Beto

98,341 Views | 957 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Golem
Iron Claw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cinque said:

Texas, despite its penchant for voting red, is now a minority majority state. That reality has not been politically impactful because Texas leads the nation in low voter participation. Should that change, Republicans as a ruling party in Texax are in trouble.

Is it a given that minorities only vote democrat and the only reason Texas is still red is that said minorities are not voting?
FKA tri it
cinque
Iron Claw said:

cinque said:

Texas, despite its penchant for voting red, is now a minority majority state. That reality has not been politically impactful because Texas leads the nation in low voter participation. Should that change, Republicans as a ruling party in Texax are in trouble.

Is it a given that minorities only vote democrat and the only reason Texas is still red is that said minorities are not voting?
That's what the data say.
PartyBear
Mothra said:

PartyBear said:

Actually it hasnt gotten redder Mothra. The parties finally aligned themselves along the red/blue dichotomy in the 90s. You formerly had very red voters who still called themselves Democrats and very red candidates running as Democrats and being elected across the state. I would say as recently as in the 80s for example even though the party affiliation of most folks in Texas was Democrat that the ratio between actual blue voters and red voters in the state was about 80 red/20 blue. That ratio now is approximately 55/45. This trend will only continue. In fact if the state currently was just every Texas county with a population of 200K or more. Texas would already be a more blue shade of purple. As all those counties as a whole have gone with the Democratic nominee for POTUS for 3 straight elections. Eventually the urban/suburban vote will overwhelm and knock down the red rural wall of far east Texas and west Texas.
Disagree with your numbers. The chance of a Dem being elected to a high political office today are not nearly as good as it was in the 80's.
You are still thinking in terms of political ID. I'm talking about blue voters and red voters. Again in the 80s red candidates ran as Democrats just like red candidates have been running and winning since the mid 90s as Republicans. But the blue share of the vote in the state is growing.
Waco1947
Voting Beto/
1) Blacks.
2). Women who believe in the right to make their health choices as a child of God
3). Hispanics who are tired of the demonizing and tearing families apart
4) Educators / teachers and school personnel, contractors who build schools, text book writers and sellers, parents of children
5). University educators
6). Educated whites
7). Unions
8). Anyone in need of affordable medical and health services
9) Corporations Who need an an educated work force and immigrant workers.
10) Young adults
The trick is registering, overcoming voter registration suppression, ideas to motivate. Standing for something not simply "simply against Trump".
Tall orders but possible. ,
Osodecentx
Waco1947 said:

Voting Beto/White
1) Blacks.
2). Women who believe in the right to make their health choices as a child of God
4) Educators / teachers and school personnel, contractors who build schools, text book writers and sellers, parents of children
5). University educators
6). Educated whites
7). Unions
The trick is registering, overcoming voter registration suppression, ideas to motivate. Standing for something not simply "simply against Trump".
Does "Beto/White" mean you believe Lupe will lose the runoff?
Waco1947
Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

Voting Beto/White
1) Blacks.
5). University educators
6). Educated whites
7). Unions
probably
syme
Waco1947 said:

Voting Beto/White
1) Blacks.
5). University educators
6). Educated whites
7). Unions
10) Young adults

Really, we're going with the "deplorable republicans" strategy again?

?w=351&h=263
Doc Holliday
You're a moron if you think O'Rourke stands a chance...or is a good candidate.

There are two ways to guarantee you'll lose a statewide election in Texas: campaign for abortion or campaign against guns. Which he publicly states he's in favor of banning AR-15's.

Texas Democrats accomplished the first in 2014, when Wendy Davis lost the governor's race to Greg Abbott by 20 points. Now they're determined to do the second.

Going by sheer numbers, Cruz got twice as many votes in the primary as O'Rourke.

And 47, you claim to be a Christian but endorse murdering babies?
Osodecentx
Waco1947 said:

Osodecentx said:

Waco1947 said:

Voting Beto/White
1) Blacks.
5). University educators
6). Educated whites
7). Unions
probably
What about disaffected Republicans? I know several that plan to vote for Beto because he isn't Cruz

While we're here, I note that White 'personally' opposes abortion. I think not flouting abortion credentials softens the Democrat abortion industry's "screw you" to those of us who oppose abortion. I think it makes him more electable
HuMcK
Doc Holliday said:

There are two ways to guarantee you'll lose a statewide election in Texas: campaign for abortion or campaign against guns. Which he publicly states he's in favor of banning AR-15's.

Texas Democrats accomplished the first in 2014, when Wendy Davis lost the governor's race to Greg Abbott by 20 points. Now they're determined to do the second.

Going by sheer numbers, Cruz got twice as many votes in the primary as O'Rourke.

I think this is right, especially the guns aspect. Banning guns is a political loser in Texas, no matter what the demographics are, and if Cruz can successfully make the race all about those issues he'll cruise to victory.
Osodecentx
HuMcK said:

Doc Holliday said:

I think this is right, especially the guns aspect. Banning guns is a political loser in Texas, no matter what the demographics are, and if Cruz can successfully make the race all about those issues he'll cruise to victory.
I agree that Cruz will win
Waco1947
syme said:

Waco1947 said:

Voting Beto/White
1) Blacks.
5). University educators
6). Educated whites
7). Unions
10) Young adults

Really, we're going with the "deplorable republicans" strategy again?

?w=351&h=263

Wrong conclusion. You made it up. I laid out our voting blocks and it has nothing to do with deplorables. In fact the use of the word empowers deplorables.
Moondoggie
quash said:

BaylorBJM said:

Does he win in November?

I say he has a chance.

Doesn't have the war chest to win.

Surprisingly, I hear the converse is the case. He got da mullah
HuMcK
Cruz leading O'Rourke 50-39 in the new Quinnipiac poll. He even leads among Hispanics by 2pts. Trump also up to 50-50 approval in Texas. Abbot leading 53-34, so that race is probably decided
HuMcK
Doc Holliday
I can't believe you people that would vote for higher taxes when you know for a fact that our government spends way more money than it takes in. Wrecklessly.

Democrats = Business killers.

You people need to stop looking to government to help people and start doing it yourself. You're coming from a place of full authority and control...that leads to VERY bad things.

How can you possibly not see this?

Do you want to be California?

I would laugh at you, but I feel sorry for your stupidity.
And you're going to get crushed in midterms and you can't handle it. I garuntee you'll blame Russians instead of realizing Americans are waking up and see just how f***** stupid you really are.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
cowboycwr
Beto lost a lot of people when he sent out mass spam text messages to cell phones. Even after people have asked to be removed.
fadskier
Waco1947 said:

Voting Beto/White
1) Blacks.
5). University educators
6). Educated whites
7). Unions
10) Young adults
You lost me on the stupidity on #2, #6, and #9...but then you curse Jesus so...
Sam Lowry
JXL said:

He'll work well together with Gov. Wendy Davis, the last Democrat whom the national news media told us would turn Texas blue.
LOL
Sam Lowry
Osodecentx said:

fadskier said:

As a leaning Republican, I'll vote for him.
Me too
That surprises me. Why?
fadskier
Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

fadskier said:

Me too
That surprises me. Why?
Im pro public education...but Beto is so far left, Cruz is going to be my only option...like the last presidential election.
midgett
cowboycwr said:

Beto lost a lot of people when he sent out mass spam text messages to cell phones. Even after people have asked to be removed.
I got a phone call on my cell. I blocked the number.

DO NOT call my cell to solicit me. That's why I have a home number we never answer (or check messages).
Osodecentx
Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

fadskier said:

Me too
That surprises me. Why?
Cruz is not serious. He makes gratuitous speeches to low information voters who also believed Trump when he said that he would balance the budget and retire the national debt in 8 years. Really?

How stupid and credulous are these people?

Trump isn't conservative. He isn't truthful. And cruz is reading this playbook.

I'm leaning Beto because he is no less credible than Cruz.

Go read Green Eggs and Ham on the senate floor. He can't pass gas in the US Senate
4th and Inches
cinque said:

Iron Claw said:

cinque said:

That's what the data say.
does your data account for all the red that doesnt vote because it is a known conclusion without them... there is a large number of them
TexasScientist
Beto's politics are too far to the left for him to appeal to enough people across Texas to take down an incumbent. I'm not a Cruz fan, but the reality is Beto is too extreme for mainline Texans. If he were more to the center he would have a chance. The pendulum hasn't swung that far yet.
Doc Holliday
TexasScientist said:

The pendulum hasn't swung that far yet.
Thank god.

Don't California my Texas.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." ~ John Adams
Osodecentx
TexasScientist said:

Beto's politics are too far to the left for him to appeal to enough people across Texas to take down an incumbent. I'm not a Cruz fan, but the reality is Beto is too extreme for mainline Texans. If he were more to the center he would have a chance. The pendulum hasn't swung that far yet.
Probably true
quash
Doc Holliday said:

I can't believe you people that would vote for higher taxes when you know for a fact that our government spends way more money than it takes in. Wrecklessly.

You people need to stop looking to government to help people and start doing it yourself. You're coming from a place of full authority and control...that leads to VERY bad things.

And you're going to get crushed in midterms and you can't handle it. I garuntee you'll blame Russians instead of realizing Americans are waking up and see just how f***** stupid you really are.

I don't care how much you cut taxes, if you still spend gigantic sums more than you take in then you are in the Too Party.

And as Trump's #1 cheerleader around here you owe bubbadog another Iron-O-Meter with that crack about authority. Trump is authoritarian and worships authoritarianism.
TexasScientist
quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

I don't care how much you cut taxes, if you still spend gigantic sums more than you take in then you are in the Too Party.

And as Trump's #1 cheerleader around here you owe bubbadog another Iron-O-Meter with that crack about authority. Trump is authoritarian and worships authoritarianism.
Therein lies the problem. Neither party can control spending because it is not in their interests to control spending. The lobby has a stranglehold on the electoral process. When it comes to fiscal responsibility, neither party is responsible.
Doc Holliday
quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

Neither party is going to fix spending.

But one party is for sure going to take more. Why vote for that?
YoakDaddy
Cruz might be a ******, but I'll never vote democrat.
quash
Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

Two parties are going to take more. Why vote for either of them?
Born_A_Bear
Beto = spam and disregards STOP. They actually respond that it is legal if you are a registered voter.
Regan amnesty voters vote Republican and not Democrat.
Osodecentx
quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

1. I don't favor every drug being legalized
2. I don't favor abortion with no restrictions
3. I don't favor doing away with the Fed
4. I like zoning laws
5. I like (some) environmental laws
quash
Osodecentx said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

quash said:

Doc Holliday said:

1. I don't favor every drug being legalized
2. I don't favor abortion with no restrictions
3. I don't favor doing away with the Fed
4. I like zoning laws
5. I like (some) environmental laws

No prob. Enjoy the debt.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.