Liz Cheney: The GOP is at a turning point. History is watching us

57,527 Views | 1080 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Oldbear83
OsoCoreyell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Booray said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

Cheney and her ilk are wrong on a lot of things, but they're 100% right on this. This is completely unacceptable for anyone who claims to love the Constitution and the rule of law.

Adopting the rhetoric of your opponent doesn't impress anyone. It just emboldens your opponent and undermines your credibility among your natural allies.

The rhetoric of constitutionalism was not always unique to the left. It's the abandonment of our own principles that undermines our credibility.

A former president should not be undermining an election six months after the fact, especially not without evidence. It is obscene.
he did not, and is not, undermining an election. He is keeping the GOP focused on severely flawed state laws that allowed our opponents to steal an election.

"Severely flawed state laws" does not sound like you are much of a federalist.

And that is not what this about, anyway. The Cyber Ninjas in Arizona are currently trying to create evidence that Maricopa County counted votes that were smuggled in from Asia based on bamboo content in the ballots. The repeated efforts to call into question Georgia and to cast that state's Republican Governor and Secretary of State into political come their refusal to make up vote fraud stories after two recounts demonstrated that Trump lost. Sydney Powell and Rudy Giuliani ran around trying to convince people the spirit of Hugo Chavez infected the Dominion voting machines.

The Big Lie Trump and his acolytes is spreading has zero to do with allowing mail in ballots during the pandemic. It is a carnival of tin foil that the current GOP either tolerates for fear of Trump or actively uses as a way to restrict voting in the future to drive down turnout. The downside is that we are losing faith in our elections which is a necessary condition for authoritarians to take control

It is dangerous and that is why Liz Cheney is taking a stand.

I enjoy posting on here and usually come to an appreciation of, if not agreement with, of the conservative side of things through the argument raised by posters like you. On this issue, however, if one professes not to see the danger of what Trump has done (not is doing-the genie is out of the bottle), one is being wither foolish or treasonous. IMHO.

Also, Stacey Abrams. C'mon. Gotta be consistent.
Booray
OsoCoreyell said:

Booray said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

Cheney and her ilk are wrong on a lot of things, but they're 100% right on this. This is completely unacceptable for anyone who claims to love the Constitution and the rule of law.

Adopting the rhetoric of your opponent doesn't impress anyone. It just emboldens your opponent and undermines your credibility among your natural allies.

The rhetoric of constitutionalism was not always unique to the left. It's the abandonment of our own principles that undermines our credibility.

A former president should not be undermining an election six months after the fact, especially not without evidence. It is obscene.
he did not, and is not, undermining an election. He is keeping the GOP focused on severely flawed state laws that allowed our opponents to steal an election.

And that is not what this about, anyway. The Cyber Ninjas in Arizona are currently trying to create evidence that Maricopa County counted votes that were smuggled in from Asia based on bamboo content in the ballots. The repeated efforts to call into question Georgia and to cast that state's Republican Governor and Secretary of State into political come their refusal to make up vote fraud stories after two recounts demonstrated that Trump lost. Sydney Powell and Rudy Giuliani ran around trying to convince people the spirit of Hugo Chavez infected the Dominion voting machines.

The Big Lie Trump and his acolytes is spreading has zero to do with allowing mail in ballots during the pandemic. It is a carnival of tin foil that the current GOP either tolerates for fear of Trump or actively uses as a way to restrict voting in the future to drive down turnout. The downside is that we are losing faith in our elections which is a necessary condition for authoritarians to take control

I enjoy posting on here and usually come to an appreciation of, if not agreement with, of the conservative side of things through the argument raised by posters like you. On this issue, however, if one professes not to see the danger of what Trump has done (not is doing-the genie is out of the bottle), one is being wither foolish or treasonous. IMHO.

I disagree with anyone who casts doubt on elections they lost by claiming fraud in the absence of evidence of fraud.

If the complaint is about the laws that impacted the voting (the presence or absence of mail-in balloting options) or the procedures uses (voting times and places) I think that is fair game for either side. Which is my point about trump-he is complaining about true fraud, not about disagreement with procedure. I don't know what Abrams said after she lost in Georgia, so I don't know what category to put her in. ;
Doc Holliday
Booray said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Booray said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

I disagree with anyone who casts doubt on elections they lost by claiming fraud in the absence of evidence of fraud.

If the complaint is about the laws that impacted the voting (the presence or absence of mail-in balloting options) or the procedures uses (voting times and places) I think that is fair game for either side. Which is my point about trump-he is complaining about true fraud, not about disagreement with procedure. I don't know what Abrams said after she lost in Georgia, so I don't know what category to put her in. ;
The real question is if anyone is incapable of voting currently?

I would think like .001% might have that problem due to some really strange situation.

How many people that can't mail in vote, can't also make it to a voting booth? If you can't make time or accommodations for that then our society is going to collapse from lack of ability.

It's not so much fraud that I'm worried about, it's how unbelievably bad some of these states handle their voting processes. Why are states 6x the size of other's having no issues while small states count for months? Why are we sending ballots based on old voter rolls?

Since it's a federal election...we should probably all follow the same rules.
Osodecentx
Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

I'm shocked a Republican is saying this. Standing on principle is something I thought the GOP abandoned long ago. Valuing America might not be popular on either side, but at least here is 1 politician who does.
And we will cast her out for calling out Trump

If she's cast out, it will be for putting personality above policy, largely in a bid to stem the loss of power establishment republicans, like her, Romney, etc., were experiencing. She sided with Democrats to take down her internal political party opponents by casting them as immoral....which is like a cobra chastising a rattle snake for being poisonous.

The key takeaway is that she sided with Democrats. She sided with a truly antiAmerican party to try and shore up her power. She needs to go.
She sided with the Constitution, not party. You put loyalty to Trump above all principle

She did not. She sided with an outright lie. I'm loyal to no politician.
Trump says the election was stolen. That is the lie. To ignore Trump's statements is to abet the big lie
Guy Noir
Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Booray said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

I would think like .001% might have that problem due to some really strange situation.

How many people that can't mail in vote, can't also make it to a voting booth? If you can't make time or accommodations for that then our society is going to collapse from lack of ability.

It's not so much fraud that I'm worried about, it's how unbelievably bad some of these states handle their voting processes. Why are states 6x the size of other's having no issues while small states count for months? Why are we sending ballots based on old voter rolls?

I have a friend that moved from one state to another a few years ago and she received a mail-in ballot from the state of her former residence. If she was passionate abo0ut a candidate she could have voted in 2 states. I do not believe she did double vote, but I wonder how many people did.
ilbb990912
Republicans and Democrats, at the end of the day, are 2 sides of the same coin - stooges for big corporations;
Waco1947
curtpenn said:

OsoCoreyell said:

curtpenn said:

C. Jordan said:

Canon said:

She needs to go. She objected to personality and ignored the damage she was doing to policy.
So are you saying inciting insurrection is a matter of personality, not policy?

Really? There is no real policy with Trump. There is only personality. Conservatives who really care about policy, like Cheney, know he's an utter failure at it.

I agree with Cheney on practically nothing, but admire her moral courage. While McCarthy and his ilk went groveling to Trump after he incited violent insurrection, she stood fast. Sadly, Republicans are going to punish her for telling the truth. It's so dangerous for one man to have such power over people like the Republican base. He's turned the party into a personality cult.

Trump is going to go down in history as one of our worst presidents and the most dangerous. His toadies in congress are going to go down as gutless cowards who tried to hold on to power by degrading democracy.
Jan 6 was not an insurrection. No need for the big lie. The regressives embody degrading democracy. It's what they do. It's what democracy carried to its logical extreme does. There's a reason we have a republic and the left hates it so.
You can call it banana cream pie for all I care; It doesn't change the facts of what happened. Some numb-skulls who don't subscribe to reality were whipped into a frenzy based on falsehoods and stormed the US Capitol Building. There are a lot of reasons it shouldn't have happened, including a darn-near criminal reduction in the protective forces, but it still happened.

I am beffuddled by people that will whine about what's happening in Seattle and Portland and gloss over what happened at the Capitol. Just because the Dems lied and schemed about Russian collusion and all of that BS doesn't excuse what happened.
I think of Jan 6 as something of a positive in the sense that regressives need to understand that some people will only tolerate so much. There is no denying the election was irregular regardless of how some dance around with semantics. The powers that be need to be reminded from time to time that they may be vulnerable and should moderate their behavior accordingly. This is reality.
Stupid, dangerous comment that does not support your conclusion "Powers need be reminded."
We saw reality an insurrection in support of a "damn lie" (HST or MEk Twain).
Biden won. There is no evidence to the contrary. This is my conclusion based on fact.
Booray
Guy Noir said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Booray said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

I have a friend that moved from one state to another a few years ago and she received a mail-in ballot from the state of her former residence. If she was passionate abo0ut a candidate she could have voted in 2 states. I do not believe she did double vote, but I wonder how many people did.
What state did she move from?
curtpenn
Waco1947 said:

curtpenn said:

OsoCoreyell said:

curtpenn said:

C. Jordan said:

Canon said:

She needs to go. She objected to personality and ignored the damage she was doing to policy.
So are you saying inciting insurrection is a matter of personality, not policy?

Really? There is no real policy with Trump. There is only personality. Conservatives who really care about policy, like Cheney, know he's an utter failure at it.

I agree with Cheney on practically nothing, but admire her moral courage. While McCarthy and his ilk went groveling to Trump after he incited violent insurrection, she stood fast. Sadly, Republicans are going to punish her for telling the truth. It's so dangerous for one man to have such power over people like the Republican base. He's turned the party into a personality cult.

Trump is going to go down in history as one of our worst presidents and the most dangerous. His toadies in congress are going to go down as gutless cowards who tried to hold on to power by degrading democracy.
Jan 6 was not an insurrection. No need for the big lie. The regressives embody degrading democracy. It's what they do. It's what democracy carried to its logical extreme does. There's a reason we have a republic and the left hates it so.
You can call it banana cream pie for all I care; It doesn't change the facts of what happened. Some numb-skulls who don't subscribe to reality were whipped into a frenzy based on falsehoods and stormed the US Capitol Building. There are a lot of reasons it shouldn't have happened, including a darn-near criminal reduction in the protective forces, but it still happened.

I am beffuddled by people that will whine about what's happening in Seattle and Portland and gloss over what happened at the Capitol. Just because the Dems lied and schemed about Russian collusion and all of that BS doesn't excuse what happened.
I think of Jan 6 as something of a positive in the sense that regressives need to understand that some people will only tolerate so much. There is no denying the election was irregular regardless of how some dance around with semantics. The powers that be need to be reminded from time to time that they may be vulnerable and should moderate their behavior accordingly. This is reality.
Stupid, dangerous comment that does not support your conclusion "Powers need be reminded."
We saw reality an insurrection in support of a "damn lie" (HST or MEk Twain).
Biden won. There is no evidence to the contrary. This is my conclusion based on fact.

You and your stupid fellow travelers are infinitely more dangerous to America and need to understand the incipient civil war may turn kinetic if you don't change your ways.
curtpenn
Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

I'm shocked a Republican is saying this. Standing on principle is something I thought the GOP abandoned long ago. Valuing America might not be popular on either side, but at least here is 1 politician who does.

If she's cast out, it will be for putting personality above policy, largely in a bid to stem the loss of power establishment republicans, like her, Romney, etc., were experiencing. She sided with Democrats to take down her internal political party opponents by casting them as immoral....which is like a cobra chastising a rattle snake for being poisonous.

The key takeaway is that she sided with Democrats. She sided with a truly antiAmerican party to try and shore up her power. She needs to go.
She sided with the Constitution, not party. You put loyalty to Trump above all principle

Trump says the election was stolen. That is the lie. To ignore Trump's statements is to abet the big lie

If the election was not stolen, then a majority of the voters are enemies of our republic and should be resisted by any and all means necessary.
Osodecentx
curtpenn said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

If the election was not stolen, then a majority of the voters are enemies of our republic and should be resisted by any and all means necessary.
Well, crap. If only you weren't so devilishly smart. Your logic is too much for my and my minions
Guy Noir
Booray said:

Guy Noir said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Booray said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

What state did she move from?

As I recall Oregon.
Bexar Pitts
curtpenn said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

By definition, aren't the majority of the voters the essence of our republic?
Oldbear83
Osodecentx said:

curtpenn said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

Well, crap. If only you weren't so devilishly smart. Your logic is too much for my and my minions
So that's where they went after the last 'Despicable' movie.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Booray
curtpenn said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

Do you really believe this stuff or are you trolling?
curtpenn
Osodecentx said:

curtpenn said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

If only this was about logic...
curtpenn
Bexar Pitts said:

curtpenn said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

No. The essence of our republic is comprised of natural rights and the consent of the governed. When a significant percentage of the governed no longer give their consent, the government has lost its claims to legitimacy. It should only legislate in those areas for which there is sufficient consent if it wishes to be legitimate.
Bexar Pitts
curtpenn
Booray said:

curtpenn said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

I see you have your usual big bag of nothing. No surprise.
curtpenn
Bexar Pitts said:

Love it.
Bexar Pitts
curtpenn said:

Bexar Pitts said:

curtpenn said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

No. The essence of our republic is comprised of natural rights and the consent of the governed. When a significant percentage of the governed no longer give their consent, the government has lost its claims to legitimacy. It should only legislate in those areas for which there is sufficient consent if it wishes to be legitimate.
"Sufficient"..."Significant" ... as defined by whom? A republic elects it's representatives, who thereby are given the consent of the people to govern..rather than a monarch.
bear2be2
curtpenn said:

Bexar Pitts said:

curtpenn said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

When that significant percentage bases its shared reality on utter fiction, the answer is to move on without them, not to give in to/legitimize their wild-eyed delusions and fantasies.
curtpenn
ilbb990912 said:

Republicans and Democrats, at the end of the day, are 2 sides of the same coin - stooges for big corporations;
Definitely some truth in that.
ATL Bear
HuMcK said:

ATL Bear said:

C. Jordan said:

ATL Bear said:

If only the left had someone of courage in 2017 to explain how this Russian collusion narrative, investigation, and stolen election madness was insane. Instead of history watching them, it was rewritten to accommodate it.
Nice try at deflection.

It won't work.
Because you never see the breadth of your own sins because you're consumed with the sins of others. People don't see how close we came to actually removing a duly elected President under false pretenses and illegal FISA spying on US citizens.

All this bullsht even after knowing Trump's campaign manager had an active relationship with a literal Russian spy while Russia covertly supported Trump's election...imagine the level of brainwashing it takes to still think that was a hoax narrative.

Manafort met with a Russian spy to literally discuss campaign strategy and exchange info that would help them interfere, which they enthusiatically did. Nothing you say will ever change those objectiveJ facts. "False pretenses" lol.
Just realize you are the left's equivalent of Trumpers saying the 2020 election was stolen through fraud. The crazy thing is that you were much more close to success of overturning a duly elected official and with teeth than any riotous mob even came close to. Keep your BS alive by band-aiding and bubble gumming disparate pieces together.
curtpenn
Bexar Pitts said:

curtpenn said:

Bexar Pitts said:

curtpenn said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

"Sufficient"..."Significant" ... as defined by whom? A republic elects it's representatives, who thereby are given the consent of the people to govern..rather than a monarch.
Would love to see some sort of supermajority established as a compromise. 75% seems barely tolerable to me, but might accept that. Ultimately, given our fallen nature no system of government should be allowed to have too much power as the electorate may be too easily corrupted. Final authority will come down as it always has to force of arms and willingness to bleed.
curtpenn
ATL Bear said:

HuMcK said:

ATL Bear said:

C. Jordan said:

ATL Bear said:

If only the left had someone of courage in 2017 to explain how this Russian collusion narrative, investigation, and stolen election madness was insane. Instead of history watching them, it was rewritten to accommodate it.
Nice try at deflection.

It won't work.
Because you never see the breadth of your own sins because you're consumed with the sins of others. People don't see how close we came to actually removing a duly elected President under false pretenses and illegal FISA spying on US citizens.

All this bullsht even after knowing Trump's campaign manager had an active relationship with a literal Russian spy while Russia covertly supported Trump's election...imagine the level of brainwashing it takes to still think that was a hoax narrative.

Manafort met with a Russian spy to literally discuss campaign strategy and exchange info that would help them interfere, which they enthusiatically did. Nothing you say will ever change those objectiveJ facts. "False pretenses" lol.
Just realize you are the left's equivalent of Trumpers saying the 2020 election was stolen through fraud. The crazy thing is that you were much more close to success of overturning a duly elected official and with teeth than any riotous mob even came close to. Keep your BS alive by band-aiding and bubble gumming disparate pieces together.
What the idiot regressives will never admit/accept is that the evil orange man was never the root cause of what followed; he is a mere symptom of right thinking people rejecting their policies and agenda. Absent said agenda, there could never have been a Trump in the first place.
ATL Bear
It's not popular to say, but populism sucks. It becomes dangerous when you continue to consolidate power into a branch of government that reigns over countless regulatory, policy, legal, and enforcement entities with management and appointment authority flowing through a single elected official. Viva la Electoral College.
curtpenn
bear2be2 said:

curtpenn said:

Bexar Pitts said:

curtpenn said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

When that significant percentage bases it's shared reality on utter fiction, the answer is to move on without them, not to give in to/legitimize their wild-eyed delusions and fantasies.
I understand your wish to make this all about Trump, but it just isn't. Could only bring myself to vote for him in 2016 and 2020 when confronted with the reality of the existential threat posed by your kind. You are the problem/enemy. That has only been amplified by the current a$$hat in the White House and his (mis)administration.
Bexar Pitts
curtpenn said:

Bexar Pitts said:

curtpenn said:

Bexar Pitts said:

curtpenn said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

Would love to see some sort of supermajority established as a compromise. 75% seems barely tolerable to me, but might accept that. Ultimately, given our fallen nature no system of government should be allowed to have too much power as the electorate may be too easily corrupted. Final authority will come down as it always has to force of arms and willingness to bleed.
"given our fallen nature" ..We may not be there quite yet, but I surely don't like the direction we've been heading. As Dr. Lynn often exclaimed.."Bear up Nobly."
Dnicknames
I support her and welcome more leaders with the courage required to call out the big lie.
curtpenn
Bexar Pitts said:

curtpenn said:

Bexar Pitts said:

curtpenn said:

Bexar Pitts said:

curtpenn said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

"given our fallen nature" ..We may not be there quite yet, but I surely don't like the direction we've been heading. As Dr. Lynn often exclaimed.."Bear up Nobly."
Dr Lynn was a fine man. Ora et labora.
Bexar Pitts
curtpenn said:

Bexar Pitts said:

curtpenn said:

Bexar Pitts said:

curtpenn said:

Bexar Pitts said:

curtpenn said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

Dr Lynn was a fine man. Ora et labora.
Pax Optima Rerum
Booray
curtpenn said:

Booray said:

curtpenn said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

I see you have your usual big bag of nothing. No surprise.

Your posting makes zero sense. The majority of the people are the enemy of the people. That is why I thought you had to be trolling. Turns out you actually believe this nonsense.

Canon
Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

Democrats said the election was stolen for 4 years and you only get upset when a republican does it. Your true colors are showing. The Democrats normalized that talk. Trump, as ever, played their game by their rules and they/you got upset he did. You lost your voice when you failed to use it for four years.
Bexar Pitts
Osodecentx said:

She is exactly right
Oso, I couldn't resist commenting on this one. Yes..she surely is... In golf lingo, she caught it on the screws.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.