This "border crisis" talk is dangerous for our democracy

70,370 Views | 693 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by quash
Oldbear83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam: " I never compared a shot of alcohol with an ounce of heroin."

Earlier in the thread, I said "An ounce of heroin, that's lethal"

To which Sam replied "Alcohol is lethal too, but it's not against the law to deal in it."

Yes, you damn well did make that comparison.
This is absurd. It's late. I'll have to break it down for you tomorrow or something.

Good grief.
"break it down" = 'desperately find excuse'

You could just admit that you were wrong in your post there, recognize that there are reasonable restrictions to discuss ... or you could be stubborn and repeat mistakes.

By the way, don't forget that we have not even touched upon the really scary drugs, like hallucinogens and psychotropic drugs. I can't imagine the defense someone would present for legalizing the recreational use of, say, PCP?
An ounce of heroin is a lot more than one dose. Depending on tolerances, I'd guess it's equivalent to maybe 15 or 20 bottles of liquor. Both are lethal many times over, but only one is illegal. The reason has nothing to do with how much they weigh.
Exactly, glad you are catching up, Sam. Your comparison made no sense Sam, for just the reason you posted here. Alcohol per unit is far from the danger presented by drugs like heroin, and so while alcoholism and drunk driving are serious problems, alcohol is sometimes a problem, while hard drugs like heroin are a legitimate crisis, and require much stricter controls.

Only a completely irresponsible person could advocate for the legalization of drugs like heroin or cocaine.
Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

To which Sam replied "Alcohol is lethal too, but it's not against the law to deal in it."

This is absurd. It's late. I'll have to break it down for you tomorrow or something.

Good grief.

You could just admit that you were wrong in your post there, recognize that there are reasonable restrictions to discuss ... or you could be stubborn and repeat mistakes.

By the way, don't forget that we have not even touched upon the really scary drugs, like hallucinogens and psychotropic drugs. I can't imagine the defense someone would present for legalizing the recreational use of, say, PCP?
An ounce of heroin is a lot more than one dose. Depending on tolerances, I'd guess it's equivalent to maybe 15 or 20 bottles of liquor. Both are lethal many times over, but only one is illegal. The reason has nothing to do with how much they weigh.
Exactly, glad you are catching up, Sam. Your comparison made no sense Sam, for just the reason you posted here. Alcohol per unit is far from the danger presented by drugs like heroin, and so while alcoholism and drunk driving are serious problems, alcohol is sometimes a problem, while hard drugs like heroin are a legitimate crisis, and require much stricter controls.

Only a completely irresponsible person could advocate for the legalization of drugs like heroin or cocaine.
What do you mean by "unit?"
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Good grief.

See your own answer. No one drinks 15-20 bottles of liquor in a sitting, but it's very possible for an addict to accidentally inject an ounce of pure heroin into their veins.

Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Good grief.

See your own answer. No one drinks 15-20 bottles of liquor in a sitting, but it's very possible for an addict to accidentally inject an ounce of pure heroin into their veins.

I think it would be quite rare for anyone to accidentally inject themselves 250+ times in a single sitting. Call me irresponsible, but I'm just not that worried about it.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Good grief.

I think it would be quite rare for anyone to accidentally inject 250+ doses in a single sitting. Call me irresponsible, but I'm just not that worried about it.
You don't know about drug overdosing?

What bubble do you live in?
Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Good grief.

I think it would be quite rare for anyone to accidentally inject 250+ doses in a single sitting. Call me irresponsible, but I'm just not that worried about it.

The one where heroin is sold in powder form...not in shot glasses.
ValhallaBear
This convo is making me want to do heroin
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Good grief.

So you are still clinging to your invalid comparison.

God alone knows why.
Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Good grief.

God alone knows why.
Your comparison, not mine.
Canada2017
ValhallaBear said:

Ugly way to die......very ugly .

But hey let's all be cool and legalize it . None of our crowd will shoot up right ? And if they do ...we can talk about it for days on end on social media .

Talk about cool !
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Good grief.

God alone knows why.
Your comparison, not mine.
Nope, I already showed where you did it. Denial just makes you look desperate, Sam.
Sam Lowry
Canada2017 said:

ValhallaBear said:

But hey let's all be cool and legalize it . None of our crowd will shoot up right ? And if they do ...we can talk about it for days on end on social media .

Talk about cool !
There's a good article in Reason magazine about the reality of it, as opposed to the myths. Hopefully you'll find it interesting:

https://reason.com/archives/2003/06/01/h
Canada2017
Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

ValhallaBear said:

Talk about cool !
There's a good article in Reason magazine about the reality of it, as opposed to the myths. Hopefully you'll find it interesting:

Sam....I believe you to be an excellent contributor here.

Far better than myself.

But I am never going to support the legalization of heroin.

Have seen one girl die from it years ago and the son of our best friends have his future stolen.

Portugal is a totally different culture than that of the US and even there.....the data I saw showed hard drug use has almost doubled with legalization.

Yes OD's are down but the number hooked is up.

Done here.

Peace be with you .
Sam Lowry
Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

ValhallaBear said:

Talk about cool !

Sam....I believe you to be an excellent contributor here.

Far better than myself.

But I am never going to support the legalization of heroin.

Have seen one girl die from it years ago and the son of our best friends have his future stolen.

Portugal is a totally different culture than that of the US and even there.....the data I saw showed hard drug use has almost doubled with legalization.

Yes OD's are down but the number hooked is up.

Done here.

Peace be with you .
I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

Peace.
Oldbear83
.. and we have not even touched discussion of the really nasty drugs.

Some things have to be controlled. There is no constitutional right to any drug you want, especially when there is clear risk to Society but no benefit.
BrooksBearLives
riflebear said:

How many of those were specifically voted DOWN with funding denied by congress?

I'll wait for your answer.
riflebear
BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

Exactly, nobody cared. You do realize all these Dem Congressional leaders all voted for billions for the wall in the past including Obama & Hillary & Schumer & Pelosi. Proves our point this is all political and about giving the right to vote to illegal immigrants because they can't win a real election.

What do you think it says that after losing to Trump they are pushing for illegals and 16 yr olds to vote? Typical liberals, lets get people to vote for us who have no clue what they are voting for except being brainwashed by Hollywood & the media about their radical platforms.

BrooksBearLives
riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

Exactly, nobody cared. You do realize all these Dem Congressional leaders all voted for billions for the wall in the past including Obama & Hillary & Schumer & Pelosi. Proves our point this is all political and about giving the right to vote to illegal immigrants because they can't win a real election.

What do you think it says that after losing to Trump they are pushing for illegals and 16 yr olds to vote? Typical liberals, lets get people to vote for us who have no clue what they are voting for except being brainwashed by Hollywood & the media about their radical platforms.

So... none? Just say it. None.

Stop engaging in this bad faith argument that "this is nothing new." It is. It's been voted down -likely by both chambers of Congress.

It's not the same. Stop saying that. If you have actual facts USE THE FACTS. Stop trying to twist the game.

Shameful.
riflebear
BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

Stop engaging in this bad faith argument that "this is nothing new." It is. It's been voted down -likely by both chambers of Congress.

It's not the same. Stop saying that. If you have actual facts USE THE FACTS. Stop trying to twist the game.

Shameful.

What r u smokin? There are facts littered throughout this thread and several other threads. We are looking at almost triple the immigrants trying to get into our country year over year. But yes, keep ignoring THE FACTS.
BrooksBearLives
riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

Shameful.

What r u smokin? There are facts littered throughout this thread and several other threads. We are looking at almost triple the immigrants trying to get into our country year over year. But yes, keep ignoring THE FACTS.

I'm sorry, buddy. But I'm going to have to insist that you actually read my question and respond with an actual answer.

Take your time. Left-to-right, top-to-bottom. Aspirin for headaches. You can do it.
Florda_mike
riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

Shameful.

What r u smoking?

^^^ I missed it that the above could be the issue with many of the lefties here!?

And "them big bad wepubwecans are gonna take away my marijuana or something else I love. Me wants me freedom to smoke my marijuana so I'm going to lean to them lawless democrats! Democrats are fine with marijuana!"

Herein lies the secret battle on this board?

Secret is we just disagree on stuff here because democrat leaners here just want their "freedoms"(libertarians?) to smoke dope etc and Republicans or conservatives don't care about the stuff so the dope smoking lefties are anti-Trumpers as he wants to close their drug flow from south

Makes sense to me that dope is more important to addicts than non-addicts and it's even more important than securing border because open borders means more and better dope?

Pretty odvious facts I've just been missing
Oldbear83
You see kids, there's a set of rules we use in the United States, called the Constitution, which gives some powers to Legislative Branch and some to the Executive Branch, and some to the Judicial Branch.

This means that whether or not Congress likes what a President does, is sometimes important to the matter, and sometimes not. Emergency decrees have been around for a long time, and the courts up to now seem pretty clear that the President has constitutional authority to make such declarations.

Tantrums or whining aside, what Trump is doing appears to be well within his authority. The courts will, of course, speak to this. But frankly, given the antics of loons like AOC and the Jew-hating Omar, the emotions of certain Congress members are not only beside the point, they fail to convey a sense that Congress is meeting its responsibilities to the American people by putting our safety at risk.
riflebear
These costs don't even include housing, transportation, education etc.

riflebear
Nothing to see here.

Aliceinbubbleland
Has 20 pages changed any poster's mind yet? Anyone jump from the dark side to see the light?
Oldbear83
Aliceinbubbleland said:

Has 20 pages changed any poster's mind yet? Anyone jump from the dark side to see the light?

So, apparently you are new here.

quash
BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

Shameful.

I'm sorry, buddy. But I'm going to have to insist that you actually read my question and respond with an actual answer.

Take your time. Left-to-right, top-to-bottom. Aspirin for headaches. You can do it.
I wouldn't hold my breath.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
riflebear
quash said:

Yes Quash - it's so dangerous that even the Dems have to admit it.
I've lost count how many stories you mock Trump for that end up being true. But this one was the most obvious.

fadskier
quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

Waco1947 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Americans have died as a result of illegal border crossings.

This is a fact.
Really? People died from guns today and were shot by Americans
People died from stabbings today by Americans.
Would you like the president to declare a national knife emergency?

When the alleged emergency has been decreasing for twenty years, and when himself denies the emergency nature, what you really have is a political emergency.

Trump declares a crisis, does little to address it, and he will then declare he solved it. As he has before.
He's not the first president to declare a national emergency. He won't be the last. I truly do not believe a president will declare a national emergency over guns...it would come close to a civil way, convention of states and/or secession talk.
Salute the Marines - Joe Biden
quash
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Young Justin is gonna be sad!

Gonna be a lot of sad to go around when a Democrat in the White House looks around and sees emergencies everywhere.

Actually, quash, I agree with you on this. The good news is it looks like it may be a very long time before there is a Democrat in the White House.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.