Football
Sponsored by

CMR was not a Mistake

129,202 Views | 790 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GoldMind
Forest Bueller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Gruvin said:

Stranger said:

D. C. Bear said:

Stranger said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

zunooreo said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

I don't really understand this so called badge of honor for not wanting him gone. Do u guys want a ribbon or something?

I don't tolerate losing, even in year one when it is compounded by a loss to liberty. Who loses to Liberty?
For Gus.....

So many standing on the Liberty loss as their case. Small consolation, but we shouldn't forget that there were several anomalies in play that first game:
- Starting Anu was clearly the wrong QB (which proved out over the next few games);
- young receivers making a couple of wrong cuts in their very first game;
- Blake playing his very first game at DB;
- and a fluke scramble Flame TD by a QB experiencing the game of his entire career.

Perhaps highlights will remind us of that.

You're right. The rest of the season would go on to show just how much of a fluke that loss was.

Actually, most of the losses that followed, and the lone win, showed exactly that.

So DC, are you saying those other ten losses (after Liberty) were "quality" losses?

I can't remember much good about any of them.

All the other games were data that told us about the Bears' potential. Whether they were wins or losses is beside the point. Losing to Liberty was a fluke that never should have happened, and saying otherwise is ridiculous.

I say otherwise so I'm ridiculous? Didn't look like a fluke to me. Baylor looked out coached and unprepared to me. That's all about coaching or lack of the same. Our boy Matty appears to be in over his head.
yes, losing to Liberty is bad- the team only had 2 blow out losses, many of the games were winnable and they just didnt get it done. The team struggled last year thru lack of depth and coaching issues. This year will tell the tale, i give him this year before deciding if he is over his head or not...
I have to give any coach 3 years to prove themselves. If there isn't major improvement after three time to move along.
D. C. Bear
cowboycwr said:

D. C. Bear said:

Stranger said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

zunooreo said:

Gust Avrakotos said:

I don't really understand this so called badge of honor for not wanting him gone. Do u guys want a ribbon or something?

I don't tolerate losing, even in year one when it is compounded by a loss to liberty. Who loses to Liberty?
For Gus.....

So many standing on the Liberty loss as their case. Small consolation, but we shouldn't forget that there were several anomalies in play that first game:
- Starting Anu was clearly the wrong QB (which proved out over the next few games);
- young receivers making a couple of wrong cuts in their very first game;
- Blake playing his very first game at DB;
- and a fluke scramble Flame TD by a QB experiencing the game of his entire career.

Perhaps highlights will remind us of that.

You're right. The rest of the season would go on to show just how much of a fluke that loss was.

Actually, most of the losses that followed, and the lone win, showed exactly that.

So DC, are you saying those other ten losses (after Liberty) were "quality" losses?

I can't remember much good about any of them.

All the other games were data that told us about the Bears' potential. Whether they were wins or losses is beside the point. Losing to Liberty was a fluke that never should have happened, and saying otherwise is ridiculous.
Nobody looks back at a season and says "but they had potential" years later. That talk may happen right after the season, like with Virginia losing in the first round, or after the National Championship game, super bowl, etc.

They look back and say "what was the record?"

Did they win games, conference championships, compete for national championships, win them? Those are the things people look back at.

That is fine when you are looking back. However, when you are looking forward, yesterday's record is largely irrelevant. What matters is the the talent level of the players you have, their continuing development and the ability of coaches to encourage that development in a way that will maximize their talents. The Bears could easily have won several more games last season, but that would not have put us in a vastly different position going forward. Our record was 1-11. We did not recruit like a 1-11 team, we did not have and do not have the talent level of a 1-11 team. A lot of things had to go wrong to get to that record. Those things will not go wrong every year.
dakjd90
nvm
DoubleBearClaw
Krieg said:

DoubleBearClaw said:

bunation said:

Rhule WAS THE RIGHT HIRE - BETTER THAN WE DESERVED GIVEN THE MEDIA ONSLAUGHT.

Great recruiter.

Underestimated some things.
Crippled by departures & injuries.
Mediocre offensive line.
Coordinators were poor.
Too many "news." New state. New conference. New players. New coaches. New office/bathroom. New pressures from insane media. New BOR. New fans.

I'll gladly give him another year.
I'm not happy with CMR's performance up to this point, but his recruiting, the reasons listed above, and his willingness to come here and help us during this mess buys him two more seasons in my book.

I liked CAB too, but the actual mess we should be concerned about was made worse by the BOR and we should cut CMR a little slack.

CAB has also done a lot for Baylor and its not fair for us to forget that. Not appreciating the things people have done for you is not an admirable personal trait either.

Just because you may support CAB doesn't mean you cant support CMR too, we all have a bigger common disgrace among us. I would really like to see this pissing match end so that everyone's outrage can be focused on where it needs to be.

-DBC

I agree, but we should give him year 3 only if we're a lot better in year 2. We win less than 4 games and he'll never succeed here, realistically. That should be his bar for termination with one of 6 wins next year.

He also should've been told this months ago.
If he lays an egg this year then I agree a reevaluation needs to be done, but I think if we see improvement in the areas listed above then he should get a third year.

I do like that he has already placed accountability on him self by saying that we should expect nothing less than 6 wins. If he can't cash his own check then reevaluation needs to be done but there are just to many details around our entire situation to look at the black and white only.
DustyM
DoubleBearClaw said:

Krieg said:

DoubleBearClaw said:

bunation said:

Great recruiter.

Mediocre offensive line.
Coordinators were poor.
Too many "news." New state. New conference. New players. New coaches. New office/bathroom. New pressures from insane media. New BOR. New fans.

I'm not happy with CMR's performance up to this point, but his recruiting, the reasons listed above, and his willingness to come here and help us during this mess buys him two more seasons in my book.

I liked CAB too, but the actual mess we should be concerned about was made worse by the BOR and we should cut CMR a little slack.

CAB has also done a lot for Baylor and its not fair for us to forget that. Not appreciating the things people have done for you is not an admirable personal trait either.

Just because you may support CAB doesn't mean you cant support CMR too, we all have a bigger common disgrace among us. I would really like to see this pissing match end so that everyone's outrage can be focused on where it needs to be.

-DBC

I agree, but we should give him year 3 only if we're a lot better in year 2. We win less than 4 games and he'll never succeed here, realistically. That should be his bar for termination with one of 6 wins next year.

If he lays an egg this year then I agree a reevaluation needs to be done, but I think if we see improvement in the areas listed above then he should get a third year.

I do like that he has already placed accountability on him self by saying that we should expect nothing less than 6 wins. If he can't cash his own check then reevaluation needs to be done but there are just to many details around our entire situation to look at the black and white only.
I don't see us getting more than three wins, unless we sneak one or two in conference. But with that said, I think we should have expected to be competitive in 2019 from the start. Every coach deserves three years to make improvements to a program. Bashing CMR or any of the coaches is not doing anyone any good at all. So lets just support the team and hope for good things to come.
Johnny Bear
DustyM said:

Quote:

Bashing CMR or any of the coaches is not doing anyone any good at all. So lets just support the team and hope for good things to come.

Boy does this kind of a post bring back some bad BFans memories from both the Steele and GuyMo eras.
CorsicanaBear
Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Bashing CMR or any of the coaches is not doing anyone any good at all. So lets just support the team and hope for good things to come.

Boy does this kind of a post bring back some bad BFans memories from both the Steele and GuyMo eras.
No joke. This sounds like Baylor Fans circa 2001. Words and tone exactly the same.

Where is it written that coaches deserve three years no matter the outcome?

Here's a thought experiment. Lets suppose that in the wake of the scandal at Penn State Bill O'Brien had lost to an FBS team in the first game and gone 1-11. Would there have been a second season? Would he have remained employed after the first game? As it was he lost in the first game to Ohio (not FBS, but "only" MAC) and there was much talk among the fan base about giving him the boot, but he ended the season 8-4 and 6-2 in the B1G.
Illigitimus non carborundum
BeerThief
Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Brings back memories of the 08 and 09 teams too.
D. C. Bear
CorsicanaBear said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

No joke. This sounds like Baylor Fans circa 2001. Words and tone exactly the same.

Where is it written that coaches deserve three years no matter the outcome?

Here's a thought experiment. Lets suppose that in the wake of the scandal at Penn State Bill O'Brien had lost to an FBS team in the first game and gone 1-11. Would there have been a second season? Would he have remained employed after the first game? As it was he lost in the first game to Ohio (not FBS, but "only" MAC) and there was much talk among the fan base about giving him the boot, but he ended the season 8-4 and 6-2 in the B1G.

They don't. Fired Dave Roberts after two seasons, and I don't recall any major complaints about that.

We will be able to tell fairly quickly this season if Rhule will be successful. I am pretty confident he will win.
D. C. Bear
BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

I remember a number of posters who wanted to fire Briles at halftime of the 2011 Kansas game.
BeerThief
D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

I remember a number of posters who wanted to fire Briles at halftime of the 2011 Kansas game.
bearlyafarmer
D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

But then the rest of the 2011 season happened. As did the rest of the 2017 season.
D. C. Bear
bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

But then the rest of the 2011 season happened. As did the rest of the 2017 season.

The 08 and 09 seasons also happened. In 2009, we were dead last in the conference.
bearlyafarmer
D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

The 08 and 09 seasons also happened. In 2009, we were dead last in the conference.

Did we lose any OOC games that season?
D. C. Bear
bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Yes. UCONN.
We also lost seven conference games and scored an average of nine points in those seven losses.
bearlyafarmer
D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Yes.
Did we lose any OOC games last season?
D. C. Bear
bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Yes.
Did we lose any OOC games last season?
Have you forgotten?
Johnny Bear
D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Even with dumpster fire that CAB took over when he came after the '07 season, he never lost to the likes of Liberty.
D. C. Bear
Johnny Bear said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Even with dumpster fire that CAB took over when he came after the '07 season, he never lost to the likes of Liberty.

So what?
DAC
D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Yes. UCONN.
We also lost seven conference games and scored an average of nine points in those seven losses.
I've heard of Uconn
D. C. Bear
DAC said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Yes. UCONN.
I've heard of Uconn
Yeah, they're that basketball school near ESPN.
ColomboLQ
D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Yes. UCONN.
Something tells me that if RG3 doesn't go out for the year at the beginning of that season, we just may have averaged more than 9 points and would have won more conference games.
Friscobear
ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Yes. UCONN.
Something tells me that if RG3 doesn't go out for the year at the beginning of that season, we just may have averaged more than 9 points and would have won more conference games.
So injuries DO matter.
D. C. Bear
ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Yes. UCONN.

Something tells me that, too, but we can make the same injury arguments for 2017.
ColomboLQ
Friscobear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Yes. UCONN.
So injuries DO matter.
When your team is very devoid of talent, and they lose by far their best player at the most important position, of course it matters. But this was obviously NOT the case in 2017 if that's the connection you are trying to make.
ColomboLQ
D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Yes. UCONN.

Something tells me that, too, but we can make the same injury arguments for 2017.
Not exactly apples to apples.
D. C. Bear
ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Yes. UCONN.

Sure it is. We really sucked in 2009. We really sucked in 2017. In both cases, key injuries kept us from winning more games. Apples vs. Apples.
homey d clown
GoldMind said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Briles I no longer care about, he's gone.

Unless CMR can go 6-6 this season he is Steele 2.0, or Beall 3.0 and should be shown the door.

You have to admit 1-11 and a loss to Liberty is one hell of a calling card and certainly ought to make us feel confident.

Are you guys still down with the process if we go 3-9? 2-10? I mean the percentage improvements would be huge.

Who would you replace him with if he's shown the door? That's what the **** I want to hear from y'all.

Dabo?
Bellichick?
Tom Landry?
Red Beaulieu
Krieg
DoubleBearClaw said:

Krieg said:

DoubleBearClaw said:

bunation said:

Great recruiter.

Mediocre offensive line.
Coordinators were poor.

-DBC

Agreed, but just like I blame CAB for the Fiesta Bowl disaster, I'll always blame Rhule for the 2017 disaster. That doesn't mean he can't succeed in the future, but he still threw away a season.
Krieg
D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Yes. UCONN.

This crap is idiotic. You're better than this DC. Briles inherited virtually nothing. Little talent, little fans, a program that hadn't won anything in the lives of any of its players, etc. Rhule inherited the '93 Cowboys by comparison. Yes, there were other issues, but the coaching was HORRIBLE.
Krieg
D. C. Bear said:

DAC said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Yes. UCONN.
I've heard of Uconn
Yeah, they're that basketball school near ESPN.

They won a power conference title in 2007 and 2010 and won at least 8 games from 2007 to 2010.

Oh no, we lost by 8 to an 8 win team in a BCS conference! The horror!

This revisionist stuff needs to stop. You're better than this.
Krieg
D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Yes. UCONN.

Sure it is. We really sucked in 2009. We really sucked in 2017. In both cases, key injuries kept us from winning more games. Apples vs. Apples.

We lost to the worst team on our schedule in game 1 and didn't lose a key player in the first quarter...
YoakDaddy
homey d clown said:

GoldMind said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Briles I no longer care about, he's gone.

Unless CMR can go 6-6 this season he is Steele 2.0, or Beall 3.0 and should be shown the door.

You have to admit 1-11 and a loss to Liberty is one hell of a calling card and certainly ought to make us feel confident.

Are you guys still down with the process if we go 3-9? 2-10? I mean the percentage improvements would be huge.

Who would you replace him with if he's shown the door? That's what the **** I want to hear from y'all.

Dabo?
Bellichick?
Tom Landry?
Red Beaulieu

Bud Kilmer
Mothra
D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Yes. UCONN.

It seems to me his point is last year's team had much more talent than the 2009 team, a fact that I don't think is disputed.

Rhule laid an egg in those first few games. I think that was due to a combination of factors, but it doesn't mean there were not some major problems in terms of having players in good condition, prepared to play, etc. By the end of the year, I think the team he put on the field could have beaten the non conference. We will see next year if that is a safe assumption.
ColomboLQ
D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Yes. UCONN.

The reasons we really sucked in 2017 had to do with WAY more than just injuries. Again, not exactly apples to apples.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.