Waco Development

69,407 Views | 827 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wichitabear
Grinnin bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just guessing, but wonder if the SMU vs Baylor contrast on real estate profa is related.to the number/quality of real estate experts in Highland Parks vs Waco?

Still, Dyson is pretty inexcusable, imo. I also took a class with him. Sometimes it was nice.to have a blow off class in the midst of.other heavy coursework, but Dyson took it to a whole other level.
TXSVT

Dallas-based DBG Investments has secured a permit to build an eight-story Marriott Springhill Suites on Interstate 35, a development that will include a three-story parking garage and amenities that include a rooftop deck and bar.

The Waco Skyline Is Changing:
Permit Issued For 8-Story Waco Hotel On I-35
Dallas-based DBG Investments has secured a permit to build an eight-story Marriott Springhill Suites on Interstate 35, a development that will include a three-story parking garage and amenities that include a rooftop deck and bar.

The hotel will feature 133 suites and carries an estimated cost of $17.4 million, according to the permit. EP Construction of Oklahoma City will build the hotel at 115 S. Jack Kultgen Expressway, a site now occupied by Executive Inn and Suites, a budget hotel belonging to DBG that will be demolished. The Executive Inn is scheduled to close July 2.

"It is going to create quite a change in the skyline, towering over most everything there now," said Bobby Horner, inspections supervisor for the city of Waco. He said the city's Zoning Board of Adjustment voted unanimously to allow a variance for the hotel in a zoning category, C-3, that otherwise allows only four stories.

Horner compared the proposed height of the hotel to that of Clifton Robinson Tower at I-35 and University Parks Drive.

"There is a need for more hotel rooms, and this is a high-quality brand, an upgrade to what is there now," city planning director Clint Peters said. "The rooftop will provide a great view of the river, and the entire development should make an attractive addition."

He said the city asked developers to ensure that the architecture of the parking garage would blend with the look of the hotel.

"We also had them prepare mock-ups to illustrate the sight lines to ensure the garage would not detract from the view of the hotel from either the Baylor campus or downtown," Peters said.

Bear-0-Daktyl
Grinnin bear said:

Just guessing, but wonder if the SMU vs Baylor contrast on real estate profa is related.to the number/quality of real estate experts in Highland Parks vs Waco?

Still, Dyson is pretty inexcusable, imo. I also took a class with him. Sometimes it was nice.to have a blow off class in the midst of.other heavy coursework, but Dyson took it to a whole other level.
The problem with Dyson was that he was flaky as hell, but his class was by no means a blow off class.
BaylorGuy314
As far as downtown development, look for the following:

--Several existing local restaurateurs are opening brick-and-mortar presence.
--Class A office space is being built at 6th and Columbus.
--A new retail center will be going up on 8th near the Silos in the next 6 months. Think the same as Mary Avenue Market.
--Stratton Building is finalizing some state and federal funding that will turn it into a mixed use building with residential units up, restaurant down, and art center space on the mezzanine.
--There is a LaQuinta going in at I-35 and 12th street
--Two retail strips planned for I-35 near 10th/12th street.
Grinnin bear
BaylorGuy314 said:

As far as downtown development, look for the following:

--Several existing local restaurateurs are opening brick-and-mortar presence.
--Class A office space is being built at 6th and Columbus.
--A new retail center will be going up on 8th near the Silos in the next 6 months. Think the same as Mary Avenue Market.
--Stratton Building is finalizing some state and federal funding that will turn it into a mixed use building with residential units up, restaurant down, and art center space on the mezzanine.
--There is a LaQuinta going in at I-35 and 12th street
--Two retail strips planned for I-35 near 10th/12th street.

Wow

Plus, the whole Riverfront development

Plus, Hippodrome expansion

Plus, 8 story Marriott Springhill on I 35 and University Parks

Plus, Heritage Square proposal being considered

Plus, I-35 expansion starting maybe end of 2018.

Incredible momentum there!

And that is just Downtown. Lalani empire continues to expand along with several other things at I-35/Hwy 6.

Thanks 314.
Alan Lefever
All of my this stated after the Texas Baptist Historical Collection moved from Dallas to downtown Waco....coincidence? I think not!
Gunny Hartman
Alefever said:

All of my this stated after the Texas Baptist Historical Collection moved from Dallas to downtown Waco....coincidence? I think not!

It's like how whoever has the Ark of the Covenant in their possession will win the war
"Those who stay will be champions"

--William Barret Travis
Steely Dan
The new Spring Hill suites is a great location. Glad to finally see that old Texian Inn bite the dust. Hopefully the old La Quinta and the closed Dennys is next.
Volunteer
SSadler said:

BobbyPeru said:

BearMace said:

A Grateful Bear said:

So what brought the demise of the Waterworks, then? And is the building still capable of being refurbished, or beyond repair at this point?
It looks too far gone IMO. Which is a bummer.
I loved waterworks. However, I took a date there to eat one night and a rat ran under our table while we were eating. My date screamed so loud, everyone in the whole place got silent...you could hear a pin drop. Got a free meal out of it tho...and all we could drink at the bar that night. Fun times

. . . rats running under table = nightly occurence at "Pete's", an old greasy spoon burger joint that sat on the small parcel (now cleared greenspace) between I-35 and Brooks Hall arch back in the day (circa 1970).

Served lunches only; thus casual dates were often spent strolling over to the closed "Pete's" looking thru large window for nightly "coming out of the rats."

SNL "chee-burger, chee-burger, chee-burger" a very apt replica.

Yep, Pete's College Inn. And there was the Smokehouse home of the Big Bear (a chili-cheese hamburger) on 8th Street.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Smokehouse was good.

The Ivy Movie Theater, where Boyz in the Hood got the screen shot up.
BearForce
WILLIS said:

Gunny Hartman said:

WILLIS said:

UBBY said:

Greenbear said:

Never seen a city that needs hotels worse than Waco. In addition, I was at Cameron Park last week for the first time in 40 years. It was beautiful. Saw things in a different light than when I was a student. That park and surrounding area along the river should become prime real estate with the growth and expansion of Waco. Tons of old homes near downtown redone, but still some bad areas in Waco.
http://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/riverfront-proposal-for-chisholm-landing-near-mclane-stadium-clears-st/article_e077d093-1fb3-54e3-826e-bc846eab70a8.html

I wonder what happened to this?

Dyson happened to it.

What does this mean?

Had Dyson as a prof for real estate investments in 2011. What a joke he became after getting tenured. Miserable semester. Lots of stories about all his failed real estate ventures (condos in Cuba, student housing, etc)

So Dyson sucks...who knew
Steely Dan
Brian Ethridge said:

Saw Purple Rain there.
Tiny Elvis
NOVA Bear said:

I hate to disparage my BU, but I also went to grad school at SMU for two years. There are several stories like Dyson and Gould at Baylor. When I was at SMU we had a professor like that and several students complained. After about a month he was removed from the class and replaced with a top notch person. The Dean of the B school spoke to us and said that sort of thing was a weakness of the tenure system and SMU wouldn't tolerate folks that didn't focus on students as well as other pursuits. I had heard that this happened at SMU once every couple of years. I loved my education at Baylor and wouldn't trade it for anything, but I did find SMU more challenging because there were no profs who 'took time off' (other than the one guy who was ultimately removed and replaced).
-----
I went to SMU as well in the mid-90s, getting my MBA in the part-time program (nights and weekends). While I had my share of excellent professors, we also got our share of duds. We had one finance professor who had virtually no experience and used handwritten notes on the projector that weren't even his, but were from a class he had taken years earlier. He was so overwhelmed and disorganized that he was replaced mid-semester.

We also had an investments prof whose English was so poor, no one could understand what he was saying.

There were also a couple of Gould/Dyson types who taught IT classes who were well past their primes...technology had passed them by long ago and they were still there only because of tenure.

I found SMU more challenging, mainly because of more difficult subject matter since I was pursuing an advanced degree and it was tough at times, particularly because I was working full-time. But I didn't think SMU's faculty was any better than Baylor's.

Old300Bear
Someone has cleared out 3 or 4 buildings on the south side of Columbus at about 18th. No idea what is going in there. Also they are making progress on the old savings and loan bldg. on Austin Ave and a complete gut of the apartment building across the street. Also new duplexes and condos across Waco Drive on 5th and 6th.
beardoc
Volunteer said:

SSadler said:

BobbyPeru said:

BearMace said:

A Grateful Bear said:

So what brought the demise of the Waterworks, then? And is the building still capable of being refurbished, or beyond repair at this point?
It looks too far gone IMO. Which is a bummer.
I loved waterworks. However, I took a date there to eat one night and a rat ran under our table while we were eating. My date screamed so loud, everyone in the whole place got silent...you could hear a pin drop. Got a free meal out of it tho...and all we could drink at the bar that night. Fun times

. . . rats running under table = nightly occurence at "Pete's", an old greasy spoon burger joint that sat on the small parcel (now cleared greenspace) between I-35 and Brooks Hall arch back in the day (circa 1970).

Served lunches only; thus casual dates were often spent strolling over to the closed "Pete's" looking thru large window for nightly "coming out of the rats."

SNL "chee-burger, chee-burger, chee-burger" a very apt replica.

Yep, Pete's College Inn. And there was the Smokehouse home of the Big Bear (a chili-cheese hamburger) on 8th Street.
The Smokehouse across from Collins (before the fire) was my favorite greasy spoon joint of all time.
Volunteer
Tiny Elvis said:

NOVA Bear said:

I hate to disparage my BU, but I also went to grad school at SMU for two years. There are several stories like Dyson and Gould at Baylor. When I was at SMU we had a professor like that and several students complained. After about a month he was removed from the class and replaced with a top notch person. The Dean of the B school spoke to us and said that sort of thing was a weakness of the tenure system and SMU wouldn't tolerate folks that didn't focus on students as well as other pursuits. I had heard that this happened at SMU once every couple of years. I loved my education at Baylor and wouldn't trade it for anything, but I did find SMU more challenging because there were no profs who 'took time off' (other than the one guy who was ultimately removed and replaced).
-----
I went to SMU as well in the mid-90s, getting my MBA in the part-time program (nights and weekends). While I had my share of excellent professors, we also got our share of duds. We had one finance professor who had virtually no experience and used handwritten notes on the projector that weren't even his, but were from a class he had taken years earlier. He was so overwhelmed and disorganized that he was replaced mid-semester.

We also had an investments prof whose English was so poor, no one could understand what he was saying.

There were also a couple of Gould/Dyson types who taught IT classes who were well past their primes...technology had passed them by long ago and they were still there only because of tenure.

I found SMU more challenging, mainly because of more difficult subject matter since I was pursuing an advanced degree and it was tough at times, particularly because I was working full-time. But I didn't think SMU's faculty was any better than Baylor's.

In getting my MBA I had the same experience with a Finance professor. No doubt he was a smart guy, but his English was poor. Thankfully he was a good sport and knew we had trouble understanding him. At times, he even went so far as to write was he was trying to say on the whiteboard.
bularry
Steely Dan said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Saw Purple Rain there.

Saw The Golden Child with a packed house. My roommate and I were the only Caucasian people in the theater. RIP
bularry
NOVA Bear said:

I saw some fun bands at Waterworks. It was a great place.

I remember seeing stand up acts there, would have been 1989 I think. Go early before they started carding people and then get hammered
EZduzit
bularry said:

NOVA Bear said:

I remember seeing stand up acts there, would have been 1989 I think. Go early before they started carding people and then get hammered

When I was pledging in 1979, Wednesday night was 3-for-1 night at Waterworks and I was required to go listen to a member's band play at Waterworks on a Wednesday night. I foolishly ordered a hurricane (drinking age was 18 then). Almost didn't make it home.
Bahamabear
Seeing The Killer B's at Waterworks, awesome.

David Garza was great too
HalibutRetro
Another restaurant chain, Walk-On's Bistreaux & Bar, coming to Legends Crossing. Drew Brees is an investor.

Never heard of it before. Curious how it does. Opening in the summer.

NFL star's restaurant franchise to "walk" into Waco

Quote:

WACO, Texas (KWTX) NFL star Drew Brees is opening a new restaurant in Waco, bringing about 200 jobs along with it.

Baton Rouge-based Walk-On's Bistreaux & Bar will be located across from the Legend's Crossing Development at the Crosslake Parkway and Legend Lake Parkway intersection.

"I'm ecstatic to be expanding the Walk-On's brand across the Lone Star state," Waco franchise owner, John Qubty said in a press release.

The restaurant will serve Louisiana-style cuisine in a sporty, family-friendly atmosphere.

"We're particularly excited about the location of our first Waco restaurant," said Walk-On's co-founder Brandon Landry.

"Waco is a huge sports town and we know the community will love Walk-On's spirit and game day atmosphere."

The quarterback for the New Orleans Saints and his wife Britney Brees bought into the franchise in May of 2015.

Representatives from Walk-On's and the Texas franchise group are hosting a ceremonial groundbreaking in Waco Thursday morning.

The 8,500 square foot restaurant is scheduled to open early next summer.

There are currently 15 Walk-On's locations in Louisiana and Texas with more than 100 locations across 15 states in the works.

"Walk-On's has become one of the fastest growing franchises in the country," the press release stated.
Joecool114
Just a mid semester update, The Containery is hopelessly behind schedule and now is projected to open in Aug 2018. The Franklin Square development is going strong and they're putting in a food hall with 3 restaurants and 20+ other vendors under one building with live music and stuff. It's right next to my apartment and I'm kind of excited they went this route. Great space for it and will fit well into the Magnolia bubble. The Pie Peddlers place is doing a lot better now and the owner is finally no longer working open to close so I'm glad for her, seeing a ton more foot traffic from Silos past the railroad tracks into downtown because of that spot. The 2 riverfront developments are going ahead but they're still doing cleanup/utilities work it seems. But the lots they have on the other side of u Parks has been going full steam ahead. Other than that we should see a big round of new places open up early 2018 if schedules stay true. Also Waco now has a Chick fil a food truck so that's a thing now
Gunny Hartman
Joecool114 said:

Just a mid semester update, The Containery is hopelessly behind schedule and now is projected to open in Aug 2018. The Franklin Square development is going strong and they're putting in a food hall with 3 restaurants and 20+ other vendors under one building with live music and stuff. It's right next to my apartment and I'm kind of excited they went this route. Great space for it and will fit well into the Magnolia bubble. The Pie Peddlers place is doing a lot better now and the owner is finally no longer working open to close so I'm glad for her, seeing a ton more foot traffic from Silos past the railroad tracks into downtown because of that spot. The 2 riverfront developments are going ahead but they're still doing cleanup/utilities work it seems. But the lots they have on the other side of u Parks has been going full steam ahead. Other than that we should see a big round of new places open up early 2018 if schedules stay true. Also Waco now has a Chick fil a food truck so that's a thing now

You should consider going into real estate. When I was a Baylor student about the most detail I could give you regarding surrounding businesses was whether they served beer and whiskey or not.
WILLIS
Gunny Hartman said:

Joecool114 said:

You should consider going into real estate. When I was a Baylor student about the most detail I could give you regarding surrounding businesses was whether they served beer and whiskey or not.

We had a happy hour and restaurant special pledge that had to go around get the scoop across town for all the deals.

Thanks Joecool. Love reading Waco updates. I'm curious to hear more about that new office building. Sounds like a dream to me but would love to be surprised.
WILLIS
And I guess move to bear cave
Gunny Hartman
WILLIS said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Joecool114 said:

We had a happy hour and restaurant special pledge that had to go around get the scoop across town for all the deals.

This is proof positive that Delt is the most creative and scholarly fraternity that contributes the most to the human social condition
Ludwig von Missi
Gunny Hartman said:

WILLIS said:

Gunny Hartman said:

Joecool114 said:

This is proof positive that Delt is the most creative and scholarly fraternity that contributes the most to the human social condition
But can y'all sing and dance?
IASIP Rocks
Craig Smoak was talking about Walk-On's yesterday on UNR. Said it's awesome. He also mentioned that a PF Changs is coming. Maybe that's old news to y'all, but if that's true I'll be very impressed with little Waco.

Edit: It really is true. Opening next summer.

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/p-f-chang-s-to-open-restaurant-in-legends-crossing/article_fccb8854-39dc-59c2-8d44-c7443a027df9.html
1outawayBear
IASIP Rocks said:

Craig Smoak was talking about Walk-On's yesterday on UNR. Said it's awesome. He also mentioned that a PF Changs is coming. Maybe that's old news to y'all, but if that's true I'll be very impressed with little Waco.

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/p-f-chang-s-to-open-restaurant-in-legends-crossing/article_fccb8854-39dc-59c2-8d44-c7443a027df9.html

I had heard of both, but what Craig said that was new to me is that Drew Brees is the one in charge of bringing the walk on to Waco.
GoldenBear03
LTCBear said:

IASIP Rocks said:

DCraig Smoak was talking about Walk-On's yesterday on UNR. Said it's awesome. He also mentioned that a PF Changs is coming. Maybe that's old news to y'all, but if that's true I'll be very impressed with little Waco.

I had heard of both, but what Craig said that was new to me is that Drew Brees is the one in charge of bringing the walk on to Waco.
What I read is that Walk On's is Brees' restaurant, but that someone else is franchising it in Waco. Of course, that doesn't mean that Brees wasn't behind the excitement to come here.
1outawayBear
GoldenBear03 said:

LTCBear said:

IASIP Rocks said:

DCraig Smoak was talking about Walk-On's yesterday on UNR. Said it's awesome. He also mentioned that a PF Changs is coming. Maybe that's old news to y'all, but if that's true I'll be very impressed with little Waco.

What I read is that Walk On's is Brees' restaurant, but that someone else is franchising it in Waco. Of course, that doesn't mean that Brees wasn't behind the excitement to come here.

Ah I see
Ludwig von Missi
I once went up to Drew Brees and asked him if he was Reid Brees' brother. He laughed and confirmed that he was in fact Reid Brees' brother. Asked him for his autograph and had him sign it Reid Brees' brother. He loved it...probably a nice change of pace from the same ole same ole.

/csb
Bearicade
bularry said:

NOVA Bear said:

Saw Rodney Carrington there when he was a nobody. Greatness
I know you believe you understand what I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
IASIP Rocks
Crash Davis said:

I once went up to Drew Brees and asked him if he was Reid Brees' brother. He laughed and confirmed that he was in fact Reid Brees' brother. Asked him for his autograph and had him sign it Reid Brees' brother. He loved it...probably a nice change of pace from the same ole same ole.

/csb
That's hilarious
UBBY
[url=http://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/downtown-office-project-holds-promise-raises-questions-of-demand/article_3371fde6-34fe-515c-a59f-975f2feb970f.html][/url]http://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/downtown-office-project-holds-promise-raises-questions-of-demand/article_3371fde6-34fe-515c-a59f-975f2feb970f.html

Here is a bit of an update on the Heritage Square Proposal.

Details of the Heritage Square Development Plan. I don't know if it's feasible but it's interesting nonetheless. The biggest building downtown is Clifton Robinson Tower at 144,800 sq. ft. The proposed 8 story building would be 196,000 sq. ft. The proposed 15 story building would dwarf them all and be 330,000 sq. ft. This project alone would equal about 13% of the total office space that is currently downtown. This project would allow for larger tenants than Waco has had before. It could also entice students who graduate from Baylor, TSTC and MCC to find higher paying jobs in the Waco market. They could also have lower class A office space prices than Austin and Dallas. Civic Center officials say they expect to charge rents somewhere between the high end of Waco offices today and the going rate in Dallas and Austin. Class A space in Waco is $20.76. The average rental rate of Austin and Dallas are $36.45 and $30.00. Just the fact that this is being seriously considered along with other projects shows how far downtown Waco has come along.

I don't think this next part was discussed in the article but there is even more future development in the works according to what I saw in the City Council Presentation. These future projects includes 5 buildings that each have a square footage of: 96,000, 72,000, 96,000, 97,000 98,000. Also not included is 25,000 sq. ft. of parking garage space and expansion of the Convention center but I couldn't find much info on it.

All of these new projects together would equal 1,016,000 sq. ft. of new facitilities. I'm not 100% sure if all of the buildings would be for office space or not. I doubt it all gets done but it's fun to think about.

Here is a link to the City council Presentation.
[url=https://www.scribd.com/document/358201432/City-Council-Presentation-Civic-Center#fullscreen&from_embed][/url]https://www.scribd.com/document/358201432/City-Council-Presentation-Civic-Center#fullscreen&from_embed

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.