Beto

98,326 Views | 957 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Golem
Loaded4Bear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cinque said:

YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

Loaded4Bear said:

cinque said:

Loaded4Bear said:

cinque said:

DBeto has 4 hosted packed town halls in Lubbock and has opened a field office there. No Democrats has done that in 50 years. Theres a reason Raphael has countered with a 5 debate proposal. He's far from his usual smug self...for good reason.
4 packed town halls in Lubbock for Beto? I call bull***** Unless he was giving away cash and free barbecue.
Lubbock is ground zero for Bumpkin Trumpkins. If Beto is resonating there, he could very well win.
Once again, you seem to even have difficulty even comprehending the concept of gravity. People in Lubbock, Texas don't want anyone to represent them that wants to ban guns and have open borders. You need to trust me on this. Beto may win his home county but not sure if he will win any others. Cruz is going to WAFFLESTOMP Beto. (For the record, like Trump, I believe Cruz is an *******. )
At a bare minimum, Beto will will win every urban area in Texas with the possible exception of Tarrant County.

That's not news. Those are blue islands in a sea of red. Won't matter though.
Those blue islands are where the people are. The Red Sea is mostly cattle.
"Blue(big city) = people and Red(suburbs and rural) = cattle"? Very nice. This sums things up pretty well. You people just keep spreading this message. PLEASE keep doing what you're doing and don't change a thing. Joe Biden and Elizabeth Warren are the bomb!
"It it ain't broke, get a bigger hammer!"
Sam Lowry
Osodecentx said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

fadskier said:

As a leaning Republican, I'll vote for him.
Me too
That surprises me. Why?
Cruz is not serious. He makes gratuitous speeches to low information voters who also believed Trump when he said that he would balance the budget and retire the national debt in 8 years. Really?

How stupid and credulous are these people?

Trump isn't conservative. He isn't truthful. And cruz is reading this playbook.

I'm leaning Beto because he is no less credible than Cruz.

Go read Green Eggs and Ham on the senate floor. He can't pass gas in the US Senate
A lot of people thought his gratuitous speeches about Obamacare would kill the GOP for good. I thought he'd win us back the Senate in 2014...so here we are. He was serious, and he knew what he was doing. And I sure don't want Beto voting on Trump's court nominees.
cinque
Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

fadskier said:

As a leaning Republican, I'll vote for him.
Me too
That surprises me. Why?
Cruz is not serious. He makes gratuitous speeches to low information voters who also believed Trump when he said that he would balance the budget and retire the national debt in 8 years. Really?

How stupid and credulous are these people?

Trump isn't conservative. He isn't truthful. And cruz is reading this playbook.

I'm leaning Beto because he is no less credible than Cruz.

Go read Green Eggs and Ham on the senate floor. He can't pass gas in the US Senate
A lot of people thought his gratuitous speeches about Obamacare would kill the GOP for good. I thought he'd win us back the Senate in 2014...so here we are. He was serious, and he knew what he was doing. And I sure don't want Beto voting on Trump's court nominees.
How did Cruz win you back the Senate?
Make Racism Wrong Again
YoakDaddy
cinque said:

YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

Loaded4Bear said:

cinque said:

Loaded4Bear said:

cinque said:

DBeto has 4 hosted packed town halls in Lubbock and has opened a field office there. No Democrats has done that in 50 years. Theres a reason Raphael has countered with a 5 debate proposal. He's far from his usual smug self...for good reason.
4 packed town halls in Lubbock for Beto? I call bull***** Unless he was giving away cash and free barbecue.
Lubbock is ground zero for Bumpkin Trumpkins. If Beto is resonating there, he could very well win.
Once again, you seem to even have difficulty even comprehending the concept of gravity. People in Lubbock, Texas don't want anyone to represent them that wants to ban guns and have open borders. You need to trust me on this. Beto may win his home county but not sure if he will win any others. Cruz is going to WAFFLESTOMP Beto. (For the record, like Trump, I believe Cruz is an *******. )
At a bare minimum, Beto will will win every urban area in Texas with the possible exception of Tarrant County.

But the actual voters are in the suburbs and populated red counties surrounding those blue island counties. Cattle/oil counties, while less populous, are definite red; that's not news. Also, El Paso, while technically Texas, is very far removed from the rest of Texas which is why, historically, there have been very few elected on a statewide ballot from out there; folks in East/Central/North Texas don't identify with them (South Texas does due to high Hispanic population) and there's no simple name recognition. Even Wendy Davis, who was supposed to identify with suburban moms, was going to bring out the female vote on a statewide ballot. Davis failed on the demographic and average Texans not identifying with the state democratic party. Beto will fail on average Texans not identifying with democratic party and him being from El Paso. I just can't see it.
JusHappy2BeHere
Loaded4Bear said:

cinque said:

YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

Loaded4Bear said:

cinque said:

Loaded4Bear said:

cinque said:

"Blue(big city) = people and Red(suburbs and rural) = cattle"? Very nice. This sums things up pretty well. You people just keep spreading this message. PLEASE keep doing what you're doing and don't change a thing. Joe Biden and Elizabeth Warren are the bomb!
suburbs will tell the tale.... you seem awfully confident in them... but college educated women are looking very blue and college educated men are an even split to slightly blue....

I don't think he was calling the people cattle.... he was making the point that a large part of the red on the US map from 2016 are in places where cattle out number people.

American people are center left.... Those that live in rural areas and have never actually met a Muslim or a gay human being are the ruling minority.... because a vote in Wyoming is 3.62 times more important than a vote in LA.

it's the system we have, but it won't help you in the midterms....

Now, while I think Beto is way over-performing, he won't win... but comparing him to Ocasio-Cortez is just ignorant
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
cinque
Collin County has a median family income of 95,000, and Hillary received 40% of the vote in 2016. It's getting bluer by the moment with the influx of liberal Californians. She'd get 50% today easily.
Make Racism Wrong Again
PartyBear
Yoak those urban suburbs around the blue urban areas are starting to trend blue as well though. I'm even surprised that in smaller urban areas and suburban areas like Waco for example, that even Woodway/Hewitt are not as deep red as they historically were. Granted those two are still red but nearly not as red. If that trend is happening here, it is even more pronounced in the suburbs of the major urban areas.
CSIBear
JusHappy2BeHere said:

Loaded4Bear said:

cinque said:

YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

Loaded4Bear said:

cinque said:

Loaded4Bear said:

cinque said:

suburbs will tell the tale.... you seem awfully confident in them... but college educated women are looking very blue and college educated men are an even split to slightly blue....

I don't think he was calling the people cattle.... he was making the point that a large part of the red on the US map from 2016 are in places where cattle out number people.

American people are center left.... Those that live in rural areas and have never actually met a Muslim or a gay human being are the ruling minority.... because a vote in Wyoming is 3.62 times more important than a vote in LA.

Now, while I think Beto is way over-performing, he won't win... but comparing him to Ocasio-Cortez is just ignorant
This is exactly why Windy Davis is our governor right now!

You must have been drunk when you wrote this. America is not center-left. Texas especially isn't center-left. Meeting a muslim or gay person has no barring on how a person votes or anything else for that matter. This whole post is just uneducated mental diarrhea.
PartyBear
The American people are center left. That poster was talking about suburbsparticularly the affluent ones trending blue which is true as well.
CSIBear
No, that is not true. If anything they are center-right.
JusHappy2BeHere
CSIBear said:

JusHappy2BeHere said:

Loaded4Bear said:

cinque said:

YoakDaddy said:

cinque said:

Loaded4Bear said:

cinque said:

Loaded4Bear said:

cinque said:

This is exactly why Windy Davis is our governor right now!

You must have been drunk when you wrote this. America is not center-left. Texas especially isn't center-left. Meeting a muslim or gay person has no barring on how a person votes or anything else for that matter. This whole post is just uneducated mental diarrhea.
I'm not sure if you are brain damaged from a stroke or just really bad at math
"When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it--always."

Mahatma Gandhi
Waco1947
CSIBear said:

No, that is not true. If anything they are center-right.
I don't think we are center left or right. We electorate are by policy - is it good or bad for me. Most people are not ideological driven.
NYT
"In truth, the Republican Party's dominance has little to do with the American electorate's "center-right" ideology. We know this for two simple reasons: First, the vast majority of that electorate has no ideology, whatsoever. And second, when polled on discrete policy questions, Americans consistently express majoritarian support for a left-of-center economic agenda.

The political scientist Philip Converse first brought the first reality to national attention in 1964. In his classic essay "The Nature of Belief Systems in Mass Publics," Mr. Converse demonstrated that only 17 percent of American voters could both correctly assign the terms "liberal" and "conservative" to the nation's two major political parties and offer a sensible description of what those terms meant. The rest of the electorate did not understand politics as a fight over abstract theories of good government but rather a conflict between interest groups. Ordinary voters did not select the party that most faithfully represented their political philosophy they picked the one that appeared to best represent their people, a group they might define with reference to class, region, religion, race or partisanship itself.

You have 4 free articles remaining.
Subscribe to The Times
This make intuitive sense: The left-to-right political spectrum is a construct born of seating arrangements during the French Revolution. The impulse to define oneself in relation to an in-group and opposition to an out-group is a survival strategy that's been with us since the dawn of our species.

And in their recent book "Neither Liberal Nor Conservative: Ideological Innocence in the American Public," the political scientists Donald Kinder and Nathan Kalmoe show that the electorate is scarcely more ideological today, at the peak of partisan polarization, than it was at the height of the New Deal consensus (when Mr. Converse published his landmark study).
ADVERTISEMENT
Thus, while it's true that fewer Americans self-identify as liberal than as moderate or conservative, this tells us almost nothing about voters' policy views. "Moderates" do not actually display a preference for "centrist" positions, but merely for ideologically inconsistent ones. In fact, the Stanford political scientist David Broockman has shown that moderates are just as likely to subscribe to "extreme" policy positions as other voters are: In the United States, there are self-identified "moderates" who support a $1 million maximum income, prohibiting gays and lesbians from teaching public school and the mass deportation of all undocumented immigrants.

Meanwhile, the number of genuine "liberals" and "conservatives" is far smaller than meets the eye. Most voters who identify with those terms are partisans first, and ideologues second. Or as Mr. Kinder and Mr. Kalmoe conclude an analysis of four decades of voter survey data, "ideological identification seems more a reflection of political decisions than a cause." In other words: The average conservative Republican isn't a Republican because she's a conservative she self-identifies as a conservative because she's a Republican.

One crucial implication of this finding is that political elites have enormous power to dictate ideological terms to their rank-and-file supporters. For a healthy chunk of conservative Republicans and liberal Democrats, the "liberal" and "conservative" position on most issues is whatever their party leaders say it is. Donald Trump's success at redefining conservative voters' consensus views on free trade, American policy toward Russia and the relevance of personal morality to effective political leadership offers a particularly vivid illustration of this phenomenon.

ADVERTISEMENT
When we look past ideological self-identification to polling on discrete public policy questions, America appears to be far more center-left than center-right. In a recent analysis of Democracy Fund Voter Study Group survey data, the political scientist Lee Drutman found that 73.5 percent of the 2016 electorate espoused broadly left-of-center views on economic policy.

That finding is supported by polling on individual fiscal issues over the past year. Recent surveys have shown that most Americans including majorities of Republican voters support increasing federal financing of health care and oppose cutting taxes for the wealthy. And there's little evidence that the Democrats' left flank is exhausting the public's tolerance for government intervention in the economy: Recent polls have found that over 60 percent of Americans support tuition-free public college (a majority that includes 58 percent of independents and 47 percent of Republicans); that over 60 percent of all voters favor Medicaid and Medicare buy-in programs, while a slim majority likes the sound of single-payer; and that 82 percent of voters, including 70 percent of Republicans, support new legislation expanding access to paid family and medical leave.

The Democratic Party has failed to translate the popularity of progressive economics into electoral success for a variety of reasons. The most fundamental is the one we've already observed: Most voters cast their ballots on the basis of identity, not policy. And America's rapidly changing demographics and the right's steadfast efforts to inflame and exploit anxieties about those changes have made racial identity increasingly salient to white voters, particularly rural ones. This development, combined with the disproportionate influence that our political system awards to white rural voters, has given Republicans a structural advantage.

Democrats have all kinds of ways of addressing this problem. One would be to cultivate the class identity of white voters by embracing populist rhetoric that paints "the billionaire class" as an out-group they can define themselves against. Another would be to invest more resources into registering nonwhite voters. According to the Census Bureau, 74 percent of non-Hispanic whites are registered to vote in the United States. For African-Americans, that figure is 69 percent; for Hispanics, 57; and for Asian-Americans, 56. As the policy analyst Sean McElwee has noted, this means that even if every registered Latino voter in America went to the polls last November, Latinos' overall turnout rate still would have been lower than it was for whites (63 percent).

Embracing a more conservative economic agenda, however, would solve none of the Democrats' problems. At a time of historic inequality, rampant corporate consolidation and environmental crisis, the case for more robust redistributive social programs and public-interest regulations is strong. When centrist Democrats claim that making such a case is electoral suicide, they reveal less about the American public's stubbornly center-right convictions than about their own.
Eric Levitz (@EricLevitz) is a political columnist at New York magazine's

A version of this article appears in print on Nov. 1, 2017, on Page A27 of the New York edition with the headline: America Is Not 'Center-Right'. Order Reprints | Today's
HuMcK
Waco1947
Beto tells it like it is. Does not sound like a politician.
quash
Waco1947 said:

Like Trump?
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Doc Holliday
Hey Democrats...if Texas turns blue, what makes you think we won't end up in the horrible shape that California is in?
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
Forest Bueller
Waco1947 said:

I'll have to take the time to listen to him, he looks like the ultimate slick politician.

But, have never listened to a speech of his, so that could be interesting.
YoakDaddy
Doc Holliday said:

Hey Democrats...if Texas turns blue, what makes you think we won't end up in the horrible shape that California is in?

Won't bother them. They love how Cali is currently.
cinque
YoakDaddy said:

Doc Holliday said:

G Hey Democrats...if Texas turns blue, what makes you think we won't end up in the horrible shape that California is in?

Cali currently has one of the largest, most robust economies in the world, a 9 billion dollar surplus and the best university system in the world.

https://www.sacbee.com/opinion/california-forum/article213927219.html
Make Racism Wrong Again
Doc Holliday
cinque said:

YoakDaddy said:

Doc Holliday said:

G Hey Democrats...if Texas turns blue, what makes you think we won't end up in the horrible shape that California is in?

Cali currently has one of the largest, most robust economies in the world, a 9 billion dollar surplus and the best university system in the world.
Also home to the nation's highest homelessness rate and the nation's highest homeless population.

The most expensive housing market in the US. The middle class is already being priced out of being able to afford homes because of massive regulations. The median home value in California is $500,200, compared to $167,100 in Texas.

**** on the streets. Radical Marxist leftists at every university.

It sounds like your paradise.

If it's so good, then why are people are moving out of Cali like crazy?
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
cinque
Doc Holliday said:

cinque said:

YoakDaddy said:

Doc Holliday said:

Also home to the nation's highest homelessness rate and the nation's highest homeless population.

The most expensive housing market in the US. The middle class is already being priced out of being able to afford homes because of massive regulations. The median home value in California is $500,200, compared to $167,100 in Texas.

**** on the streets. Radical Marxist leftists at every university.

It sounds like your paradise.

If it's so good, then why are people are moving out of Cali like crazy?
Chuckle. Sounds like your version of Oak Cliff
Make Racism Wrong Again
jimdue
HuMcK said:

Ted is one of the flat out most unlikeable candidates on the national stage which includes people like me who mostly agrees with him on issues. I will vote for Ted without reservation over Beto. But, he is definitely not the type of guy I would want to have beer with so we can talk about college football or get his insight about a good show he might have discovered on Netflix. And even though my politics are a complete 180 from Beto, I would rather have a beer with Beto than Ted (as long as we did not talk about politics). No one is going to be quick to tell a pollster that they are going to vote for Ted. However, this is still a solid GOP state. Ted will out perform whatever the final poll numbers before the November election. You can go to the bank on that.
Doc Holliday
The great state of Texas won't elect an open borders clown that thinks kneeling for the anthem is what America is all about.

Better to freak out than to get complacent. Even if Texas were being complacent, those polls showing "4 points" need some scrutiny to see if those pollsters are oversampling and generally lying like they did for Hillary.
quash
Forest Bueller said:

Waco1947 said:

I'll have to take the time to listen to him, he looks like the ultimate slick politician.

But, have never listened to a speech of his, so that could be interesting.

Not familiar with his stump speech but he fielded a question from a vet about NFL protests. His answer was well thought out. I saw it on youTube or FB.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
cinque
Doc Holliday said:

The great state of Texas won't elect an open borders clown that thinks kneeling for the anthem is what America is all about.

Better to freak out than to get complacent. Even if Texas were being complacent, those polls showing "4 points" need some scrutiny to see if those pollsters are oversampling and generally lying like they did for Hillary.
The polls were accurate. Three million more people voted for her than for Fat Nixon.
Make Racism Wrong Again
TexasScientist
The pendulum is beginning to swing in the opposite direction in Texas, but it won't happen in this election. Beto is too far to the left for Texas right now. If he were more centrist, he would have a much better chance.
Doc Holliday
Florda_mike
Doc Holliday said:

Sounds like Elizabeth Warren clone!?
Doc Holliday
Florda_mike said:

Doc Holliday said:

Sounds like Elizabeth Warren clone!?
CSIBear
Doc Holliday said:

This. It sucks there isn't a great independent choice to vote for against Cruz but I will certainly not be voting for beto.
cinque
CSIBear said:

Doc Holliday said:

This. It sucks there isn't a great independent choice to vote for against Cruz but I will certainly not be voting for beto.
Why? You voted for Fat Nixon.
Make Racism Wrong Again
riflebear
quash
Doc Holliday said:

What does this tell you about his policy positions?
RioRata

ABC BEAR
Doc Holliday said:

With a spreadsheet like that it's no wonder he's been compared to the Kennedy's. I doubt that he would have appropriated the nickname 'Beto' if his last name were O'Toole.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.