Recruiting

240,793 Views | 996 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dcheetah
Dr. J
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just from the brief film provided, this gal is a great pick up for BU and if she puts in the work, should flourish under the new system. Good defensive footwork (again limited view but good lateral movement) and gets up the floor with athleticism. Will do well in the new system as a 6'4"-6'5" wing.

This may be the first pebble that gets pushed down the hill and gains momentum for more top recruits to come to BU.
Big Bear
With very limited film she is difficult to evaluate. All of the recruiting services have as a 4 or 5 player. They are probably correct. She is the 61st ranked player by espn and the 9th rated post.
Brusinbear2001
Yes and she was on the rise with a breakout year so hopefully she has a safe and great senior year and this coaching staff we have can continue that momentum to be something great for this university.
geewago
Big Bear said:

With very limited film she is difficult to evaluate. All of the recruiting services have as a 4 or 5 player. They are probably correct. She is the 61st ranked player by espn and the 9th rated post.
I used to believe that Prospect Nations was a more reliable source on WBB than Hoopsgurlz, but it seems there has been some shake ups over there and they are somewhat behind in many ways. I cannot even find Kyla listed on PN. I looked under 2022 prospects, also typed her name in etc etc but can't find anything. Maybe I'm missing something. But from what little we do see on film she does appear to have great potential.
Cp2310
Adriacus Peratuun
geewago said:

Big Bear said:

I used to believe that Prospect Nations was a more reliable source on WBB than Hoopsgurlz, but it seems there has been some shake ups over there and they are somewhat behind in many ways. I cannot even find Kyla listed on PN. I looked under 2022 prospects, also typed her name in etc etc but can't find anything. Maybe I'm missing something. But from what little we do see on film she does appear to have great potential.
Hoopgurlz is simply a label owned by ESPN. Last year ESPN contracted with a new [different] vendor [located in Texas] to provide the ESPN Hoopgurlz Top 100 list. The prior vendor was Seattle based.
Bulldog
We did not even make Sammie Wagner's top 8 but UT did. We lost what would have been a huge pickup for us, La'Tasha Lattimore to UT. We are currently excited over getting the #61 ranked player but lost out on S'Maya Smith even though someone on here predicted we would sign both her and Littlepage Buggs. Hope we at least get Littlepage Buggs.... My how times have changed!!!
Adriacus Peratuun
Bulldog said:

We did not even make Sammie Wagner's top 8 but UT did. We lost what would have been a huge pickup for us, La'Tasha Lattimore to UT. We are currently excited over getting the #61 ranked player but lost out on S'Maya Smith even though someone on here predicted we would sign both her and Littlepage Buggs. Hope we at least get Littlepage Buggs.... My how times have changed!!!
It is time for your second afternoon nap so that you will have enough energy to make it to your 4:30 p.m. dinner at Luby's. That Lou Ann platter sitting next to your inflatable Kim Mulkey doll has to be the highlight of your day.

Don't worry about the Baylor Women's Basketball program [the Bears], it is thriving!
Brusinbear2001
If you needed to be enlightened the Great KIm Mulkey also lost some good recruits to UT Rori is at UT and Baylor went after her with the old staff. You want CNC to seem so much less than without a opportunity. Not a true Baylor Bears Womens basketball fan if you ask me…
Big Bear
I had not seen this clip, thanks. Quality on the floor is questionable. She is thicker than Queen. Not as quick but skill level will probably improve. I can see why she is espn rated #61. This is a good get..broke the ice.
Brusinbear2001
I also believe the longer clip was her sophomore season and they said she began to really break out this year so maybe just film we haven't seen that the coaches saw on the recruiting trail!!
Adriacus Peratuun
Folks: note the date on the video……2 years ago. So basically after her freshman year in high school.

She is 2 years more skilled & 2 years more fit at this time. Plus she has this year in high school. And unlike COVID 2020 where Hannah Gusters had no college Summer development [fitness and skills], Abraham will have an entire Summer with the Baylor fitness team to start maximizing her physical potential and then college level coaching to improve her skills. When Baylor plays the South Carolina/Stanford/etc. types with "big" Bigs, will have the size to match up nicely.
Adriacus Peratuun
One other thought….the other video from 2021 is 17 seconds long. 17 seconds.

Was it 17 seconds after 3 hours of practice? Exactly how much can you evaluate her talent in 17 seconds?

Anyone taking that video as proof [positive or negative] of her capabilities needs to rethink their position. Don't know any player that be correctly & fully evaluated in 17 seconds.
blueeyedbear
Bulldog said:

You and other posters haven't learned a thing the last few years about how "rankings" are only ONE indicator and not necessary always that accurate.
Let me remind you that Tom Brady was taken in the sixth round # 199 in the NFL draft.
Remember Megan Gustafson from Iowa ? Who scored on us at will !!! she was ranked # 80
How about recent Baylor history - how about that # 1 ranked Class with Queen Egbo was ranked # 7, NaLyssa Smith was ranked # 13 and is in the running for National POY, Aquira DeCosta was ranked # 3 and may or may not play in NAIA division ball this year. Remember where Nina Davis was ranked ???
My point is - its still a gamble you just do not know how a kid is going to react yo D1 level ball.
These ranking polls can quote PPG, SPG, RPG, APG but have no matrix for heart, work ethic, determination, coachability, all the important WANT TO.
Ranked # 61 now - lets she where she ends up after her Senior year. I do not really care - she is a keeper with a lot of upside !! AND now we have a foot in the door we have not had before to some really talented recruits - that may be the biggest get.
The hardest part of recruiting but the most rewarding is finding the "diamond" Time will tell if CNC has signed a diamond but I like the potential.
Regarding Sammy Wagner - this is gonna piss some posters off but truth be told she is not a big loss (actually we never had her after her (decommit) while she is a good kid and well schooled baller and I wish her well - her upside is minimal - A solid role player for somebody just not the player a lot of posters think she is - her play this summer sealed that for me)
Wbbfan29
I agree, I hate when people get so hung up on player ranking. People forget that Nina davis was ranked #40 and looked what she accomplished. Decosta was top 5 coming out of high school and everyone has pretty much forgot about her. Rella Booth was #3 in her class and promised Texas that they were going to to win national championship. . A high ranking doesn't mean that the player will automatically excel and low ranking doesn't mean they will be a bust. Hell I am ecstatic to get any top 100 kid. I will take any athlete that has the will to win.
Adriacus Peratuun
Some recent years' recruiting rankings……some times they get it right, some times they get it wrong, some times they get it on the board but not close to the bullseye.

DanaDane
Yep, I see Alexis Morris on that list. Another one of the huge busts. What school is she on now? #4? #5? #6?
Brusinbear2001
she is on 4 at LSU i think it is so crazy how it happen that way. I thought she would play a bigger role at A&M but she didn't and I feel she might have her chance at LSU but who knows.
Dcheetah
https://twitter.com/PGHWisconsin/status/1450220906782068736?t=WY2gK7zKVbxCJVDfVVd7MQ&s=19

Kamorea Arnold (bottom pic) is #1 and top 10 in country and a top target for 2023
Dr. J
This is a BIG score for BU and the new coaching staff. I am happy for them and the future of the program. It is a Top 100 player and, with the visits over the past weekend of some top players for 2022 and 2024, we should be excited for the future of the program.

SirBearALot
She had nice form in her shots, moved easy.. I like. Kept the ball up. Turned and faced up good.....
74Bear
Just making a guess because I don't follow WBB recruiting like a few years ago but I suspect Abraham is more of a late bloomer. Seems she wasn't really on the radar a few years ago, now she breaks out during AAU season and starts moving up the charts.
Bulldog
Adriacus Peratuun said:

Bulldog said:

It is time for your second afternoon nap so that you will have enough energy to make it to your 4:30 p.m. dinner at Luby's. That Lou Ann platter sitting next to your inflatable Kim Mulkey doll has to be the highlight of your day.

Don't worry about the Baylor Women's Basketball program [the Bears], it is thrivin
Lou Ann platter and afternoon nap much better than the perpetual coma you are in, occasionally waking up long enough to eat a Banquet or Swanson TV dinner. Obviously, your intellect doesn't allow you the ability to see or face truth. With the departures of Smith and Egbo next year, and possibly Lewis and Asbury, the future of our program is in serious jeopardy and has been since Coach Mulkey left. Losing Dauda, Lattimore to UT, and Smith to LSU plus having Wagner eliminate us is not good news. Perhaps taking some geritol with those TV dinners might help....
Wbbfan29
We can very well get some good players out the portal for next year. We have already established that we will be down next year. It is what it is. Can't force people to go to baylor that want to be somewhere else.
blueeyedbear
Wbbfan29 said:

I agree, I hate when people get so hung up on player ranking. People forget that Nina davis was ranked #40 and looked what she accomplished. Decosta was top 5 coming out of high school and everyone has pretty much forgot about her. Rella Booth was #3 in her class and promised Texas that they were going to to win national championship. . A high ranking doesn't mean that the player will automatically excel and low ranking doesn't mean they will be a bust. Hell I am ecstatic to get any top 100 kid. I will take any athlete that has the will to win.
Add Joiner Holmes and Charlie Collier to the Texas bust list
Bulldog
blueeyedbear said:

Wbbfan29 said:

Add Joiner Holmes and Charlie Collier to the Texas bust list
Joyner Holmes was a complete bust. Collier not so much. While Mulkey and our girls defended her very well, she put up big numbers otherwise and was the #1 WNBA. Draft pick. Texas also had a coach in Aston not known for development while Schaefer is outstanding at developing. Rankings are subjective, but the days of us getting highly ranked players has been put on hold and very much depends on THIS YEAR....
Wbbfan29
Everyone loses the recruiting battle sometimes. We have a new coach.. it will take sometime.
DanaDane
Although there have been plenty of other busts in Austin, it's kinda tough to refer to Collier as a bust when she was a two time All Big 12 selection, the first AP All American at UT since 2007 and the #1 pick in WNBA draft.
Wbbfan29
According to Texas we are desperate because we are happy we got Abraham . Since when is being happy about CNC first commit a bad thing.
Brusinbear2001
Naz Hillmon from Michigan was a #58 recruit coming out of high school and now she is one of the top players in the country that people have circled on scouting reports. That is one of the most recent defy the ranking stories i have heard and she got great with opportunity and Baylor will give Kyla her opportunity. I wonder how recruits feel when they haven't even stepped foot on campus as a Baylor bear and a fan base already has doubt in her. Kyla Abraham if you see this this fan supports you and you will be great!!
Adriacus Peratuun
To clear up the analysis on Collier:

Regular season against non-Baylor teams she was not a bust.

Regular season against Baylor and post-season she was a huge bust.
Wbbfan29
Exactly and she gave us so many problems in the sweet 16. And we have to face her again this year. I'm glad to have Abraham. She moves well, has good post moves and I can't wait to see how she develops.
Bulldog
Wbbfan29 said:

According to Texas we are desperate because we are happy we got Abraham . Since when is being happy about CNC first commit a bad thing.

Saw this already and thus my post and comments. What they say is true, TU is loading up and we aren't. I was a huge KM fan and supporter and admit that, but she did not leave us in a very good position and this year is going to be huge for our future. If CNC and staff can prove themselves, then future recruiting could be good. It's frustrating losing out on so many good players, especially who we thought were in the bag.
slimecap
Wbbfan29 said:

Hi WBBfan29,
Appreciate your post!
I love Texas spin ...
It gives me a chuckle during those times when I am having a challenging work day.

For the comparative apple to ORANGE rankings crowd
NEW 2022 HOOPGURLZ RANKINGS
Released Sept 28, 2021

57 Sa'Myah Smith
61 Kyla Abraham

Just enjoying my life in the world of perspective.
P.S. My definition of "desperate" is when Central Market has sold out of Lillie's Smoky BBQ sauce
Sic 'em Kyla !
Wbbfan29
Okay but Bulldog we still have a long way to go . Yes we missed out on some players but we will be okay. Let's be positive. This was a good week and a step in the right direction. It is no point in constantly pointing out the negative things which us as fans can't do scathing about. We just need to support CNC and the players that are willing to play for her. Kyla has been on this board and screenshoted some comments and put it on her Instagram story and tagged Queen. Luckily they were positive comments. The last thing we need is to make a commit feel bad and unwanted because her ranking is not what we are you too. LETS STAY POSITIVE BECAUSE WE ARE STILL BAYLOR !!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.