This "border crisis" talk is dangerous for our democracy

70,438 Views | 693 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by quash
quash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Exactly. Those opium dens made ez PR.
Here on Earth the 'opium dens' were in Asia, not America.

Ok. Not sure where your Earth is, but on mine there were opium dens in America. "The jumping-off point for the gold fields was San Francisco, and the city's Chinatown became the site of numerous opium dens soon after the first Chinese arrived, around 1850. "
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Ok. Not sure where your Earth is, but on mine there were opium dens in America. "The jumping-off point for the gold fields was San Francisco, and the city's Chinatown became the site of numerous opium dens soon after the first Chinese arrived, around 1850. "
Does not pertain to heroin or cocaine. Try to keep up.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
quash
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

I am having a hard time keeping up. With all the times you are wrong.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

I see you are still o-for-the-week with substance, quash.

Canada2017
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

0 for 30 years
Oldbear83
Canada2017 said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

0 for 30 years
quash has had some good takes in the past, but since mid-January he's been like AOC's uglier brother took over his username.
quash
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Here is some substance for you.

Heroin is nit outlawed all over the world.

Opium dens were in America.

Cananda is an elitist.
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Here is some substance for you.

Heroin is nit outlawed all over the world.

Opium dens were in America.

Cananda is an elitist.
Still no substance, still misses the point, and quash still comes off like a 4th grader mad when he's not respected as some kind of authority.
Aliceinbubbleland
18 pages in and no one has changed their minds
Sam Lowry
Quash is right. Heroin is a form of opium. It's still a prescription drug in the UK.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Quash is right. Heroin is a form of opium. It's still a prescription drug in the UK.
Yes, Heroin is made from opium. But you miss the point, too. A hint is in the name.

Do you know why the drug was called 'Heroin'?

Do you know why the first heroin addicts were combat veterans?

That some nations reversed the ban is not the point.

That opium can be made into heroin is not the point.
Oldbear83
Aliceinbubbleland said:

18 pages in and no one has changed their minds
In twelve years + at this site and predecessors, maybe 4 people have been willing to reconsider their opinion and change.

It's never been common, and of course very, very few people come here to increase their knowledge or understanding of issues.
BrooksBearLives
Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TS: "We can make it easy for legitimate workers to come here and work and pay taxes."

False premise, No one is arguing against legal immigration, where criminal and medical checks are confirmed.

Except it is difficult for many to obtain get their Green Card, or at least it was a few years ago, the last time I experienced it with an employee.

I don't think a wall everywhere there is no physical geographic barrier is needed. I do agree there are some areas where it is needed. I do agree we need more personnel, more and better technology on the border. I also believe legalization and regulation of drugs will eliminate most of the criminal element on the border.

Reasonable

Which drugs would you legalize besides pot ?

BTW i was all for legal pot here in Colorado. Now not so sure it was a good idea .
Legalize it all, but regulated and taxed. It has been successfully tried in Europe. Provide safe areas for addicts to to addictive drugs who use them, but provide programs to encourage them to get off of drugs and not use them. Those costs, I believe, would be significantly less costly than what we are currently expending on drug interdiction and prison.

I don't think pot is any worse than alcohol, and is probably safer and less addictive.

Let me get this straight......

You want to legalize hard drugs like meth, heroin, cocaine, quaaludes and crack ?
Why not? What we have been doing is a failure. It would be less costly to enforce with less violence. For those that have to have hard drugs, make them available in a controlled regulated environment. Have Narcan available for possible ODs. Provide clean needles, counseling and assistance or those who want to get off of drugs. Europe has had success with legalization where it was tried. Legalization is successful in Portugal, and drug use has declined significantly.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/22/opinion/sunday/portugal-drug-decriminalization.html

http://time.com/longform/portugal-drug-use-decriminalization/

No offense ...but you are out of your mind .

Legalize heroin, crack cocaine, meth and quaaludes and death rates would skyrocket from their current high levels.

Hospitalization costs would be staggering .

Destruction upon families incalculable.

In what field is your scientific research ?

BTW in Portugal consumption of heroin and cocaine has risen since it was legalized. ' modestly '
I don't think so. I think it would lead to less use, and less costs. I don't think it would cost any more than the current war on drugs, with less deaths. I used to think otherwise, but after a few years of a friend who was a Customs Air Interdiction Pilot, convinced me legalization would be better overall and cheaper than what Customs, Coast Guard, and DEA are unsuccessfully attempting. After listening to him, he convinced me, that what we are doing isn't working, and that our government isn't really serious about stopping drug trafficking. Legalization takes the profit out of it for the criminals.
Stop for a moment, and think about why those drugs were made illegal in the first place. Cocaine and Heroin were at one time perfectly legal.

There's a damn good reason they were outlawed. Not just in the US but worldwide.

Heroin is not outlawed worldwide, it is prescribed in many countries, putting the lie to the US and Schedule 1.
Nice duck, but you missed the point. Some countries have un-banned Heroin, but went from being legal in the 1920s to outlawed in every first-world nation.

Again, there is a very good reason for that. Denial is not a good method for working that out.

Tou made a claim that heroin is outlawed worldwide. You are wrong. No ducking here, that's your go-to move.
I said it was outlawed. Some nations were foolish enough to undo that action. And that does not change the fact that you are still hiding from why drugs like heroin and cocaine were outlawed in the first place.

Why? The same reasons alcohol was outlawed. The quick response and thought was, make it illegal and the problems go away. The lessons learned during and after Prohibition should be applied to legalizing drugs.
Awfully empty argument for someone who claims to use the Scientific Method.

It doesn't take scientific method, just a good understanding of history.

That was an ad hominem.

Do better.
Oldbear83
BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Canada2017 said:

TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

TS: "We can make it easy for legitimate workers to come here and work and pay taxes."

False premise, No one is arguing against legal immigration, where criminal and medical checks are confirmed.

Except it is difficult for many to obtain get their Green Card, or at least it was a few years ago, the last time I experienced it with an employee.

I don't think a wall everywhere there is no physical geographic barrier is needed. I do agree there are some areas where it is needed. I do agree we need more personnel, more and better technology on the border. I also believe legalization and regulation of drugs will eliminate most of the criminal element on the border.

Reasonable

Which drugs would you legalize besides pot ?

BTW i was all for legal pot here in Colorado. Now not so sure it was a good idea .
Legalize it all, but regulated and taxed. It has been successfully tried in Europe. Provide safe areas for addicts to to addictive drugs who use them, but provide programs to encourage them to get off of drugs and not use them. Those costs, I believe, would be significantly less costly than what we are currently expending on drug interdiction and prison.

I don't think pot is any worse than alcohol, and is probably safer and less addictive.

Let me get this straight......

You want to legalize hard drugs like meth, heroin, cocaine, quaaludes and crack ?
Why not? What we have been doing is a failure. It would be less costly to enforce with less violence. For those that have to have hard drugs, make them available in a controlled regulated environment. Have Narcan available for possible ODs. Provide clean needles, counseling and assistance or those who want to get off of drugs. Europe has had success with legalization where it was tried. Legalization is successful in Portugal, and drug use has declined significantly.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/22/opinion/sunday/portugal-drug-decriminalization.html

http://time.com/longform/portugal-drug-use-decriminalization/

No offense ...but you are out of your mind .

Legalize heroin, crack cocaine, meth and quaaludes and death rates would skyrocket from their current high levels.

Hospitalization costs would be staggering .

Destruction upon families incalculable.

In what field is your scientific research ?

BTW in Portugal consumption of heroin and cocaine has risen since it was legalized. ' modestly '
I don't think so. I think it would lead to less use, and less costs. I don't think it would cost any more than the current war on drugs, with less deaths. I used to think otherwise, but after a few years of a friend who was a Customs Air Interdiction Pilot, convinced me legalization would be better overall and cheaper than what Customs, Coast Guard, and DEA are unsuccessfully attempting. After listening to him, he convinced me, that what we are doing isn't working, and that our government isn't really serious about stopping drug trafficking. Legalization takes the profit out of it for the criminals.
Stop for a moment, and think about why those drugs were made illegal in the first place. Cocaine and Heroin were at one time perfectly legal.

There's a damn good reason they were outlawed. Not just in the US but worldwide.

Heroin is not outlawed worldwide, it is prescribed in many countries, putting the lie to the US and Schedule 1.
Nice duck, but you missed the point. Some countries have un-banned Heroin, but went from being legal in the 1920s to outlawed in every first-world nation.

Again, there is a very good reason for that. Denial is not a good method for working that out.

Tou made a claim that heroin is outlawed worldwide. You are wrong. No ducking here, that's your go-to move.
I said it was outlawed. Some nations were foolish enough to undo that action. And that does not change the fact that you are still hiding from why drugs like heroin and cocaine were outlawed in the first place.

Why? The same reasons alcohol was outlawed. The quick response and thought was, make it illegal and the problems go away. The lessons learned during and after Prohibition should be applied to legalizing drugs.
Awfully empty argument for someone who claims to use the Scientific Method.

It doesn't take scientific method, just a good understanding of history.

That was an ad hominem.

Do better.
Dishonest on your part BBL, to ignore TS's hypocrisy.

Find a mirror when preaching to someone else.
quash
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Yes, Heroin is made from opium. But you miss the point, too. A hint is in the name.

And I guess your two errors are not the point.
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

And I guess my errors are not the point.
Fixed for accuracy.
quash
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Fixed for accuracy.

Hey, if President Trump signs your bible you can get 6G. Think how much faster you could be wrong.
Oldbear83
quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Fixed for accuracy.

Hey, if President Trump signs your bible you can get 6G. Think how much faster you could be wrong.
Ahhh, more of that 4th-grade wit we have come to expect from quash
BrooksBearLives
Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Fixed for accuracy.

So you realize that Sam AND Quash -who agree rarely- both explained to you that you we're wrong and how you we're wrong and your response was to start insulting people, right?

Because we all see it.

Take the "L" homey. Move on.
Florda_mike
BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Fixed for accuracy.

So you realize that Sam AND Quash -who agree rarely- both explained to you that you we're wrong and how you we're wrong and your response was to start insulting people, right?

Because we all see it.

And just when has your young dumas take the "L" and, as you say, "moved on?"

Never mind, I know you would never self search!
Oldbear83
BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Fixed for accuracy.

Because we all see it.

Sam has been wring before, and lately quash has been consistently wrong. I was clear about the difference between "was made illegal " and "stayed illegal " maybe you should break out a dictionary and catch up?

Also. Opium references are not germane to why heroin and cocaine were made illegal. Yet you ignore that point as well.

You are not exactly making a good case when all you can do is taunt.
BrooksBearLives
Oldbear83 said:

BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

quash said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Fixed for accuracy.

Because we all see it.

Sam has been wring before, and lately quash has been consistently wrong. I was clear about the difference between "was made illegal " and "stayed illegal " maybe you should break out a dictionary and catch up?

Also. Opium references are not germane to why heroin and cocaine were made illegal. Yet you ignore that point as well.

You are not exactly making a good case when all you can do is taunt.

"I'm not wrong, you're wrong!"

Okay, homey.

I take it back. You're KILLING it.
Oldbear83
Easier to snark than think for you, BBL?

Come on, you're better than that.
BrooksBearLives
Oldbear83 said:

I'll use a fact when you do.

You have, time and again, just ignored facts that you don't like. You're completely ignorant of the causes of opium and heroin, and you don't care.

There is no talking to you.
Canada2017
Ignore immigration laws, dissolve ICE, increase taxes, assault corporations and legalize meth, heroin and cocaine.

Winning hand

Who could possibly doubt it ?

quash
Canada2017 said:

Ignore immigration laws, dissolve ICE, increase taxes, assault corporations and legalize meth, heroin and cocaine.

Winning hand

Reform immigration, decrease taxes, remove regulations that protect corporations and end the failed Drug War.

All increases of freedom, all part of the LP for decades.
Canada2017
quash said:

Canada2017 said:

Winning hand

Reform immigration, decrease taxes, remove regulations that protect corporations and end the failed Drug War.

Failed drug war will look great compared to tens of thousands of additional corpses annually.

The US already admits more immigrants LEGALLY than any other country in the world. No 'reform' needed except to stop illegal immigration.

Corporations are not the enemy...they produce jobs, goods and services. Dead weight, useless losers are far more of a drain on our society .

Oldbear83
BrooksBearLives said:

Oldbear83 said:

I'll use a fact when you do.

You have, time and again, just ignored facts that you don't like. You're completely ignorant of the causes of opium and heroin, and you don't care.

There is no talking to you.
Not true.

I keep going back to the fact that cocaine and heroin were widely banned, and for good reason.

Quash and Sam focus on the legalization by some countries, ignoring the reason for the initial ban, and falsely link heroin and cocaine to the opium dens of the late 19th century.

I can show you facts, but you keep denying them in hopes your emotion will somehow coalesce into fact.

One more time - do you know why heroin got that name? Do you know why most heroin addicts were combat veterans?

It's relevant and important, but if you refuse to look you will never understand.
Sam Lowry
Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

Winning hand

Failed drug war will look great compared to tens of thousands of additional corpses annually.

The US already admits more immigrants LEGALLY than any other country in the world. No 'reform' needed except to stop illegal immigration.

Corporations are not the enemy...they produce jobs, goods and services. Dead weight, useless losers are far more of a drain on our society .

Drug criminalization is a significant cause of death. It makes the products more dangerous because of increased concentration, unreliable dosage, and impurities. It also empowers and enriches violent criminals.
Canada2017
Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

Winning hand

Drug criminalization is a significant cause of death. It makes the products more dangerous because of increased concentration, unreliable dosage, and impurities. It also empowers and enriches violent criminals.

All true

Would be worse if legal
Sam Lowry
Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

Winning hand

All true

Would be worse if legal
Based on what evidence? It's been legal before.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

Winning hand

All true

Would be worse if legal
Depends on when, where and why in both directions. Criminalizing drugs hurts some innocents, legalization hurts other innocents. A lot of the noise on both ends sees only what they want to see.
Canada2017
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Canada2017 said:

quash said:

Canada2017 said:

Winning hand

All true

Would be worse if legal
Depends on when, where and why in both directions. Criminalizing drugs hurts some innocents, legalization hurts other innocents. A lot of the noise on both ends sees only what they want to see.

Man is that ever the truth .
quash
There are no perfect solutions. But I prefer the choices that increase personal liberty. Having a telos helps in making tough policy calls, beats hell out of picking a jersey color to support.
Oldbear83
quash said:

There are no perfect solutions. But I prefer the choices that increase personal liberty. Having a telos helps in making tough policy calls, beats hell out of picking a jersey color to support.
Still substance-free, I see.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.