Waco Development

69,384 Views | 827 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wichitabear
UBBY
How long do you want to ignore this user?

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/city-council-weighs-incentives-for-cinemark-complex-off-i-/article_47452432-fc86-5399-990e-53c1b6f3bc41.html?block_id=1367094

Developers planning a large entertainment complex fronting Interstate 35 and New Road and anchored by a Cinemark movie theater are seeking tax incentives from the city.

The developer, NewQuest Properties, is also pursuing a Topgolf and another entertainment venue, such as a Dave & Buster's or a Main Event. Their success in landing development anchors will affect the total incentives available, with a maximum of $5.3 million that would pay for infrastructure needed to support the complex. Other additions on what is now 142 acres of undeveloped land north of Central Texas Marketplace would include retail space and restaurants.

The confirmed Cinemark theater will serve as the anchor for the complex. While not confirmed as taking part, Topgolf has proposed a smaller-scale development for the complex. The city's incentives would be rebated from property and sales taxes generated by the complex.

"Bringing in institutions like Topgolf changes our perspective," District 1 Councilwoman Andrea Barefield said. "It takes Waco to another level. It's one of those entities that is in, specifically, larger cities in our state."

The main entertainment anchors would support smaller retail spaces and restaurants near the interstate as well as more dining closer to the theater. A road would lead from the I-35 access road to New Road and require a traffic signal.

The main entertainment anchors would support smaller retail spaces and restaurants near the interstate as well as more dining closer to the theater. A road would lead from the I-35 access road to New Road and require a traffic signal.

UBBY
UBBY
https://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/revised-la-salle-overlay-district-approved-by-city-council-on/article_3844c7ed-0fa0-53c5-a7c5-dcb0f8b93e87.html

Years of planning paid off Tuesday night when the Waco City Council approved a plan to create an overlay district along La Salle Avenue on first reading.

The overlay district, dubbed the La Salle Avenue Corridor District, would add architectural requirements for new construction, including pedestrian walkways accompanying development, intended to create a unified feel in the area. The proposal that made it to the city council drops prohibitions on specific types of new business that had been included in previous drafts. The district spans the avenue of the same name, as well as a portion of Oakwood Avenue near Baylor University.

Larry Dagley, co-owner of Circle Hardware Supply at 2504 La Salle, said the measure would assist property and business owners.

"Waco is a changing place. We've heard that tonight," Dagley said. "I think La Salle is very important, it has been through the years. I think it's going to facilitate investment in our community."

A stretch of La Salle Avenue, roughly from Third Street to 23rd Street, would be removed from the Colleges and University Neighborhoods District Overlay and incorporated into the La Salle Avenue Corridor District. The intent of the older overlay is to limit changes to the character of the neighborhood related to development targeting Baylor students.

Yogi
When I think of Waco amusement parks, I think of Great America USA or whatever the heck that was supposed to be.

In all honesty, inasmuch as this entertainment complex is exciting, I think Elm Avenue is going to be the **** one day.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
UBBY
New Hotels Coming to Waco Updated, June 2019

With Waco's explosive tourism growth for the past three years, and high hotel occupancy rate, developers have stepped forward to build an abundance of new hotels. The destination as a whole generated 2.6 million visitors in 2018, as measured through attendance figures at major attractions.
Waco's hotel occupancy continues to exceed nearly every other city in Texas. Waco had the highest hotel occupancy of all Texas Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs) in 2018, per Source Strategies, Inc.
Here is a recap of area hotels in the works:

Hotels opened in late 2018
Totaling 212 rooms, these hotels opened in late 2018.
  • Hilton Garden Inn 111 rooms
  • La Quinta Del Sol 101 rooms

Hotels Under Construction
There are six hotels in the market that are actively under construction. These total 654 rooms.
  • Hyatt Place 125 rooms Opening expected as soon as October, 2019. Located on Bagby Ave. near Cottonwood Creek Golf Course.
  • Towneplace Suites Lacy Lakeview 85 rooms near completion. Located at I-35 and Loop 340 North, next to Atwood's.
  • Aloft 117 rooms nearing completion. At 900 S. 11th St.
  • Springhill Suites 125 rooms under construction at I-35 and University Parks Drive
  • Residence Inn 104 rooms, wood framing up. Located at Central Texas Marketplace.
  • TRU by Hilton 98 rooms slab poured, and plumbing in. Located at Central Texas Marketplace.

Announced Projects
These projects have been announced and covered in the Waco media. Seven hotels totaling 841 rooms.
  • Cambria Suites 132 rooms (Near Bridge St. & Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.)
  • EVEN hotel 128 rooms (Near Bridge St. & Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.)
  • Holiday Inn Express 101 rooms (Near Bridge St. & Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.)
  • Element Hotel by Westin 105 rooms (on the Circle)
  • Embassy Suites 168 rooms (former Downtown 301 space)
  • Staybridge Suites Woodway 97 rooms (on Hwy. 84 near Jewel Cinema)
  • Hyatt Place Downtown Waco 110 rooms (near Embassy Suites)
  • Summary of Waco's Hotel Market:Starting Hotel Supply: 3,711Plus Hilton Garden Inn & La Quinta: 212Plus 6 hotels under construction: 654Plus 7 announced new hotels: 841Expected ending total room supply in the market: 5,418Increase including hotels opened in 2018: 15 hotels with 1,625 rooms, or 44%Increase NOT including hotels opened in 2018: 13 hotels with 1,495 rooms, or 38%
PartyBear
The new developments planned for East Waco along Elm is very interesting as well. The owner of the Indigo is building something similar over there as well.

I'm very curious about the 352 acres at Loop 340 and 35 on the northbound side of 35.
Weston Rogers
PartyBear said:

The new developments planned for East Waco along Elm is very interesting as well. The owner of the Indigo is building something similar over there as well.

I'm very curious about the 352 acres at Loop 340 and 35 on the northbound side of 35.
A couple of developers showed interest 2-3 years ago, then bailed on the project after they struggled to lure big box retailers... I believe the listing has changed hands several times since then as well... Truth is it's probably a bit too much property/development for Waco right now. 5-10 years from now that will potentially be a different story.

PartyBear
Could be depending on the plan for the property though. That acreage generated some news over the spring. It was the one that the developer's identity was a secret and the developer was going to use tax incentives for infrastructure including beautification of high way frontage. The property was also to be developed in 2 or 3 phases over the next several years. I have not heard that it was off. Since the situation generated at least a couple of news stories in March and April, I would think it would be a news story if it was off.
skeeterbear
UBBY said:

With Waco's explosive tourism growth for the past three years, and high hotel occupancy rate, developers have stepped forward to build an abundance of new hotels. The destination as a whole generated 2.6 million visitors in 2018, as measured through attendance figures at major attractions.
Waco's hotel occupancy continues to exceed nearly every other city in Texas. Waco had the highest hotel occupancy of all Texas Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs) in 2018, per Source Strategies, Inc.

There are six hotels in the market that are actively under construction. These total 654 rooms.
  • Hyatt Place 125 rooms Opening expected as soon as October, 2019. Located on Bagby Ave. near Cottonwood Creek Golf Course.
  • Towneplace Suites Lacy Lakeview 85 rooms near completion. Located at I-35 and Loop 340 North, next to Atwood's.
  • Springhill Suites 125 rooms under construction at I-35 and University Parks Drive
  • Residence Inn 104 rooms, wood framing up. Located at Central Texas Marketplace.
  • TRU by Hilton 98 rooms slab poured, and plumbing in. Located at Central Texas Marketplace.

Announced Projects
These projects have been announced and covered in the Waco media. Seven hotels totaling 841 rooms.
  • Holiday Inn Express 101 rooms (Near Bridge St. & Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.)
  • Summary of Waco's Hotel Market:Starting Hotel Supply: 3,711Plus Hilton Garden Inn & La Quinta: 212Plus 6 hotels under construction: 654Plus 7 announced new hotels: 841Expected ending total room supply in the market: 5,418Increase including hotels opened in 2018: 15 hotels with 1,625 rooms, or 44%Increase NOT including hotels opened in 2018: 13 hotels with 1,495 rooms, or 38%

It sure would be nice if one "flagship" hotel would come to Waco to compete with the Hilton and Indigo (unless i am not familiar with some of these--are any of them boutique type hotels on par with a flagship type service?--it seems like we get all of the "concept" hotels instead of the flagships). It doesn't even have to be an Omni!
Weston Rogers
skeeterbear said:

UBBY said:

Announced Projects

It sure would be nice if one "flagship" hotel would come to Waco to compete with the Hilton and Indigo (unless i am not familiar with some of these--are any of them boutique type hotels on par with a flagship type service?--it seems like we get all of the "concept" hotels instead of the flagships). It doesn't even have to be an Omni!
Embassy Suites is a full service hotel and I believe the Hyatt Place downtown will be also.
Weston Rogers
PartyBear said:

Could be depending on the plan for the property though. That acreage generated some news over the spring. It was the one that the developer's identity was a secret and the developer was going to use tax incentives for infrastructure including beautification of high way frontage. The property was also to be developed in 2 or 3 phases over the next several years. I have not heard that it was off. Since the situation generated at least a couple of news stories in March and April, I would think it would be a news story if it was off.
Oh there's definitely a new developer attached to the project, and I know the city was up for giving them $5MM in TIF... The only issue is there is still no announced tenants, and the project at 35 and New Road is actually happening with the same type of development the developer for 35/340 is pushing.
Weston Rogers
Looks like the developer hooked a main event type place for the 35/340 development hope it pans out and I'd be glad to be wrong on development being years away
PartyBear
I wonder why this developer would want to keep its identity a secret? It is not like it is some big deal household name in the entertainment business. That aspect looks...well a little silly now.
Banned BarleyMcDougal
PartyBear said:

I wonder why this developer would want to keep its identity a secret? It is not like it is some big deal household name in the entertainment business. That aspect looks...well a little silly now.
Half the time Waco finds a developer looking to do some business they turn out to be some sleezeball from Dallas that the city has to sue.
PartyBear
It's just really silly for someone no one has heard of would take a page from the Disney or Universal playbook. Since they are a no name they look odd and flakey.
Wichitabear
Lol
Yogi
Ironically, the "no name" was Mark Schulman, a local.

With similar venues in smaller markets, the venue should proceed. I am hearing that they want to be open for next summer.

PartyBear
Do you think Shulman is a household name in the entertainment business. My point is there was no need to for him to set up some sort of shell corporation to keep his identity a secret leading up to this. You think the price of the land etc would have shot up had everyone known they were dealing with him? lol. It was kind of silly. The company doing the same type a development just across 35 didnt take that approach. I dont recall the developers of Legend's Crossing the the Central Texas Market place taking that approach.
Wichitabear
He had his reasons, I'm sure
Yogi
PartyBear said:

Do you think Shulman is a household name in the entertainment business. My point is there was no need to for him to set up some sort of shell corporation to keep his identity a secret leading up to this. You think the price of the land etc would have shot up had everyone known they were dealing with him? lol. It was kind of silly. The company doing the same type a development just across 35 didnt take that approach. I dont recall the developers of Legend's Crossing the the Central Texas Market place taking that approach.

I don't know all the circumstances. Doesn't matter now, anyway.
WacoKelly83
https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Work-starts-on-local-complex-including-theater-golf-entertainment-512899411.html
Yogi
Ah hell yes...

Quiktrip to open first Waco store at I-35, New Road

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/quiktrip-to-open-first-waco-store-at-i--new/article_1c8a1587-7416-5ee9-8d47-aab3cf40e5c0.html

If Buc-ee's has become the gold standard among roadside pit stops, QuikTrip might say been there, done that on a regional level.

And one is bound for Waco, the first in this market.

The Tulsa, Oklahoma,-based chain intends to bring its smorgasbord of fuel, specialty drinks, pizza and pretzels to New Road and Interstate 35, directly across from Flying J. Construction will start early next year, according to the company.

Still privately held after more than 60 years, QuikTrip has more than 800 locations and $13 billion in annual revenue, according to its website. It will occupy an intersection that already has several retailers and restaurants, including Denny's, IHOP and Harley-Davidson of Waco. Nearby, developers have broken ground on an entertainment venue to be anchored by a 14-screen Cinemark movie theater.

The Waco City Council paved the way for QuikTrip last week, unanimously approving a zoning change and a Planned Unit Development designation. A grand opening of the 7,719-square-foot store should arrive in September of next year, according to a timeline provided to the council by Gwen Keen, QuikTrip's real estate project manager.

The 7-acre development site will front New Road

Wichitabear
I love these. Have stopped at some when traveling. They are very nice
UBBY
bankerbear said:

River Development is happening. Was in a meeting this week where the developers presented an update. Not far from "sticks and bricks", but primary challenge right now is site cleanup. TCEQ needs to sign off.

Development takes time, but this will happen.

Herotage Square is the last "best" developable parcel the city owns. This too will happen. Both local and out of town developers are interested. Like anything else, the economics have to work for all parties.

These city RFPs are bureaucratic by nature and take time to meet all of their requirements.
It's been awhile. Have you heard anything on Heritage Square? Heard anything on the second Riverfront development? I can't remember if it was called Brazos Commons or Brazos Promenade.
PartyBear
What exactly is Heritage Square? What is to be developed there?
Yogi
PartyBear said:

I assume he is talking about the new development that includes a 15 story office building (pics on this thread).

I haven't heard anything as of late.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
UBBY
Yogi said:

PartyBear said:

I assume he is talking about the new development that includes a 15 story office building (pics on this thread).

Yeah, I was just curious what the status of the project was since it's been about 2 years ago when the accepted project was announced but it's been crickets since.

There were 2 larger buildings. One would be an 8 story 196,000 sf. building and the other would be a 330,000 sf. building for office use. I think maybe a restaurant also. Both of the larger buildings would be bigger than any building currently in Waco.
trey3216
UBBY said:

Yogi said:

PartyBear said:

Yeah, I was just curious what the status of the project was since it's been about 2 years ago when the accepted project was announced but it's been crickets since.

There were 2 larger buildings. One would be an 8 story 196,000 sf. building and the other would be a 330,000 sf. building for office use. I think maybe a restaurant also. Both of the larger buildings would be bigger than any building currently in Waco.
Need an anchor tenant for that kind of build-out commitment. Probably still working on a feasible anchor
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
PartyBear
UBBY said:

Yogi said:

PartyBear said:

You must mean strictly by square footage. The Alico Building is 21-24 stories.

Where is Heritage Square? There is something called that I think where Coach's Smoke is. Is that park where the buildings are going?

What is the current plan for the River Front? A Centex Market Place type development?

BearCPA
I thought the rumor was that AT&T was moving some corporate offices to Waco to anchor the development which coincided with the 5G rollout in Waco.
Support Our Veterans @ paypal.com/us/fundraiser/charity/3360500
trey3216
BearCPA said:

I thought the rumor was that AT&T was moving some corporate offices to Waco to anchor the development which coincided with the 5G rollout in Waco.

That was one of the companies looking at it. Don't know if decisions have been made yet
Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
UBBY
PartyBear said:

UBBY said:

Yogi said:

PartyBear said:

You must mean strictly by square footage. The Alico Building is 21-24 stories.

Where is Heritage Square? There is something called that I think where Coach's Smoke is. Is that park where the buildings are going?

What is the current plan for the River Front? A Centex Market Place type development?

You mean another outdoor mall type area? No. It's going to have a hotel, live-work units, they're relocating the farmers market to that location, retail, a restaurant along the riverbank, a rose garden, an open green space for live events. I think that's about it. Also, they have the Brazos Commons (I think that's what it's called) which will be a similar development right next to it but that project hasn't been confirmed yet.
Wichitabear
When is this expected to start? I hope soon. It will add so much for our students and visitors to campus. If I am thinking this is the one.
UBBY
Wichitabear said:

When is this expected to start? I hope soon. It will add so much for our students and visitors to campus. If I am thinking this is the one.
I think they said the end of this year.
Wichitabear
Thank you. Exciting.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.