Waco Development

70,554 Views | 827 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wichitabear
Old300Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We are supposedly getting a boutique hotel where the old ice plant was at 11th & Webster. They are doing some demo at that site.
Fred Barber
bankerbear
Big Box Brands = higher ROI on investor's Capital. Easy as that.
UBBY
Tiny Elvis said:

I hate to give the Aggies too much credit but IMO, we should be taking a look at what they're doing with a couple of boutique hotels: The Stella and The George (obviously named after the elder Bush)

The George is on University Dr. close to campus and also has an upscale restaurant named Poppy (the grandkids' nickname for him), a bar, a steakhouse, a pizza place called Blaze, a Hopdoddy's, a candy store and an ice cream store.

The Stella is a little off the beaten path out near Easterwood Airport. Another modern upscale hotel with a separate bar/live music area and a Campfire restaurant.

Not sure why Waco is so enamored with hotel chains like Drury Inn instead of pursuing smaller, albeit more upscale options like these boutique hotels.
Hopdoddy's is damn good. I know people hate the idea of copying other cities but I would try to hit the entertainment scene more heavily in Waco. Things like Topgolf, Dave and Busters. I don't even know of any dance clubs in Waco for college kids. I know they're trying to get more live music downtown and more live performances at the Hippodrome since they've added theaters onto the building. BSR has been a nice hit and is adding a surf pool to be opened this summer. They need to add a zip line course somewhere out there to go along with the zip line skiing they currently have.

Does anyone have any other ideas for entertainment?
Bill Blazejowski
Quote:

I don't even know of any dance clubs in Waco for college kids.

DV8
baylrballa
Main event.
Weston Rogers
UBBY said:

Tiny Elvis said:

I hate to give the Aggies too much credit but IMO, we should be taking a look at what they're doing with a couple of boutique hotels: The Stella and The George (obviously named after the elder Bush)

The George is on University Dr. close to campus and also has an upscale restaurant named Poppy (the grandkids' nickname for him), a bar, a steakhouse, a pizza place called Blaze, a Hopdoddy's, a candy store and an ice cream store.

The Stella is a little off the beaten path out near Easterwood Airport. Another modern upscale hotel with a separate bar/live music area and a Campfire restaurant.

Not sure why Waco is so enamored with hotel chains like Drury Inn instead of pursuing smaller, albeit more upscale options like these boutique hotels.
Hopdoddy's is damn good. I know people hate the idea of copying other cities but I would try to hit the entertainment scene more heavily in Waco. Things like Topgolf, Dave and Busters. I don't even know of any dance clubs in Waco for college kids. I know they're trying to get more live music downtown and more live performances at the Hippodrome since they've added theaters onto the building. BSR has been a nice hit and is adding a surf pool to be opened this summer. They need to add a zip line course somewhere out there to go along with the zip line skiing they currently have.

Top Golf is still trying to saturate large markets in the US, so I would say Waco probably isn't in their thought process right now.

A few years ago Dave and Busters would be a pipe dream in Waco, their own published info says they require a metro area with minimum 700K-1MM daytime population for a D&B location. However they are now trying out a smaller format store in places like Rogers, AR and Madison, WI which both have metro areas of about 250K.

The new proposed shopping center at the NE corner of 35/6 would be a perfect location for a D&B as an anchor.
Bobby Tables
I agree re: TopGolf. Only two locations comparable to Waco are Huntsville, AL and Myrtle Beach. One is a tourist city, and the other (probably both) has more disposable income than Waco and Bell County.
UBBY
Weston Rogers said:

UBBY said:

Tiny Elvis said:

Top Golf is still trying to saturate large markets in the US, so I would say Waco probably isn't in their thought process right now.

A few years ago Dave and Busters would be a pipe dream in Waco, their own published info says they require a metro area with minimum 700K-1MM daytime population for a D&B location. However they are now trying out a smaller format store in places like Rogers, AR and Madison, WI which both have metro areas of about 250K.

The new proposed shopping center at the NE corner of 35/6 would be a perfect location for a D&B as an anchor.
I guess I didn't realize the market size those companies are looking for. I understand entertainment venues aren't the city's main priority; I just feel that those types of projects always get put to the side and are never a main focus of the city like retail and restaurants are. There are ideas I've heard of like having trivia night at different restaurants around town for entertainment that's cheap and easy. Maybe these ideas haven't been brought up to the city council.
Bodhibear
I thought I saw that they recently opened a new E-gaming business downtown, right? Last time I was in town I also saw a rather large laser tag facility out near the mall. It's not much but it is entertainment-based
UBBY
Bodhibear said:

I thought I saw that they recently opened a new E-gaming business downtown, right? Last time I was in town I also saw a rather large laser tag facility out near the mall. It's not much but it is entertainment-based
The only laser tag place I know of is at Skateworld since Doc & Laddy's is no longer around.
jbbear
Yogi said:

lankylefty said:

Any updates on the 8-story SpingHill Suites near I35 and University Parks?

That one is gonna be a pretty good addition to downtown/campus area.
I will take a pic of the construction site next time I am in Waco.

Right now, building permit has been issued and concrete ready to be poured.
Is this behind the old Jack in the Box?
Bodhibear
UBBY said:

Bodhibear said:

The only laser tag place I know of is at Skateworld since Doc & Laddy's is no longer around.

I don't know. We were headed out to Hewitt to check out the midway area (I'm trying to convince the wife and kids to move back to Texas).We saw a large facility that had laser tag but I don't know if it's still open.
trey3216
UBBY said:

Weston Rogers said:

UBBY said:

Tiny Elvis said:

I guess I didn't realize the market size those companies are looking for. I understand entertainment venues aren't the city's main priority; I just feel that those types of projects always get put to the side and are never a main focus of the city like retail and restaurants are. There are ideas I've heard of like having trivia night at different restaurants around town for entertainment that's cheap and easy. Maybe these ideas haven't been brought up to the city council.
There are at least 5 places I know of that do trivia nights in Waco.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
UBBY
trey3216 said:

UBBY said:

Weston Rogers said:

UBBY said:

Tiny Elvis said:

Nice, which places?
trey3216
UBBY said:

trey3216 said:

UBBY said:

Weston Rogers said:

UBBY said:

Tiny Elvis said:

Nice, which places?
True Love Tues. Barnett's and Crickets( I believe) Wednesday. And a few other small places on Wed/Thurs nights.

1outawayBear
trey3216 said:

UBBY said:

trey3216 said:

UBBY said:

Weston Rogers said:

UBBY said:

Tiny Elvis said:

Nice, which places?
True Love Tues. Barnett's and Crickets( I believe) Wednesday. And a few other small places on Wed/Thurs nights.

Wife and i hit up barnetts for easter brunch. the buffet was excellent!
HalibutRetro
lankylefty said:

trey3216
1outawayBear said:

trey3216 said:

UBBY said:

trey3216 said:

UBBY said:

Weston Rogers said:

UBBY said:

Tiny Elvis said:

Nice, which places?

Wife and i hit up barnetts for easter brunch. the buffet was excellent!
The brunch is always awesome, but the buffets just set it off
Yogi
jbbear said:

Yogi said:

lankylefty said:

I will take a pic of the construction site next time I am in Waco.

Right now, building permit has been issued and concrete ready to be poured.
Is this behind the old Jack in the Box?
Yes. Between that and Twisted Root.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
Yogi
UBBY said:

Tiny Elvis said:

I don't know since they have closed most of the massage parlors around town...

Yogi
HalibutRetro said:

lankylefty said:

Update on the Springhill Suites.

City Council just recently issued a permit for a four story parking garage.
UBBY
Population stats:

I am basing this off of if 2016 estimates continue through 2020 since it's the most current data I could find.

Estimated population growth from 2000-2020 for Waco, China Spring, Robinson and Hewitt.

C.S. - 2,704 (2020 total population - 6,283) 2000 - 3,579

Robinson - 4,304 (2020 total population 12,149) 2000 - 7,845

Hewitt - 3752 (2020 total population 14,837) 2000 - 11,085

Waco - 16,045 (2020 total population 140,850) 2000 - 113,726

Waco Metropolitan Statistical Area - Around 275,000

I was surprised to see Robinson ahead of Hewitt.
By 2030 things will change though. Hewitt has 1500 and 700 housing developments that will be mostly filled up by then. Lorena also has a 260 housing development coming up. 90 new homes coming to Bosqueville. New housing already built and now adding onto near La Vega.
WMSA could be at about 300,000 by then.

trey3216
UBBY said:

Population stats:

I am basing this off of if 2016 estimates continue through 2020 since it's the most current data I could find.

Estimated population growth from 2000-2020 for Waco, China Spring, Robinson and Hewitt.

Hewitt - 3752 (2020 total population 14,837) 2000 - 11,085

Waco - 16,045 (2020 total population 140,850) 2000 - 113,726

By 2030 things will change though. Hewitt has 1500 and 700 housing developments that will be mostly filled up by then. Lorena also has a 260 housing development coming up. 90 new homes coming to Bosqueville. New housing already built and now adding onto near La Vega.

I think they are grossly underestimating right now.
UBBY
trey3216 said:

UBBY said:

Population stats:

Hewitt - 3983 (2020 total population 15,068) 2000 - 11,085

Waco - 27,124 (2020 total population 140,850) 2000 - 113,726

I think they are grossly underestimating right now.
I'm sorry I messed up. Waco's growth would be 27,124 since 2000.
GhettoHEBear
When I lived in Waco, "mixed use" meant they sold food in the GhettoHEB and crack in the parking lot.
Baylor Mafioso
Wichitabear
No not in my time. 70s
DaBear
Does anyone know what's going on with the Union Hall food court development?
They seem to have gone silent on social media.
Yogi
SicEmFL said:

All is fine.

Check out the Business section of tomorrow's Waco Tribune-Herald.
Joecool114
SicEmFL said:

I live 20 feet from Union Hall, they've been working for a while now, the entire place was gutted so it's taking them a while. They spent a fair amount of time doing streetside stuff and finishing up the retail spaces downstairs but they've definitely got the tenants for the food hall
Wichitabear
Yes, oh yes. Love that idea and so would families and our college kids.
Wichitabear
Awe but if you are truly in love Yogi, you won't mind sitting in that chair. I'm sure that sweet wife would nicely reward you. You just haven't found the right girl. Hey you would at least get a good dinner lolololol
Wichitabear
That is motherly advice by the way. Lol
Wichitabear
There's no place like Texas!
UBBY
"What will hold Waco back," she said, "Won't be a lack of money or interest or commitment. It'll be one thing: convenience."

The person who needs a front parking spot in order to support a downtown establishment, the person who won't eat at a restaurant because there's a 15 minute wait, the person who gets so angered by Magnolia traffic that they don't leave their house, wants to live in a fundamentally different Waco than I do.

And that's okay! We can still coexist and learn from each other and love one another well. But, eventually, one of our preferred ways of life will prevail.

Waco is in the "scale" stage right now. Just like an early stage company trying to grow, decision makers are figuring out how to deal with increased activity, spotlight, and opportunities while retaining to reasons why people were drawn to it in the first place.

For Waco to be as great as it can be, the divisions of "Old Waco" and "New Waco" must be dissolved. We must all communicate, settle our disagreements, and migrate to a unified vision of Waco: one where convenience does not rule, and a commitment to community does.

This was from wacobusinessnews.com. Thoughts?
hill02
I am Old Waco. Born here and lived here for almost 40 years. My question for all of the new Waco people is "why do you want Waco to grow and turn into Austin?" To me the appeal of living here is getting anywhere in 15 minutes and it being a great place for families while still being a day trip from the amenities of a big city.

I can't figure out why people want to grow so badly. The mid-sized City is Waco's appeal. Attracting a giant employer serves the first vision and not the second. I am all for growing the standard of living for those here but I don't see a ton of value in attracting a bunch of move ins.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.