Liz Cheney: The GOP is at a turning point. History is watching us

57,205 Views | 1080 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Oldbear83
Sam Lowry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

Trump continues to hold your full attention, I see.

There's more going on the world, you know ...
Because he holds the full attention of the GOP.
Nope, only the ones who respect what he did, and of course malignant haters like yourself.
So, what do you think today was about? Cheney was expelled for speaking the truth about Trump. It wasn't because she wasn't conservative. If Trump isn't the object of their attention, then how do you explain her expulsion?
No, this was not about "truth". This was about Cheney making an ass of herself.

Trump is gone, and so there is no reason to go on and on about him, for or against.

Stop pretending Cheney is anything other than a self-serving ass who abused her position for personal gain.

Personal gain of what?
Sam Lowry
C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

Nope, only the ones who respect what he did, and of course malignant haters like yourself.
So, what do you think today was about? Cheney was expelled for speaking the truth about Trump. It wasn't because she wasn't conservative. If Trump isn't the object of their attention, then how do you explain her expulsion?

Trump is gone, and so there is no reason to go on and on about him, for or against.

Stop pretending Cheney is anything other than a self-serving ass who abused her position for personal gain.

It seems you're deflecting. Cheney was merely saying the same thing that McCarthy said after the insurrection. If the rest of the GOP acknowledged the truth, then she wouldn't appear to be an ass. What prompted her to make the statement was that Trump keeps pushing the lie and her fellow reps refuse to call him on it.

And if that's all it was about, why did they have to do a hurried voice vote out of the public eye down in the basement?

Trump is not gone. The vast majority of the GOP still has fealty for him. I'm already seeing bumper stickers that say "Trump 2024: The Revenge Tour."

They're still calling him leader of the party. He's still pushing the big lie. He's all but said he'll run in 2024, even talking about DeSantis as a running mate. He may have too much legal and financial baggage to run a campaign, much less win the nomination. But one thing is certain. Whatever happens will be someone else's fault. He'll milk the rubes as long as he can, and if he can't win, he'll tell them he was stabbed in the back yet again. Cheney's colleagues think they can avoid all this if they just pretend. She knows better.
Dnicknames
My party has lost its way.

We've abandoned governing, now only interested in the pursuit of power and the cult of personality.

By removing Liz Cheney, we chose Trump and unproven conspiracies over American democracy and our Constitution. Shame. In my opinion, it's a sad day for America, regardless of party affiliation.
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

It seems you're deflecting. Cheney was merely saying the same thing that McCarthy said after the insurrection. If the rest of the GOP acknowledged the truth, then she wouldn't appear to be an ass. What prompted her to make the statement was that Trump keeps pushing the lie and her fellow reps refuse to call him on it.

And if that's all it was about, why did they have to do a hurried voice vote out of the public eye down in the basement?

Trump is not gone. The vast majority of the GOP still has fealty for him. I'm already seeing bumper stickers that say "Trump 2024: The Revenge Tour."

They're still calling him leader of the party. He's still pushing the big lie. He's all but said he'll run in 2024, even talking about DeSantis as a running mate. He may have too much legal and financial baggage to run a campaign, much less win the nomination. But one thing is certain. Whatever happens will be someone else's fault. He'll milk the rubes as long as he can, and if he can't win, he'll tell them he was stabbed in the back yet again. Cheney's colleagues think they can avoid all this if they just pretend. She knows better.
3.5 years is a long time to wait for an obese 75 year old with a family history of diseases. Let's see if he has the stomach (or health) to run again.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Sam Lowry said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

I voted for Trump twice but hopefully will not have to vote for him again. If someone other than Harris/ Biden is on the Democratic Party ticket, I would give them serious consideration. Harris/ Trump are well on their way to sending this country into Great Deppression 2.0 and if that happens, Trump may have a chance. I hope that doesn't happen and we have better options in 2024. We need someone younger to lead our country (Harris is not a leader).
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Mothra
Dnicknames said:

We've abandoned governing, now only interested in the pursuit of power and the cult of personality.

By removing Liz Cheney, we chose Trump and unproven conspiracies over American democracy and our Constitution. Shame. In my opinion, it's a sad day for America, regardless of party affiliation.
Your party? Just curious, which candidates did you vote for in the last couple of election cycles?
Sam Lowry
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Sam Lowry said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

I voted for Trump twice but hopefully will not have to vote for him again. If someone other than Harris/ Biden is on the Democratic Party ticket, I would give them serious consideration. Harris/ Trump are well on their way to sending this country into Great Deppression 2.0 and if that happens, Trump may have a chance. I hope that doesn't happen and we have better options in 2024. We need someone younger to lead our country (Harris is not a leader).
What do you mean, "hopefully?" You told me a few weeks ago you would not vote for him again. I begged to differ. Giving up so soon?
C. Jordan
PartyBear said:

Yeah the vote off record was chicken shxt. They should all be on record with their position. I would think if they thought their position wasn't one of cowardice, they would be fine with the public knowing their vote.

I seem to remember several of y'all anti war folks were marching lock step with Bush/Cheney with the war, water boarding, torture, Patriot Act etc in the 00s on Bfans.
I don't agree with Cheney on policy at all. And I recognize her problems with Trump's generally isolationist foreign policy. I believed her father was the darkness in W's administration, orchestrating our entry into the ruinous, disastrous war in Iraq.

But at least she is willing to see and accept the truth. I also think she sees that in the long run, Trump is poison for the GOP. He's a parasite masquerading as a savior, on the grift, as always. He would be comical if he weren't so very dangerous, as January 6 shows.
Porteroso
Oldbear83 said:

Talk about worthless garbage in a post.

Starting with an insult may be the norm for you or Florda, but it only makes you look like you can't carry an argument on the facts.

And no, Republicans do not 'hate the Constitution'. If that's all you can dredge up, that's weak even for the Left.

Pelosi hasn't done an ethical thing since she had her conscience removed decades ago, so bringing her up is laughable.

And no, the GOP is just fine, Trump was not a plant, and you should post a lot less.

You started with an insult, if you can even remember your post. I'm just telling you that posting content isn't idiotic, but calling names with none is.

GOP will not survive the Trump splinter. In order to have principles of any kind, in order to work across the aisle, in order to gain a foothold in the growing minority populations, the GOP will need a major rebrand at the minimum.

You don't realize it yet, but Democrats hold all the cards right now. They don't have to do anything good, just have to not majorly screw up.

Loyalty to Trump over the Constitution defines a huge portion of the GOP, and Dems will exploit that. They will pit pro-Trumpers like you against pro-USA, and the GOP will be left in ruins. It more or less is already happening. Every single GOP politician will have to ultimately decide whether to swear fealty to a wannabe dictator, or continue with our grand experiment.
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Sam Lowry said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Sam Lowry said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

What do you mean, "hopefully?" You told me a few weeks ago you would not vote for him again. I begged to differ. Giving up so soon?
If we are in the middle of Great Depression 2.0 with a third of the nation in poverty, and Biden and/ or Harris up for reelection, I will vote for him. Do you think Donald Trump is the best person to lead our country in 2024? I don't, but hopefully 2024 won't be our third election in a row voting for the lesser of two evils.

What exactly am I giving up on? As far as I can tell, we are on the same side.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
BearFan33
Sam Lowry said:

BearFan33 said:

J.R. said:

BearFan33 said:

J.R. said:

This issue is really, really simple. Ms. Cheney simply stood up for the truth which is Trump incited the insurrection and needed to be impeached in her opinion. She also has stood up for the TRUTH relative to the election was NOT stolen. Trump lost, but he continues to perpetuate THE LIE. The Republican Paryt of which I used to belong (now Independent) is nothing more than the party of Trump. If you are a Republican and refuse to perpetuate THE LIE, Trump will try to "primary you". Unfortunately, the majority of the Republican/Trump Party are gutless, cowardly people that are scared of Trump and are too concerned about being Trump turning on them and they won't get reelected so the cower in the corner and will not tell the truth and do what is right, save a couple...Romney, Kiinsinger ect. I give Ms Cheney credit for doing what is right and taking on that ****ing Bully. Just watch the pathetic flip flops from spineless Lindsey Graham and Kevin McCarthy. Just pathetic. I cannot believe that these grown ass adults let Trumps control them. Just sad. Again, Trump lost.....presidency, senate, and congress. What more do ya'll Trumpers not understand.

The big lie is your truth and may or not be the truth. The media tells lies regularly and spins everything. I'm sure your truth was also Russia collusion. If you spent any time listening or watching the ga hearings regarding the election, you may have doubts yourself.
So....You think Trump really won the election and it was stolen? Please answer directly.

I think Trump won GA if the election was done fairly. I watched and listened to the hearings, the testimonies and the presentation of the evidence. Did you? Or did you take msnbc's interpretations as gospel? I can't be sure about the other states. I didn't have time to do research.

Question for you. Do you believe trump collided with Russia? Please answer directly.

I'm glad Cheney is out of leadership. As I said before she can stay in the Congress if her constituents want her (they don't). She is a pearl clutching moron who would rather virtue signal and make it all about her than do anything productive against a party that seems hell bent on destroying the country.
The televised hearings which weren't under oath, with evidence they never offered in court?

Which ones did you watch or listen to? The ones I saw had sworn testimony affidavits. Many of the witnesses had no reason to lie.

The courts never let there be any testimony because apparently everyone lacks standing for anything regarding the election.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

Personal gain of what?
In her case, like Mitt "Me First" Romney, the illusion that her antics would win her support in the party.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Oldbear83
Porter-waaaaaaah-so continues to think rants count as effective debate.
BearFan33
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

Personal gain of what?
In her case, like Mitt "Me First" Romney, the illusion that her antics would win her support in the party.

She's got a plum spot as an "analyst" at cnn or other propaganda outlet as soon as she loses her primary. Then there are also book deals. Maybe she will get 5 million dollar advance for a book that nobody wants
Ghostrider
Liz Cheney is still in her leadership position if she could have done the one thing that seems to elude so many people: Shut up

It's not about Trump or anti-Trump or an election or anything else. It's about her inability to control her mouth. And now she's gone.
Oldbear83
Ghostrider said:

Liz Cheney is still in her leadership position if she could have done the one thing that seems to elude so many people: Shut up

It's not about Trump or anti-Trump or an election or anything else. It's about her inability to control her mouth. And now she's gone.
Yyyyyyup

Funny how that problem hurt Trump, and a lot of people knew it, yet they never applied that thought to their own position.

Got to say, the Democrats do a good job of reining in their crazies before they head over the cliff.
Florda_mike
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

Personal gain of what?

It's really hard to believe you know so little that you have to ask such a stupid ****ing question

Do some research you fool
Florda_mike
Dnicknames said:

So you're a a republican???
Florda_mike
This board contains more clueless people than any board I go to

It's astonishing how many stupid know it alls are here
quash
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Sam Lowry said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

There is nobody in the Democrat party you could vote for in the 2024 presidential election.

Prove me wrong.
“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” (The Law, p.6) Frederic Bastiat
Mothra
Porteroso said:

Oldbear83 said:

Talk about worthless garbage in a post.

Starting with an insult may be the norm for you or Florda, but it only makes you look like you can't carry an argument on the facts.

And no, Republicans do not 'hate the Constitution'. If that's all you can dredge up, that's weak even for the Left.

Pelosi hasn't done an ethical thing since she had her conscience removed decades ago, so bringing her up is laughable.

And no, the GOP is just fine, Trump was not a plant, and you should post a lot less.

You started with an insult, if you can even remember your post. I'm just telling you that posting content isn't idiotic, but calling names with none is.

GOP will not survive the Trump splinter. In order to have principles of any kind, in order to work across the aisle, in order to gain a foothold in the growing minority populations, the GOP will need a major rebrand at the minimum.

You don't realize it yet, but Democrats hold all the cards right now. They don't have to do anything good, just have to not majorly screw up.

Loyalty to Trump over the Constitution defines a huge portion of the GOP, and Dems will exploit that. They will pit pro-Trumpers like you against pro-USA, and the GOP will be left in ruins. It more or less is already happening. Every single GOP politician will have to ultimately decide whether to swear fealty to a wannabe dictator, or continue with our grand experiment.
I remember these things being said when Clinton was elected - the GOP must change or die. And then when Republicans won the midterms and Bush won in 2000, it was said that the Democrat party must change or die. And then when Obama won in 2008, it was said the GOP must change or die. And then the GOP won Congress, and Trump won in 2016, and it was said the Democrats must change or die. And so on and so on...

With the current trajectory of the economy, you won't have to worry about the Democrats screwing up. They always seem to find a way.
Guy Noir
Oldbear83 said:

Sorry pal, find a mirror if you want to see "deflection". Cheney brought her trouble on herself, and deserved it all.

Give it a rest about Trump, we have real work to do and you only bray like an ass trying to bring up "Trump! Trump!" like this.
Are you stating that you believe Trumps action on Jan 6, 2021 was justified?
Mothra
Sam Lowry said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Sam Lowry said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

I suppose, unlike some people, he's smart enough to understand that when it's a choice between a leftist and Trump, Trump is the right choice.
Oldbear83
Guy Noir said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sorry pal, find a mirror if you want to see "deflection". Cheney brought her trouble on herself, and deserved it all.

Give it a rest about Trump, we have real work to do and you only bray like an ass trying to bring up "Trump! Trump!" like this.
rephrasing, the President committed no crime on that day, no matter how much his enemies claim so.
curtpenn
J.R. said:

curtpenn said:

J.R. said:

This issue is really, really simple. Ms. Cheney simply stood up for the truth which is Trump incited the insurrection and needed to be impeached in her opinion. She also has stood up for the TRUTH relative to the election was NOT stolen. Trump lost, but he continues to perpetuate THE LIE. The Republican Paryt of which I used to belong (now Independent) is nothing more than the party of Trump. If you are a Republican and refuse to perpetuate THE LIE, Trump will try to "primary you". Unfortunately, the majority of the Republican/Trump Party are gutless, cowardly people that are scared of Trump and are too concerned about being Trump turning on them and they won't get reelected so the cower in the corner and will not tell the truth and do what is right, save a couple...Romney, Kiinsinger ect. I give Ms Cheney credit for doing what is right and taking on that ****ing Bully. Just watch the pathetic flip flops from spineless Lindsey Graham and Kevin McCarthy. Just pathetic. I cannot believe that these grown ass adults let Trumps control them. Just sad. Again, Trump lost.....presidency, senate, and congress. What more do ya'll Trumpers not understand.
Everything you say is a lie.
Really? Please refute with facts, son.

You're not worth the effort and it wouldn't change your worthless opinions. Why bother?
Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Guy Noir said:

Oldbear83 said:

rephrasing, the President committed no crime on that day, no matter how much his enemies claim so.
Great answer...to a totally different question.
Guy Noir
Oldbear83 said:

Guy Noir said:

Oldbear83 said:

Trump encouraged protesters to protest outside Congress on Jan 6th. The protesters stormed the building during a critical time in the transfer of power process that our country follows. I believe Trump crossed a line of appropriate behavior that put our country in jeopardy. If the senate activity of counting the vote would not have been completed the peaceful transfer of power would have been interrupted and we could have been close to a civil war. Trump was encouraging this scenario and that was the reason for Impeachment.

Sam Lowry
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

Personal gain of what?
Okay, so when you say personal gain you mean political gain. Do you really think she failed to anticipate this result? And how is telling the truth an abuse of her position?
boognish_bear
Money465
Liz Cheney picked the losing side with the Republicans, but she picked the winning side with the Democrats and the media. It will be entertaining to see how this plays out for her or if she even wins re-election in Wyoming!
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

Personal gain of what?
Okay, so when you say personal gain you mean political gain. Do you really think she failed to anticipate this result? And how is telling the truth an abuse of her position?
She was not "telling the truth", she was throwing a tantrum

Not a good plan, as it turned out.
Guy Noir
Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

Personal gain of what?

You keep saying she was not telling the truth, but you are incorrect. I realize you do not like Ms. Cheney, but you are not showing any respect or objectivity to the judgement that she has made.
Oldbear83
Guy Noir said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam Lowry said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

Personal gain of what?

You keep saying she was not telling the truth, but you are incorrect. I realize you do not like Ms. Cheney, but you are not showing any respect or objectivity to the judgement that she has made.
I get it, you hate Trump so any attack on him pleases you.

But the way Ms Cheney chose to , hmm, express her version of "truth" did not serve her constituents or her party.

I owe no respect to Ms Cheney, any more than you owe it to Mr. Trump.
Dnicknames
Mothra said:

Dnicknames said:

Your party? Just curious, which candidates did you vote for in the last couple of election cycles?

Last 20 years? Bush - Bush - McCain - Romney - Trump (huge mistake) - Biden

I haven't spoken to Kevin McCarthy in a few years, but I still remember him as the guy who behind closed doors told Republicans on a hot mike "i think Putin pays Trump. Swear to God - no joke." I've heard him say much worse off mike.

Fast forward a few years, and today McCarthy was Trump's enforcer. It's nutts, and the only thing that makes sense to me is a personality cult.

Today's actions just baffle me. I'm genuinely puzzled.
Sam Lowry
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Sam Lowry said:

RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Sam Lowry said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

C. Jordan said:

Oldbear83 said:

If we are in the middle of Great Depression 2.0 with a third of the nation in poverty, and Biden and/ or Harris up for reelection, I will vote for him. Do you think Donald Trump is the best person to lead our country in 2024? I don't, but hopefully 2024 won't be our third election in a row voting for the lesser of two evils.

What exactly am I giving up on? As far as I can tell, we are on the same side.
We are pretty much on the same side when it comes to goals. But you have to work under the rule of law, or you'll end up with nothing to show for it. Follow the "lesser evils" path to its conclusion, and you're caught between the Devil and Beelzebub.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake.

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/7515521-william-roper-so-now-you-give-the-devil-the-benefit

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.