This "border crisis" talk is dangerous for our democracy

70,380 Views | 693 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by quash
Wichitabear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Homeland Security just announced. It is at a crisis!!!
Sam Lowry
quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

riflebear said:

quash said:

riflebear said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Young Justin is gonna be sad!

Gonna be a lot of sad to go around when a Democrat in the White House looks around and sees emergencies everywhere.
And that's the difference between liberals and conservatives. You are trying to exploit this for future political gain instead of fixing the problem. I'm not saying you are wrong because we know that's exactly what the Dems will do but the title of this thread is hilarious. You are more worried about the 'talk' or terminology of this crisis instead of the actual crisis.
I, and the LP, have proposed solutions that will work.

And terminology matters: this is not a crisis of drugs, or crime, refugees. It is a policy cluster****. A wall or nothing approach misses the point.
Did you just say this isn't a crime of drugs or crime or refugees? What is it a crisis of then?
Law enforcement. As in, Trump insists on actually doing it.
That's not actually true. If it were he would enforce the law where it would do the most good: on employers.
That would be quite traumatic for the economy as well as the workers who are already here.
Osodecentx
quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

1,000,000 invaders in a single year, most of whom get to stay (catch-and-release), is more than the population of six states (Delaware, South Dakota, North Dakota, Alaska, Vermont, Wyoming).

How can anyone believe this isn't a HUGE problem?!
Start by changing from "invaders" to "workers". Problem shrinks to statistical insignificance. Anecdotal crises, but statistical insignificance.
How does wall make it worse?
BrooksBearLives
Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Gonna be a lot of sad to go around when a Democrat in the White House looks around and sees emergencies everywhere.
And that's the difference between liberals and conservatives. You are trying to exploit this for future political gain instead of fixing the problem. I'm not saying you are wrong because we know that's exactly what the Dems will do but the title of this thread is hilarious. You are more worried about the 'talk' or terminology of this crisis instead of the actual crisis.

As opposed to using a created problem to fix one that mostly existed years ago?

Interesting take.
What 'created' problem are you talking about? The same CRISIS at the border Obama Hillary & all the other Dems admitted there was a few years ago? That 'created' problem?

You do realize that situations change, right?

Just checking. Because I am wondering if i should still be worried about the Prussians.
Prussians, Russians, you guys on the left always look for the wrong threats to worry about.

Yeah, says the guy trying to build a wall to apply a 4th century solution to a problem that doesn't exist anymore.
Oldbear83
BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Interesting take.
What 'created' problem are you talking about? The same CRISIS at the border Obama Hillary & all the other Dems admitted there was a few years ago? That 'created' problem?

Just checking. Because I am wondering if i should still be worried about the Prussians.
Prussians, Russians, you guys on the left always look for the wrong threats to worry about.

Yeah, says the guy trying to build a wall to apply a 4th century solution to a problem that doesn't exist anymore.
So I guess you don't lock your doors? Another ancient solution that - surprise - still works.

Walls work. Kind of why all our important places have them?
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Canada2017
BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Interesting take.

How many millions of illegals need to reside in US before you consider the situation a problem ?
Florda_mike
Canada2017 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Interesting take.

How many millions of illegals need to reside in US before you consider the situation a problem ?

BBL is just another closet liberal that needs him them democrat voters

Country be dammed
Canada2017
Florda_mike said:

Canada2017 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Interesting take.

Country be dammed

We all have our opinions my friend.......and all of us think we are right .

BBL has to be pretty smart to be accepted at Baylor as a PhD candidate in statistics.

Took two such graduate level courses at A&M....was lucky to get out of them alive .

YoakDaddy
Canada2017 said:

Florda_mike said:

Canada2017 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Interesting take.

Country be dammed

BBL has to be pretty smart to be accepted at Baylor as a PhD candidate in statistics.

Took two such graduate level courses at A&M....was lucky to get out of them alive .

You took classes at aggy. I've lost respect for you.
Aliceinbubbleland
Florda_mike said:

Country be dammed
I think she is already out of the closet.
Osodecentx
From NYTimes

Border at 'Breaking Point' as More than 76,000 Migrants Cross in a Month

The number of migrant families crossing the southwest border has once again broken records, with unauthorized entries nearly doubling what they were a year ago, suggesting that the Trump administration's aggressive policies have not discouraged new migration to the United States.
More than 76,000 migrants crossed the border without authorization in February, an 11-year highand a strong sign that stepped-up prosecutions, new controls on asylum and harsher detention policies have not reversed what remains a powerful lure for thousands of families fleeing violence and poverty.
"The system is well beyond capacity, and remains at the breaking point," Kevin K. McAleenan, commissioner of Customs and Border Protection, told reporters in announcing the new data on Tuesday.
Doc Holliday
quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

1,000,000 invaders in a single year, most of whom get to stay (catch-and-release), is more than the population of six states (Delaware, South Dakota, North Dakota, Alaska, Vermont, Wyoming).

Start by changing from "invaders" to "workers". Problem shrinks to statistical insignificance. Anecdotal crises, but statistical insignificance.
They cost more than they contribute in taxes...

What benefits do I personally receive from the mass invasion?
ValhallaBear
Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

Yummy beef enchiladas slathered in meat sauce with a side of rice and beans
Oldbear83
ValhallaBear said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

That's not beef ...
ValhallaBear
Oldbear83 said:

ValhallaBear said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

That's not beef ...
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

Opposing a border wall is like opposing school zones,

We need 'em, I don't give a rat's ass if you find them inconvenient.
You don't need to extend the school zone the length of the road. We can significanlyt slow illegal crossing by enforcing our laws, prison for violators, deportation after prison sentence, manpower, and technology, including border wall where it is practical and useful. Legalization of drugs, regulating them, and taxing them will go a long way to eliminating criminal drug trafficking and associated crimes. What we are doing now is not working and won't work unless the penalty is so severe no one will take the risk. Our country won't stand for those kinds of penalties. I don't think this country is willing to allow law enforcement to execute illegal crossers on the spot, and shooting down of undeclared aircraft flying into the country, which is what it would take to significantly curtail trafficking. We can make it easy for legitimate workers to come here and work and pay taxes.
Oldbear83
TS: "You don't need to extend the school zone the length of the road"

You establish a zone as far as it's needed. I know a place where four schools are close to each other, and the school zone runs almost two miles straight, because that is what is needed.

We damn well need a physical barrier every place where Nature has not already put one along our Southern border. Saying otherwise is dishonest or stupid, or both,
Oldbear83
TS: "We can make it easy for legitimate workers to come here and work and pay taxes."

False premise, No one is arguing against legal immigration, where criminal and medical checks are confirmed.

Doc Holliday
Why is it that that leftists place their moral superiority and their ideology over the results derived from it?

And as soon as you bring up the results...all their arguments refer back to moral superiority and ideology.

Rinse and repeat. This is why I don't think you can really get through to them without them being personally disenfranchised by their own medicine.
Aliceinbubbleland
Wichitabear said:

Homeland Security just announced. It is at a crisis!!!
Who runs Homeland Security? Is it a Trump appointee?
Doc Holliday
Why the hell does anyone think just because most of the drugs are seized at the port of entry that somehow this means that only drugs are going through the ports of entry?

Common sense says of course they're being caught there because that's where law enforcement is.

The drugs that are coming from the border are going through areas where there are no barriers or enforcement.
quash
Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

riflebear said:

quash said:

riflebear said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

And terminology matters: this is not a crisis of drugs, or crime, refugees. It is a policy cluster****. A wall or nothing approach misses the point.
Did you just say this isn't a crime of drugs or crime or refugees? What is it a crisis of then?
That's not actually true. If it were he would enforce the law where it would do the most good: on employers.
That would be quite traumatic for the economy as well as the workers who are already here.

But, but the "crisis".
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
quash
Doc Holliday said:

Why the hell does anyone think just because most of the drugs are seized at the port of entry that somehow this means that only drugs are going through the ports of entry?

Common sense says of course they're being caught there because that's where law enforcement is.

The drugs that are coming from the border are going through areas where there are no barriers or enforcement.

There is enforcement, what are you talking about?
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Doc Holliday
quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

If there's enforcement everywhere then how are 2000+ crossing illegally everyday?
quash
Canada2017 said:

Florda_mike said:

Canada2017 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

BrooksBearLives said:

riflebear said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Interesting take.

Country be dammed

TAMU stats, that is some sledding. Had a friend there in statistics grad program. Problem on the board, everyone scratching their heads. One guy says "It would take rocket scientist to figure this out." Another guy speaks up "NASA. No idea."
quash
Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

If there's enforcement everywhere then how are 2000+ crossing illegally everyday?

If there is no enforcement why are so many caught?
Doc Holliday
quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

I didn't say there was no enforcement altogether...just that there is no enforcement in plenty of areas, especially where there is no border wall.

What the hell are you even getting at here?
Oldbear83
quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

OK, I see we have to go to basics:

Where there are barriers and enforcement, illegals get caught

Where there are no barriers or law enforcement, illegals are not caught and enter the country.

Building walls costs a lot less than man-hours, and historically is very effective.

Next lesson: addition and subtraction
Doc Holliday
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

Where there are no barriers or law enforcement, illegals are not caught and enter the country.

Building walls costs a lot less than man-hours, and historically is very effective.

He won't even acknowledge that illegal immigrants cost more than they give back.
Sam Lowry
quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

riflebear said:

quash said:

riflebear said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

But, but the "crisis".
You said he created one, now you want to blame him for not creating two? Let's take one crisis at a time.
robby44
quash
Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

riflebear said:

quash said:

riflebear said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

But, but the "crisis".
You said he created one, now you want to blame him for not creating two? Let's take one crisis at a time.
I want to blame him for not fulfilling his oath to faithfully execute the law. "The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly." Abraham Lincoln
quash
Doc Holliday said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

He won't even acknowledge that illegal immigrants cost more than they give back.
Of course not: it's not true.
Wichitabear
You need to take a little trip down to the southern border in Texas and visit with the family and agents
Sam Lowry
quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

quash said:

Sam Lowry said:

riflebear said:

quash said:

riflebear said:

quash said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

But, but the "crisis".
I want to blame him for not fulfilling his oath to faithfully execute the law. "The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly." Abraham Lincoln
You're blaming him for not executing a law, specifically a law that would be less practical and prudent to fully enforce than the law regarding illegal entry. But he has the discretion, within the faithful execution of the law, to emphasize different aspects at different times.

It's ironic that Trump supporters are accused of having an all-or-nothing mentality when that mindset seems far more apparent in your own arguments. I don't know anyone who's actually against hiring more judges, for example. That doesn't mean we should rely exclusively on judges when the system is suddenly overloaded with bogus asylum claims. Likewise, there's no reason employers can't be held more accountable as the border is brought under better control.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.