The Fox Gagle

31,667 Views | 808 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 4th and Inches
Sam Lowry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

The Hiroshima/Nagasaki scenario is the kind of false dilemma that often presents itself when you try to apply the trolley hypothetical to real life. A negotiated surrender would have avoided both tragic outcomes. However, it would not have secured our post-war hegemony in the way we desired.

Things get even messier when you consider that elections aren't surprises or one-time events. We all gather to watch this absurd scenario every four years. At some point, reasonable people have to ask who's tying all these people to the tracks and why. Who is this Whiterock, and why is he telling us we have no choice? For that matter, why is his company busy laying tracks and recruiting "volunteers" in countries all over the world? What's his angle? As repulsive as "virtue posturing" may be, there is something worse. Exploiting the misery of others while accusing them of hypocrisy is doubly hypocritical.
How many straw man can you pack into a single post? Thereo was no indication that Japan was prepared to negotiate a surrender.
Of course there was.
Quote:

The top American military leaders who fought World War II, much to the surprise of many who are not aware of the record, were quite clear that the atomic bomb was unnecessary, that Japan was on the verge of surrender, andfor manythat the destruction of large numbers of civilians was immoral. Most were also conservatives, not liberals. Adm. William Leahy, Truman's chief of staff, wrote in his 1950 memoir I Was There that "the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender.… In being the first to use it, we…adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was not taught to make war in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying women and children."

The commanding general of the US Army Air Forces, Henry "Hap" Arnold, gave a strong indication of his views in a public statement 11 days after Hiroshima was attacked. Asked on August 17 by a New York Times reporter whether the atomic bomb caused Japan to surrender, Arnold said that "the Japanese position was hopeless even before the first atomic bomb fell, because the Japanese had lost control of their own air."

Fleet Adm. Chester Nimitz, the commander in chief of the Pacific Fleet, stated in a public address at the Washington Monument two months after the bombings that "the atomic bomb played no decisive part, from a purely military standpoint, in the defeat of Japan." Adm. William "Bull" Halsey Jr., the commander of the US Third Fleet, stated publicly in 1946 that "the first atomic bomb was an unnecessary experiment…. It was a mistake to ever drop it…. [The scientists] had this toy, and they wanted to try it out, so they dropped it…"

Gen. Dwight Eisenhower stated in his memoirs that when notified by Secretary of War Henry Stimson of the decision to use atomic weapons, he "voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives." He later publicly declared, "It wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing." Even the famous hawk Maj. Gen. Curtis LeMay, the head of the Twenty-First Bomber Command, went public the month after the bombing, telling the press that "the atomic bomb had nothing to do with the end of the war at all."

The record is quite clear: From the perspective of an overwhelming number of key contemporary leaders in the US military, the dropping of atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki was not a matter of military necessity. American intelligence had broken the Japanese codes, knew the Japanese government was trying to negotiate surrender through Moscow, and had long advised that the expected early August Russian declaration of war, along with assurances that Japan's emperor would be allowed to stay as a figurehead, would bring surrender long before the first step in a November US invasion could begin.

https://www.thenation.com/article/world/why-the-us-really-bombed-hiroshima/tnamp/

Major reading comprehension error, counselor.

Each one of those statements was an assessment by an American military commander that the use of nuclear weapons was unnecessary because Japan was already defeated. Pointedly NOT one of those statements by any of those commanders indicated they were aware that Japanese political or military leaders were prepared to surrender.
From paragraph 1:

"William Leahy, Truman's chief of staff, wrote in his 1950 memoir I Was There that "the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender."
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

There's no evidence that she donated money. Even if she did, so have many other people who don't support violence but do support peaceful protests and better treatment for low-income defendants. That includes J6 defendants, who should also be entitled to bail if they're not flight risks or a danger to the community. There's nothing wrong with advocating for that, nor does it mean you support the insurrection.
Factcheck? Haha, sure, she just risked her reputation and future political aspirations and promoted the fund that bailed out violent blm rioters, domestic abusers and murderers but couldn't be bothered to donate a dime. "We didn't SEE her do it so we rate it false!" Pull the other one.
The issue isn't whether she donated, but whether she paid specifically to bail out rioters, as you implied. She did not. Nor did any of her efforts support freeing any rioters who were accused of murder.

You're basically telling us that paying someone's bail is an endorsement of their crime. It really isn't. Paying someone's bail because of the crime they did? Sure, that would be endorsing. Not what happened.
That's some impressive tap dancing but the fact is she promoted the fund during the riots. The fund bailed out rioters. The fund also bailed out domestic abusers and murderers. You can't pretend she didn't use her position to help raise $35,000,000 for the organization, even if you are going to pretend she didn't donate her own money.
Yeah, she raised money during the riots. She didn't personally cause them, so that's one little difference between her and Trump.
Except that Trump exhorted his supporters to "peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard" while Kamala said this about ongoing riots:

"They're not going to stop," Harris said at the time. "This is a movement, I'm telling you. They're not going to stop and everyone beware, because they're not going to stop. They're not going to stop before Election Day in November and they're not going to stop after Election Day. Everyone should take note of that on both levels. They're not going to let up and they should not and we should not."

"The exchange between Harris and Colbert -- which took place on June 17, a few weeks after George Floyd was killed by police in Minneapolis -- referred to protests, not riots. The word "riot" is not even mentioned in the 30-second exchange."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/09/01/fact-check-kamala-harris-said-protests-arent-going-stop/5678687002/
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

https://time.com/5886348/report-peaceful-protests/?amp=true
Ah yes, the largely peaceful argument.

I wonder what percentage of the Jan. 6th protestors were non-violent.
A riot is not mostly peaceful. A riot and nine peaceful protests are.

Well, there you go. The BLM "protests," which caused only $1-$2 billion in damages from arson and vandalism and was the most expensive act of civil disobedience in US history were "mostly peaceful." And by that same vein, January 6th was mostly peaceful. Interesting take.
Your logic tank is running low this morning.
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

The difference is between supporting criminality and supporting a cause that may benefit some criminals. It's an important difference.
The distinction without a difference is her personally contributing funds vs. her publicly asking people to do so. The latter is no better than the former, and may even be worse.
I agree (see my 4:00 PM post).
The implication that she didn't know that she was asking for contributions to a fund that bailed out rioters is asinine. The police were only arresting rioters.
I don't disagree with your first statement. The second is extremely unlikely to be true. There are always people getting arrested for non-violent acts of civil disobedience, violating curfew, or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Well if you agree with my first statement, then we should stop there and agree Harris' public support of the fund was despicable.
Then what it comes down to is that a lot of you just don't like bail reform. Kamala is no more despicable in that respect than anyone else who supports it.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

The difference is between supporting criminality and supporting a cause that may benefit some criminals. It's an important difference.
The distinction without a difference is her personally contributing funds vs. her publicly asking people to do so. The latter is no better than the former, and may even be worse.
The implication that she didn't know that she was asking for contributions to a fund that bailed out rioters is asinine. The police were only arresting rioters.
I don't disagree with your first statement. The second is extremely unlikely to be true. There are always people getting arrested for non-violent acts of civil disobedience, violating curfew, or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Well if you agree with my first statement, then we should stop there and agree Harris' public support of the fund was despicable.
Then what it comes down to is that a lot of you just don't like bail reform. Kamala is no more despicable in that respect than anyone else who supports it.

I'm generally ambivalent about bail reform. What I don't like is a politician supporting funding bail to put violent criminals back on the streets during the middle of a riot. No surprise you call it a mere dispute about bail reform. You're regularly obtuse and on the wrong side of most issues.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

https://time.com/5886348/report-peaceful-protests/?amp=true
Ah yes, the largely peaceful argument.

I wonder what percentage of the Jan. 6th protestors were non-violent.
A riot is not mostly peaceful. A riot and nine peaceful protests are.

Well, there you go. The BLM "protests," which caused only $1-$2 billion in damages from arson and vandalism and was the most expensive act of civil disobedience in US history were "mostly peaceful." And by that same vein, January 6th was mostly peaceful. Interesting take.
Your logic tank is running low this morning.

That would describe you all the time my friend.
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

I'm generally ambivalent about bail reform. What I don't like is a politician supporting funding bail to put violent criminals back on the streets during the middle of a riot. No surprise you call it a mere dispute about bail reform. You're regularly obtuse and on the wrong side of most issues.
You have trouble separating issues. Funding bail and supporting violence are two different ones.
Wangchung
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

You have trouble separating issues. Funding bail and supporting violence are two different ones.
Not when you fund the bail of criminals who then go out and commit more crime.
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
Sam Lowry
Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Two different issues.
Wangchung
Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Two different issues.
No, they are literally tied directly together. Specific examples have been given, even by your link. Yet still all you've come up with, "nuh uh".
Our vibrations were getting nasty. But why? I was puzzled, frustrated... Had we deteriorated to the level of dumb beasts?
Wangchung
"Duuuuuuh, Kamala just bailed out the criminals! That's not connected to the crimes those criminals then went on to commit with their kamala funded freedom!"
Sam Lowry
Wangchung said:

"Duuuuuuh, Kamala just bailed out the criminals! That's not connected to the crimes those criminals then went on to commit with their kamala funded freedom!"
See above at 10:41 AM.
Wangchung
Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

See above at 10:41 AM.
It's 1:12pm and that post is still wrong.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

There's no evidence that she donated money. Even if she did, so have many other people who don't support violence but do support peaceful protests and better treatment for low-income defendants. That includes J6 defendants, who should also be entitled to bail if they're not flight risks or a danger to the community. There's nothing wrong with advocating for that, nor does it mean you support the insurrection.
Factcheck? Haha, sure, she just risked her reputation and future political aspirations and promoted the fund that bailed out violent blm rioters, domestic abusers and murderers but couldn't be bothered to donate a dime. "We didn't SEE her do it so we rate it false!" Pull the other one.
The issue isn't whether she donated, but whether she paid specifically to bail out rioters, as you implied. She did not. Nor did any of her efforts support freeing any rioters who were accused of murder.

You're basically telling us that paying someone's bail is an endorsement of their crime. It really isn't. Paying someone's bail because of the crime they did? Sure, that would be endorsing. Not what happened.
That's some impressive tap dancing but the fact is she promoted the fund during the riots. The fund bailed out rioters. The fund also bailed out domestic abusers and murderers. You can't pretend she didn't use her position to help raise $35,000,000 for the organization, even if you are going to pretend she didn't donate her own money.
Yeah, she raised money during the riots. She didn't personally cause them, so that's one little difference between her and Trump.
Except that Trump exhorted his supporters to "peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard" while Kamala said this about ongoing riots:

"They're not going to stop," Harris said at the time. "This is a movement, I'm telling you. They're not going to stop and everyone beware, because they're not going to stop. They're not going to stop before Election Day in November and they're not going to stop after Election Day. Everyone should take note of that on both levels. They're not going to let up and they should not and we should not."

"The exchange between Harris and Colbert -- which took place on June 17, a few weeks after George Floyd was killed by police in Minneapolis -- referred to protests, not riots. The word "riot" is not even mentioned in the 30-second exchange."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/09/01/fact-check-kamala-harris-said-protests-arent-going-stop/5678687002/
except that the protests had already turned into riots that overran & burned a police station, not to mention damaged/destroyed tens of millions of dollars of property, and that she was raising money to bail the rioters out of jail.

"Holy one-sentence context, Batman!"

Geez, dude.....
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

The Hiroshima/Nagasaki scenario is the kind of false dilemma that often presents itself when you try to apply the trolley hypothetical to real life. A negotiated surrender would have avoided both tragic outcomes. However, it would not have secured our post-war hegemony in the way we desired.

Things get even messier when you consider that elections aren't surprises or one-time events. We all gather to watch this absurd scenario every four years. At some point, reasonable people have to ask who's tying all these people to the tracks and why. Who is this Whiterock, and why is he telling us we have no choice? For that matter, why is his company busy laying tracks and recruiting "volunteers" in countries all over the world? What's his angle? As repulsive as "virtue posturing" may be, there is something worse. Exploiting the misery of others while accusing them of hypocrisy is doubly hypocritical.
How many straw man can you pack into a single post? Thereo was no indication that Japan was prepared to negotiate a surrender.
Of course there was.
Quote:

The top American military leaders who fought World War II, much to the surprise of many who are not aware of the record, were quite clear that the atomic bomb was unnecessary, that Japan was on the verge of surrender, andfor manythat the destruction of large numbers of civilians was immoral. Most were also conservatives, not liberals. Adm. William Leahy, Truman's chief of staff, wrote in his 1950 memoir I Was There that "the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender.… In being the first to use it, we…adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was not taught to make war in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying women and children."

The commanding general of the US Army Air Forces, Henry "Hap" Arnold, gave a strong indication of his views in a public statement 11 days after Hiroshima was attacked. Asked on August 17 by a New York Times reporter whether the atomic bomb caused Japan to surrender, Arnold said that "the Japanese position was hopeless even before the first atomic bomb fell, because the Japanese had lost control of their own air."

Fleet Adm. Chester Nimitz, the commander in chief of the Pacific Fleet, stated in a public address at the Washington Monument two months after the bombings that "the atomic bomb played no decisive part, from a purely military standpoint, in the defeat of Japan." Adm. William "Bull" Halsey Jr., the commander of the US Third Fleet, stated publicly in 1946 that "the first atomic bomb was an unnecessary experiment…. It was a mistake to ever drop it…. [The scientists] had this toy, and they wanted to try it out, so they dropped it…"

Gen. Dwight Eisenhower stated in his memoirs that when notified by Secretary of War Henry Stimson of the decision to use atomic weapons, he "voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives." He later publicly declared, "It wasn't necessary to hit them with that awful thing." Even the famous hawk Maj. Gen. Curtis LeMay, the head of the Twenty-First Bomber Command, went public the month after the bombing, telling the press that "the atomic bomb had nothing to do with the end of the war at all."

The record is quite clear: From the perspective of an overwhelming number of key contemporary leaders in the US military, the dropping of atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki was not a matter of military necessity. American intelligence had broken the Japanese codes, knew the Japanese government was trying to negotiate surrender through Moscow, and had long advised that the expected early August Russian declaration of war, along with assurances that Japan's emperor would be allowed to stay as a figurehead, would bring surrender long before the first step in a November US invasion could begin.

https://www.thenation.com/article/world/why-the-us-really-bombed-hiroshima/tnamp/

Each one of those statements was an assessment by an American military commander that the use of nuclear weapons was unnecessary because Japan was already defeated. Pointedly NOT one of those statements by any of those commanders indicated they were aware that Japanese political or military leaders were prepared to surrender.
From paragraph 1:

"William Leahy, Truman's chief of staff, wrote in his 1950 memoir I Was There that "the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender."
Please post a copy of the pre-Hiroshima Japanese offer of formal, unconditional surrender.

Now, you are asserting Truman was a maniacal barbarian who spurned a Japanese offer of surrender so he could drop a couple of nukes just to see the mushroom cloud and cackle "boy I really showed those *******s how to bomb a city, didn't I! Hahahahahaha!"

whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

If we apply your analytical construction even-handedly, we would have to delete a few hundred of your posts on J6
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

Of course there was.
Quote:

From paragraph 1:

Please post a copy of the pre-Hiroshima Japanese offer of formal, unconditional surrender.

Now, you are asserting Truman was a maniacal barbarian who spurned a Japanese offer of surrender so he could drop a couple of nukes just to see the mushroom cloud and cackle "boy I really showed those *******s how to bomb a city, didn't I! Hahahahahaha!"

Sorry, I just spent the weekend chasing goalposts with WC. I need a break!
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

If we apply your analytical construction even-handedly, we would have to delete a few hundred of your posts on J6
Again, no.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

Of course there was.
Quote:

From paragraph 1:

Sorry, I just spent the weekend chasing goalposts with WC. I need a break!
yeah, leftists do know how to complicate things. You have that in common with them

Porteroso
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

Of course there was.
Quote:

From paragraph 1:

Its amazing you are so wrong so often. Your reading comprehension is truly shiiite but honestly I should have figured from your username. I'm sometimes impressed by stupid people and you are garnering it like a pig hoarding mud.

If someone is getting ready to do something, like presenting a document or offer, by definition they haven't done it yet, an d have not presented the document. Is that easy enough to understand?

The pig is going to cover itself in mud after the kind farmer bathes it. We all know it. We have the secret intelligence indicating it. The pig itself is squealing about it all across the farm. However before it can get from the bath to the mud, it gets nuked.

Can you see how asking "show me the mud" is a really stupid bar to set for the claim "the pig was going to cover itself in mud?"
whiterock
Porteroso said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

Of course there was.
Quote:

From paragraph 1:

Its amazing you are so wrong so often. Your reading comprehension is truly shiiite but honestly I should have figured from your username. I'm sometimes impressed by stupid people and you are garnering it like a pig hoarding mud.

If someone is getting ready to do something, like presenting a document or offer, by definition they haven't done it yet, an d have not presented the document. Is that easy enough to understand?

The pig is going to cover itself in mud after the kind farmer bathes it. We all know it. We have the secret intelligence indicating it. The pig itself is squealing about it all across the farm. However before it can get from the bath to the mud, it gets nuked.

Can you see how asking "show me the mud" is a really stupid bar to set for the claim "the pig was going to cover itself in mud?"
What a dumb take. Classic analytic error of conflating what SHOULD happen with what WILL happen.

There are a number of scenarios where foreign interests come out of the woodwork offering us things. Most myriad are opposition party leaders who dangle prospects of an imminent coup against a weakening government. "Get on board with us and we'll be very receptive to your entreaties" they say. All kinds of scenarios..."government is going to crack down on us...government is going to fall....president about to go into exile...etc...." All they're doing is trying to further their own agenda, to get US help for their agenda. Sometimes there are 4-5 major threads or more of that going on and twice that many unserious ones. I once traveled across several African countries meeting with reps from one group that ultimately did end up working out & taking power, 6 months down the road (without our help). During that time, there were even factions WITHIN the government ruling class reaching out offering to right the ship. Instability does that.

So were there Japanese officials around the world making overtures in 1945? Japanese opposition leaders doing same? Sure. I'll bet we'll never know how many there were. Might have even been Chinese or Korean groups claiming to know something/someone, offering to do the job, etc..... It's sometimes comical how sophomoric such things can be.

One thing we know for sure.....in 1945 Japan was a military dictatorship with a nominal royal head of state. And neither military leadership nor head of state. the factions that actually controlled the military, had made any kind of public or private made entreaties to the USG to sue for unconditional surrender. They SHOULD have been. They were militarily defeated and had zero percent chance of victory. But. Given their warrior culture, such was so far beyond the scope of their worldview, they were going to solider on to the last soldier, as they had done island after island after island... We did the right thing - we came after them deliberately and relentlessly until they capitulated. We could have dithered around for months/years waiting for the regime to fall, which it likely never would have. To end it, we had to invade (or use the nukes). We wisely chose the latter to force the timely outcome we got.

You guys can make it up and run with internet crackpot theories all you want, but I've actually played the game. You see, everybody reaches out to the spy agencies first, because in most countries in the world, the spies have more influence than the diplomats. Not exactly true in our system, but it is nearly everywhere else and cultural lenses are cultural lenses. So unless you're prepared to post documents out of national archives detailing the discussions between emissaries of Tojo and the Emperor making a formal offer of surrender, you're just pushing bilge out of your bunghole.

Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Porteroso said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

Of course there was.
Quote:

From paragraph 1:

What a dumb take. Classic analytic error of conflating what SHOULD happen with what WILL happen.

There are a number of scenarios where foreign interests come out of the woodwork offering us things. Most myriad are opposition party leaders who dangle prospects of an imminent coup against a weakening government. "Get on board with us and we'll be very receptive to your entreaties" they say. All kinds of scenarios..."government is going to crack down on us...government is going to fall....president about to go into exile...etc...." All they're doing is trying to further their own agenda, to get US help for their agenda. Sometimes there are 4-5 major threads or more of that going on and twice that many unserious ones. I once traveled across several African countries meeting with reps from one group that ultimately did end up working out & taking power, 6 months down the road (without our help). During that time, there were even factions WITHIN the government ruling class reaching out offering to right the ship. Instability does that.

So were there Japanese officials around the world making overtures in 1945? Japanese opposition leaders doing same? Sure. I'll bet we'll never know how many there were. Might have even been Chinese or Korean groups claiming to know something/someone, offering to do the job, etc..... It's sometimes comical how sophomoric such things can be.

One thing we know for sure.....in 1945 Japan was a military dictatorship with a nominal royal head of state. And neither military leadership nor head of state. the factions that actually controlled the military, had made any kind of public or private made entreaties to the USG to sue for unconditional surrender. They SHOULD have been. They were militarily defeated and had zero percent chance of victory. But. Given their warrior culture, such was so far beyond the scope of their worldview, they were going to solider on to the last soldier, as they had done island after island after island... We did the right thing - we came after them deliberately and relentlessly until they capitulated. We could have dithered around for months/years waiting for the regime to fall, which it likely never would have. To end it, we had to invade (or use the nukes). We wisely chose the latter to force the timely outcome we got.

You guys can make it up and run with internet crackpot theories all you want, but I've actually played the game. You see, everybody reaches out to the spy agencies first, because in most countries in the world, the spies have more influence than the diplomats. Not exactly true in our system, but it is nearly everywhere else and cultural lenses are cultural lenses. So unless you're prepared to post documents out of national archives detailing the discussions between emissaries of Tojo and the Emperor making a formal offer of surrender, you're just pushing bilge out of your bunghole.

And there it is again, the all-consuming obsession with regime change.

I didn't say anything about unconditional surrender. I keep saying "negotiated" and you keep hearing "unconditional." It doesn't surprise me that you've been in the game. You're as deaf as your predecessors.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Porteroso said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

Of course there was.
Quote:

From paragraph 1:

I didn't say anything about unconditional surrender. I keep saying "negotiated" and you keep hearing "unconditional." It doesn't surprise me that you've been in the game. You're as deaf as your predecessors.
our terms were "unconditional." And we did get them. Regime change, too. That is the point of wars, you know.....regime change.
Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Porteroso said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

Of course there was.
Quote:

From paragraph 1:

our terms were "unconditional." And we did get them. Regime change, too. That is the point of wars, you know.....regime change.
Which brings us allllllllllll the way back to my original point. A negotiated surrender would have avoided the nuclear bombing but would not have secured our post-war hegemony in the way we desired.

And no, war is not about regime change.
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Porteroso said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

Of course there was.
Quote:

From paragraph 1:

Which brings us allllllllllll the way back to my original point. A negotiated surrender would have avoided the nuclear bombing but would not have secured our post-war hegemony in the way we desired.

LOL "we're going to build a 4 million man army, and a 600-ship navy, blast you into submission and occupy your country, but we'll let you continue to rule." I mean, seriously. Was the Afghan War about regime change? The Iraq War? The Russo-Ukraine War? (lol...."we hate your pro-EU policy so much we're going to invade, but we'll let you keep running the country after we get done destroying all your cities....") WWII wasn't about regime change? We were really going to let Tojo and Hitler continue to rule? Did any regimes survive loss WWI? Vietnam War, Korean War, etc.....were not about regime change? Villages in East Africa engage in ritual warfare, so obviously war does not involve regime change?

Your point was that the Japanese were ready to surrender but Truman unnecessarily dropped the bomb anyway. That is revisionist history. Actual history is this: Japan was refusing our demand for unconventional surrender, leaving us with two options: invade or drop the bomb. We wisely chose the latter, thereby saving millions of lives on both sides of the conflict. It had the desired effect. Japan did what it had thus far refused to do - offer unconditional surrender.

Sam Lowry
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Porteroso said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

Of course there was.
Quote:

From paragraph 1:

LOL "we're going to build a 4 million man army, and a 600-ship navy, blast you into submission and occupy your country, but we'll let you continue to rule." I mean, seriously. Was the Afghan War about regime change? The Iraq War? The Russo-Ukraine War? (lol...."we hate your pro-EU policy so much we're going to invade, but we'll let you keep running the country after we get done destroying all your cities....") WWII wasn't about regime change? We were really going to let Tojo and Hitler continue to rule? Did any regimes survive loss WWI? Vietnam War, Korean War, etc.....were not about regime change? Villages in East Africa engage in ritual warfare, so obviously war does not involve regime change?

Your point was that the Japanese were ready to surrender but Truman unnecessarily dropped the bomb anyway. That is revisionist history. Actual history is this: Japan was refusing our demand for unconventional surrender, leaving us with two options: invade or drop the bomb. We wisely chose the latter, thereby saving millions of lives on both sides of the conflict. It had the desired effect. Japan did what it had thus far refused to do - offer unconditional surrender.

Ironically we ended up doing just that. Not only was the bombing unnecessary, it didn't even remove the emperor from his throne.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

And you are pretending the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. Harris is no fool. She knows that the fund she encouraged Americans to contribute to was funding bail for people arrested during the "protests" And she knows many of those arrested were arrested for acts of violence and destruction.

One has to suspend logic to engage in the hair-splitting exercise you're engaged in.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Two different issues.
It's certainly understandable why you're trying desperately to split them.
Mothra
Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Two different issues.
No, they are literally tied directly together. Specific examples have been given, even by your link. Yet still all you've come up with, "nuh uh".
He knows. Just being his typical obtuse self. Admitting the obvious would require concession that his point is severely flawed.
Mothra
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

except that the protests had already turned into riots that overran & burned a police station, not to mention damaged/destroyed tens of millions of dollars of property, and that she was raising money to bail the rioters out of jail.

"Holy one-sentence context, Batman!"

Geez, dude.....
Ain't that the truth.
J.R.
back on topic relative to the Fox gaggle . Looks like ole Rupee getting hitched for the 5th time. One of Maria Bart's producers is suing fox as she was forced to go along with the Georgia charade . Nice.
Sam Lowry
They're only eligible if a judge says so. The fund is just removing money from the equation. If you were talking about J6 defendants, these distinctions would matter.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

They're only eligible if a judge says so. The fund is just removing money from the equation. If you were talking about J6 defendants, these distinctions would matter.
Doesn't change anything.
quash
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

Wangchung said:

Sam Lowry said:

She said that about protests not riots. I know you have trouble with that distinction.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Sam Lowry
Mothra said:

Sam Lowry said:

Doesn't change anything.
No, it doesn't. But if you were intellectually honest and consistent, it would.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.