Football
Sponsored by

BU fball players investigated for sexual assault

106,389 Views | 687 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by DioNoZeus
boognish_bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mac not missing a chance to jump on the dog pile...

Baylor has a chance to finally get it right on sexual assault charges

Mac Engel
More off-field bad news for the Baylor Bears, but this time it comes on Matt Rhule's watch.
Baylor, here is your chance to show that you're all grown up.

Here is your chance to handle this, and be transparent.

Please write a new chapter rather than stick to the old one.

On Thursday night, a report by KWTX in Waco said a pair of redshirt Baylor football players are currently under investigation for sexually assaulting two members of the Baylor equestrian team.

If this sounds familiar it's because this report reads like too many of the other incidents that the school failed to adequately address for far too long.

This is what we know something happened to warrant a police report, and there remains a faction within Baylor that still leans to the side of former football coach Art Briles.

We know when it comes to this subject, Baylor's credibility is trash.

If another alleged sexual assault at Baylor was going to happen, the question was how would the school deal with the matter.

There is considerable murkiness in this latest report that should create reasonable doubt as to what exactly happened in the early morning of Nov. 12, following Baylor's game against Texas Tech in Arlington.

The KWTX report said there were "at least two" football players involved, who were redshirts.

If it's two, say that. If it's three, say that.

Were they freshmen who were redshirting, or were they players who were listed on the roster as redshirt players, such as sophomores or juniors?

That dynamic changes everything.

A true redshirt is not playing; he's standing on the sideline in street clothes.

If they were players who were redshirt sophomores, they could have been involved in the incident, and then still played in the Bears' remaining two games against Iowa State and TCU.

The police reports filed are heavily redacted. There are also several details that are non-specific, including how many assailants were potentially involved.

No arrests were made, nor have any charges been filed.

Sources said Baylor football coach Matt Rhule met with the players in question, and thus far no official action has been taken by the school. The school is investigating the matter.

Sources also said that once this issue became public - one of the people involved reportedly put the video taped act on social media - the issue was immediately turned over to Baylor's Title IX office.

Since the Baylor scandal, college athletic departments are now immediately turning over such matters to the main administration offices, and Title IX departments.

Baylor issued the following statement: "Baylor University takes any allegation of sexual assault seriously. The University is unwavering in our commitment to follow our well-documented Title IX policy and procedures in regards to reporting and responding to incidents of sexual assault. Additionally, the University is required to protect the confidentiality of all parties involved to ensure a fair and equitable process.

"The responsibility of responding to alleged incidents of sexual violence does not rest solely in the hands of any specific individual or unit. It is a University response dictated by our Title IX policy. Baylor University remains committed to providing for the safety and security of our campus community."

Such a statement doesn't say much, but it's more than the school did under the previous regime.

The timeline would fly at nearly every other university, except the one that for decades refused to acknowledge sex occurs between non-married parties, and worked hard to deny the existence of sexual assault.

Baylor has spent millions and worked to clean up its previous issues, but everything is not perfect; to fully clean this one up requires a shift not in the culture of the football team, but rather that of the university's administration.

The issue of dealing with sexual assault at Baylor was not just to Briles' football program, but the entire school. The problem was the football team functioned like a front porch to the university.

Almost immediately after Rhule accepted the job as Briles' full-time replacement, the former Temple coach often spoke of the need to turn over any talk of sexual assault to trained Title IX officers, and the need to respect women.

The rhetoric is appropriate, but did Baylor actually stop to listen to the alleged victims, or are the school's leaders still running in fear and trying to maintain the status quo in an effort to make bad news just go away?

Did any of the football coaches try to talk to any of the victims? Was there any degree of victim shaming involved? Was there any motivation on the part of anyone involved to protect the football team rather than aid a victim?

This latest incident is full of holes, but something did happen. Something that required a police report. An investigation.

And if the answer to any of these questions is yes, Baylor's tragedy, and scandal, is not over.

It will have just added another chapter.
Keyser Soze
JusHappy2BeHere said:

Keyser Soze said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

Keyser Soze said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

Keyser Soze said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

and your posts like this is why the simple minded on here will say as fact that Briles covered up rape....never let it leave the office... even though there is no proof that this ever happened.

1 week freshman with a beer doesn't equal rape cover up.

and yes the texts were cherry picked and without the entire conversation mean little...

the milk? Grow up

There is only no proof to butt hurt crowd, but you have been told what it is - you just double down on conspiracy.

Briles discussed it with Barnes and McCaw - all three acknowledge this, and yes it really didn't leave the office. Assistant coaches met with the mother. Assistant coaches met with players. Nothing happened.

In all fairness and full disclosures to those who don't read a lot. There is mixed opinions as to what coaches thought was the correct obligation to report this at the time. Barnes incorrectly thought the victim must report this to JA. Briles claims to think the same, but PH believed otherwise because of his knowledge of an other ongoing case he was aware of.

They also provided enough context for the text messages only an apologist would say they mean nothing without more

When this was brought to Briles weren't 3 of the perps already out of school and the 4th on his way out? Hadn't the incident already been reported to Briles superior in Athletics?

There is no context provided only a schill would think so
The obligation was to report to Judicial Affairs - Briles was also aware his superior was also not reporting it.

There is plenty of context if you want to take the time to find it - I'm not you your Wikipedia

there is plenty if your aim is to paint Briles as evil.

I imagine I could pull out six texts from just about anybody over the last 6 years and make them look pretty bad

You do know there is a whole lot more than those six text right?

why not release the entire thread?

it's obvious they want Briles to look bad to deflect attention onto him and away from the BOR and folks like you are more than willing to help them... why not show the entire conversation instead of just those cherry picked text messages?
Have you ever bothered to read the entire Shillinglaw response?

Malbec
JusHappy2BeHere said:

the fact that you don't think that the BOR cherry picked, without providing any context a few texts that they knew would put Briles in the worst possible light is just staggering. Given their conduct beginning with the WSJ article you should be shocked if they didn't....

but then you still cling to trying to keep a freshman with a beer in his first week on campus away from judicial affairs equals Briles MUST have covered up rape so...
Keyser and the BOR:
Keyser Soze
Malbec said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

the fact that you don't think that the BOR cherry picked, without providing any context a few texts that they knew would put Briles in the worst possible light is just staggering. Given their conduct beginning with the WSJ article you should be shocked if they didn't....

but then you still cling to trying to keep a freshman with a beer in his first week on campus away from judicial affairs equals Briles MUST have covered up rape so...
Keyser and the BOR:

Amazing that nothing material has ever surfaced to contradict what they said. Things surface one way or the other .... yet nada.

Same question to you - do you ever bother to read what they said in Shillinglaw (and we all know what it is) ?

JusHappy2BeHere
Keyser Soze said:

Malbec said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

Keyser and the BOR:

Amazing that nothing material has ever surfaced to contradict what they said. Things surface one way or the other .... yet nada.

Same question to you - do you ever bother to read what they said in Shillinglaw (and we all know what it is) ?

it's almost like the people in a position to contradict the BOR Narrative are under a Non-Disclosure! Who would have believed such a thing.....

Stormy something?
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
Malbec
I don't deal in self-preservationist rhetoric. You do...as long as it aligns with your narrative. Shillinglaw's attorney had a pleading too. You don't quote it as gospel. And you shouldn't, because it is as worthless as the other side's.
Dman
Guys. Give Keyser a break. It's hard work shilling for the BoR. It's hard and exhausting to be as blatantly hypocritical as he is..day after day. It takes a lot to leave all self respect and intellectual honesty at the door every day. He has had to become the exact thing that he claims to hate..a direct reverse reflection of a Cab'er.

No mattter the spin. Everyone failed our university In some way. Briles, Ian, Star, and yes..even the BOR. Across the spectrum. However, Not everyone was held accountable. Only one remains in the position they were before this epic university wide failure. This is the undeniable truth Keyser must try to counter...every day. Please don't underestimate the toll this degree of self delusion takes on a mans psyche. Give him a break.
YoakDaddy
JusHappy2BeHere said:

Keyser Soze said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

Keyser Soze said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

Keyser Soze said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

and your posts like this is why the simple minded on here will say as fact that Briles covered up rape....never let it leave the office... even though there is no proof that this ever happened.

1 week freshman with a beer doesn't equal rape cover up.

and yes the texts were cherry picked and without the entire conversation mean little...

the milk? Grow up

There is only no proof to butt hurt crowd, but you have been told what it is - you just double down on conspiracy.

Briles discussed it with Barnes and McCaw - all three acknowledge this, and yes it really didn't leave the office. Assistant coaches met with the mother. Assistant coaches met with players. Nothing happened.

In all fairness and full disclosures to those who don't read a lot. There is mixed opinions as to what coaches thought was the correct obligation to report this at the time. Barnes incorrectly thought the victim must report this to JA. Briles claims to think the same, but PH believed otherwise because of his knowledge of an other ongoing case he was aware of.

They also provided enough context for the text messages only an apologist would say they mean nothing without more

When this was brought to Briles weren't 3 of the perps already out of school and the 4th on his way out? Hadn't the incident already been reported to Briles superior in Athletics?

There is no context provided only a schill would think so
The obligation was to report to Judicial Affairs - Briles was also aware his superior was also not reporting it.

There is plenty of context if you want to take the time to find it - I'm not you your Wikipedia

there is plenty if your aim is to paint Briles as evil.

I imagine I could pull out six texts from just about anybody over the last 6 years and make them look pretty bad

You do know there is a whole lot more than those six text right?

it's obvious they want Briles to look bad to deflect attention onto him and away from the BOR

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!!
YoakDaddy
Sorry to say, but I agree with Engel on that piece. Another chapter has begun.
NoBSU
YoakDaddy said:

That's not what he said
YoakDaddy
NoBSU said:

YoakDaddy said:

That's not what he said

Read his last paragraph then his last sentence. Engel has posted some vile BS about us in the past, but his questions regarding the latest incident are worth asking.
NoBSU
YoakDaddy said:

NoBSU said:

YoakDaddy said:

That's not what he said

Read his last paragraph then his last sentence. Engel has posted some vile BS about us in the past, but his questions regarding the latest incident are worth asking.
U did read it. He says if things were not done right it then scandal continues. "If" not a new chapter "has" began as you said.
YoakDaddy
NoBSU said:

YoakDaddy said:

NoBSU said:

YoakDaddy said:

That's not what he said

U did read it. He says if things were not done right it then scandal continues. "If" not a new chapter "has" began as you said.

If I was Baylor (and I'm sure many are glad that I'm not) and I had new procedures blessed by a few outside entities, I'd be shouting high that everything was done the right way according to procedure. Why keep it quiet and why just one press release? Why have they not stated the consequences for the players during the investigation? We're there other players involved that didn't travel with the team that night that were there? There's too many outstanding, unanswered questions for me to defend them; therefore, I'm agreeing with Engel at this point and I believe a new chapter has begun.
Robemcdo
It would seem pretty clear that after throwing Art and his players under the bus and making them the sole villains in this debacle having some of Rhules boys n trouble did not 'fit the gd narrative '. Not a chance that proper procedures were followed . Not a chance.
MilliVanilli
Robemcdo said:

It would seem pretty clear that after throwing Art and his players under the bus and making them the sole villains in this debacle having some of Rhules boys n trouble did not 'fit the gd narrative '. Not a chance that proper procedures were followed . Not a chance.
You're a con man and a shill for a fired boob that is lucky he wasn't prosecuted for some of his corruption, we get it, you're a shameless hack with an agenda on a message board.

No one cares other than a select group of obnoxious people just as vile as yourself.
NoBSU
Robemcdo said:

You hope that proper procedures were not followed because you aren't a Baylor fan. Of course you have held off calling these girls lying *****s so you might be showing some level of character finally.

NoBSU
YoakDaddy said:

NoBSU said:

YoakDaddy said:

NoBSU said:

YoakDaddy said:

That's not what he said

If I was Baylor (and I'm sure many are glad that I'm not) and I had new procedures blessed by a few outside entities, I'd be shouting high that everything was done the right way according to procedure. Why keep it quiet and why just one press release? Why have they not stated the consequences for the players during the investigation? We're there other players involved that didn't travel with the team that night that were there? There's too many outstanding, unanswered questions for me to defend them; therefore, I'm agreeing with Engel at this point and I believe a new chapter has begun.
If you followed your new procedures or not, then you keep quiet until the police and DA make the next step. There should be no rush by Baylor.

D. C. Bear
NoBSU said:

YoakDaddy said:

NoBSU said:

YoakDaddy said:

NoBSU said:

YoakDaddy said:

That's not what he said

If you followed your new procedures or not, then you keep quiet until the police and DA make the next step. There should be no rush by Baylor.

I am confident that correct procedures were followed. Correct procedures include not making public statements. Assuming the case discussed by the DA is the same one, it was appropriately referred to the DA's office, too. Of course, universities should not be investigating felonies like that, but it is what it is.
Amarillobear
MilliVanilli said:

Robemcdo said:

You're a con man and a shill for a fired boob that is lucky he wasn't prosecuted for some of his corruption, we get it, you're a shameless hack with an agenda on a message board.

No one cares other than a select group of obnoxious people just as vile as yourself.
What makes you feel so entitled to judge others on this site? Not everyone on this site shares your opinions of things that have happened and that does not make them vile people. Not everyone on this site even cares what your opinion is for that matter.
I am a Baylor letterman, a Baylor graduate and I love Baylor.
NoBSU
D. C. Bear said:

NoBSU said:

YoakDaddy said:

NoBSU said:

YoakDaddy said:

NoBSU said:

YoakDaddy said:

That's not what he said

I am confident that correct procedures were followed. Correct procedures include not making public statements. Assuming the case discussed by the DA is the same one, it was appropriately referred to the DA's office, too. Of course, universities should not be investigating felonies like that, but it is what it is.
If you do the front-end right in Nov/Dec, then you can wait on the DA.

Call me old, but I am fine with Baylor booting students sharing home-made porn especially if the partner did not know there was a camera. If that is what this is ...
YoakDaddy
MilliVanilli said:

Amarillobear said:

MilliVanilli said:

Robemcdo said:

What makes you feel so entitled to judge others on this site? Not everyone on this site shares your opinions of things that have happened and that does not make them vile people. Not everyone on this site even cares what your opinion is for that matter.
If you are so blind at this late juncture not to see that foul person's hateful agenda then join him as a shameless coward.

I'll remember you as such henceforth.

There's no need for the name calling.
MilliVanilli
YoakDaddy said:

MilliVanilli said:

Amarillobear said:

MilliVanilli said:

Robemcdo said:

If you are so blind at this late juncture not to see that foul person's hateful agenda then join him as a shameless coward.

You thin skinned people really are oblivious peddlers of double standards.

To call all alleged rape victims liars is the act of a coward, to peddle lies for a disgraced and fired regime is cowardice, to say convicted murderers are innocent with zero proof beyond a personal dislike of a prosecutor and pretending that will exonerate Ian McCaw or anyone else is asinine.

If you don't like cowards being called out for being cowardly then curb the behavior.

D. C. Bear
YoakDaddy said:

MilliVanilli said:

Amarillobear said:

MilliVanilli said:

Robemcdo said:

A friendly reminder, there no need for replying. DFTT.

PacificBear
If Rhule knew about this and they're still on the team then he should be fired. What if this was your daughter.
D. C. Bear
PacificBear said:

If Rhule knew about this and they're still on the team then he should be fired. What if this was your daughter.

If my daughter was willingly having sex with at least two guys, I hope she would be kicked off the team, too.
boognish_bear
PacificBear said:

Would you not want them found guilty first before kicking them off? I can see suspending while the investigation is ongoing...but kicking them off based on accusations only seems premature.
bear2be2
boognish_bear said:

PacificBear said:

Would you not want them found guilty first before kicking them off? I can see suspending while the investigation is ongoing...but kicking them off based on accusations only seems premature.
Exactly. There is a process here. The correct course of action is to report the allegations to the proper authorities, remove the player(s) from team activities and let the investigation(s) dictate how you proceed from there.

Failure to do the first and second is unfair to the accuser. Failure to do the third is unfair to the accused. Both deserve to have their sides heard before a final judgment is made.
DustyM
Dman said:

Guys. Give Keyser a break. It's hard work shilling for the BoR. It's hard and exhausting to be as blatantly hypocritical as he is..day after day. It takes a lot to leave all self respect and intellectual honesty at the door every day. He has had to become the exact thing that he claims to hate..a direct reverse reflection of a Cab'er.

No mattter the spin. Everyone failed our university In some way. Briles, Ian, Star, and yes..even the BOR. Across the spectrum. However, Not everyone was held accountable. Only one remains in the position they were before this epic university wide failure. This is the undeniable truth Keyser must try to counter...every day. Please don't underestimate the toll this degree of self delusion takes on a mans psyche. Give him a break.
This is a good post. I can only think of two reasons for his and others continual responses.

First: That the six or seven different names that keep showing up and talking like this, are actually one or two people.

Second: That those names, are in fact, paid hacks by the BOR or Ramsower. No other reason would explain their constant attack on everyone and everything that pertains to the former football and athletic staff.
MilliVanilli
DustyM said:

Dman said:

This is a good post. I can only think of two reasons for his and others continual responses.

First: That the six or seven different names that keep showing up and talking like this, are actually one or two people.

Second: That those names, are in fact, paid hacks by the BOR or Ramsower. No other reason would explain their constant attack on everyone and everything that pertains to the former football and athletic staff.
The fact you think the BOR conspires against you on a message board is an amusing insight into the delusion of people that refuse to join reality.

DustyM
MilliVanilli said:

DustyM said:

Dman said:

The fact you think the BOR conspires against you on a message board is an amusing insight into the delusion of people that refuse to join reality.

Conspires against me, I think you need to reread what I wrote. Oh by the way, do you know your famous, yeap. There are several boards at other universities that talk about you often, so congrats, your famous. Your famous for being an ass. CONGRATS.
MilliVanilli
DustyM said:

MilliVanilli said:

DustyM said:

Dman said:

Conspires against me, I think you need to reread what I wrote. Oh by the way, do you know your famous, yeap. There are several boards at other universities that talk about you often, so congrats, your famous. Your famous for being an ass. CONGRATS.
Is it universal for all butt hurt t-shirt conspiracy theorists to be unable to discern "your" from "you're"?

You're in good company with your fellow apologists and tin foil hat wearers.

YoakDaddy
PacificBear said:

If it were my daughters, the perps ballsacks would be mounted on my office wall before Baylor even labeled a file.
NoBSU
DustyM said:

Dman said:

What about your continual posts? Truth, Justice, and/or American Way?
Forest Bueller
NoBSU said:

DustyM said:

Dman said:

What about your continual posts? Truth, Justice, and/or American Way?

You are kidding here right? Dusty has 45 posts on these boards. Milli almost 5,300 with at least 5000 of those being pure trolls with no purpose but to troll someone.

At least try when you post.
PartyBear
D. C. Bear said:

PacificBear said:

If my daughter was willingly having sex with at least two guys, I hope she would be kicked off the team, too.
I'm torn on this. On the one hand we do need the same standard for 1-11 as we did national title contender who did kick people off the team for this type of allegation and hence fired for less if Rhule has done nothing. On the other hand firing a HC during another spring would be devastating to the program. I lean more to after next season with out a buy out.

I would also look at Michigan St who does not have to do anything to their national title contending HCs. We needed to set better precedent than act like complete idiots in May of 16.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.