Football
Sponsored by

CMR was not a Mistake

127,765 Views | 790 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GoldMind
D. C. Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Bashing CMR or any of the coaches is not doing anyone any good at all. So lets just support the team and hope for good things to come.

Boy does this kind of a post bring back some bad BFans memories from both the Steele and GuyMo eras.
Brings back memories of the 08 and 09 teams too.

I remember a number of posters who wanted to fire Briles at halftime of the 2011 Kansas game.
But then the rest of the 2011 season happened. As did the rest of the 2017 season.

The 08 and 09 seasons also happened. In 2009, we were dead last in the conference.

Did we lose any OOC games that season?
Yes. UCONN.
We also lost seven conference games and scored an average of nine points in those seven losses.
Something tells me that if RG3 doesn't go out for the year at the beginning of that season, we just may have averaged more than 9 points and would have won more conference games.

Something tells me that, too, but we can make the same injury arguments for 2017.
Not exactly apples to apples.

Sure it is. We really sucked in 2009. We really sucked in 2017. In both cases, key injuries kept us from winning more games. Apples vs. Apples.
The reasons we really sucked in 2017 had to do with WAY more than just injuries. Again, not exactly apples to apples.

Even including other factors, without the injuries, we very likely would have won several more games, just like in 2008.
ColomboLQ
D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Bashing CMR or any of the coaches is not doing anyone any good at all. So lets just support the team and hope for good things to come.

Boy does this kind of a post bring back some bad BFans memories from both the Steele and GuyMo eras.

I remember a number of posters who wanted to fire Briles at halftime of the 2011 Kansas game.
But then the rest of the 2011 season happened. As did the rest of the 2017 season.

The 08 and 09 seasons also happened. In 2009, we were dead last in the conference.

Yes. UCONN.
We also lost seven conference games and scored an average of nine points in those seven losses.
Something tells me that if RG3 doesn't go out for the year at the beginning of that season, we just may have averaged more than 9 points and would have won more conference games.

Something tells me that, too, but we can make the same injury arguments for 2017.

Sure it is. We really sucked in 2009. We really sucked in 2017. In both cases, key injuries kept us from winning more games. Apples vs. Apples.
The reasons we really sucked in 2017 had to do with WAY more than just injuries. Again, not exactly apples to apples.

Even including other factors, without the injuries, we very likely would have won several more games, just like in 2008.
Very likely? You and I watched two very different seasons last year bro.
D. C. Bear
ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Yes. UCONN.

Yes, very likely. We watched the same season, you just don't think having the injuries had a significant impact. I believe when injuries have you playing a tight end at center and playing true freshmen on the offensive line, when you are missing an all Big 12 level senior defensive end, when you lose key experience at running back to injuries and your best deep threat early in the season, and you are still in many games late into the second half, it is very likely that you would have won several more games without the injuries.
ArlingtonFarm Fingercuffs
We very likely would have won more games last year if our coaching staff was capable of beating an FCS team.
Krieg
D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Yes. UCONN.

Yes, very likely. We watched the same season, you just don't think having the injuries had a significant impact. I believe when injuries have you playing a tight end at center and playing true freshmen on the offensive line, when you are missing an all Big 12 level senior defensive end, when you lose key experience at running back to injuries and your best deep threat early in the season, and you are still in many games late into the second half, it is very likely that you would have won several more games without the injuries.

I'd have won the lottery if all the numbers they drew were different, but so what? If we have to be injury free to beat Iowa State at home when they're on their THIRD STRING QB then we have bigger problems than injuries. They clearly did better than we did while facing worse problems (we didn't have a QB injury that forced a new starter, we simply couldn't decide who should be starting).
D. C. Bear
Krieg said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Yes. UCONN.

I'd have won the lottery if all the numbers they drew were different, but so what? If we have to be injury free to beat Iowa State at home when they're on their THIRD STRING QB then we have bigger problems than injuries. They clearly did better than we did while facing worse problems (we didn't have a QB injury that forced a new starter, we simply couldn't decide who should be starting).

So what, you ask? So this is a discussion about whether a large number of injuries to key positions can impact a team's win/loss record. That's what. This should not even be controversial and has nothing to do with random numbers in the lottery. Who ever said anything about having to be injury free? No one is ever free of injuries, but injuries can and often do impact a team's win loss record. I don't keep up with Iowa State's injury status, but it is not correct to say we didn't have a QB injury that forced a new starter.
ColomboLQ
D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Yes. UCONN.

They did have an impact in 2017. They just weren't the most significant and important impact that kept us losing, like was the case in 2009.
Forest Bueller
D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Yes. UCONN.

I sure hope this is right. I honestly think it was more than injuries, but will hope that was THE major factor.
Krieg
D. C. Bear said:

Krieg said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

D. C. Bear said:

BeerThief said:

Johnny Bear said:

DustyM said:

Quote:

Yes. UCONN.

So what, you ask? So this is a discussion about whether a large number of injuries to key positions can impact a team's win/loss record. That's what. This should not even be controversial and has nothing to do with random numbers in the lottery. Who ever said anything about having to be injury free? No one is ever free of injuries, but injuries can and often do impact a team's win loss record. I don't keep up with Iowa State's injury status, but it is not correct to say we didn't have a QB injury that forced a new starter.

No we didn't, unless you think Rhule would've kept Anu out there after the UTSA game was so bad, or if you think he'd have benched Brewer after he almost won the WVU game in garbage time.

I mean, I suppose that's possible, but that's basically calling Rhule a buffoon.
BellCountyBear
I plan on holding CMR accountable for taking his program to a Bowl game in 2018. Anything less than that and he should just resign. I will if he doesn't...I know, big deal!
57Bear
Some coaches are able to achieve wins by building a game plan that capitalizes on the talent that is available.

Yogi
BellCountyBear said:

I plan on holding CMR accountable for taking his program to a Bowl game in 2018. Anything less than that and he should just resign. I will if he doesn't...I know, big deal!
Apples to Apples. It was just injuries last season, so just like in 2010, we are guaranteed a bowl game this season.
"Smarter than the Average Bear."
D. C. Bear
57Bear said:

Some coaches are able to achieve wins by building a game plan that capitalizes on the talent that is available.

...and some coaches go 4-8 two years in a row while the get the talent lined up.
ColomboLQ
D. C. Bear said:

57Bear said:

...and some coaches go 4-8 two years in a row while the get the talent lined up.
It's sad that we are left wishing to be able to go 4-8 again.
CorsicanaBear
Quote:

4-8 last year and no loss to Liberty and most would be saying, "Hey, not great, but give him time to work his system."

At 1-11 people are just saying ***.
Illigitimus non carborundum
BaylorRocks
CorsicanaBear said:

Quote:

4-8 last year and no loss to Liberty and most would be saying, "Hey, not great, but give him time to work his system."

At 1-11 people are just saying ***.

PartyBear
We had a team that should have won 6 last season. The Rhule era has been a disaster so far. The only redeeming quality is the recruiting but recruiting is also running off the residual brand Briles built.
BaylorRocks
PartyBear said:

We had a team that should have won 6 last season. The Rhule era has been a disaster so far. The only redeeming quality is the recruiting but recruiting is also running off the residual brand Briles built.
".....running off the residual brand Briles built."

Ever consider that may be the exact goal? It is, and is very normal with any HC change.
BaylorRocks
Mothra said:

This is going to be a really short thread. I know of only 2-3 posters that called for his firing after the first season. Many of us were unhappy and felt he underachieved, but recognized the man deserves at least 3 seasons to instill his system and try and turn it around.
7,000 reads and 200 posts later........

LOL
PartyBear
I said the brand built up under Briles is still fueling some of our recruiting.
ShooterTX
PartyBear said:

If that's true, then why did so many players bail out? Why did we only have 1 recruit when Rhule arrived? If you're correct, then we wouldn't have lost Stidham or all those incoming freshmen in 2016.
The Briles brand left when he was fired. It's a sad thing, but it's time to move on.
It took CAB a few years to build his program. It took Rhule a few years at Temple, and it will take a few years at Baylor.
PartyBear
Players the age of recruits around the country only have a memory of Baylor being a top 10 program, a Heisman winner and cool uniforms and national tv almost every Saturday. That is still what they think of when someone from Baylor reaches out to them about playing here.
Thee University
PartyBear said:

Players the age of recruits around the country only have a memory of Baylor being a top 10 program, a Heisman winner and cool uniforms. That is still what they think of when someone from Baylor reaches out to them about playing here.
Top 20 program? 1 year out of 8 does not = dynasty. 1951 & 2014 are our only Top 10 finishes

Heisman? These recruits were in elementary school back then.

Cool uniforms?????? Who cares? Schools that honor and respect tradition (Alabama, Penn State, etc.) Don't care about uniforms.

Thee University
ShooterTX said:

PartyBear said:

If that's true, then why did so many players bail out? Why did we only have 1 recruit when Rhule arrived? If you're correct, then we wouldn't have lost Stidham or all those incoming freshmen in 2016.
The Briles brand left when he was fired. It's a sad thing, but it's time to move on.
It took CAB a few years to build his program. It took Rhule a few years at Temple, and it will take a few years at Baylor.
The Briles brand was poisoned.

These Briles suck ups are exactly like a beaten and bruised NFL, NBA or MLB wife. They get the piss beat out of them yet keep coming back and publically "supporting" the gravy train.

Rhule has had 1 year under horrendous circumstances.
PartyBear
I understand you either don't understand a lot of what is said here or you troll. Either way it wasn't horrendous it wasn't ideal but he still inherited more than any of his predecessors took over in our history. Rhule says there is no excuse for not having a winning season in 18. Bottom line his era is over if there isn't one.
TexasScientist
GoldMind said:

CorsicanaBear said:

Briles I no longer care about, he's gone.

Unless CMR can go 6-6 this season he is Steele 2.0, or Beall 3.0 and should be shown the door.

You have to admit 1-11 and a loss to Liberty is one hell of a calling card and certainly ought to make us feel confident.

Are you guys still down with the process if we go 3-9? 2-10? I mean the percentage improvements would be huge.

Who would you replace him with if he's shown the door? That's what the **** I want to hear from y'all.

Dabo?
Bellichick?
Tom Landry?
An OU or other success minded University, first would not have responded the way Baylor did, but if it did they would have gone after a power 5 coach with an unquestionable nationally recognized track record, which means digging down for the $$ to make it happen, in order to carry the program through and forward.
Timbear
Baylor pays big bucks. There would be a long line of capable, experienced spread offense HC's who can give a good talk and recruit, and, who are better coaches with a better DC. Rhule can't manage the clock, get plays in quickly or actually have an offensive system besides "ok, now let's do something different for a few plays".
YoakDaddy
PartyBear said:

I understand you either don't understand a lot of what is said here or you troll. Either way it wasn't horrendous it wasn't ideal but he still inherited more than any of his predecessors took over in our history. Rhule says there is no excuse for not having a winning season in 18. Bottom line his era is over if there isn't one.

Agree. The problem is that even if he wins 3 games, that's enough progress for the sunshine pumpers to blindly recite "Trust The Process".
cowboycwr
Thee University said:

PartyBear said:

Players the age of recruits around the country only have a memory of Baylor being a top 10 program, a Heisman winner and cool uniforms. That is still what they think of when someone from Baylor reaches out to them about playing here.
Top 20 program? 1 year out of 8 does not = dynasty. 1951 & 2014 are our only Top 10 finishes

Heisman? These recruits were in elementary school back then.

Cool uniforms?????? Who cares? Schools that honor and respect tradition (Alabama, Penn State, etc.) Don't care about uniforms.

Yes top program. High school players think of rankings throughout the year not just the final rankings.

Yes a heisman. They may have been in elementary school but that is when many of them probably started paying attention to college football.

Uniforms do matter to high school recruits. A lot.

Funny that the 2 schools you mention are blue bloods. Not schools competing for the recruits against the blue bloods.
BUbearinARK
YoakDaddy said:

PartyBear said:

Agree. The problem is that even if he wins 3 games, that's enough progress for the sunshine pumpers to blindly recite "Trust The process"
The problem. <snicker>
DAC
Thee University said:

PartyBear said:

Cool uniforms?????? Who cares?

Probably no one other than 17-18 year old players and fans
TexasScientist
Thee University said:

ShooterTX said:

PartyBear said:

The Briles brand was poisoned.

These Briles suck ups are exactly like a beaten and bruised NFL, NBA or MLB wife. They get the piss beat out of them yet keep coming back and publically "supporting" the gravy train.

Rhule has had 1 year under horrendous circumstances.
Recruiting is important and is necessary to make wins possible, ability. Coaching and game plans are what gives you the method to successfully use that ability. A school like Baylor, that can't recruit top 10 classes, has to have a coaching edge with solid recruiting in order to successfully compete at power 5 level. CAB with his offensive scheme gave us that ability with solid recruiting. CMR can get reasonable recruits now, but his coaching style/scheme is not innovative and won't be successful in our conference. In three years, unless he makes some radical changes, we'll be debating whether 5/6 or 6/5 seasons are enough to keep him around a little longer. I don't think his Temple model will work in the Big 12.
GrizBear
PartyBear said:

Bottom line is, you've repeated this claim more times than Stormy Danials has bared her boobies in public.
Mothra
zunooreo said:

Mothra said:

This is going to be a really short thread. I know of only 2-3 posters that called for his firing after the first season. Many of us were unhappy and felt he underachieved, but recognized the man deserves at least 3 seasons to instill his system and try and turn it around.
7,000 reads and 200 posts later........

LOL
Another poster who missed the point...
Thee University
ColomboLQ said:

D. C. Bear said:

57Bear said:

What is sad is not having another RG3 coming up. They tend to make things a little easier.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.