On this day in history...

164,422 Views | 1896 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by LIB,MR BEARS
historian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
August 3:

1492: Columbus set sail with the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria sailing westward to establish a new trade route with east Asia. Instead, he would discover America, without realizing it, and transform the world.

1914: Germany and France declared war on each other, the culmination of a series of events that began WWI.

1923: Calvin Coolidge was sworn in as president after the death of Warren G. Harding. His father administered the oath with the family Bible.

1948: Former communist Whittaker Chambers accused Alger Hiss of being a communist spy. Hiss was a top State Department official, having advised both FDR & Trumanincluding at the important Yalta Conference. Evidence would later prove this to be true.

1949: Birth of the NBA.

1958: The Nautilus submarine sailed underneath the North Pole.

1965: CNS television broadcast of US Marines burning a Vietnamese village sparked outrage.
Wichitabear
1492 Now we're tearing down his statue. Crazy!
historian
We're letting Marxist thugs rewrite our history and tell everyone what they are allowed to think. Utterly insane!
historian
August 4:

1753: George Washington became a Master Mason.

1854: Publication of Henry David Thoreau's Walden, describing his life of semi-solitude in the woods putting into action his transcendentalist beliefs.

1892: Lizzie Borden murdered her parents with an axe.

1914: Pres. Woodrow Wilson announced that America would remain neutral in the war that had begun in Europe, WWI.

1942: The U.S. and Mexico signed the Mexican Farm Labor Agreement which created the "Bracero Program" allowing Mexican citizens to legally work on American farms.

1944: Due to the actions of a Dutch informer, the Gestapo arrested Anne Frank and her family resulting on their being sent to Bergen-Belsen, a concentration camp in Poland where she would die of tuberculosis.

1964: The remains of three civil rights workers (Michael Schwerner, Andrew Goodman, and James Chaney), were found in rural Mississippi where they had been murdered by the KKK.

2012: Oscar Pistorius became the first amputee runner to compete in the Olympics.
Jack Bauer
Today is my birthday, and this is one of my favorite moments from August 4th.

Wichitabear
Jack Bauer said:

Today is my birthday, and this is one of my favorite moments from August 4th.

I always enjoy watching that!
historian
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
historian
August 5:

1858: Completion of the first transatlantic cable making possible direct instant communication between the U.S. and Europe for the first time.

1861: Pres. Abraham Lincoln imposed the first federal income tax, although it was unconstitutional.

1864: Admiral David Farragut won a major Union victory in the Battle of Mobile Bay, one of the last major Southern ports used by the Confederacy.

1914: The first electric traffic signal was installed in Cleveland.

1944: As the Red Army advanced on Warsaw, hundreds of Jews were liberated from a German forced labor camp by the Polish resistance.

1962: Marilyn Monroe was found dead at her home in Los Angeles.

1963: The U.S., the Soviet Union, and Great Britain signed the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty. Less than a year after the Cuban Missile Crisis, three of the world's nuclear powers agreed to limit future atomic tests. It was seen as a first step towards reducing the dangers of those weapons.

1981: Pres. Ronald Reagan fired over 11,000 air traffic controllers. They had illegally gone on strike earlier and he had delivered an ultimatum: return to work or lose your job. He followed through on the threat when they called his bluff. He was not bluffing.

2002: Divers recovered the turret of the U.S.S. Monitor, one of the original ironclad warships from the Civil War.
Wichitabear
1981. Loved Reagan.
historian
Reagan was a true leader. One of the best we have had in the past 150 years.
LIB,MR BEARS
Reagan was the last president we had that had the stones to do something like that.

We have become a soft society and would never tolerate that type of action today. The media and most of the populace are proving me correct in the treatment of Trump.

(and no,Trump is not and could never be a Reagan)
historian
I AGREE WITH ALL OF THE ABOVE.
historian
1787: The Constitutional Convention debated the first complete draft of the Constitution.

1890: William Kemmler, who had been convicted of murdering his lover, became the first person to be executed in an electric chair.

1911: Birthday of Lucille Ball

1926: Gertrude Ederle became the first woman to swim the English Channel.

1928: Birthday of artist Andy Warhol

1945: The American B-29 bomber Enola Gaydropped an atomic bomb over the Japanese city of Hiroshima killing 50-60,000 instantly (estimates vary greatly).

1965: Pres. Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Voting Rights Act into law. For the first time, the rights of all Americans to voteespecially minoritieswould be protected and enforced systematically throughout the nation.
historian

Stranger
Crank up the Enola Gay!
historian
Last time I was in Washington was when the Enola Gay was at the Smithsonian for a special exhibit--with lots of political controversy because of the idiotic p.c. nature of he exhibit. I did not have enough time to do see the whole exhibit but what I saw was interesting.
historian
August 7:

1782: George Washington created the Purple Heart.

1942: US invasion of Japanese-held Guadalcanal began.

1964: Congress passed the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution authorizing Pres. Lyndon Johnson to use military force in Vietnam. We all know how well that went.

1998: US Embassies in Kenya & Tanzania were bombed by al Qaeda terrorists.
historian
August 8:

1863: Gen. Robert E. Lee offered his resignation to Confederate Pres. Jefferson Davis, weeks after their defeat at Gettysburg. The offer was declined.

1918: The Allies attacked the Germans in France beginning the Battle of Amiens.

1942: German saboteurs were executed in Washington, D.C.

1945: The Soviet Union declared war on Japan (as promised at Yalta) and invaded Manchuria.

1974: Pres. Nixon resigned.

1988: The first night game at Wrigley Field as the Cubs hosted the Mets.
whitetrash
historian said:

August 8:

1988: The first night game at Wrigley Field as the Cubs hosted the Mets.
The August 8 game was against the Phillies and was rained out in the 3rd. Mets and Cubs completed the first full night game on the 9th.
Jack Bauer
On Aug. 8, 1997, Randy Johnson dominated the White Sox, striking out 19 batters en route to a 5-0 victory.

Career Strikeout Leaders
1 Nolan Ryan 5,714
2 Randy Johnson 4,875
3 Roger Clemens 4,672
4 Steve Carlton 4,136

historian
August 9:

378: A large Roman army under the emperor of the East, Valens, was defeated by the Visigoths at the Battle of Adrianople.

1936: In the Berlin Olympics Jesse Owen won his 4th gold medal, in the 4x100 meter relay. The relay team set a new world record in the process.

1945: The U.S. dropped an atomic bomb on Nagasaki causing destruction comparable to the Hiroshima bomb 3 days earlier. Soon after, the Japanese announced their willingness to surrender and WWII came to an end.

1969: Charles Manson's cult killed 5 people.

1974: Gerald Ford was sworn in as President of the United States.
historian
August 10:

1793: Opening of the Louvre Museum in Paris.

1846: The Smithsonian Institution was created.

1945: Japan accepted the Allied terms and surrendered unconditionally ending WWII.
historian
August 11:

1919: Germany adopted the Weimar Constitution. It was a weak & ineffective government born in the aftermath of the defeat in WWI and eventually producing Chancellor Hitler.

1919 - Green Bay Packers were founded by Curly Lambeau and Whitney Calhoun

1965: Riots began in the Watts neighborhood of LA.

1951 The 1st color telecast of a baseball game. The Boston Braves defeated the Brooklyn Dodgers 8-1.
historian
August 12:

30: Cleopatra committed suicide.

1676: King Philip's War ended when Philip was assassinated.

1898: Armistice ending the Spanish-American War.

1941: Atlantic Charter signed by FDR & Churchill.
historian
August 13:

1521: Hernan Cortes conquered the Aztec capital.

1961: East Germans began construction of the Berlin Wall.

1981: Pres. Reagan signed into law the first series of tax cuts of his administration. This helped to usher in economic recovery and eventual boom throughout the 1980s.

1995: Death of Mickey Mantle.
Nguyen One Soon
historian said:

August 13:

Mantle was one of my heroes as a youth. Met him in Waco in, I believe, the late '80's. A friend worked for Charlie Pack. I went by to see him one day, and he said there's someone here I'd like you to meet. We walked into Charlie's office, and there set The Mick.
historian
That is so cool. It's not often you get a chance to meet one your heroes--especially in a personal manner like that.
historian
August 14:

1784: Russians settled Alaska.

1935: FDR signed Social Security Act into law.

1945: Steve Martin was born in Waco, Texas.

1994: Terrorist Carlos the Jackal captured.
LIB,MR BEARS
Nguyen One Soon said:

historian said:

August 13:

Mantle was one of my heroes as a youth. Met him in Waco in, I believe, the late '80's. A friend worked for Charlie Pack. I went by to see him one day, and he said there's someone here I'd like you to meet. We walked into Charlie's office, and there set The Mick.
Was this in an office on Sanger Ave?
Nguyen One Soon
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Nguyen One Soon said:

historian said:

August 13:

Yes
MrGolfguy
Aug 14, 1982

Navajo Code Talkers Day is 1st celebrated (they were very instrumental in the victory at the Battle of Iwo Jima during WWII)
historian
MrGolfguy said:

Aug 14, 1982

Navajo Code Talkers Day is 1st celebrated (they were very instrumental in the victory at the Battle of Iwo Jima during WWII)
I did not realize they had their own "day". I guess almost everyone does today. No doubt they were very important for the entire war on the Pacific--especially at Iwo Jima.
historian
August 15:

1057: King Macbeth killed by Malcolm Canmore

1914: Panama Canal opened to traffic

1945: Emperor Hirohito announced Japan's surrender to the Allies over the radio. For most Japanese, it was the first time they had heard his voice.

1947: Pakistan and India won their independence from the British Empire.

1969: beginning of Woodstock festival
historian
August 16:

1812: The U.S. surrendered Fort Detroit to the British during the War of 1812.

1896: Gold was discovered in the Yukon.

1948: Death of Babe Ruth.

1976: Death of Elvis Presley.
LIB,MR BEARS
Nguyen One Soon said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Nguyen One Soon said:

historian said:

August 13:

Yes
My dad took me up there to meet him as well. I wasn't as enamored with him as my dad. I barely knew who he was. It was the players of the 70's that I was in awe of,

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.