On this day in history...

164,139 Views | 1896 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by LIB,MR BEARS
Bexar Pitts
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LIB,MR BEARS said:

2015: Twin Peaks "shootout".

Deserving of its own thread
I don't think there was a single felony conviction from that whole mess.
LIB,MR BEARS
Bexar Pitts said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

2015: Twin Peaks "shootout".

Deserving of its own thread
I don't think there was a single felony conviction from that whole mess.
not one. There is a separate thread for it
Jack Bauer
did they shut it down?
quash
Jack Bauer said:

did they shut it down?

Yes. And did not reelect the DA.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Jack Bauer
25 years ago - May 27, 1997 - Jarrell, TX

LIB,MR BEARS
Today is the 53rd anniversary of Apollo 11 landing on the moon. The following is from Eric Metaxes regarding the first few minutes they were on the moon's surface.

But what happened before Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong exited the Lunar Module is perhaps even more amazing. Some months after his return, he wrote about it in Guideposts Magazine. And a few years ago I had the privilege of meeting him myself. (See photo at the beginning of this email.) I asked him about it and he confirmed the story to me, and I wrote about in my book Everything You Always Wanted to Know About God (But Were Afraid to Ask).

The background to the story is that Aldrin was an elder at his Presbyterian Church in Texas during this period in his life, and knowing that he would soon be doing something unprecedented in human history, he felt he should mark the occasion somehow, and he asked his pastor to help him. And so the pastor consecrated a communion wafer and a small vial of communion wine. And Buzz Aldrin took them with him out of the Earth's orbit and on to the surface of the moon.

He and Armstrong had only been on the lunar surface for a few minutes when Aldrin made the following public statement: "This is the LM pilot. I'd like to take this opportunity to ask every person listening in, whoever and wherever they may be, to pause for a moment and contemplate the events of the past few hours and to give thanks in his or her own way." He then ended radio communication and there, on the silent surface of the moon, 250,000 miles from home, he read a verse from the Gospel of John, and he took communion. Here is his own account of what happened:

"In the radio blackout, I opened the little plastic packages which contained the bread and the wine. I poured the wine into the chalice our church had given me. In the one-sixth gravity of the moon, the wine slowly curled and gracefully came up the side of the cup. Then I read the Scripture, 'I am the vine, you are the branches. Whosoever abides in me will bring forth much fruit. Apart from me you can do nothing.' I had intended to read my communion passage back to earth, but at the last minute [they] had requested that I not do this. NASA was already embroiled in a legal battle with Madelyn Murray O'Hare, the celebrated opponent of religion, over the Apollo 8 crew reading from Genesis while orbiting the moon at Christmas. I agreed reluctantly.I ate the tiny Host and swallowed the wine. I gave thanks for the intelligence and spirit that had brought two young pilots to the Sea of Tranquility. It was interesting for me to think: the very first liquid ever poured on the moon, and the very first food eaten there, were the communion elements."

And of course, it's interesting to think that some of the first words spoken on the moon were the words of Jesus Christ, who made the Earth and the moon and Who, in the immortal words of Dante, is Himself the "Love that moves the Sun and other stars."
quash
New York dedicates 750 acres in Manhattan for Central Park. 1853
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Jack Bauer
25 years ago - August 31, 1997:
Death of Princess Diana

LIB,MR BEARS
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1827013614261886/permalink/2968695810093655/
Jack Bauer
Jack Bauer
saabing bear
Classic Coselle to try to make a tragic event even more dramatic.

"Dead...on...arrival!"
Jack Bauer
Jack Bauer
50 years ago today. RIP Franco Harris.

Jack Bauer
Jack Bauer
LIB,MR BEARS
Pat Nunley was the man!!!

LIB,MR BEARS
1975 Amie hits the Top 100
whitetrash
LIB,MR BEARS said:

1975 Amie hits the Top 100
Worth watching just to see Vince Gill with more hair and beard than Jerry Garcia.
quash
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Pat Nunley was the man!!!

Pat looked slow to me from the stands. One day in Russell we were on opposite teams and I quickly said I'd guard him.

I was intramural fast.
Jack Bauer
"Beware the Ides of March"

Redbrickbear
Jack Bauer said:

"Beware the Ides of March"

A lot of cool artistic representations about that.

Golem
18 March 1766: The British Parliament repealed the Stamp Act of 1765 after violent protests from American colonists, including a group known as the Sons of Liberty.

Democrats today would call those protests a genocide or something equally absurd.
quash
Golem said:

18 March 1766: The British Parliament repealed the Stamp Act of 1765 after violent protests from American colonists, including a group known as the Sons of Liberty.

Democrats today would call those protests a genocide or something equally absurd.

Riots. Cultural depravity. Thuggish behavior.
-Golem
LIB,MR BEARS
quash said:

Golem said:

-Golem

mostly peaceful
quash
LIB,MR BEARS said:

quash said:

Golem said:

-Golem

mostly peaceful

Google mostly.
Jack Bauer
Jack Bauer
30 years ago!! 4/19/1993

Oldbear83
quash said:

LIB,MR BEARS said:

quash said:

Golem said:

-Golem

mostly peaceful

Google mostly.

A bit extreme to blame Google.
LIB,MR BEARS
Zero convictions

https://www.kwtx.com/app/2023/05/17/twin-peaks-shooting-look-back-event-8-years-later/
El Oso
1536: Anne Boleyn beheaded
1789: @noon, New England goes dark with no explanation
1863: Grant's first assault at Vicksburg repulsed
1925: Malcolm X born

quash
LIB,MR BEARS said:

Zero convictions

https://www.kwtx.com/app/2023/05/17/twin-peaks-shooting-look-back-event-8-years-later/

When you arrest that many people...
Jack Bauer
August 1, 1981.

I want my MTV!

whitetrash
Two other events that occurred on August 1:

57 years ago:

50 years ago, the Chicken Ranch closed forever:

https://abc13.com/marvin-zindler-chicken-ranch-best-little-*****house-in-texas-la-grange/13578568/

Jack Bauer
August 2, 1990 - Saddam Hussein invades Kuwait

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.