Football
Sponsored by

BU fball players investigated for sexual assault

106,390 Views | 687 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by DioNoZeus
Keyser Soze
How long do you want to ignore this user?
D. C. Bear said:

Keyser Soze said:

Most complaints of Briles for not vetting was in regards to transfers who had been kicked off their previous team.

Transfer, as in Sam Ukuwachu, who was cleared by Baylor's Title IX process, convicted in a shady trial and currently is not convicted of anything.
High bar you set there .....

SU had a file as thick as a phone book from BSU that no one from Baylor ever bothered to look at. It was from that file that the DA tracked down the allegation of domestic abuse from the BSU girlfriend.

He also was not "Cleared" by a T9 investigation. They (as in Bethany McCraw doing her first such investigation) said they did not reach a preponderance of the evidence, not "cleared". Same investigation failed to speak with other students, medical staff, or school counselors.

So yes, like Sam U ... most programs would have never touched him

FWIW - Oakman was worse.

bear2be2
Malbec said:

bear2be2 said:

I'm not angry. Just tired of the same old disingenuous nonsense from a group of people who couldn't be moved to care about these things until Briles was fired. And now all of the sudden they're very concerned that Rhule's not handling things properly, despite all evidence to the contrary.

For the record, my standard for Rhule is exactly the same as it was for Briles. If it becomes clear he no longer deserves the benefit of the doubt in this area, he'll lose it with me in a hurry. But there is no evidence currently to suggest that's the case. And frankly, as long as he's doing the right things behind the scenes, I don't care whether or not KWTX or ESPN or anyone else is satisfied with his performance.

As to this particular situation, I'll say a couple of things:

First, no one but you seems to think Ogor was involved in a Title IX case. a) He was in enough trouble at the end of the year that his return to the program was in doubt, so it only makes sense that this is an extension of that, and b) it was reported multiple times by multiple outlets that the alleged offenders were redshirt freshmen, thus eliminating Ogor from consideration.

Second, the decision to identify/not identify the players is a two-sided coin. While not doing so leaves some ambiguity as to who is/is not involved, it also protects the identify (to some degree) of players who are still waiting for due process to play out. As soon as those names become public, they become rapists in the minds of many. Any coach that would go out of his way to let that happen to guys who haven't even been indicted yet doesn't have his players' best interests at heart. All this is at this point is an allegation. Once they're indicted and arraigned, they're fair game. That's all public record. Until then, it's best to separate the players from the team, hand the case to the proper people and let justice be served in a way that's fair to both the accuser and accused, which -- not coincidentally -- is exactly what Rhule did here.
All true, but not the complete story if you are being consistent. It doesn't answer the questions of who brought these players to campus, and who had the responsibility to vet their character; character that was flawed to the extent that they couldn't make even their first year on campus without committing vile acts. And who was responsible for monitoring their activities while at Baylor to keep them in line? See how that works?
First, we don't know what acts those guys did or did not commit at this point. They haven't been indicted yet, and the facts of the case are only known to a few people. And from the rumors floating around, they may be more guilty of being criminally insensitive turds than of having actually committed sexual assault. That doesn't take them off the hook by any stretch, but those aren't the same things.

Second, Briles wasn't done in by one-off bad apple types. He was done in by his lack of concern for and response to the problem children in his program. When dealing with close to 100 18- to 22-year-old men of varying intelligence levels, many of whom have been coddled and entitled since middle school, you're going to have a few that choose to do stupid and/or criminal things unfortunately. The key is how you deal with those people. Shielding them from accountability for those actions -- as Briles is reported to have done -- is the wrong response. I don't see where that's happened in this particular case, or since Rhule took over the program in general.
bearlyafarmer
bear2be2 said:

Malbec said:

bear2be2 said:

I'm not angry. Just tired of the same old disingenuous nonsense from a group of people who couldn't be moved to care about these things until Briles was fired. And now all of the sudden they're very concerned that Rhule's not handling things properly, despite all evidence to the contrary.

For the record, my standard for Rhule is exactly the same as it was for Briles. If it becomes clear he no longer deserves the benefit of the doubt in this area, he'll lose it with me in a hurry. But there is no evidence currently to suggest that's the case. And frankly, as long as he's doing the right things behind the scenes, I don't care whether or not KWTX or ESPN or anyone else is satisfied with his performance.

As to this particular situation, I'll say a couple of things:

First, no one but you seems to think Ogor was involved in a Title IX case. a) He was in enough trouble at the end of the year that his return to the program was in doubt, so it only makes sense that this is an extension of that, and b) it was reported multiple times by multiple outlets that the alleged offenders were redshirt freshmen, thus eliminating Ogor from consideration.

Second, the decision to identify/not identify the players is a two-sided coin. While not doing so leaves some ambiguity as to who is/is not involved, it also protects the identify (to some degree) of players who are still waiting for due process to play out. As soon as those names become public, they become rapists in the minds of many. Any coach that would go out of his way to let that happen to guys who haven't even been indicted yet doesn't have his players' best interests at heart. All this is at this point is an allegation. Once they're indicted and arraigned, they're fair game. That's all public record. Until then, it's best to separate the players from the team, hand the case to the proper people and let justice be served in a way that's fair to both the accuser and accused, which -- not coincidentally -- is exactly what Rhule did here.
All true, but not the complete story if you are being consistent. It doesn't answer the questions of who brought these players to campus, and who had the responsibility to vet their character; character that was flawed to the extent that they couldn't make even their first year on campus without committing vile acts. And who was responsible for monitoring their activities while at Baylor to keep them in line? See how that works?
First, we don't know what acts those guys did or did not commit at this point. They haven't been indicted yet, and the facts of the case are only known to a few people. And from the rumors floating around, they may be more guilty of being criminally insensitive turds than of having actually committed sexual assault. That doesn't take them off the hook by any stretch, but those aren't the same things.

Second, Briles wasn't done in by one-off bad apple types. He was done in by his lack of concern for and response to the problem children in his program. When dealing with close to 100 18- to 22-year-old men of varying intelligence levels, many of whom have been coddled and entitled since middle school, you're going to have a few that choose to do stupid and/or criminal things unfortunately. The key is how you deal with those people. Shielding them from accountability for those actions -- as Briles is reported to have done -- is the wrong response. I don't see where that's happened in this particular case, or since Rhule took over the program in general.
Let's remember that "reported to have done" and "did" are a long way from one another. I applaud you for making that distinction above. The issue for me and many others is the trustworthiness, or lack of same, of the "reporters," which include the BoR and certain BU administrators. How anyone ascribes trustworthiness to a bunch of people that were deceptive enough to "report" zero sexual assaults at Baylor for several years (or simply look the other way) is truly mind-boggling.
Life is more about asking the right questions than giving the right answers.
D. C. Bear
Keyser Soze said:

D. C. Bear said:

Keyser Soze said:

Most complaints of Briles for not vetting was in regards to transfers who had been kicked off their previous team.

Transfer, as in Sam Ukuwachu, who was cleared by Baylor's Title IX process, convicted in a shady trial and currently is not convicted of anything.

SU had a file as thick as a phone book from BSU that no one from Baylor ever bothered to look at. It was from that file that the DA tracked down the allegation of domestic abuse from the BSU girlfriend.

He also was not "Cleared" by a T9 investigation. They (as in Bethany McCraw doing her first such investigation) said they did not reach a preponderance of the evidence, not "cleared". Same investigation failed to speak with other students, medical staff, or school counselors.

FWIW - Oakman was worse.

You are going with the argument that Sam Ukuwachu was not cleared by Baylor's original Title IX investigation? I seem to recall a lot of posters complaining about that investigation because it cleared him. If you don't like the term "cleared," you can say "did not find responsible for." It is essentially the same thing.

There isn't any real evidence to suggest that Briles or Baylor had any reason to believe Sam Ukuwachu was anything other than a troubled kid who needed to be closer to home. The narrative that was pushed by ESPN was that Petersen told Briles Sam Ukuwachu was an abuser of women and Briles said "bring him on!" Actual evidence tends to contradict that.

You talk about Sam Ukuwachu's "file" like it was some kind of public record that Baylor just declined to read. I seem to recall emails where Baylor requested more information during their Title IX investigation. If I recall correctly, Boise never gave them anything of note. Of course, a prosecutor, even on who can't read a cell phone bill, might be able to subpoena those records.

Most of the media noise around the "scandal" was around Sam Ukuwachu and Tevin (not a transfer) Elliot, nor any other transfers.

Fighting to set the record straight in August of 2015 might have made a positive difference for Baylor, but all of this is water under the bridge and only useful for message board discussions and PR postmortems.
bearlyafarmer
D. C. Bear said:

Keyser Soze said:

D. C. Bear said:

Keyser Soze said:

FWIW - Oakman was worse.

You are going with the argument that Sam Ukuwachu was not cleared by Baylor's original Title IX investigation? I seem to recall a lot of posters complaining about that investigation because it cleared him. If you don't like the term "cleared," you can say "did not find responsible for." It is essentially the same thing.

There isn't any real evidence to suggest that Briles or Baylor had any reason to believe Sam Ukuwachu was anything other than a troubled kid who needed to be closer to home. The narrative that was pushed by ESPN was that Petersen told Briles Sam Ukuwachu was an abuser of women and Briles said "bring him on!" Actual evidence tends to contradict that.

You talk about Sam Ukuwachu's "file" like it was some kind of public record that Baylor just declined to read. I seem to recall emails where Baylor requested more information during their Title IX investigation. If I recall correctly, Boise never gave them anything of note. Of course, a prosecutor, even on who can't read a cell phone bill, might be able to subpoena those records.

Most of the media noise around the "scandal" was around Sam Ukuwachu and Tevin (not a transfer) Elliot, nor any other transfers.

Fighting to set the record straight in August of 2015 might have made a positive difference for Baylor, but all of this is water under the bridge and only useful for message board discussions and PR postmortems.
Thank you. Truth wanders the Baylor context begging for a handout these days. All the parsing in the world won't change that fact.
Life is more about asking the right questions than giving the right answers.
Keyser Soze
I'm going with the argument that not guilty does not mean innocent
EvilTroyAndAbed
Keyser Soze said:

D. C. Bear said:

Keyser Soze said:

SU had a file as thick as a phone book from BSU.
Source? I do remember one page from BSU that said he was a student in good standing. If he had a file "as thick as a phone book," I think he would have been kicked out of school.

Also, is he in jail right now for this supposed heinous crime?
80sBEAR
PervertedLittleTarts said:

80sBEAR said:

boognish_bear said:

If true, this is great news! But who is "we" and why no mention of a source? If this is true, why did not such a tweet not come out of either Matt Rhule or Baylor Football? If this is the truth, there should not be any legal ramifications for them stating that he was not a part of the equestrian incident. One single tweet given by a generic, anonymous Twitter account and no accompanying story make me a little skeptical. I am sorry, but the trust has been gone for about two years.

Good God son, that's the official Twitter account for the Baylor Rivals site. They're not as good as the site owners here, but they're certainly credible. Plus, I already told you that Ogor was not involved.
Hey there damage control. I guess that farting in church, failing pop quizzes, and violating team rules finally caught up with young Mr. Ogor. Why don't you , your people, and your deceptive screen name take a time out and come up with another plan. This one is really not working.
"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland
D. C. Bear
Keyser Soze said:

You were critical of the term "cleared," but I am not seeing how "cleared" and not being found responsible by a preponderance of the evidence is substantively different. Saying "not guilty" does not mean "innocent" is a truism.
oldbear69
D. C. Bear said:

Keyser Soze said:

You were critical of the term "cleared," but I am not seeing how "cleared" and not being found responsible by a preponderance of the evidence is substantively different. Saying "not guilty" does not mean "innocent" is a truism.
none of us are truly innocent...sinless... right ?? but not guilty means there is an assumption of innocence, at least in the eyes of the law,,,,,
Russell Gym
oldbear69 said:

D. C. Bear said:

Keyser Soze said:

none of us are truly innocent...sinless... right ?? but not guilty means there is an assumption of innocence, at least in the eyes of the law,,,,,

Don't forget the phrase "beyond a reasonable doubt."
57Bear
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presumption_of_innocence

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, article 11, states: "Everyone charged with a penal offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law in a public trial at which he has had all the guarantees necessary for his defence.".
PervertedLittleTarts
80sBEAR said:

80sBEAR said:

boognish_bear said:

If true, this is great news! But who is "we" and why no mention of a source? If this is true, why did not such a tweet not come out of either Matt Rhule or Baylor Football? If this is the truth, there should not be any legal ramifications for them stating that he was not a part of the equestrian incident. One single tweet given by a generic, anonymous Twitter account and no accompanying story make me a little skeptical. I am sorry, but the trust has been gone for about two years.

Good God son, that's the official Twitter account for the Baylor Rivals site. They're not as good as the site owners here, but they're certainly credible. Plus, I already told you that Ogor was not involved.
Hey there damage control. I guess that farting in church, failing pop quizzes, and violating team rules finally caught up with young Mr. Ogor. Why don't you , your people, and your deceptive screen name take a time out and come up with another plan. This one is really not working.

What the hell are you prattling on about now? Who the hell do you think I am?
NoBSU
80sBEAR said:

80sBEAR said:

boognish_bear said:

You really need a new hobby 80s.

Keyser Soze
EvilTroyAndAbed said:

Keyser Soze said:

D. C. Bear said:

Keyser Soze said:

SU had a file as thick as a phone book from BSU.
Source? I do remember one page from BSU that said he was a student in good standing. If he had a file "as thick as a phone book," I think he would have been kicked out of school.

Also, is he in jail right now for this supposed heinous crime?
From the prosecutors - In all fairness to BU, good chance BSU was sweeping things under the rug too, but keep on topic - our conversation was about not vetting and little to none of that was done

A fellow Baylor athlete had told Rae that the rumor at Boise State University (BSU) was that Ukwuachu had been dismissed from the football team due to violence against a female student. Rae had informed Baylor officials of this during their investigation, but the BSU registrar had told Baylor officials that Ukwuachu had left in good standing and was free to re-enroll. Robbie believed he must have committed some significant wrong in Idahoit is certainly rare for a freshman All-American defensive end to be dismissed from a football team.

When we first reached out to Boise State, we were informed that the school had no records of discipline problems for Ukwuachu. He had not been expelled or suspended from the university. But based on reports we had read in the Boise media, we knew that this was not the whole story.

Abdon Rodriguez, one of our investigators, contacted the athletic department at Boise State and was told that it would be worth his while to obtain a subpoena for Ukwuachu's student records. This proved to be more difficult than normal because the subpoena had to come via interstate compact, but the Ada County (Idaho) Prosecutor's Office helped us get those records. They contained a wealth of information. We learned though handwritten notes from athletic directors that the defendant had had a violent relationship with his then live-in girlfriend. His roommate, another football player, had been so scared of the defendant and his violent tendencies that he had called the police. Ukwuachu had been taken to a mental hospital more than once while a student at BSU; the school had also sent him to anger management classes to try to help him.
BellCountyBear
Why do you idiots keep this thread going? Negative-recruiting gold for other schools. SMH
80sBEAR
NoBSU said:

80sBEAR said:

80sBEAR said:

boognish_bear said:

"Full ******?" Really? Very nice. You and your friend Perverted Little Tarts and your Overlords should get together an come up with a better plan. This one is not working. You people can do better.
-- Dr. David Garland
PervertedLittleTarts
80sBEAR said:

NoBSU said:

80sBEAR said:

80sBEAR said:

boognish_bear said:

"Full ******?" Really? Very nice. You and your friend Perverted Little Tarts and your Overlords should get together an come up with a better plan. This one is not working. You people can do better.

What the... I knew you were a complete moron but this one really takes the cake. You think I'm a BOR shill??? HAAAHAHAHA!

No. The BOR screwed the pooch mightily in both the oversight and then later handling of the "scandal." The board needs less preachers and more businessmen. Satisfied?

By the way Jim, this reminds me, I spoke to one of your former teammates the other day and asked him about you, and he had an interesting observation. He said you were the biggest whiner cry-baby on the entire team. Looks like all these years later, nothing has changed.
80sBEAR

80sBEAR said:

NoBSU said:

80sBEAR said:

80sBEAR said:

boognish_bear said:

What the... I knew you were a complete moron but this one really takes the cake. You think I'm a BOR shill??? HAAAHAHAHA!

No. The BOR screwed the pooch mightily in both the oversight and then later handling of the "scandal." The board needs less preachers and more businessmen. Satisfied?

By the way Jim, this reminds me, I spoke to one of your former teammates the other day and asked him about you, and he had an interesting observation. He said you were the biggest whiner cry-baby on the entire team. Looks like all these years later, nothing has changed.
I call BULL***** You are no different than Dary and Buddy. You have a cute screen name yet you are a BOR water carrier. You are just another coward. What in the world did I ever have to whine or cry about? It was always an honor for me to be a Baylor Bear. You are just another spineless ***** hiding behind an anonymous screen name. Buddy needs his car filled up with gas. You should really go befoe he gets upset with you.
-- Dr. David Garland
PervertedLittleTarts
80sBEAR said:

80sBEAR said:

NoBSU said:

80sBEAR said:

80sBEAR said:

boognish_bear said:

I call BULL***** You are no different than Dary and Buddy. You have a cute screen name yet you are a BOR water carrier. You are just another coward. What in the world did I ever have to whine or cry about? It was always an honor for me to be a Baylor Bear. You are just another spineless ***** hiding behind an anonymous screen name. Buddy needs his car filled up with gas. You should really go befoe he gets upset with you.

I don't know Buddy, or Dary, or any of the current members of the board, and I don't like Buddy or Dary because of their roles in destroying the BAA, of which I am a lifetime member. So as usual, you are spectacularly wrong.

So let me get this straight. I just criticized the BOR, yet you still think I'm carrying water for them? Show me where.

I have to say, it's difficult attempting to have a conversation with someone as mentally deficient as you. At this point, I'm honestly amazed that you can even operate a computer well enough to post on this board.

Oh and the conversation with your former teammate is true. It was told directly to me. And let me assure you that anyone familiar with your posting history is not surprised by that assessment in the least.
80sBEAR

80sBEAR said:

80sBEAR said:

NoBSU said:

80sBEAR said:

80sBEAR said:

boognish_bear said:

I don't know Buddy, or Dary, or any of the current members of the board, and I don't like Buddy or Dary because of their roles in destroying the BAA, of which I am a lifetime member. So as usual, you are spectacularly wrong.

So let me get this straight. I just criticized the BOR, yet you still think I'm carrying water for them? Show me where.

I have to say, it's difficult attempting to have a conversation with someone as mentally deficient as you. At this point, I'm honestly amazed that you can even operate a computer well enough to post on this board.

Oh and the conversation with your former teammate is true. It was told directly to me. And let me assure you that anyone familiar with your posting history is not surprised by that assessment in the least.
Have just figured out who you are. You are spineless and have no soul. At least this time you didn't claim to be my neighbor and live in my county and claim that all my neighbors hate me. You are a cowardly, pitiful, little man. You don't know me. You don't know my neighbors. You don't know my former teammates. You are a BOR ass kisser with a cute little screen name. Try again ********. Perverted Little Tarts has run it's course. Time for you to pick another name. Might be a real challenge for you at this point. Bye Bye!!!!

Jim
-- Dr. David Garland
PervertedLittleTarts
80sBEAR said:

80sBEAR said:

80sBEAR said:

NoBSU said:

80sBEAR said:

80sBEAR said:

boognish_bear said:

Have just figured out who you are. You are spineless and have no soul. At least this time you didn't claim to be my neighbor and live in my county and claim that all my neighbors hate me. You are a cowardly, pitiful, little man. You don't know me. You don't know my neighbors. You don't know my former teammates. You are a BOR ass kisser with a cute little screen name. Try again ********. Perverted Little Tarts has run it's course. Time for you to pick another name. Might be a real challenge for you at this point. Bye Bye!!!!

Jim

The Baylor BOR sucks at leadership, Jim. I've never defended them on here one time. And I've never claimed any of those other bizarre things.

You are one strange dude.
80sBEAR

80sBEAR said:

NoBSU said:

80sBEAR said:

80sBEAR said:

boognish_bear said:

This little post tells us all we need to know about you, "anonymous poster."

I agree with BellCountyBear. This thread is tired and needs to die. We need to get back to unicorns, sunshine, and rainbows so we can all live happily ever after.
-- Dr. David Garland
DioNoZeus

80sBEAR said:

NoBSU said:

80sBEAR said:

80sBEAR said:

boognish_bear said:

LOL...so predictable!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.