Waco Development

70,519 Views | 827 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wichitabear
WILLIS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Really should be a priority for Waco's leaders to get a second flight going to the Houston airports. I'd bet a SWA flight to Hobby airport would do well. Opens the door for a lot of different travel options for people living in Waco and others trying to get to Waco. With 250,000 people in McLennan County and a healthy 10-15+% growth rate over the last 4 decades, I'm kinda surprised this hasn't already happened. Didn't there used to be flights to IAH?
Bobby Tables
WILLIS said:

Really should be a priority for Waco's leaders to get a second flight going to the Houston airports. I'd bet a SWA flight to Hobby airport would do well. Opens the door for a lot of different travel options for people living in Waco and others trying to get to Waco. With 250,000 people in McLennan County and a healthy 10-15+% growth rate over the last 4 decades, I'm kinda surprised this hasn't already happened. Didn't there used to be flights to IAH?

Used to be a Continental/United connection to Bush. Would love to have that back.
BearlyHeardFrom
Bahamabear said:

BearlyHeardFrom said:

Billy goat was fun too. Buddy of mine broke his leg stage diving during one of their shows.... so it wasn't so fun for him.

The Spin actually put their music on Spotify this past fall around their reunion so it's available for a stroll down memory lane.

I remember I bought a Billy Goat tee at a concert, it said "eff more, ***** less"

Such a rebel
I remember those shirts. Those were almost as good as the ones from Loco Gringos "**** you, we're from Texas.'
Tuegel
I know that Waco Regional was updating/repaving a lot of the taxiways and aprons in the past 2-3 years. The thought was to finish those improvements and then make a push for a second carrier.

I would assume the improvements are done now (haven't flown out of ACT in a while) so hopefully they'll make some progress on getting United back or some other airline in.
Yogi
Tuegel said:

I know that Waco Regional was updating/repaving a lot of the taxiways and aprons in the past 2-3 years. The thought was to finish those improvements and then make a push for a second carrier.

I would assume the improvements are done now (haven't flown out of ACT in a while) so hopefully they'll make some progress on getting United back or some other airline in.
I think Central Texas missed the mark as a whole when Waco renovated and Killeen built a new terminal.

Just like other closely located mid-sized city clusters, it would be better for the whole if the area where served by one airport instead of two. It would draw travelers from Williamson to Hill Counties and would likely bring in 3 extra airlines.

Waco is down to one airline, and I believe that Killeen is down to two. (That stinks when you have an airport with six gates).
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Bearly
I think Killeen is down to one airline. Didn't they lose Delta?
Old300Bear
Not sure on the year but when the airlines were going to the smaller commuter planes, Amarillo thought it would be detrimental to the development of the area to lose out on regular air service. They paid American Airlines (I think) $1million per year to insure that regular jet service remained.
People are used to commuter jets now and that part is no longer a factor. It might be worth looking into subsidizing American, United, and Delta to ensure decent connections to both Dallas and Houston to enhance growth of industry and white collar jobs.
Is there commuter service that flies to Love?
Not sure if it is possible but if it is, Waco needs a stop on the high speed rail.
Fred Barber
Bobby Tables
Bearly said:

They did. Still have American and United, though.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
Old300Bear said:

Not sure on the year but when the airlines were going to the smaller commuter planes, Amarillo thought it would be detrimental to the development of the area to lose out on regular air service. They paid American Airlines (I think) $1million per year to insure that regular jet service remained.
People are used to commuter jets now and that part is no longer a factor. It might be worth looking into subsidizing American, United, and Delta to ensure decent connections to both Dallas and Houston to enhance growth of industry and white collar jobs.
Is there commuter service that flies to Love?
Not sure if it is possible but if it is, Waco needs a stop on the high speed rail.
High speed will have a stop in Grimes county that has travel to A&M, but nothing planned in Waco as it is on the I-45 corridor, not I-35 at this point.
TXSVT
This will be in Woodway near Badger Ranch, property adjacent to Midway ISD offices

http://imgur.com/a/KngFP
Wade
Baylor Bear Foundation Board of Directors
Yogi
Bearly said:

United still flies out of Killeen to H-Town.
Bearicade
What was the name of that restaurant on top of the hill by MCC?
I know you believe you understand what I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
BaylorBJM
WILLIS said:

Waco won't have an SWA for at least ten years.
EnglishBear
Bearicade said:

What was the name of that restaurant on top of the hill by MCC?
Northwood Inn. I believe it's now owned by MCC.
Fair&Balanced
Craig Smoak said:

Old300Bear said:

On KWTX tonight, they reported that Drury pulling out will not sidetrack the project. Said they have received interest from 4 other hotel chains. Intimated that they might be better hotels.

Drury was to build an 11 story convention hotel. They reevaluated and downgraded the project. The developers said no thanks and will look for another hotel. When they first agreed on the Drury, it was the best hotel they could get interested. Now with the other development in Waco, they think they can do better.
jrstrat
Fair & Balanced said:

Craig Smoak said:

Old300Bear said:

On KWTX tonight, they reported that Drury pulling out will not sidetrack the project. Said they have received interest from 4 other hotel chains. Intimated that they might be better hotels.

Drury was to build an 11 story convention hotel. They reevaluated and downgraded the project. The developers said no thanks and will look for another hotel. When they first agreed on the Drury, it was the best hotel they could get interested. Now with the other development in Waco, they think they can do better.
Are the developers still Beard and Sheldon?
Bobby Tables
http://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/cleanup-done-at-city-riverfront-site-million-under-budget/article_a744a1c5-019c-567f-b6e9-ed2233acd9f1.html
Knight Bear
BearlyHeardFrom said:

Billy goat was fun too. Buddy of mine broke his leg stage diving during one of their shows.... so it wasn't so fun for him.

The Spin actually put their music on Spotify this past fall around their reunion so it's available for a stroll down Laurel Lane.

FIFY
Brian Ethridge
Staff
jrstrat said:

Fair & Balanced said:

Craig Smoak said:

Old300Bear said:

Are the developers still Beard and Sheldon?
Yes, according to articles they are the developers.
Brian Ethridge
Staff
DaBears said:

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/cleanup-done-at-city-riverfront-site-million-under-budget/article_a744a1c5-019c-567f-b6e9-ed2233acd9f1.html
That is rare
Tenacious D
Development or not, I know of multiple people here in Chicago and in other parts of the US that have gone, or plan to travel to Waco. And it is for one reason (sorry, not to catch a game at Baylor) and I am sure you all know what that reason is.

So there are people coming to Waco already...and to further development & enhance that downtown & riverfront will only make it more pleasant for out of towners.
Volunteer
Yogi said:

Tuegel said:

I think Central Texas missed the mark as a whole when Waco renovated and Killeen built a new terminal.

Just like other closely located mid-sized city clusters, it would be better for the whole if the area where served by one airport instead of two. It would draw travelers from Williamson to Hill Counties and would likely bring in 3 extra airlines.

Waco is down to one airline, and I believe that Killeen is down to two. (That stinks when you have an airport with six gates).
Yep. Having one Central Texas airport would have been great. An ideal location would have been somewhere just north of Belton where there is plenty of land. Such a location would have been convenient to Waco, Temple, Belton, Killeen, and Copperas Cove. I agree that it would have likely drawn some passengers from Williamson and Lampasas counties as well. The population of McLennan and Bell counties is somewhere near 600,000 so I think such a regional facility could be supported.

A great example of communities working together for the common good is the Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport. Too bad our communities seem to be determined to work independently.
UBBY
DaBears said:

Good news! I thought I had read another article where this might be the case. Now they can spend on something else, maybe for the Civic Center project since it's going to be pretty massive and costly. It would be huge for Waco to get more class A offices downtown.

The main building is 330,000 sq. ft. The Alico building is 135,000 sq. ft.

BearForce
Volunteer said:

Yogi said:

Tuegel said:

Yep. Having one Central Texas airport would have been great. An ideal location would have been somewhere just north of Belton where there is plenty of land. Such a location would have been convenient to Waco, Temple, Belton, Killeen, and Copperas Cove. I agree that it would have likely drawn some passengers from Williamson and Lampasas counties as well. The population of McLennan and Bell counties is somewhere near 600,000 so I think such a regional facility could be supported.

A great example of communities working together for the common good is the Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport. Too bad our communities seem to be determined to work independently.

Well to be somewhat fair, in the case of Killeen they were leveraging being able to use West Fort Hood Army Airfield which already has a great runway and facilities so I can't blame them for that.

If Waco weren't already heavily invested in Waco Regional, it could have done the same at TSTC.
WILLIS
TSTC's got the 8600 ft runway for the big gals
Tuegel
It's also way more convenient to I-35, but alas, to KACT we must go.
Yogi
Volunteer said:

Yogi said:

Tuegel said:

Winston Salem High Point is another great example in North Carolina.
BearForce
WILLIS said:

TSTC's got the 8600 ft runway for the big gals

Exactly, which is why L3 has such a big operation out there.
ButterflyFX
What do we have to do to get a Pappadeaux"s?
#45 Bryson Jackson, LB, 6'2" 211 lbs
2020 Graduate, Mansfield, TX
GP -:13, Tackles - 7 (3 solo)
Yogi
ButterflyFX said:

My guess would be to add another 150,000 to the metro and/or improve the per capita income.
GhettoHEBear
Tenacious D said:

Development or not, I know of multiple people here in Chicago and in other parts of the US that have gone, or plan to travel to Waco. And it is for one reason (sorry, not to catch a game at Baylor) and I am sure you all know what that reason is.

So there are people coming to Waco already...and to further development & enhance that downtown & riverfront will only make it more pleasant for out of towners.
True. But their show is done. And shiplap, big wall clocks, and cutesy hand painted signs won't be in style forever. It's a cultural sensation for women everywhere but in a few years Chips 'n JoJo are gonna be a trivia question.
Baylor Mafioso
EnglishBear
Yogi said:

ButterflyFX said:

My guess would be to add another 150,000 to the metro and/or improve the per capita income.
This appears to be dead-on. The smallest city to have a Pappadeaux is Beaumont, which has a metro area of around 380k. Waco metro checks in around 230k.
Beardown1919
May have been on another thread, but someone had mentioned that the proposed office space development potentially already had a tenant in mind. From what I recall they had hunted it maybe AT&T.

Am I making this up completely? It just triggered when I saw Waco was one of three cities to first get 5G.
Yogi
EnglishBear said:

Yogi said:

ButterflyFX said:

This appears to be dead-on. The smallest city to have a Pappadeaux is Beaumont, which has a metro area of around 380k. Waco metro checks in around 230k.
The Waco MSA is actually at 270,000 now since they added Falls County to the Waco MSA.

But, the Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood MSA is now at about 460,000. (Though I doubt Pappas will open anything in the MSA anytime soon because the majority of that population is still under the per capita income Pappas is looking for.)
Gunny Hartman
EnglishBear said:

Yogi said:

ButterflyFX said:

Nah it's because #409

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.