAs, 26 different majors, guys challenging themselves to be the best they can be. Guys working in the community and guys working to be the best they can be in football. Want people to know Baylor is a great place as a University. -Coach Matt Rhule
WILLIS
EDIT: God I hate trying to embed ****
baylrballa
WILLIS said:

EDIT: God I hate trying to embed ****

Old300Bear
If their BBQ is good that will be a great location. Good parking, easy access.
Ludwig von Missi
Old300Bear said:

If their BBQ is good that will be a great location. Good parking, easy access.
There is no if about it.
UBBY
https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Waco-Support-hub-for-entrepreneurs-starts-up-with-help-from-NFL-hall-of-famer-507008231.html
Joecool114
I just want to point out that the first day of Spring at the Silos has been traffic chaos throughout Waco. 35 has been shutdown both ways for hours now, Mary Ave has turned into a one way street because tourists double park illegally. The train hit a van parked next to the tracks yesterday and severed downtown from the rest of Waco for hours while the train was stopped. Also every tourist seemingly thinks there is a stop sign on every intersection and that the speed limit is 5 mph around Magnolia. Besides the normal stand still traffic and suicidal pedestrians walking in front of cars around Magnolia it's been pretty normal...

Shoutout to Waco PD for writing 80+ tickets on every car down Mary Ave though. I can't imagine what its going to be like this weekend with the TX Food Truck Showdown and the weekend Spring at the Silos crowd. If you're coming down this weekend expect a lot of traffic and issues on 35.

Yogi
Gonna be a real hoot when 35 goes under the knife starting this summer.
Yogi
New 9 story Hyatt coming to Downtown Waco.

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/new--story-hyatt-hotel-bound-for-downtown-seeking-tif/article_072d94dc-5b06-546d-b3b3-b41fcd0de862.html

Developers of a proposed nine-story, 110-room Hyatt Place hotel, with rooftop and ground-level restaurants, a shopping center and a parking garage, are requesting $4.1 million in Tax Increment Financing money. The TIF board will consider the matter during a meeting at noon Thursday in City Hall.
The Hyatt would go up on Mary Avenue, between Third and Fourth streets, a stroll from the seven-story Embassy Suites developers are working on behind Ninfa's and Cricket's, and blocks from the Waco Convention Center.
The lodging pair would together bring almost 300 new rooms to downtown, as well as two parking structures, three restaurants and three bars, according to information from Melett Harrison, Waco's economic development director.

The Embassy Suites project is valued at $35 million, while the Hyatt Place development reportedly would have a $19 million value. Hyatt Place, according to a background report, would feature 7,000 square feet of retail space, a pool, exercise facility and meeting rooms in addition to the dining establishments. It would provide guests easy access to entertainment, dining and events.
About $1.4 million of the Hyatt backers' $4.1 million TIF request is to cover the cost of a parking garage with a share of spaces available for public parking. However, city staff is recommending the TIF board pass on that $1.4 million option since the board already has promised money to the Embassy Suites project to build a parking garage partly open to the public.
The Hyatt request for downtown incentives comes from Waco RL Hospitality LLC, also identified as Dhanyavad Development, with officials affiliated with the company listed as Niraj Patel of Floresville, Chetan Patel of Hallettsville and Vipal Patel of Roseville, California. Listed as a "secondary contact" is Sorrells Development, whose president is given as Steve Sorrells.
Sorrells is a longtime local builder of upscale homes.
Work on the project would start July 1, and the completion date is listed as July 2020. The board of City Center Waco has endorsed the request, according to a letter from the organization included in the TIF board information packet.
City staff has recommended the Hyatt Place project receive $1.9 million in TIF funds over nine years. That figure is 10 percent of the value of the project.

She reminded that Waco's hotel occupancy rate in 2019 was the highest in the state among metropolitan areas, and a market study of downtown completed last summer found that a full-service hotel catering to tourists and Waco Convention Center visitors would benefit the area.
Also Thursday, the TIF board will consider these items:
  • A $350,000 request from City Center Waco to hire a design firm to prepare conceptual and engineering plans to develop a stretch of Bridge Street in East Waco into a public plaza and destination center.
  • A $1.29 million request from the city
  • of Waco

CammoTX
Hyatt is exciting and would be great for the city!

I believe Midland still has the highest hotel occupancy but Waco is no 2 which is pretty incredible
Old300Bear
Sure beats a Drury in my opinion.
Volunteer
Old300Bear said:

Probably in your opinion and also in the opinion of millions of others.
JCWortsman
Old300Bear said:

For my money, Porsche is a better automobile than Hyundai.

2023 Adopt-a-Bear: #80 Monoray Baldwin, Killeen, TX
UBBY
https://wacoheartoftexas.com/new-hotels-coming-to-waco/

Hotels opened in late 2018
Totaling 212 rooms, these hotels opened in late 2018.
  • Hilton Garden Inn 111 rooms
  • La Quinta Del Sol 101 rooms

Hotels Under Construction
There are four hotels in the market that are actively under construction, including a TownePlace Suites in Lacy Lakeview, near the Atwood's. These total 452 rooms.
  • Hyatt Place 125 rooms nearing completion
  • Aloft 117 rooms nearing completion
  • Springhill Suites 125 rooms under construction
  • Towneplace Suites Lacy Lakeview 85 rooms near completion

Hotels Undergoing Site Prep
We see several areas undergoing site preparation prior to beginning construction. These total 563 rooms and include the following five hotels:
  • Residence Inn 104 rooms
  • TRU by Hilton 98 rooms
  • Cambria Suites 132 rooms (Bridge St.)
  • EVEN hotel 128 rooms (Bridge St.)
  • Holiday Inn Express 101 rooms (Bridge St.)

Announced Projects
These three projects have been covered by the local media and total 310 rooms. These are expected to be constructed at some point in the future.
  • Embassy Suites 168 rooms (former Downtown 301 space)
  • Catalyst Riverfront Development 110 rooms
  • Pivovar 32 rooms

Summary of Waco's Hotel Market
Starting Hotel Supply: 3,711
Plus Hilton Garden Inn & La Quinta: 212
Plus 4 hotels under construction: 452
Plus 5 hotels undergoing site prep 563
Plus 3 announced new hotels: 310
Expected total rooms: 5,216
Percentage increase: 1,537 rooms, or 41%
lankylefty
UBBY said:

https://wacoheartoftexas.com/new-hotels-coming-to-waco/

Hotels opened in late 2018
Totaling 212 rooms, these hotels opened in late 2018.
  • Hilton Garden Inn 111 rooms
  • La Quinta Del Sol 101 rooms
Hotels Under Construction
There are four hotels in the market that are actively under construction, including a TownePlace Suites in Lacy Lakeview, near the Atwood's. These total 452 rooms.
  • Hyatt Place 125 rooms nearing completion
  • Aloft 117 rooms nearing completion
  • Springhill Suites 125 rooms under construction
  • Towneplace Suites Lacy Lakeview 85 rooms near completion

Hotels Undergoing Site Prep
We see several areas undergoing site preparation prior to beginning construction. These total 563 rooms and include the following five hotels:
  • Residence Inn 104 rooms
  • TRU by Hilton 98 rooms
  • Cambria Suites 132 rooms (Bridge St.)
  • EVEN hotel 128 rooms (Bridge St.)
  • Holiday Inn Express 101 rooms (Bridge St.)

Announced Projects
These three projects have been covered by the local media and total 310 rooms. These are expected to be constructed at some point in the future.
  • Embassy Suites 168 rooms (former Downtown 301 space)
  • Catalyst Riverfront Development 110 rooms
  • Pivovar 32 rooms

Summary of Waco's Hotel Market
Starting Hotel Supply: 3,711
Plus Hilton Garden Inn & La Quinta: 212
Plus 4 hotels under construction: 452
Plus 5 hotels undergoing site prep 563
Plus 3 announced new hotels: 310
Expected total rooms: 5,216
Percentage increase: 1,537 rooms, or 41%
Thanks for putting the research together. Occupancy rates high or not, all I ask is a decent suite to cost under $250/room/per night on a game weekend...
Wichitabear
This is exciting!!!
Volunteer
I like seeing the growth, but am a little concerned that we are going from under-built in terms of hotels to being over built. 40-something percent increase in space over a couple of years is extremely strong.
Wichitabear
Yes I have to agree. It worries me a little too. I'm super excited about doing the plans but worried if we are going overboard too quick.
UBBY
https://www.wacotrib.com/news/education/proposed-million-midway-isd-bond-could-fund-elementary-school-reconfigure/article_f68feb86-be5d-5ddd-8d3f-89f92d207e6b.html

A Midway Independent School District facility study committee recommended Tuesday that the school board call a November bond election for $177 million that would address the needs of the growing school district.

The bond package as proposed includes building a new elementary school, eliminating intermediate schools and repurposing the buildings, and renovating Midway Middle School.

Committee members said the major concern for the Midway district is growth, with student enrollment projections adding more than 2,000 in 10 years, committee representative Carly Webb said.

Midway's enrollment is 8,088. In 10 years, enrollment is expected to reach 10,700, and that is a conservative estimate, committee representative Scott Bland said.

As proposed, the bond issue would increase taxes by $7.19 per month on the average Midway ISD home, valued at $226,000.

The committee recommended eliminating intermediate schools that serve fifth- and sixth-grade students, converting Woodgate Intermediate School into an elementary school and converting River Valley Intermediate School into a middle school. Middle schools would serve sixth through eighth grades, and elementary schools would serve prekindergarten through fifth grade.

UBBY
https://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/mike_copeland/mike-copeland-homebuilding-former-toys-r-us-former-twin-peaks/article_428dfd06-f9c4-5388-921e-50478943d012.html

A housing boom continues in the area, with the sound of hammers and heavy equipment echoing from Hewitt to Bellmead to Robinson to Waco.

Exhibit A is the number of permits issued to build single-family homes and duplexes between April 24 and April 30, as reported by the local office of Associated General Contractors of America. Local entities issued permits to build 29 single-family homes and 31 duplexes during that seven-day snapshot.

Homes to be built ranged in estimated cost from $100,000 on North 21st Street to $600,000 on Ridgewood Drive, with many carrying projected values between $200,000 and $300,000, according to the Associated General Contractors of America rundown.

The 60-permit week areawide in April follows a busy March, when the city of Waco alone issued 70 permits, the most for the month since 73 in 2008, according to Karr Ingham, an Amarillo-based economist who prepares a monthly analysis of local economic trends.

The 1,500-home Park Meadows subdivision in far western Waco and the 750-home Creekside subdivision nearby in Hewitt are generating much of the permitting traffic.

Circle hotel:

It is site preparation for an extended-stay Hotel Element to be built by Central Texas hotelier Kenny Bhakta and his KB Hotels.

KB Hotels spokeswoman Jacquelyn Baumann said construction plans for Hotel Element have been submitted to the city of Waco. Site work near the circle will continue until a building permit is secured for Element.
UBBY
https://www.wacotrib.com/news/roads/china-spring-to-i--connector-among-hundreds-of-road/article_ca429cdd-0f02-5e36-848b-8810da3e36d4.html

MPO Director Chris Evilia said while some candidate projects are new, others have been considered for decades. One project calls for a road connecting China Spring to Interstate 35 at Ross, and another calls for an extension of Farm-to-Market Road 2837, also known as Rosenthal Parkway, to Riesel.

The proposals would each require a bridge over the Brazos River, adding to their overall cost. In the past, models have consistently shown those roads would not carry much traffic, but with the county's population growth, that could change.

Other candidate projects would widen main roadways through Hewitt, Woodway and McGregor. Those parts of the county that have experienced significant economic development and population growth in the last few years, and MPO's data show those areas will only continue to grow.

By contrast, the plan recommends lane reductions, also called road diets, throughout downtown Waco. Evilia said those recommendations stem in part from last year's MPO study on the 17th-18th-19th street corridor, which revealed that people frequently speed through the area.

Evilia said the wide footprint and lack of traffic gives drivers an unintentional visual queue to speed. In addition, Fourth Street, Fifth Street and Franklin Avenue could be converted entirely into two-way streets. The city is already moving forward with a project to convert Washington Avenue to a two-way street through downtown.

Active transportation projects may be included in the overall plan, depending on how they score, and active transportation concerns could be addressed alongside bigger road projects, she said. For example, work on existing streets could include new sidewalks and bike lanes if the project and funding allow.
UBBY
https://www.surfer.com/features/bsr-surf-resort-open-public/

New Jersey surfer Fabrizio Stabile tragically died due to an infection by Naegleria fowleri, a rare and deadly single-celled organism commonly called the "brain-eating amoeba."

It was a tragedy that shook the surfing community as well as BSR staffespecially the owner, Stuart Parsons, who voluntarily shut down the park while the Center for Disease Control tested the water (the CDC did not find Naegleria fowleri in the pool itself, but concluded that exposure still likely occurred at the facility). In the aftermath, Parsons invested a rumored $1.5 million in the water quality management program that is now advertised throughout the park.

"We did a lot of research, because there are a lot of different filtration systems out there, and we went with a company that has a proven record of managing water quality in parks like this," says Parsons. "Water Tech Solutions have taken this thing on as their baby and wanted to set a new standard for water quality in surf parks. [The Water Tech Solutions] guys can look at readings of every aspect of the water quality in real time. And our testing is transparentwe've sent all of our measurements to the state several times."

This Friday, following the latest round of water testing by state officials, which found BSR's water quality was found to be exceeding standards, the BSR Surf Resort will open to the public once more. But many couldn't even wait that long to get back in the water. Over the past few weeks, after Water Tech Solutions had implemented the new water quality management program, crews of pro surfers were allowed early access to the pool to gather new clips, as were young surf prodigies from around the world, whose previous reservations had been postponed due to the closure.

Given the quality and variety of surf, and the fact that it can be reproduced on command, perhaps it shouldn't be surprising that surfers were lining up for a session at the pool even before its official reopening (in all honestly, given surfers' fascination with the technology, some would have likely signed up even without the new filtration). Lucky for them, and for the countless surfers who will surely be booking their own trips to Waco in the future, BSR seems to be putting just as much emphasis on keeping surfers safe as they are on satisfying their dreams of riding perfect artificial waves.

UBBY
https://www.waco-texas.com/pdf/planning/cityplanDRAFT7-2016-A.pdf

4 . 5 . 2 Regionally Significant Highway Projects
The MTP identifies the most regionally significant mobility projects that
the Waco Region is anticipating sufficient financial resources to
construct or implement by the year 2040. The following list includes
those MTP project recommendations impacting the City of Waco or its
Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ). These recommendations are identified
on Map 4.2.
Interstate Highway 3 5
North Loop 340 to South Loop 340
Widen to 8 main lanes
Reconstruct main lanes, frontage roads and on/off ramps
FM 1 6 3 7 (China Spring Road)
FM 3051 (Steinbeck Bend Dr) to FM 185
Widen to 4 lanes
Loop 3 4 0
Brazos River to SH 6 / Marlin Hwy
Widen to 4 lanes
Loop 3 4 0 (cont' d)
IH-35 to US 77
Construct Frontage Roads
Construct overpass at Old Robinson Rd
US 8 4 at FM 2 8 3 7 / Speegleville Road
Construct overpass and extend US 84 frontage roads
State Highway 6
McLaughlin Rd to FM 185
Widen to 4 lanes
Franklin Avenue
Lake Air Dr to New Rd
Eliminate existing frontage roads
Relocate main lanes to frontage roads and widen to 6 lanes
Reconstruct interchange at New Rd
One-Way to Two-Way Conversions
Franklin Ave: 4th St to 17th St
Washington Ave: 5th St to 18th St
4th and 5th Streets: IH-35 to Herring Ave
Road Diets
Current 4 lanes with no center turn lane
Proposed 2 travel lanes with center turn lane and bicycle lanes
Sanger Ave: Valley Mills Dr to Harvey Ln
N 18th and N 19th Streets: Live Oak Ave to College Dr
The MPO staff also identified several other highway priorities during the
development of the MTP that could not be included due to fiscal
constraint. These projects are, nevertheless, considered important
priorities in order to address forecasted mobility needs but will require
funding outside of traditional state or federal sources. The following list
identifies these projects that are also identified on Map 4.2.
North Loop 3 4 0
SH 6 / Marlin Hwy to Williams Rd (Bellmead)
Widen to 4 lanes
West Loop 3 4 0
IH-35 to US 84 (Waco Dr)
Construct continuous frontage roads
Widen main lanes to 6 lanes
Speegleville Road
SH 6 to US 84
Widen to 4 lanes
Hewitt Drive (FM 1 6 9 5 )
US 84 to Sun Valley Rd (FM 2063)
Widen to 6 lanes
Steinbeck Bend Drive (FM 3 0 5 1 )
China Spring Rd to Lake Shore Dr
Widen to 4 lanes
Loop 5 7 4
Extension from LaSalle Ave to Marlin Hwy
Construct 4 lane boulevard
Reconstruct existing interchange of LaSalle Ave at Marlin Hwy
Chapel Road
Woodgate Dr to Old Lorena Rd (FM 2837)
Widen to 4 lanes
Ritchie Road
Panther Way to Hewitt Dr (FM 1695)
Widen to 4 lanes
Texas Central Parkway
US 84 to Imperial Dr
Widen to 4 lanes
MacArthur Drive
Park Lake Dr to Hillcrest Dr
Perform Road Diet
Stock
Clay Fuller bringing Lucky Duong to Waco.

Trib article
Yogi
Stock said:

Clay Fuller bringing Lucky Duong to Waco.

Trib article
Duong has crabs!!!
Craig Smoak
Staff
Really appreciate these updates from you UBBY and others who contribute as well.
SicEm365 Writer | Bearcast Host | 365 Sports Radio

Twitter: @CraigSmoak

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.