Waco Development

70,368 Views | 827 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Wichitabear
BUwolverine2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'd like to open a Korean BBQ joint
Be present in all things and thankful for all things.
Bobby Tables
Joecool114 said:

Its 2018 and Waco still doesn't have a hookah bar. Like come on this thing would just print money catering to all these college students.

There have been multiple hookah bars that have come and gone, downtown, by campus, and elsewhere in Waco. There's one at the Falafel-N-Load's setup, but they've got it as an addition to their main source of income. Hookah as the primary venture just hasn't stuck here.
Chibears2
Union Kitchen or Dish Society (Houston)....
CammoTX
3 and OUT said:

CammoTX said:

PS: Hopdoddy is the truth. Wagyu burger for $12 is amazing. A little on the high side for a burger joint, but the drinks, shakes, fries and burgers are some of the best around. Consensus in Htown is Burger Joint and Hopdoddy are tops.
Consensus? Nah. Both good but give me Bernie's Burger Bus above those.
Forgot about Bernies. Bernies is excellent!
CammoTX
Chibears2 said:

Union Kitchen or Dish Society (Houston)....
Local Foods
Chibears2
Meant something similar to those in food offerings. Saw request for local and agree, but I would like to see similar food offerings, that is all.
boxster
Sometimes progress isn't a straight line...

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/tif-funds-pulled-for-nd-phase-of-franklin-place-apartments/article_661570e4-e902-5987-8a55-d5428fcf49fe.html

What he wants people to know about Baylor football: I want people to see that Baylor is the class of college football. Record GPAs, 26 different majors, guys challenging themselves to be the best they can be. Guys working in the community and guys working to be the best they can be in football. Want people to know Baylor is a great place as a University. -Coach Matt Rhule
Old300Bear
Can't read the article, but the management of that project has been shaky since the start. Shame they can't complete it.
BUbearinARK
ydre2
BUwolverine2012 said:

I'd like to open a Korean BBQ joint

how dare you
Yogi
Grinnin bear said:

Big Daddy's sourdough chicken parmesan sandwich was magical. My life has never really been the same...
Amen!

Highly Honorable Mention to the Buffalo Chicken Sandwich.

It was great after studying!
Bobby Tables
Not sure how much it'll have an effect on Waco, but the Gaines are getting their own tv channel.
BaylorHistory
Anyone tried Taste? Excellent new restaurant downtown. Well close to downtown.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
forza orsi
BaylorHistory said:

Last night. It was excellent.
Gunny Hartman
BaylorHistory said:

You might want to check out the Waco restaurant thread in the bear cave

https://sicem365.com/forums/19/topics/31836/1#discussion
BaylorHistory
forza orsi said:

BaylorHistory said:

Last night. It was excellent.

I feel like it's the type of place that people on the previous page were saying that Waco needs or wouldn't support. Our bill did come out to $150 for the two of us but it didn't have to be that high. We just wanted to try a bunch of things on the menu and a wine tasting plus a bottle raised the final price. Certainly a nice break from most places in town.
“People who live in glass houses...have to answer the door."
Bearman
boxster said:

Sometimes progress isn't a straight line...

https://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/tif-funds-pulled-for-nd-phase-of-franklin-place-apartments/article_661570e4-e902-5987-8a55-d5428fcf49fe.html

Until Waco can attract some higher paying jobs I don't think we should expect much in the way of jmpactful development.
STxBear81
When did Waterworks go out of business? Brazos Landing?
A Grateful Bear
BornAgain said:

Or Laverne's Lakeshore Diner?
Ben Sims, TE, #8, Senior from San Antonio TX
30 catches for 241 yds, 2 TDs
1 rush for 1 yd, 1 TD
1 unassisted tackle
(Adopt-a-Bear 2022)

Javon Gipson, WR, #19, RFr from Richmond TX
2 catches for 22 yds
I committed to Baylor as a student first, athlete second.
(Adopt-a-Bear 2022 / 2021)
Gunny Hartman
BornAgain said:

Late 80s IIRC. I can't remember if waterworks was still open when I arrived in Fall of 89, but it was definitely closed well before I graduated.
trey3216
Gunny Hartman said:

BornAgain said:

Late 80s IIRC. I can't remember if waterworks was still open when I arrived in Fall of 89, but it was definitely closed well before I graduated.

It was reopened as 101 Mill St for a while when I was in school, but shut down. Again.
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
STxBear81
Good place to eat. For sure
DioNoZeus
Gunny Hartman said:

BornAgain said:

One of my roommates waited tables at waterworks in the late 90s
This place is toxic. Unsubscribing

-Bono/Chitwood/Norman Dale/Sunny Ortiz/John Galt/and soon to be The Toxic Avenger
Bear-0-Daktyl
BornAgain said:

Still in business next to Fat Ho Burger, right?
Bahamabear
I met Maury Povich and Connie Chen at waterworks circa 1991-2 before a Killer Bee's or David Garza show
STxBear81
I didn't realize the Landing was open thanks
STxBear81
Who looked more like Connie? Connie or Maury?
WILLIS
https://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/full-service-embassy-suites-headed-for-downtown-waco/article_cf9c9865-4017-5132-8f9c-3075cd3201c5.html

This would be big for Waco.

UBBY
Excellent. I saw a small hotel going up near the Central Texas Marketplace mall. Also the hotel off of I-35 across close to McLane Stadium.
UBBY
https://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/hotel-building-binge-in-waco-continues/article_05b01f2d-996d-5eff-8bba-c34a4e8f6804.html

The number 1,268 keeps rolling around in the mind of Carla Pendergraft, director of marketing for the Waco Convention Center.

It reflects rooms that could become available the next three years if hotels planned, permitted or under construction come to pass.

To Pendergraft, it also represents more visits to the Cameron Park Zoo, the Dr Pepper Museum or Magnolia Market, packed sporting events, brimming restaurants and weekend getaways for travelers sampling what Greater Waco has to offer.

Last week, developers announced plans for a full-service Embassy Suites on South Second Street, which includes a seven-story hotel with 168 rooms, structured parking, 15,000 square feet of meeting space, ballroom space, a full restaurant and a full bar behind the RiverSquare collection of shops and restaurants and two blocks from the Waco Convention Center.

Developer Kenny Bhakta, who owns Hotel Indigo downtown, has announced plans to place three four-story hotels on land roughly bounded by Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, Bridge Street and Taylor Street in East Waco, all within walking distance of the Waco Convention Center complex.

Construction on the $21.7 million project is scheduled to start early next year and conclude in 2022. Plans call for 361 rooms spread over three brands: Cambria Suites, Even Hotel and Holiday Inn Express.

Bhakta also will place a 105-room extended-stay Element Hotel by Marriott on LaSalle Avenue, near Waco's traffic circle, said Jacquelyn Baumann, director of sales for Hotel Indigo and a spokesperson for Bhakta's KB Hotels LLC.

Waco's overall occupancy rate was listed as tops in the state during the second quarter this year, at 82.7 percent, according to Pendergraft.

Tiny Elvis
This is all because of that Waco pineapple video, right?
UBBY
https://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/hotel-building-binge-in-waco-continues/article_05b01f2d-996d-5eff-8bba-c34a4e8f6804.html

Cont.

A Springhill Suites is under construction near Second Street and Interstate 35, an Aloft Hotel is going up at 900 S. 11th St., next to Patel's new La Quinta, and a Hyatt Place is under construction near the Bagby Avenue entrance to Central Texas Marketplace, with an opening planned next year.

And Mississippi-based Heritage Hospitality Group has secured permits to build a Residence Inn and a Tru by Hilton in the 2400 block of Marketplace Drive, near the Hyatt Place, a new retail strip and a Baylor Scott & White Health clinic.

Also, a 111-room Hilton Garden Inn opened in September in Legends Crossing, and an 85-unit TownePlace Suites is going up in Lacy Lakeview.

A 32-room hotel, meanwhile, is part of a Czech-inspired mixed-use development announced last week that will include a brewery, restaurant and bakery on South Eighth Street in Waco's inner city.

Reinforcements have also arrived in the push to promote Waco's convention and tourist traffic, with the introduction last week of Todd Bertka, an industry veteran and transplant from Virginia hired as director of the Waco Convention Center and Waco Convention and Visitors Bureau.

He said the facilities to meet the needs of "the meeting business" are critical to Waco being a year-round destination.
WILLIS
Just get the full service embassy suites going. Force the Hilton to step up its game.
Yogi
UBBY said:

Cont.

A Springhill Suites is under construction near Second Street and Interstate 35, an Aloft Hotel is going up at 900 S. 11th St., next to Patel's new La Quinta, and a Hyatt Place is under construction near the Bagby Avenue entrance to Central Texas Marketplace, with an opening planned next year.

And Mississippi-based Heritage Hospitality Group has secured permits to build a Residence Inn and a Tru by Hilton in the 2400 block of Marketplace Drive, near the Hyatt Place, a new retail strip and a Baylor Scott & White Health clinic.

Also, a 111-room Hilton Garden Inn opened in September in Legends Crossing, and an 85-unit TownePlace Suites is going up in Lacy Lakeview.

A 32-room hotel, meanwhile, is part of a Czech-inspired mixed-use development announced last week that will include a brewery, restaurant and bakery on South Eighth Street in Waco's inner city.

Reinforcements have also arrived in the push to promote Waco's convention and tourist traffic, with the introduction last week of Todd Bertka, an industry veteran and transplant from Virginia hired as director of the Waco Convention Center and Waco Convention and Visitors Bureau.

He said the facilities to meet the needs of "the meeting business" are critical to Waco being a year-round destination.

Funny. Right now three properties of 5+ stories are under construction in Waco.

That's the most since the Savings & Loan boom in the 1980's...
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
UBBY
https://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/cinemark-theater-among-plans-for-large-entertainment-retail-venue-near/article_b54a3b70-3e25-59de-84d1-653076c5c9f5.html

A Cinemark movie theater could be part of a sprawling Cottonwood Creek Market development on Interstate 35 near New Road, with other features to include sit-down and fast-food restaurants, retail space and living areas, according to an online marketing flyer for the project.

The proposed mixed-use venture would materialize along the southbound I-35 frontage road between the Flying J travel center and Central Texas Marketplace, on a 143-acre site now brown with winter grass and subject to flooding. A site map shows three detention ponds placed near the target area, with roadways and 2,216 parking spaces serving the development.

The flyer shows a Cinemark movie theater at the heart of Cottonwood Creek Market. It would occupy 44,247 square feet and feature 1,115 seats, according to the flyer, which had been recently updated.

Austen Baldridge, a Baylor University graduate who is marketing the site for NewQuest, confirmed developers are "targeting entertainment groups," and they will place emphasis on entertainment, retail and restaurant components. But plans for office and residential space near the rear of the development are also in the works. The flyer, for example, states developers have earmarked office and multifamily uses.

It states the population within a 3-mile radius of the site has grown an average of 27 percent annually, and includes a quote from the Fort Worth Visitors Bureau that says, in part, "Waco provides businesses and individuals an advantage of the proximity to large metro areas without the downside of expensive real estate and congestive traffic."

The online site map includes a proposed entertainment venue in addition to the Cinemark theater that would occupy. Other designated uses include a 4,900-square-foot bank, a 5,994-square-foot restaurant, three fast-food restaurants ranging in size from 3,667 to 3,745 square feet, a fitness venue of 25,000 square feet, and a proposed tool-and-equipment-related user taking 20,000 square feet. Four two-story, 60,000-square-foot sites and a two-story 50,400-square-foot site are designated as medical office buildings.

Waco real estate agent Bland Cromwell, who continues to market the site, said the Stainback Organization no longer is involved. He said he now represents an investment group with principles in Waco and Dallas.

He said a tract more than 30 acres in size has been placed under contract, and he expects a deal to close and an announcement within two months.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.