The Collapse of Christian Faith in the US

31,711 Views | 676 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by whiterock
FLBear5630
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Osodecentx said:

RMF5630 said:

Oldbear83 said:

RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Osodecentx said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

1 - Continually tell people that they are living wrong.
2 - Guilt them into doing what the Church wants them to do.
3 - Continually hit them up for money

Wonder why people are not going to Church....
what does the church want them to do?

You want people to come to Service, stop guilting the **** out of them. I can't go to a service, Catholic or Lutheran and not get hit up for money. If it's not 10% of gross, you are not tithing and are lectured why I should.

In FL Baptist are worse, your whole life has to revolve around their building complex. Yeah, that will attract people to the Word. Too many, the Word is "revenue"...

We'll, that answered your #3 by basically repeating #3. Close enough.

Let's try your #2. It sounds like a big concern.

No, the guilt is much more than just money. It is basically anything the Church doesn't want. They don't just explain what is wrong, they pound on eternal damnation etc. In a time of more educated congregation, it plays as control not moral assistance. Then hitting up for cash makes it worse.

They wonder why attendance is down? Can't use 19th Century tactics on a 21st Century congregation. They will walk away.

Other than not giving, guilt in what?

People are different and churches are led by people. Do all the church leaders want the same thing?

Attendance is important, if that's the goal.

It seems odd that if money seems to be the goal the church couldn't figure out that low attendance doesn't lead to big money.

Joel Olsteen doesn't seem to have an issue with attendance or inflicting guilt and the dudes got tons of money coming in. Is he doing it the right way?
Oh, beside tithing (the favorite of the Protestants, the Catholics are copying on that!) sex life, service attendance, morals in general. The "stick" message is not being received by the younger generations, time to try something else.

Pews are half empty every week. The number of families I see, I can count on one hand. Most are over 40, with a good percent over 60. We go to an early Mass, so probably more at later services but not many. I am seeing Communion and Confirmation classes of 3 to 5. What I made mine, over 150 easy. Data seems to be supporting it. My Adult kids, only on Christmas and Easter. They both went to Catholic school, Church every Sunday, and never missed Communion or Confirmation classes. In their 20's, as I am told, they don't want to hear that living together is a sin or to give 10% of the 50k he makes and can barley survive. It is not an uncommon message.
The 10% requirement game is a sin in my mind.

2 Corinthians 9:7

Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

2 Corinthians 8:12

For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what one does not have.

If 10% is a requirement, how can we be commanded in the New Testament, not to give under compulsion or as a requirement. If we simply don't have the money, how can you give according to what you don't have.

I think educated Theologians should be taken out to the woodshed for pushing the tithe as if it is a Law, when through Christ we are no longer under the burden of the law. How can you "give freely" if there is a minimum requirement.

Southern Baptist teach it as if it is the 11th commandment. I believe their theology here is in error. I have never been to a SBC church where they didn't say to give your Tithes and Offerings, as if we are still under the Law of the Tithe.

10% isn't a requirement for salvation

I'm a member of a Southern Baptist church. I haven't heard 10% preached in my memory. We do support our church and several parachurch organizations

God owns the cattle on a thousand hills. He doesn't need your money. If that is stumbling you, keep your money
It's not a stumbling issue for me at all. I have attended, in the past, a church that required a 10% commitment, and then shaming if you couldn't keep up with that.

It is a stumbling issue though for pastors who teach this subject incorrectly. It should be taught as it is in the New Testament church, not in the Old Testament Temple. Incorrect teaching is my issue. And incorrect teaching that shames poor, who often actually need help and assistance, not a requirement to give 10% of what they don't posses.

When giving time comes around and "tithes and offerings" are on the projection or mentioned, which it has been in every Baptist church I've ever attended, tithe means 10%, so it may not be preached, but it is certainly assumed.

Some in church should give much much more than 10%, some can't give any, all should give what they have determined in their heart, without compulsion.
Glad I haven't attended your church. I think that is an incorrect interpretation/application if it is being taught as a requirement

While tithing is not a requirement for salvation, it is an act of obedience. And I do think it could be interpreted as sinful if one neglects that act of obedience. Of course, there is no requirement of 10%.
The original discussion was Church membership and attendance is falling off more and more.

I am offering reasons why the younger generations are avoiding Church. We all will pretty much disagree that they are satisfactory reasons, since everyone here pretty much attends every week (at least based on the conversation).

But it is all a matter of degrees:

I usually show up for the homily, leave when the Priest says "the Mass has ended, go" and am not a stickler on Holy Days. My pre-Vatican 2 Dad, is on me about it every time the subject comes up, even though I never miss a Sunday, Christmas or Easter, go to confession once a year and go to communion consistently. He is constantly on me about it.

My son and daughter, they do not attend, live with their significant others and see no use for Church until they have kids. They say they believe and were raised going every week, My wife (she goes on time and follows every tenant) and I disagree with them and would be happy if they went once a month and got married!

I have nieces and nephews that pretty much don't believe and think it is superstition akin to voodoo or worshiping a volcano. My in-laws would be ecstatic if they just came back to believing.

Some would say all are the same. The one showing up late is just as bad as those that don't go or don't believe. That is a tough nut for the current times...

What is interesting is that while the traditional denominations have seen a steady decline, the non-denominational Bible churches, have seen rapid growth the last decade. So not all churches are dying. I do think that part of the problem with some of these churches is an attempt to conform to today's mores. If history has shown us, anything, it is that a water down version of the gospel will not attract people. When the church embraces sin and lifestyles that are outside of God's will, as many of today's churches have done (see the Presbyterian's, Methodists and Episcopalians) it is always followed by a significant decline in membership.
I agree that the Gospel does not change. I also believe that there are sound basics that don't change, such as 10 Commandments, the Beatitudes and the Gospels. I would venture that most of the issues are more from dogma's of the institutions, not the Gospels... No one said water down the Gospels. Maybe focus on the Gospels and sacraments more and the how to live your life from the pulpit less.

By the way, I didn't say Bible because the Gospels seem to be the only thing the denominations seem to agree on! Where I have issues in the Bible is more with Paul's teachings, not a big fan of Paul.
I agree with your statement that dogmas of the institutions are the issue as opposed to scripture itself. When we add requirements to salvation, among other things, we are twisting the gospel message.

As for Paul, what is your issue with him?
Seems most of how Churches operate seem attributed to him and his letters. He was sort of a know it all that pushed his way to the adult table, even though there is no proof he saw Christ. Just not my favorite.
Seems to me Paul's writings are consistent with Gospel teachings. As for what he saw, we only have the testimony of Mary and some others that Jesus rose from the dead.

I take it on faith.

We all have different parts that we like. I am partial to Mark over the other Gospels. Due to it being the earliest, my wife read Mathew. I thought Paul was a whiny know it all *****, preferred Peter. Such is human bias.
Seems like you should take the parts you agree with and the parts that make you uncomfortable, the whole counsel of God.

Don't we all do that to some extend. Obedience does not mean agreement. Don't you think God wants us to think about these things? Or, do you believe Jesus message is blind obedience to the rules and interpretations the "Church" or "Pharacies" say?
Oldbear83
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

RMF5630 said:

Oldbear83 said:

RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Osodecentx said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

You want people to come to Service, stop guilting the **** out of them. I can't go to a service, Catholic or Lutheran and not get hit up for money. If it's not 10% of gross, you are not tithing and are lectured why I should.

In FL Baptist are worse, your whole life has to revolve around their building complex. Yeah, that will attract people to the Word. Too many, the Word is "revenue"...

No, the guilt is much more than just money. It is basically anything the Church doesn't want. They don't just explain what is wrong, they pound on eternal damnation etc. In a time of more educated congregation, it plays as control not moral assistance. Then hitting up for cash makes it worse.

They wonder why attendance is down? Can't use 19th Century tactics on a 21st Century congregation. They will walk away.

People are different and churches are led by people. Do all the church leaders want the same thing?

It seems odd that if money seems to be the goal the church couldn't figure out that low attendance doesn't lead to big money.

Joel Olsteen doesn't seem to have an issue with attendance or inflicting guilt and the dudes got tons of money coming in. Is he doing it the right way?
Oh, beside tithing (the favorite of the Protestants, the Catholics are copying on that!) sex life, service attendance, morals in general. The "stick" message is not being received by the younger generations, time to try something else.

Pews are half empty every week. The number of families I see, I can count on one hand. Most are over 40, with a good percent over 60. We go to an early Mass, so probably more at later services but not many. I am seeing Communion and Confirmation classes of 3 to 5. What I made mine, over 150 easy. Data seems to be supporting it. My Adult kids, only on Christmas and Easter. They both went to Catholic school, Church every Sunday, and never missed Communion or Confirmation classes. In their 20's, as I am told, they don't want to hear that living together is a sin or to give 10% of the 50k he makes and can barley survive. It is not an uncommon message.

Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what one does not have.

If 10% is a requirement, how can we be commanded in the New Testament, not to give under compulsion or as a requirement. If we simply don't have the money, how can you give according to what you don't have.

I think educated Theologians should be taken out to the woodshed for pushing the tithe as if it is a Law, when through Christ we are no longer under the burden of the law. How can you "give freely" if there is a minimum requirement.

Southern Baptist teach it as if it is the 11th commandment. I believe their theology here is in error. I have never been to a SBC church where they didn't say to give your Tithes and Offerings, as if we are still under the Law of the Tithe.

I'm a member of a Southern Baptist church. I haven't heard 10% preached in my memory. We do support our church and several parachurch organizations

God owns the cattle on a thousand hills. He doesn't need your money. If that is stumbling you, keep your money
It's not a stumbling issue for me at all. I have attended, in the past, a church that required a 10% commitment, and then shaming if you couldn't keep up with that.

It is a stumbling issue though for pastors who teach this subject incorrectly. It should be taught as it is in the New Testament church, not in the Old Testament Temple. Incorrect teaching is my issue. And incorrect teaching that shames poor, who often actually need help and assistance, not a requirement to give 10% of what they don't posses.

When giving time comes around and "tithes and offerings" are on the projection or mentioned, which it has been in every Baptist church I've ever attended, tithe means 10%, so it may not be preached, but it is certainly assumed.

Some in church should give much much more than 10%, some can't give any, all should give what they have determined in their heart, without compulsion.
Glad I haven't attended your church. I think that is an incorrect interpretation/application if it is being taught as a requirement

While tithing is not a requirement for salvation, it is an act of obedience. And I do think it could be interpreted as sinful if one neglects that act of obedience. Of course, there is no requirement of 10%.
The original discussion was Church membership and attendance is falling off more and more.

I am offering reasons why the younger generations are avoiding Church. We all will pretty much disagree that they are satisfactory reasons, since everyone here pretty much attends every week (at least based on the conversation).

I usually show up for the homily, leave when the Priest says "the Mass has ended, go" and am not a stickler on Holy Days. My pre-Vatican 2 Dad, is on me about it every time the subject comes up, even though I never miss a Sunday, Christmas or Easter, go to confession once a year and go to communion consistently. He is constantly on me about it.

My son and daughter, they do not attend, live with their significant others and see no use for Church until they have kids. They say they believe and were raised going every week, My wife (she goes on time and follows every tenant) and I disagree with them and would be happy if they went once a month and got married!

I have nieces and nephews that pretty much don't believe and think it is superstition akin to voodoo or worshiping a volcano. My in-laws would be ecstatic if they just came back to believing.

Some would say all are the same. The one showing up late is just as bad as those that don't go or don't believe. That is a tough nut for the current times...

What is interesting is that while the traditional denominations have seen a steady decline, the non-denominational Bible churches, have seen rapid growth the last decade. So not all churches are dying. I do think that part of the problem with some of these churches is an attempt to conform to today's mores. If history has shown us, anything, it is that a water down version of the gospel will not attract people. When the church embraces sin and lifestyles that are outside of God's will, as many of today's churches have done (see the Presbyterian's, Methodists and Episcopalians) it is always followed by a significant decline in membership.
I agree that the Gospel does not change. I also believe that there are sound basics that don't change, such as 10 Commandments, the Beatitudes and the Gospels. I would venture that most of the issues are more from dogma's of the institutions, not the Gospels... No one said water down the Gospels. Maybe focus on the Gospels and sacraments more and the how to live your life from the pulpit less.

By the way, I didn't say Bible because the Gospels seem to be the only thing the denominations seem to agree on! Where I have issues in the Bible is more with Paul's teachings, not a big fan of Paul.
I agree with your statement that dogmas of the institutions are the issue as opposed to scripture itself. When we add requirements to salvation, among other things, we are twisting the gospel message.

Seems most of how Churches operate seem attributed to him and his letters. He was sort of a know it all that pushed his way to the adult table, even though there is no proof he saw Christ. Just not my favorite.
Seems to me Paul's writings are consistent with Gospel teachings. As for what he saw, we only have the testimony of Mary and some others that Jesus rose from the dead.

I take it on faith.

We all have different parts that we like. I am partial to Mark over the other Gospels. Due to it being the earliest, my wife read Mathew. I thought Paul was a whiny know it all *****, preferred Peter. Such is human bias.
Seems like you should take the parts you agree with and the parts that make you uncomfortable, the whole counsel of God.
Wise counsel. Hard to accept sometimes, but important to remember the road is narrow for a reason.
uh oh! That's the stuf that drives folks away. We need more warm fuzzies.
I agreed with Oso. That should be worth two kittens and a puppy.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
LIB,MR BEARS
RMF5630 said:

Osodecentx said:

RMF5630 said:

Oldbear83 said:

RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Osodecentx said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

I take it on faith.

Don't we all do that to some extend. Obedience does not mean agreement. Don't you think God wants us to think about these things? Or, do you believe Jesus message is blind obedience to the rules and interpretations the "Church" or "Pharacies" say?

Many times, Christ tells us to "fear not." Most often, that goes completely against our nature. We want to disagree with Christ at these times. Is that t then wrong to place our faith in Christ, in His will?

"Fear not" isn't exactly a rule that requires action but where do we draw lines or rationalize what is best for us as our will sees it and what is best for us as Christ sees it?
Osodecentx
RMF5630 said:

Osodecentx said:

RMF5630 said:

Oldbear83 said:

RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

Osodecentx said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

Osodecentx said:

Forest Bueller_bf said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

I take it on faith.

Don't we all do that to some extend. Probably
Obedience does not mean agreement. Yep
Don't you think God wants us to think about these things? Yep
Or, do you believe Jesus message is blind obedience to the rules and interpretations the "Church" or "Pharacies" say? Nope
Scripture is difficult
quash
LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

nobody wants to hear what they are doing is sun just as nobody wants to hear they have cancer. But, if a person doesn't know they have cancer, they will not seek a cure. If a person doesn't know they are a sinner, why would they ever seek forgiveness?

This cancer was invented just to sell their cure.
β€œLife, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
LIB,MR BEARS
quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

nobody wants to hear what they are doing is sun just as nobody wants to hear they have cancer. But, if a person doesn't know they have cancer, they will not seek a cure. If a person doesn't know they are a sinner, why would they ever seek forgiveness?

That's a crazy revenue stream when you start counting torture, loss of family, career and life as revenue.
FLBear5630
quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

"If a person doesn't know they are a sinner, why would they ever seek forgiveness?"

Really? I am sure even the most amoral person knows when they are breaking the 10 Commandments. Let's just end that charade, people know when they are doing wrong. You put bullets in someone, sleep with someone else's wife, lie, or steal you know that isn't OK. They don't care and telling them they should or they are going to Hell doesn't seem to have the teeth it did 400 years ago.

Those that seek forgiveness have to care that they are forgiven. Getting that message across needs to change with the times, a Priest or Pastor on a pulpit telling them they are sinners doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore.

Sam Lowry
RMF5630 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

"If a person doesn't know they are a sinner, why would they ever seek forgiveness?"

Really? I am sure even the most amoral person knows when they are breaking the 10 Commandments. Let's just end that charade, people know when they are doing wrong. You put bullets in someone, sleep with someone else's wife, lie, or steal you know that isn't OK. They don't care and telling them they should or they are going to Hell doesn't seem to have the teeth it did 400 years ago.

Those that seek forgiveness have to care that they are forgiven. Getting that message across needs to change with the times, a Priest or Pastor on a pulpit telling them they are sinners doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore.

I always say let's keep the moralizing out of church and save it for where it belongs: international politics!
Mothra
RMF5630 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

I used to do a lot of evangelism to strangers during my college years. One of the first questions we would ask after asking the individual if they had a faith (which many purported to have) is, "If you died today, and god asked you why he should let you into heaven, what would you say?" I can't tell you how many people said, "Because I am a good person." If I had to guess at the percentage of people who said that, it was roughly 80%. They had no concept of their depravity, and need for grace.

So, I have to disagree with you that people's recognition of themselves as sinners is a foregone conclusion. The message of the Gospels is, and always has been, we are sinners saved by Christ's grace. You can't have one without the other.
LIB,MR BEARS
RMF5630 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

If I'm not mistaken, you said earlier in this post that your kids are living with their significant other out of wedlock. If they are good with that, is it because they don't know it's a sin or don't care it's a sin?
"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." Does everyone understand that greed is a sin? I don't think so.

People struggle to know the difference between discernment, judgement, and condemnation. If they struggle with these things, how can they know which of these is a sin?

More than half of American men view porn on a weekly basis. Do they know it's a sin and don't care or what?

People don't always know their sin. It's that simple.
Oldbear83
Shewt, it goes all the way back to Genesis. Snake goes up to Eve, and asks her "Did God Really Say That?", puts doubt in her mind.

Then the Snake says 'you will surely not die, but be like God', which is two tricks. It is not only a lie, it tries to get Eve thinking the way Satan does.

And of course, it worked.

Flattery.

Assurance of no consequence.

A little suggestion that only cowards follow the rules ...

Amazing how much damage can be done that way.
FLBear5630
Mothra said:

RMF5630 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

I used to do a lot of evangelism to strangers during my college years. One of the first questions we would ask after asking the individual if they had a faith (which many purported to have) is, "If you died today, and god asked you why he should let you into heaven, what would you say?" I can't tell you how many people said, "Because I am a good person." If I had to guess at the percentage of people who said that, it was roughly 80%. They had no concept of their depravity, and need for grace.

So, I have to disagree with you that people's recognition of themselves as sinners is a foregone conclusion. The message of the Gospels is, and always has been, we are sinners saved by Christ's grace. You can't have one without the other.
Yeah, but in today's environment with the amounts of information out there the Word has to get out for the Holy Spirit to do its (went asexual) thing. Not like the 1900's where the traveling Pastor was a source of info. Info, correct and incorrect, is out there everywhere.
FLBear5630
LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

If I'm not mistaken, you said earlier in this post that your kids are living with their significant other out of wedlock. If they are good with that, is it because they don't know it's a sin or don't care it's a sin?
"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows." Does everyone understand that greed is a sin? I don't think so.

People struggle to know the difference between discernment, judgement, and condemnation. If they struggle with these things, how can they know which of these is a sin?

More than half of American men view porn on a weekly basis. Do they know it's a sin and don't care or what?

Oh, they know. They rationalize it with the cost of rent. Believe me, we have had this conversation.

Where we differ is that you guys seem to believe that if people do it, they don't know. I say the know, they don't care and rationalize.
Mothra
RMF5630 said:

Mothra said:

RMF5630 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Yeah, but in today's environment with the amounts of information out there the Word has to get out for the Holy Spirit to do its (went asexual) thing. Not like the 1900's where the traveling Pastor was a source of info. Info, correct and incorrect, is out there everywhere.
So, because they know, don't focus on their need for a savior who can forgive their sins? If that's the case, what is the point in sharing only part of the gospel with them?
Mothra
RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

Oh, they know. They rationalize it with the cost of rent. Believe me, we have had this conversation.

Where we differ is that you guys seem to believe that if people do it, they don't know. I say the know, they don't care and rationalize.
Well, your kids know, because you taught them. However, I think you would be surprised at how many people are glib on the subject.
LIB,MR BEARS
So if I'm reading you correctly, they have put their wants and desires ahead of God's.
To me, that is putting another god ( personal desires) ahead of God.

People don't want condemnation in their preaching. People don't want to know they are evil when they think they're good. I think the correct answer is the Whole Word of God.

We can all rationalize our desires. The Bible has plenty to say about our will vs God's will.

The broad path is easy and the narrow path is hard. People don't want a Savior because they don't think they need a Savior.

humility and the gospel are the hardest simple things there are.
Oldbear83
LIB,MR BEARS said:

So if I'm reading you correctly, they have put their wants and desires ahead of God's.

People don't want condemnation in their preaching. People don't want to know they are evil when they think they're good. I think the correct answer is the Whole Word of God.

We can all rationalize our desires. The Bible has plenty to say about our will vs God's will.

The broad path is easy and the narrow path is hard. People don't want a Savior because they don't think they need a Savior.

One thing a lot of people never understood, is just who the Pharisees were.

A lot of folks see them as hypocrites because of the way Jesus spoke about them. But originally, the Pharisees were Jews who saw their faith being treated more and more as a ritual with no real purpose, and everything from prayers to sacrifices were just going through the motions. The original Pharisees were going to create a revival of devotion to God, as it were, by living the Law rather than just paying lip service to it.

Ironic then, that by Jesus' day so many Pharisses had become what the original Pharisses were trying to prevent.

Again, if you go back to Genesis, we all know Cain killed Abel. Why? Basically, God rejected Cain's sacrifices and accepted Abel's, because Abel was grateful to God and happy to serve Him, while Cain resented the sacrifices and only acted as he felt he was being forced to do.

A lot of people love God only when they are getting what they want. If they don't have the life they want, the money, the spouse, the privilege and so on, they start to believe they are somehow being cheated.

In every church I ever attended, I saw two kinds of members. The ones who wanted to be there because they liked to be seen as good and pious, and those who went to Church to sincerely praise God and learn more about Him. That second type always understood that we can never pay back God for what we have, but God gives freely in Love, and we are meant to live in the same way.
FLBear5630
LIB,MR BEARS said:

The original post was why they are falling away.

I am not arguing. I am trying to discuss how to get their attention, if we want that. If we are punting a generation or two because, "Oh well, they are going to Hell on the wide path" that is a strategy, I guess.
57Bear
Oldbear83 said:

"Joel Olsteen doesn't seem to have an issue with attendance or inflicting guilt and the dudes got tons of money coming in. Is he doing it the right way?"

Osteen is completely self-promoting, a dangerous charlatan selling the 'Prosperity Gospel', which leads his congregation into very non-Christian behaviors.

Osteen is very rich, very popular, and hellbound.
A hundred million dollars isn't what it used to be. That is not based on personal experience!
LIB,MR BEARS
RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

I am not arguing. I am trying to discuss how to get their attention, if we want that. If we are punting a generation or two because, "Oh well, they are going to Hell on the wide path" that is a strategy, I guess.

I think I understand your frustration. When I was a young father, I shirked my responsibility as a Christian father, blew off church, scripture, the gospel and everything else that would have taught my kids about God, Creation, the Savior etc.

Today, what seems so obvious for me is not obvious to one of my kids. I can't hit rewind to go back and do it right and I don't think shaking them by the collar is the right answer. So now, I pray, I ask the occasional question, I make myself available for discussion and I pray some more.
FLBear5630
LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

I think I understand your frustration. When I was a young father, I shirked my responsibility as a Christian father, blew off church, scripture, the gospel and everything else that would have taught my kids about God, Creation, the Savior etc.

Today, what seems so obvious for me is not obvious to one of my kids. I can't hit rewind to go back and do it right and I don't think shaking them by the collar is the right answer. So now, I pray, I ask the occasional question, I make myself available for discussion and I pray some more.
This thread is not how to undo a bad upbringing for you or me. It was about why people are falling away from the Church and how to get them back.

The question is how to get the younger generations back. Or do we just punt them?
BylrFan
RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

This thread is not how to undo a bad upbringing for you or me. It was about why people are falling away from the Church and how to get them back.

The question is how to get the younger generations back. Or do we just punt them?

The problem has always been the churches themselves. They've been let loose and have lost focus on the mission. Each church you go to, they're vastly different in how they're managed and what they teach.

I've seen a larger percentage of folks doing at home teachings. There's some good churches out there but I've been to a few questioning why they exist.
FLBear5630
BylrFan said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

The problem has always been the churches themselves. They've been let loose and have lost focus on the mission. Each church you go to, they're vastly different in how they're managed and what they teach.

I've seen a larger percentage of folks doing at home teachings. There's some good churches out there but I've been to a few questioning why they exist.

That is something the Moslems and Jews do very well, it is very standardized.
LIB,MR BEARS
RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

I thought my post addressed that. I even included grabbing them by the collar.
FLBear5630
LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

I thought my post addressed that. I even included grabbing them by the collar.
I probably missed it, long day yesterday...
Waco1947
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

JXL said:

Waco1947 said:

He Hate Me said:

Waco1947 said:

I recognize and hold to the authority of scripture, but I do not agree to your interpretation.
It is not a matter of interpretation. It is a matter of whether you obey or not.
Why obey a questionable interpretation?

You still haven't answered my question when you said (in effect) that you supported "faith not dogma," and I asked you "faith in what?"
Jesus Christ
How you know Jesus? Has He spoke to you? Come to you in a vision perhaps? Maybe, written text? Is it one of these or something else?
All of the above but always define your terms.

Why? You take whatever is written and reinterpret it to fit your own desires.
You ducked the question
Waco1947
LIB,MR BEARS
Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

Waco1947 said:

JXL said:

Waco1947 said:

He Hate Me said:

Waco1947 said:

I recognize and hold to the authority of scripture, but I do not agree to your interpretation.
It is not a matter of interpretation. It is a matter of whether you obey or not.
Why obey a questionable interpretation?

You still haven't answered my question when you said (in effect) that you supported "faith not dogma," and I asked you "faith in what?"
Jesus Christ
How you know Jesus? Has He spoke to you? Come to you in a vision perhaps? Maybe, written text? Is it one of these or something else?
All of the above but always define your terms.

Why? You take whatever is written and reinterpret it to fit your own desires.
You ducked the question

You didn't ask a question
quash
Mothra said:

RMF5630 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

You disagreed with a point be didn't make. He said people know right from wrong.
β€œLife, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Osodecentx
quash said:

Mothra said:

RMF5630 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

You disagreed with a point be didn't make. He said people know right from wrong.

All people?
quash
Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Mothra said:

RMF5630 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

All people?

No. Some people are mentally ill. I never can remember the distinction between psychopath and sociopath.

Mothra
quash said:

Mothra said:

RMF5630 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

I addressed very point he made. Get some reading glasses.
quash
Mothra said:

quash said:

Mothra said:

RMF5630 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

No. You addressed sin.
Wangchung
Redbrickbear said:

Interesting that while the collapse of Christianity (and reform Judaism) in the West is on going...it does not seem to be the same trend in Africa and parts of Latin America and Asia.

[In his book "The Unexpected Christian Century," Scott Sunquist notes that in 1900, about 80 percent of the world's Christian population lived in the Western world and about 20 percent in the majority world. By 2000, only 37 percent lived in the Western world, and nearly two-thirds lived in the majority world. Sub-Saharan Africa had the most striking growth of Christianity, growing from around 9 percent Christian at the beginning of the 20th century to almost 45 percent at the end of it. There are around 685 million Christians in Africa now.

"Christianity at the beginning of the 21st century," said George, "is the most global and most diverse and the most dispersed faith."

In Africa, Latin America and Asia, Christianity is growing in historic denominations, such as Roman Catholicism and Anglicanism, but the most explosive growth has been in Indigenous, independent Pentecostal churches. Sunquist argues that in addition to Roman Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox churches, we ought to start talking about a new family of "spiritual" churches that have no historical ties to Western church traditions. These "spiritual" churches are largely not a result of colonial missions. In fact, the meteoric rise of Christianity in the majority world occurred only after the withdrawal of colonial powers when Christianity became more indigenized.

...The largest church congregation in the world belongs to Yoido Full Gospel Church in Seoul, an Assemblies of God church, which has around 480,000 members. Statistics vary but even conservative estimates guess there were around 98 million evangelical Christians globally in 1970. Now, there are over 342 million.
In my own tradition of Anglicanism, with nearly 60 percent of all Anglicans living in Africa and over 30 percent in Nigeria and Uganda alone, there are most likely more Anglicans in Sunday services in these two countries than in America and England combined.]

https://virtueonline.org/global-transformation-christianity-already-here
Christianity is a powerful tool to bring prosperity to oppressed and downtrodden people. Eventually that prosperity leads the people to use God as a spare tire rather than a steering wheel. They start worrying more about their own money than about being faithful to Christianity.
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
Mothra
quash said:

Mothra said:

quash said:

Mothra said:

RMF5630 said:

quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

RMF5630 said:

Redbrickbear said:

No. You addressed sin.

Do you remember the question he addressed in the post I responded to? Let me help you: "If a person doesn't know they are a sinner, why would they ever seek forgiveness." My post addresses that point.
Redbrickbear
Wangchung said:

Redbrickbear said:

Interesting that while the collapse of Christianity (and reform Judaism) in the West is on going...it does not seem to be the same trend in Africa and parts of Latin America and Asia.

[In his book "The Unexpected Christian Century," Scott Sunquist notes that in 1900, about 80 percent of the world's Christian population lived in the Western world and about 20 percent in the majority world. By 2000, only 37 percent lived in the Western world, and nearly two-thirds lived in the majority world. Sub-Saharan Africa had the most striking growth of Christianity, growing from around 9 percent Christian at the beginning of the 20th century to almost 45 percent at the end of it. There are around 685 million Christians in Africa now.

"Christianity at the beginning of the 21st century," said George, "is the most global and most diverse and the most dispersed faith."

In Africa, Latin America and Asia, Christianity is growing in historic denominations, such as Roman Catholicism and Anglicanism, but the most explosive growth has been in Indigenous, independent Pentecostal churches. Sunquist argues that in addition to Roman Catholic, Protestant and Orthodox churches, we ought to start talking about a new family of "spiritual" churches that have no historical ties to Western church traditions. These "spiritual" churches are largely not a result of colonial missions. In fact, the meteoric rise of Christianity in the majority world occurred only after the withdrawal of colonial powers when Christianity became more indigenized.

...The largest church congregation in the world belongs to Yoido Full Gospel Church in Seoul, an Assemblies of God church, which has around 480,000 members. Statistics vary but even conservative estimates guess there were around 98 million evangelical Christians globally in 1970. Now, there are over 342 million.
In my own tradition of Anglicanism, with nearly 60 percent of all Anglicans living in Africa and over 30 percent in Nigeria and Uganda alone, there are most likely more Anglicans in Sunday services in these two countries than in America and England combined.]

https://virtueonline.org/global-transformation-christianity-already-here
Christianity is a powerful tool to bring prosperity to oppressed and downtrodden people. Eventually that prosperity leads the people to use God as a spare tire rather than a steering wheel. They start worrying more about their own money than about being faithful to Christianity.
Well said.

Widespread adoption of Christian moral norms and values leads to a society seeing rapid economic and civic progress.

People get rich and comfortable and forget God.

The civilization-country-society then begins to come apart.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.