Beto

97,472 Views | 957 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Golem
BaylorBJM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does he win in November?

I say he has a chance.
80sBEAR
BaylorBJM said:

Does he win in November?

I say he has a chance.
I don't think so. I think he will be too distracted with his soccer career.

"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland
quash
BaylorBJM said:

Does he win in November?

I say he has a chance.

Doesn't have the war chest to win.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Mitch Blood Green
There's a chance. Depends on unknown factors b
BaylorBJM
quash said:

BaylorBJM said:

Does he win in November?

I say he has a chance.

Doesn't have the war chest to win.
It will certainly be an issue but I think the hatred so many have for Cruz's positions offset a lot of the money concerns.
ABC BEAR
Loser 65%-35%
BaylorBJM
Paging Floriduh
https://www.texastribune.org/2018/04/18/new-poll-finds-race-between-ted-cruz-and-beto-orourke-too-close-call/
cinque
BaylorBJM said:

Does he win in November?

I say he has a chance.
It doesn't take much to win a statewide race in Texas. Raphael won with less than a million votes. If Beto energizes the Democratic constituencies at all, he could very well win.
Justin Kates
N. O. P. E.
-Justin Kates
HuMcK
I read today that O'Rourke has a 2:1 favorability ratio at 30% to 16%, but a whopping 53% still undecided. The same polling showed Trump's approval in Texas underwater too, so if he jumps in the race he could be a drag on Cruz. If that 3pt margin between Cruz and O'Rourke is even close to correct, things could get interesting. I still think O'Rourke's stance on guns (I think he supports an awb?) would be a big negative in any Texas election.
Ludwig von Missi
Beto says some things I like, but not nearly enough. I'm probably either not voting or voting for Dikeman.

Cruz sucks.
Mitch Blood Green
BaylorBJM said:

Does he win in November?

I say he has a chance.

He has a chance. He's gotta run a hell of a race and be on point. He might get some help from the White House.
JXL
He'll work well together with Gov. Wendy Davis, the last Democrat whom the national news media told us would turn Texas blue.
fadskier
As a leaning Republican, I'll vote for him.
Doc Holliday
No. Texans don't want to turn Texas into California.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
PartyBear
At a minimum a purple Texas is coming and it may even go blue from there. The question is when not if. Trump's blue wave may accelerate that somewhat who knows? Democrats have not polled this well in state wide races since early 90s though. The Gubernatorial race is even pretty close with either candidate in the run off as the nominee.
fadskier
The Republican attack on public education has swayed me to become a education voter. Whichever candidate supports public education the most, that's who I vote for.
Doc Holliday
fadskier said:

The Republican attack on public education has swayed me to become a education voter. Whichever candidate supports public education the most, that's who I vote for.
There's inadvertent ways to attack education that are far more damaging than lack of budgets.
Welfare and single parent homes being one of them which is vital to Democrats.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
fadskier
Doc Holliday said:

fadskier said:

There's inadvertent ways to attack education that are far more damaging than lack of budgets.
Welfare and single parent homes being one of them which is vital to Democrats.
The current attack is to lessen funding and short change current teachers (and retirees) on their health care and retirement. It's taken alot to make me vote Democrat in Texas...Dan Patrick has succeeded in that aspect.
HuMcK

PartyBear
It seems that nationwide meaning in every region the public's view on the legalization of marijuana has shifted almost as dramatically and quickly as the public's views on gay rights.
HuMcK
Osodecentx
fadskier said:

Me too
quash
Osodecentx said:

fadskier said:

Me too

If I weren't voting for Dikeman.
Still want Cruz on SCOTUS, I think he'd be a fascinating justice
Mothra
cinque said:

BaylorBJM said:

Does he win in November?

I say he has a chance.
It doesn't take much to win a statewide race in Texas. Raphael won with less than a million votes. If Robert O'Rourke energizes the Democratic constituencies at all, he could very well win.
Fixed it for you.
Mothra
PartyBear said:

At a minimum a purple Texas is coming and it may even go blue from there. The question is when not if. Trump's blue wave may accelerate that somewhat who knows? Democrats have not polled this well in state wide races since early 90s though. The Gubernatorial race is even pretty close with either candidate in the run off as the nominee.
Yeah, yeah, and CMR will get fired after going 1-11.

You might need to temper your predictions a bit.
PartyBear
You really do not think Texas is growing and changing Mothra? I think it is objective fact that it is and a political miscalculation to be in denial about those facts.
Mothra
PartyBear said:

You really do not think Texas is growing and changing Mothra? I think it is objective fact that it is and a political miscalculation to be in denial about those facts.
Of course. Doesn't mean it's going to turn blue, nor that same will happen soon. It's gotten redder if anything since the 90's.

People have been saying what you're saying for years. I remember such comments back in 2008. And here we still are.
Waco1947
Dems had better vote. Beto better run on policies that matter to rural Texans and on education (K thru college thru vocational) and infrastructure
Waco1947
Hating Trump and Cruz is not enough. They 40% or more locked up for up for Cruz because of our hate. It has to be Policy that wins.
PartyBear
Actually it hasnt gotten redder Mothra. The parties finally aligned themselves along the red/blue dichotomy in the 90s. You formerly had very red voters who still called themselves Democrats and very red candidates running as Democrats and being elected across the state. I would say as recently as in the 80s for example even though the party affiliation of most folks in Texas was Democrat that the ratio between actual blue voters and red voters in the state was about 80 red/20 blue. That ratio now is approximately 55/45. This trend will only continue. In fact if the state currently was just every Texas county with a population of 200K or more. Texas would already be a more blue shade of purple. As all those counties as a whole have gone with the Democratic nominee for POTUS for 3 straight elections. Eventually the urban/suburban vote will overwhelm and knock down the red rural wall of far east Texas and west Texas.
cinque
Texas, despite its penchant for voting red, is now a minority majority state. That reality has not been politically impactful because Texas leads the nation in low voter participation. Should that change, Republicans as a ruling party in Texax are in trouble.
twd74
quash said:

Osodecentx said:

fadskier said:

Me too

If I weren't voting for Dikeman.
Still want Cruz on SCOTUS, I think he'd be a fascinating justice
The only argument that would prevail on Republican Senators would be putting Cruz on the SC gets him out of the Senate.
Mothra
PartyBear said:

Actually it hasnt gotten redder Mothra. The parties finally aligned themselves along the red/blue dichotomy in the 90s. You formerly had very red voters who still called themselves Democrats and very red candidates running as Democrats and being elected across the state. I would say as recently as in the 80s for example even though the party affiliation of most folks in Texas was Democrat that the ratio between actual blue voters and red voters in the state was about 80 red/20 blue. That ratio now is approximately 55/45. This trend will only continue. In fact if the state currently was just every Texas county with a population of 200K or more. Texas would already be a more blue shade of purple. As all those counties as a whole have gone with the Democratic nominee for POTUS for 3 straight elections. Eventually the urban/suburban vote will overwhelm and knock down the red rural wall of far east Texas and west Texas.
Disagree with your numbers. The chance of a Dem being elected to a high political office today are not nearly as good as it was in the 80's.
CSIBear
cinque said:

Texas, despite its penchant for voting red, is now a minority majority state. That reality has not been politically impactful because Texas leads the nation in low voter participation. Should that change, Republicans as a ruling party in Texax are in trouble.
Why is this? Are dems the only ones not voting? Where are your sources?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.