This "border crisis" talk is dangerous for our democracy

70,358 Views | 693 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by quash
quash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

Waco1947 said:

Wichitabear said:

Beto is not going to win ****. Let him come down to South Texas. He has no idea what he is saying. Come and take it!!! Beto

Ahhhh, he's been to all the counties in Texas. He's been to all the border counties. He lives in a border city. So you're wrong.
He also says that the wall works in El Paso...so there's that.
He says that it doesn't... so there's that.
If he had stopped there, he might've been okay; instead, he continued and ended up accidentally making the case for those who argue that walls do in fact work: "And it has pushed migrants and asylum seekers and refugees to the most inhospitable, the most hostile stretches of the U.S.-Mexico border, ensuring their suffering and death."

In other words, the walls do deter illegal crossings where they are built. It's also worth noting that those "asylum seekers" O'Rourke references would be deliberately attempting to cross at illegal points instead of seeking out legal ports of entry where they would apply for asylum. In other words, they are not would-be "asylum seekers" by definition: they are would-be illegal aliens
Work = dead people.

Ok pal.
Surely your're not that off. He's saying that the wall prevents people from crossing so they try to cross at more dangerous places where there is no wall.

Don't be blinded by politics.
That's an argument against it, not for it.
No, you see the wall prevents people from coming here illegally so they go other places...hence, more wall, less places.

Con. O'Rourke opposes the wall.. He said he opposes the wall, did you miss that part?
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
fadskier
quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

Waco1947 said:

Wichitabear said:

Beto is not going to win ****. Let him come down to South Texas. He has no idea what he is saying. Come and take it!!! Beto

Ahhhh, he's been to all the counties in Texas. He's been to all the border counties. He lives in a border city. So you're wrong.
If he had stopped there, he might've been okay; instead, he continued and ended up accidentally making the case for those who argue that walls do in fact work: "And it has pushed migrants and asylum seekers and refugees to the most inhospitable, the most hostile stretches of the U.S.-Mexico border, ensuring their suffering and death."

In other words, the walls do deter illegal crossings where they are built. It's also worth noting that those "asylum seekers" O'Rourke references would be deliberately attempting to cross at illegal points instead of seeking out legal ports of entry where they would apply for asylum. In other words, they are not would-be "asylum seekers" by definition: they are would-be illegal aliens
Work = dead people.

Ok pal.
Surely your're not that off. He's saying that the wall prevents people from crossing so they try to cross at more dangerous places where there is no wall.

No, you see the wall prevents people from coming here illegally so they go other places...hence, more wall, less places.

Con. O'Rourke opposes the wall.. He said he opposes the wall, did you miss that part?
Did you miss the part where he describes how it does what it's supposed to do? He's against it for political reasons, but in reality he knows it works. He's the male version of AOC.
YoakDaddy
fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

Waco1947 said:

Wichitabear said:

Work = dead people.

Ok pal.

Did you miss the part where he describes how it does what it's supposed to do? He's against it for political reasons, but in reality he knows it works. He's the male version of AOC.

And with her taking credit for stopping Amazon from building a headquarters in NY, she's got bigger balls than he does.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

I agree, it's a dangerous precedent.
Quick question. Do you know how many 'national emergencies' are in effect right now?

A lot of people don't even understand that these are not uncommon, and have a history which will stand up to judicial scrutiny rather well.

I will discuss this with the adults paying attention.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Oldbear83
BrooksBearLives said:

Doc Holliday said:

Roughly 80% of all voters say U.S. needs secure borders, including 68% of Democrats: Harvard poll

If you can't understand the difference between border security and a wall, then you deserve the ridicule you get.
If you are claiming that border security does not include a serious wall, you deserve all sorts of ridicule yourself.

quash
fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

Waco1947 said:

Wichitabear said:

Work = dead people.

Ok pal.

Not sure why calling it a political reason changes what he said: he opposes the wall.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
quash
YoakDaddy said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

Waco1947 said:

Wichitabear said:

Work = dead people.

Ok pal.

And with her taking credit for stopping Amazon from building a headquarters in NY, she's got bigger balls than he does.
I know she gloated, did she actually take credit?
YoakDaddy
quash said:

YoakDaddy said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

quash said:

fadskier said:

Waco1947 said:

Wichitabear said:

Work = dead people.

Ok pal.

I know she gloated, did she actually take credit?

Ok. Gloated as being part of that group that stopped Amazon.
Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quick question. Do you know how many 'national emergencies' are in effect right now?

A lot of people don't even understand that these are not uncommon, and have a history which will stand up to judicial scrutiny rather well.

Quick answer. Yes.
quash
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quick answer. Yes.
Quick guess: 31?
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quick answer. Yes.
Bonus points - do you know the two national emergency acts signed by Obama, which allow Trump to allocate money right now for building a border wall?
Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quick answer. Yes.
Bonus points - do you know the two national emergency acts signed by Obama, which allow Trump to allocate money right now for building a border wall?
I never said he wasn't allowed to do it. I'm just not sure it's a good idea. It expands the subject matter of emergency action under circumstances where the urgency is debatable.
Oldbear83
quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quick answer. Yes.
And what does that fact do to the complaints that Trump is "over-reaching" by declaring a national emergency?
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quick answer. Yes.
I never said he wasn't allowed to do it. I'm just not sure it's a good idea. It expands the subject matter of emergency action under circumstances where the urgency is debatable.
Nope. Take a look at the wording in all those other declarations.

This is not extraordinary or an expansion at all.

It's simply applying a tool to a serious domestic crisis. Really no different than Ike making sure kids could go to school without getting attacked by mobs.
Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quick answer. Yes.
And what does that fact do to the complaints that Trump is "over-reaching" by declaring a national emergency?
Basically nothing, unless you're assuming that every declaration of emergency is equally valid and justifiable.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quick answer. Yes.
Basically nothing, unless you're assuming that every declaration of emergency is equally valid and justifiable.
Too late in the day for waffles, Sam.

Come on, you're better than base evasion.

Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quick answer. Yes.

It's simply applying a tool to a serious domestic crisis. Really no different than Ike making sure kids could go to school without getting attacked by mobs.
The wording isn't the issue. It's the nature of the supposed emergency. All those other declarations weren't about immigration.
Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quick answer. Yes.

I'm just trying to focus your attention on the present controversy. The issue is not whether presidents have the power to declare emergencies.
quash
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quick answer. Yes.

I'm just trying to focus your attention on the present controversy. The issue is not whether presidents have the power to declare emergencies.
Or whether the legislation granting that authority is constitutional. And if it is found to be so it is still an erosion of legislative power to the benefit of the executive.
TexasScientist
It won't be easy to pass legislation putting the genie back in the bottle.
quash
TexasScientist said:

It won't be easy to pass legislation putting the genie back in the bottle.
Not with the current officeholders, no. The Two Party sees spoils.
BrooksBearLives
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Declaration of a National Emergency to fund something Congress explicitly WOULD NOT fund is without precedent.

Right?
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quick answer. Yes.

The wording isn't the issue. It's the nature of the supposed emergency. All those other declarations weren't about immigration.
Neither is this one. This is about a crisis fomented by constant border incursions.
Oldbear83
BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Declaration of a National Emergency to fund something Congress explicitly WOULD NOT fund is without precedent.

Right?
Half of Congress you mean, and it was indeed funded, just at a level too low for the need.

By the way, was desegregation "without precedent"?

Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quick answer. Yes.

You are posturing, and frankly you look silly doing it.
Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quick answer. Yes.

Neither is this one. This is about a crisis fomented by constant border incursions.
Use whatever wording you want. None of the other declarations was about "a crisis fomented by constant border incursions" either. That includes Obama's.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quick answer. Yes.

Use whatever wording you want. None of the other declarations was about "a crisis fomented by constant border incursions" either. That includes Obama's.
To use your own choice of words, 'use whatever wording you want', the crisis is real and meets the clear and present danger standard.

Hating Trump is no reason to abandon defense of our borders.
Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quick answer. Yes.

To use your own choice of words, 'use whatever wording you want', the crisis is real and meets the clear and present danger standard.

I tend to agree that the crisis is real. I've said as much in my recent posts. I voted for Trump and plan to vote for him again, so Trump hate isn't a factor here.

The question is still the same: whether this is a dangerous precedent.
BrooksBearLives
Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Right?
Half of Congress you mean, and it was indeed funded, just at a level too low for the need.

By the way, was desegregation "without precedent"?

Half of Congress is not all of Congress. And it was specifically omitted. It was "border fencing."

Are you going to admit this is unprecedented, or not?

Find your other sources that show this is exactly as ho-hum normal as you said it was, and I'll back off.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quick answer. Yes.

I tend to agree that the crisis is real. I've said as much in my recent posts. I voted for Trump and plan to vote for him again, so Trump hate isn't a factor here.

My point is that if Trump is thwarted here, that in no way impedes another President from using powers as he/she deems fit.

What so many fail to grasp, is that the Constitution has granted vast powers to the President, and the matter is not now to deny that power, but how for each branch to exercise its own powers and duties.

And for the record, a Congress which cannot be held accountable frightens me far beyond what a single Chief Executive might do. I have studied too much history to not know where the greater peril lies.
BrooksBearLives
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quick answer. Yes.

My point is that if Trump is thwarted here, that in no way impedes another President from using powers as he/she deems fit.

What so many fail to grasp, is that the Constitution has granted vast powers to the President, and the matter is not now to deny that power, but how for each branch to exercise its own powers and duties.

And for the record, a Congress which cannot be held accountable frightens me far beyond what a single Chief Executive might do. I have studied too much history to not know where the greater peril lies.

Your "history lessons" have led you to fear an intransigent group of people who literally have to reach some sort of agreement before moving forward with laws over an increasingly powerful single executive?

What ****ing history books are you reading?
Osodecentx
BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quick answer. Yes.

Your "history lessons" have led you to fear an intransigent group of people who literally have to reach some sort of agreement before moving forward with laws over an increasingly powerful single executive?

He read it on twitter; must be true
Oldbear83
BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Quick answer. Yes.

Go read up on the English Civil War, the French Revolution, the Communist Revolutions in Russia and China, for openers.

All started by taking power away from a central executive, and trusting the wisdom of a crowd of political lickspittles.

You do not know the peril you invite.
Oldbear83
And no, a central executive is far, far different from a demagogue.

Monsters rise from mobs, not service to duty.
LIB,MR BEARS
For years now, both houses of Congress have been more than willing to cede powers to the executive branch because of political expediency.

Congress is weak and getting weaker. It's easier to get re-elected when you haven't taken a firm stand.

This has occurred on both sides of the aisle.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.