Waco Development

70,567 Views | 827 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wichitabear
EnglishBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maybe 'Mardi Gras by Marriott'?
WILLIS
Wacolegend said:

I saw the pitch designs the other day.

LOVE.

Hadn't seen this thread in awhile so I went back to the beginning.
GhettoHEBear
Yogi said:

New pic of proposed Brazos Commons development on the river. I would have thought the hotel would overlook the river. Cool rendering, though.

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/mclennan_county/riverfront-developer-seeks-money-from-county/article_d6f14907-0667-5475-877c-77941a83d921.html

Oh sweet. Waco is getting a hip new boutique Drury hotel.

At least it isn't some soulless chain.
Baylor Mafioso
Craig Smoak
Staff
Apparently, the Drury pulled out of the development earlier this week so now the entire project is on hold and they're in search of another hotel.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Craig Smoak said:

Apparently, the Drury pulled out of the development earlier this week so now the entire project is on hold and they're in search of another hotel.
Just at the Farmer's Market location, right?
Craig Smoak
Staff
Brian Ethridge said:

Craig Smoak said:

Just at the Farmer's Market location, right?
What I read said the entire $130M Brazos Commons project was now on hold and the Drury was to be located next to Robinson Tower. That was from the Trib this past weekend.
Old300Bear
On KWTX tonight, they reported that Drury pulling out will not sidetrack the project. Said they have received interest from 4 other hotel chains. Intimated that they might be better hotels.
Fred Barber
Yogi
Old300Bear said:

On KWTX tonight, they reported that Drury pulling out will not sidetrack the project. Said they have received interest from 4 other hotel chains. Intimated that they might be better hotels.
Correct. The project is looking at other options.

Part of the benefit package from the city requires the hotel to pay a minimum wage of $12/ hr.

Drury balked at the minimum wage provision because they could not make it work in their cost of doing business estimates.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Bobby Tables
Btw, what brand is/was planning on going where the America's Best Value was? Supposedly going to have a rooftop pool or something. Name is escaping me.
BearForce
DaBears said:

Btw, what brand is/was planning on going where the America's Best Value was? Supposedly going to have a rooftop pool or something. Name is escaping me.

Omni?
Coyote Bear
DaBears said:

SpringHill Suites.
Craig Smoak
Staff
Old300Bear said:

Thanks for clearing that up. Great news.
Old300Bear
Craig, initial report made it sound like it was dead
Fred Barber
Craig Smoak
Staff
Old300Bear said:

Craig, initial report made it sound like it was dead

That's how it read to me too. Really interested to see how it all comes together.
Old300Bear
It is all a matter of time. Too much positive momentum.
Fred Barber
WILLIS
Old300Bear said:

http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Waco--More-hotels-interested-Brazos-Commons-developers-say-473990053.html
Grinnin bear
No longer on the river? Well, what is the point then?
- Sometimes you just gotta grin and bear it.
Wacolegend
I'm just glad they aren't ignoring the Richland mall area of town.

Fire Mack Rhoades. Ban all faculty yes-men.
GhettoHEBear
Maybe Tam O'Shanter could make a comeback there?
Baylor Mafioso
Bear-0-Daktyl
Grinnin bear said:

Say whaaaa?!
UBBY
Grinnin bear said:

Did they say they were moving the entire project? I took it as they meant that some of the buildings will be across the street on University Parks that you don't see in the rendering they have on the video. The Brazos Promenade will have bulidings on the edge of the river and the Brazos Commons will have buildings right behind and to the side of the Promenade project. It's still going to be right along the river right next to the Clifton Robinson Tower they just worded it weirdly.
UBBY
http://retailstreetadvisors.com/uploads/pdfs/BrazosPromenade_031017.pdf

If you go about a third to halfway down on this illustration you can see the Commons project in gray. Some of the Commons and Promenade buildings will both be across the street.
Grinnin bear
Gotcha. Makes better sense that way.
- Sometimes you just gotta grin and bear it.
BearN
Chip and Jo don't have enough projects going on. Maybe it's time they try their hand at a Magnolia Hotel. They can take over Drury's spot.
Yogi
BaylorGuy314 said:

Grinnin bear said:

314, what are your odds on this thing taking shape?

Also, any updates on the River development for those of us who unfortunately cannot see it everyday?

Odds of it getting developed? Very high. To what extent is a better question.

No matter what happens, it will take some time. The City wants something substantial there and this is going to take years to put together.

Riverfront is moving along, as BankerBear said. Just a lot of site work regarding cleanup to happen first before you'll notice anything of note going vertical.
Oddly enough, a lot of it is buried garbage and debris from the time of the 53 tornado. They had quite a bit of stuff they had to remove back then and didn't have a place to put it. The river wasn't seen as a tourist asset back then, and there would have just been some unusable floodplain at that location at that time. Since they did not foresee that anyone would ever want to build on that land, it became a fill for a short time - and that fill followed up through the Baylor campus out to the Ferrell Center.
Yogi
BearN said:

Chip and Jo don't have enough projects going on. Maybe it's time they try their hand at a Magnolia Hotel. They can take over Drury's spot.
Imagine it: 11 stories of gray shiplap with black trim...
Yogi
DaBears said:

Rooftop bar. It will have a direct view of McLane.
BCL79
SSadler said:

BobbyPeru said:

BearMace said:

A Grateful Bear said:

So what brought the demise of the Waterworks, then? And is the building still capable of being refurbished, or beyond repair at this point?
It looks too far gone IMO. Which is a bummer.
I loved waterworks. However, I took a date there to eat one night and a rat ran under our table while we were eating. My date screamed so loud, everyone in the whole place got silent...you could hear a pin drop. Got a free meal out of it tho...and all we could drink at the bar that night. Fun times

. . . rats running under table = nightly occurence at "Pete's", an old greasy spoon burger joint that sat on the small parcel (now cleared greenspace) between I-35 and Brooks Hall arch back in the day (circa 1970).

Served lunches only; thus casual dates were often spent strolling over to the closed "Pete's" looking thru large window for nightly "coming out of the rats."

SNL "chee-burger, chee-burger, chee-burger" a very apt replica.

Now, now, don't be bad mouthin' Pete's. During my time, '75 to '79, Pete was open at night. I was on the Pete Dris meal plan! BTW, Pete passed away about a year ago I believe. He was a GREAT guy. Especially since he had to put up with all us college guys. You know, didn't see many women in that place ....
BCL79
Stock said:

I see your Jackopierce and raise with some Soulhat and a little bit of Dirty Crabber.
OK, I'll see that and raise you "Rosewood" and "Trout Fishing in America"
beardoc
Old BF'ers will remember a poster named Grillrat, named for a similar occurrence back in the '70's. Wonder whatever happened to him.
Moondoggie
Brian Ethridge said:

Bahamabear said:

TREX said:

Bring back Waterworks!!

Yes, and the Killer B's while at it, maybe even David Garza

Oh my... No love for The Spin or Jack O' Pierce?

Man I wish I had bought a The Spin cd at Hastings on south Valley Mills back then, Brian. Nobody rocked Scruff's like The Spin. Loved it when the lead guitarist and bass player switched instruments on the last set.

Let's forget Phil Prichett as well(did I spell that right.

And Little Sister at Buzzard Billys.

You know, Emory still works the kitchen at scruff's. Anyone remember Emory?
BearlyHeardFrom
Billy goat was fun too. Buddy of mine broke his leg stage diving during one of their shows.... so it wasn't so fun for him.

The Spin actually put their music on Spotify this past fall around their reunion so it's available for a stroll down memory lane.
Jackson Bear
Yogi said:

DaBears said:

Rooftop bar. It will have a direct view of McLane.
Springhill suites.
Yogi
pitchman said:

Brian Ethridge said:

Bahamabear said:

TREX said:

Bring back Waterworks!!

Yes, and the Killer B's while at it, maybe even David Garza

Oh my... No love for The Spin or Jack O' Pierce?

Man I wish I had bought a The Spin cd at Hastings on south Valley Mills back then, Brian. Nobody rocked Scruff's like The Spin. Loved it when the lead guitarist and bass player switched instruments on the last set.

Let's forget Phil Prichett as well(did I spell that right.

And Little Sister at Buzzard Billys.

You know, Emory still works the kitchen at scruff's. Anyone remember Emory?
Anybody else remember Pat Kelly and D'Javaheads?
Bahamabear
BearlyHeardFrom said:

Billy goat was fun too. Buddy of mine broke his leg stage diving during one of their shows.... so it wasn't so fun for him.

The Spin actually put their music on Spotify this past fall around their reunion so it's available for a stroll down memory lane.

I remember I bought a Billy Goat tee at a concert, it said "eff more, ***** less"

Such a rebel

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.