Liz Cheney: The GOP is at a turning point. History is watching us

57,245 Views | 1080 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Oldbear83
Sam Lowry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rawhide said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam: "It's not only about getting what you want. It's about the health of the republic. Some of you have lost all sense of this."

if you really believe that, then you should support things like the vote audit going on in Arizona.

Answer the questions, put the doubts to rest.

To be clear, Joe Biden won the election once the states certified their results and the Electoral College also certified the tallies. That's the law, and no question.

But it's undeniable that Democrats did everything they could to sell Vote by Mail, with less security than any vote in the last century, changed laws in the months immediately preceding the election, in several cases in violation of the state's constitution, and there is a hell of a lot of suspicious behavior about votes which just happened to turn up in the middle of the night in certain towns where Democrats held control of the voting counts.

Trump was an idiot in how he handed a lot of things in 2020, but there are reasons to demand a serious audit into what happened.

This is the third audit of Maricopa County. The first two done by professionals, this one conducted by nitwits. Georgia recounted twice, looking at every ballot by hand. Course were available in about 60 cases filed by Trump and associates and they could not produce any proof. Sydney Powell promised for weeks on end that she had jaw dropping evidence that would blow it all open, now she just hides.

The election "contest" is a carnival freak show. But t keeps rubes entertained.
What are your political goals?

Why do you vote for Democrats?
Two weeks ago I answered that exact question for you with a well-tough out post. I am not going to do it again just so you can deflect.

My "political goal" in this thread is to say that American democracy is a system that works and worked in the 2020 election. As opposed to those who want to tear down the very things that make us great..
So, tell us big guy, did democracy work in the 2016 election or was it rigged by Russia and Trump?
Democrats indulge a lot of craziness. I haven't seen them make crazy a litmus test for leadership. That's what's disturbing about all this.
Canon
Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Oldbear83 said:

Sam: "It's not only about getting what you want. It's about the health of the republic. Some of you have lost all sense of this."

if you really believe that, then you should support things like the vote audit going on in Arizona.

To be clear, Joe Biden won the election once the states certified their results and the Electoral College also certified the tallies. That's the law, and no question.

But it's undeniable that Democrats did everything they could to sell Vote by Mail, with less security than any vote in the last century, changed laws in the months immediately preceding the election, in several cases in violation of the state's constitution, and there is a hell of a lot of suspicious behavior about votes which just happened to turn up in the middle of the night in certain towns where Democrats held control of the voting counts.

Trump was an idiot in how he handed a lot of things in 2020, but there are reasons to demand a serious audit into what happened.

This is the third audit of Maricopa County. The first two done by professionals, this one conducted by nitwits. Georgia recounted twice, looking at every ballot by hand. Course were available in about 60 cases filed by Trump and associates and they could not produce any proof. Sydney Powell promised for weeks on end that she had jaw dropping evidence that would blow it all open, now she just hides.

Two weeks ago I answered that exact question for you with a well-tough out post. I am not going to do it again just so you can deflect.

My "political goal" in this thread is to say that American democracy is a system that works and worked in the 2020 election. As opposed to those who want to tear down the very things that make us great..
So, tell us big guy, did democracy work in the 2016 election or was it rigged by Russia and Trump?
Democrats indulge a lot of craziness. I haven't seen them make crazy a litmus test for leadership. That's what's disturbing about all this.

Then you haven't been paying attention. The only semi sane Democrat in office appears to be Joe Manchin and the Democrats hate him. Insanity is absolutely a litmus test for Democrat leadership, otherwise they couldn't push the policies they do.
Redbrickbear
I liked Trump.

Kicking out Liz because she doe not like Trump is stupid.

Kicking out Liz because she is a piece of **** war monger and corporate money worshiping ***** is absolutely correct.
Sam Lowry
Canon said:

Sam Lowry said:

Rawhide said:

Booray said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Oldbear83 said:

Then you haven't been paying attention. The only semi sane Democrat in office appears to be Joe Manchin and the Democrats hate him. Insanity is absolutely a litmus test for Democrat leadership, otherwise they couldn't push the policies they do.
They are certainly "insane." Most of them are not, in a literal sense, insane. Important difference.
BearFan33
Redbrickbear said:

I liked Trump.

Kicking out Liz because she is a piece of **** war monger and corporate money worshiping ***** is absolutely correct.
Liz is a never trump idiot that falls for and participates in false media narratives. She can be in congress if her constituents want her, but in no way should be in any kind of leadership position.
Booray
BearFan33 said:

Redbrickbear said:

I liked Trump.

Liz is a never trump idiot that falls for and participates in false media narratives. She can be in congress if her constituents want her, but in no way should be in any kind of leadership position.
I wonder how many of the same posters who are arguing that Liz Cheney is a "war monger" who wants to keep us involved in endless conflicts also were all for the invasions post 9/11, argued Obama was an idiot for continuing the Iraq drawdown and think that maintaining stability in the Mid-East is of vital importance for energy reasons and to help Israel?

Also amazing that people who continually whine about politicians not sticking to their guns based on careerism will castigate someone for taking a position that is obviously the opposite of careerism.
Osodecentx
Booray said:

BearFan33 said:

Redbrickbear said:

I liked Trump.

I wonder how many of the same posters who are arguing that Liz Cheney is a "war monger" who wants to keep us involved in endless conflicts also were all for the invasions post 9/11, argued Obama was an idiot for continuing the Iraq drawdown and think that maintaining stability in the Mid-East is of vital importance for energy reasons and to help Israel?

Also amazing that people who continually whine about politicians not sticking to their guns based on careerism will castigate someone for taking a position that is obviously the opposite of careerism.
Yep
Waco1947
Redbrickbear said:

I liked Trump.

"Hating" is immaterial to her stance. He needed to be convicted of his insurrection. Trump's big lie is her reason. Trump lost. That's the truth.
whiterock
Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

BearFan33 said:

Redbrickbear said:

I liked Trump.

Yep
is it really? Is she really going to get hurt if she loses her seat? is she really in it for Wyoming?

She lands on her feet no matter what. It's the people of Wyoming who finally get someone who represents them, and the GOP caucus in Congress who gets a leader who knows how to team-build rather than virtue posture.
Osodecentx
whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

BearFan33 said:

Redbrickbear said:

I liked Trump.

Yep
is it really? Is she really going to get hurt if she loses her seat? is she really in it for Wyoming?

She lands on her feet no matter what. It's the people of Wyoming who finally get someone who represents them, and the GOP caucus in Congress who gets a leader who knows how to team-build rather than virtue posture.
The problem is the GOP not tolerating differences of opinion. If you don't line up with Trump you're out
Sam Lowry
Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

BearFan33 said:

Redbrickbear said:

I liked Trump.

Yep

The problem is the GOP not tolerating differences of opinion. If you don't line up with Trump you're out
Yeah. This is not the way to team-build.
whiterock
Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

BearFan33 said:

Redbrickbear said:

I liked Trump.

Yep

That's a pretty flimsy straw man which fails on multiple levels.

First it's about leadership: Caucus leaders cannot set themselves up as a vocal and unwavering opponent of the leader of the party. She couldn't hold onto her job if she criticized McCarthy vociferously, so why should she get to do that for criticizing the man who manifestly has the broadest support within the party at large?

Second, politics is all about compromise, isn't it? She is a moderate, for crissakes. Can't she compromise with her own caucus for the sake of accomplishing larger goals? Does she really think that she alone can stand and force Trump aside? I mean, if she really feels that strongly, why doesn't she resign and let someone else take over?

Third, virtue postures self destructive when they're about ego. She's making her leadership post all about HER, about her views which are a very small minority of opinion in the party and out of step with her constituents at home and her caucus in Washington. If she just shut her mouth about Trump and started working on the many things that she and her caucus are in agreement with, she wouldn't be losing her post. but she can't do THAT. She has to make sure all her friends know she is NOT going to work with that very bad man.

The real headline here is that the shrinking number of establishment neverTrumpers simply think they're too good to play team ball. It's the conservative base that is supposed to bite down and swallow things they don't like being forced upon them by their betters. Moderate/establishment types actually compromise within their own party? Oh no. That's beneath them. They have to be principled when it comes to moderating conservatism! It's simply amazing that neverTrumpers cannot see that all they're doing is doubling down on their own vanity rather than playing team ball to accomplish a conservative agenda. They cannot imagine that they're wrong, that the party has left them. So they rent themselves out as mouthpieces of of forces who will never cooperate with them, never willingly accede to any conservative policies, and undermine chances to actually accomplish things they claim to want to achieve.

J.R.
This issue is really, really simple. Ms. Cheney simply stood up for the truth which is Trump incited the insurrection and needed to be impeached in her opinion. She also has stood up for the TRUTH relative to the election was NOT stolen. Trump lost, but he continues to perpetuate THE LIE. The Republican Paryt of which I used to belong (now Independent) is nothing more than the party of Trump. If you are a Republican and refuse to perpetuate THE LIE, Trump will try to "primary you". Unfortunately, the majority of the Republican/Trump Party are gutless, cowardly people that are scared of Trump and are too concerned about being Trump turning on them and they won't get reelected so the cower in the corner and will not tell the truth and do what is right, save a couple...Romney, Kiinsinger ect. I give Ms Cheney credit for doing what is right and taking on that ****ing Bully. Just watch the pathetic flip flops from spineless Lindsey Graham and Kevin McCarthy. Just pathetic. I cannot believe that these grown ass adults let Trumps control them. Just sad. Again, Trump lost.....presidency, senate, and congress. What more do ya'll Trumpers not understand.
J.R.
Canon said:

TexasScientist said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

I'm shocked a Republican is saying this. Standing on principle is something I thought the GOP abandoned long ago. Valuing America might not be popular on either side, but at least here is 1 politician who does.
And we will cast her out for calling out Trump

If she's cast out, it will be for putting personality above policy, largely in a bid to stem the loss of power establishment republicans, like her, Romney, etc., were experiencing. She sided with Democrats to take down her internal political party opponents by casting them as immoral....which is like a cobra chastising a rattle snake for being poisonous.

The key takeaway is that she sided with Democrats. She sided with a truly antiAmerican party to try and shore up her power. She needs to go.
The key take away is she has sided with truth over propitiation to Trump. She chose character and principle, something rare today.

LC isn't principled. Establishment Republicans like her and Romney have no principles. They act to protect and grow their own power. The last administration didn't upset them because Trump is a coarse jerk. It upset them because they were losing power. She sided with Democrats in an unconstitutional power play. She has no principles.
yeah, you are right...Trump, Cruz, Graham , McCarthy, and that pervy Matt Geatz (sp) are really principle fellas! Give me Romney, Kinsinger, Cheney in terms of principles any day of the week and twice on Sundays!
Sam Lowry
Booray said:

BearFan33 said:

Redbrickbear said:

I liked Trump.

I would love to see Cheney ousted for being a warmonger. That would never happen, because the people doing the ousting would have to think about maybe not being warmongers.
Osodecentx
whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

BearFan33 said:

Redbrickbear said:

I liked Trump.

Yep

First it's about leadership: Caucus leaders cannot set themselves up as a vocal and unwavering opponent of the leader of the party. She couldn't hold onto her job if she criticized McCarthy vociferously, so why should she get to do that for criticizing the man who manifestly has the broadest support within the party at large? She told the truth about a guy with a 30% approval rating

Second, politics is all about compromise, isn't it? She is a moderate, for crissakes. Can't she compromise with her own caucus for the sake of accomplishing larger goals? Does she really think that she alone can stand and force Trump aside? I mean, if she really feels that strongly, why doesn't she resign and let someone else take over? She told the truth about a guy with a 30% approval rating.

Third, virtue postures self destructive when they're about ego. She's making her leadership post all about HER, about her views which are a very small minority of opinion in the party and out of step with her constituents at home and her caucus in Washington. If she just shut her mouth about Trump and started working on the many things that she and her caucus are in agreement with, she wouldn't be losing her post. but she can't do THAT. She has to make sure all her friends know she is NOT going to work with that very bad man. She told the truth about a guy with a 30% approval rating

The real headline here is that the shrinking number of establishment neverTrumpers simply think they're too good to play team ball. She told the truth about a guy with a 30% approval rating It's the conservative base that is supposed to bite down and swallow things they don't like being forced upon them by their betters. And they can't bar told the truth? Moderate/establishment types actually compromise within their own party? Oh no. That's beneath them. So just repeat the Big Lie because the Party can't tell the truth. They have to be principled when it comes to moderating conservatism! It's simply amazing that neverTrumpers cannot see that all they're doing is doubling down on their own vanity rather than playing team ball to accomplish a conservative agenda. They cannot imagine that they're wrong, that the party has left them. So they rent themselves out as mouthpieces of of forces who will never cooperate with them, never willingly accede to any conservative policies, and undermine chances to actually accomplish things they claim to want to achieve.

She told the truth about a guy with a 30% approval rating
BearFan33
J.R. said:

This issue is really, really simple. Ms. Cheney simply stood up for the truth which is Trump incited the insurrection and needed to be impeached in her opinion. She also has stood up for the TRUTH relative to the election was NOT stolen. Trump lost, but he continues to perpetuate THE LIE. The Republican Paryt of which I used to belong (now Independent) is nothing more than the party of Trump. If you are a Republican and refuse to perpetuate THE LIE, Trump will try to "primary you". Unfortunately, the majority of the Republican/Trump Party are gutless, cowardly people that are scared of Trump and are too concerned about being Trump turning on them and they won't get reelected so the cower in the corner and will not tell the truth and do what is right, save a couple...Romney, Kiinsinger ect. I give Ms Cheney credit for doing what is right and taking on that ****ing Bully. Just watch the pathetic flip flops from spineless Lindsey Graham and Kevin McCarthy. Just pathetic. I cannot believe that these grown ass adults let Trumps control them. Just sad. Again, Trump lost.....presidency, senate, and congress. What more do ya'll Trumpers not understand.

The big lie is your truth and may or not be the truth. The media tells lies regularly and spins everything. I'm sure your truth was also Russia collusion. If you spent any time listening or watching the ga hearings regarding the election, you may have doubts yourself.
Oldbear83
Sam Lowry said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

BearFan33 said:

Redbrickbear said:

I liked Trump.

Yep

Yeah. This is not the way to team-build.
Trump-hate only wins for Democrats. Ms Chaney deserves to be shown the door.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
HuMcK
BearFan33 said:

J.R. said:

The big lie is your truth and may or not be the truth. The media tells lies regularly and spins everything. I'm sure your truth was also Russia collusion. If you spent any time listening or watching the ga hearings regarding the election, you may have doubts yourself.

Pretty insane to hear old school Soviet denial propaganda techniques out of modern Americans.
HuMcK
Oldbear83
HuMcK said:

BearFan33 said:

J.R. said:

Pretty insane to hear old school Soviet denial propaganda techniques out of modern Americans.
Yes, but why bring up Obama?
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Florda_mike
Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

BearFan33 said:

Redbrickbear said:

I liked Trump.

Yep

You're a loser, idiot
Florda_mike
Sam Lowry said:

Booray said:

BearFan33 said:

Redbrickbear said:

I liked Trump.

I would love to see Cheney ousted for being a warmonger. That would never happen, because the people doing the ousting would have to think about maybe not being warmongers.

On this we can agree

It may take some time, how long idk, but your above statement has greater than a 50% chance to come true imo
BearFan33
HuMcK said:

BearFan33 said:

J.R. said:

Lol you still think Russia collusion was real. The difference between me and you is the propaganda works on you.
HuMcK
BearFan33 said:

HuMcK said:

BearFan33 said:

J.R. said:

Lol you still think Russia collusion was real. The difference between me and you is the propaganda works on you.

I believe in facts and evidence, not the Stalinist, mealy-mouthed "your truth/my truth" nonsense that is coming out of you.
Florda_mike
HuMcK said:

BearFan33 said:

HuMcK said:

BearFan33 said:

J.R. said:

I believe in facts and evidence, not the Stalinist, mealy-mouthed "your truth/my truth" nonsense that is coming out of you.

What if you found out everything you knew was a lie?

It is!!!

And when you realize that you'll be in shock, total shock
whiterock
Florda_mike said:

HuMcK said:

BearFan33 said:

HuMcK said:

BearFan33 said:

J.R. said:

What if you found out everything you knew was a lie?

It is!!!

And when you realize that you'll be in shock, total shock
Isn't it amazing to see Huck calling others Stalinist fact/evidence deniers who double-deal in truth claims?
whiterock
Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

BearFan33 said:

Redbrickbear said:

I liked Trump.

Yep

First it's about leadership: Caucus leaders cannot set themselves up as a vocal and unwavering opponent of the leader of the party. She couldn't hold onto her job if she criticized McCarthy vociferously, so why should she get to do that for criticizing the man who manifestly has the broadest support within the party at large? She told the truth about a guy with a 30% approval rating

Second, politics is all about compromise, isn't it? She is a moderate, for crissakes. Can't she compromise with her own caucus for the sake of accomplishing larger goals? Does she really think that she alone can stand and force Trump aside? I mean, if she really feels that strongly, why doesn't she resign and let someone else take over? She told the truth about a guy with a 30% approval rating.

Third, virtue postures self destructive when they're about ego. She's making her leadership post all about HER, about her views which are a very small minority of opinion in the party and out of step with her constituents at home and her caucus in Washington. If she just shut her mouth about Trump and started working on the many things that she and her caucus are in agreement with, she wouldn't be losing her post. but she can't do THAT. She has to make sure all her friends know she is NOT going to work with that very bad man. She told the truth about a guy with a 30% approval rating

The real headline here is that the shrinking number of establishment neverTrumpers simply think they're too good to play team ball. She told the truth about a guy with a 30% approval rating It's the conservative base that is supposed to bite down and swallow things they don't like being forced upon them by their betters. And they can't bar told the truth? Moderate/establishment types actually compromise within their own party? Oh no. That's beneath them. So just repeat the Big Lie because the Party can't tell the truth. They have to be principled when it comes to moderating conservatism! It's simply amazing that neverTrumpers cannot see that all they're doing is doubling down on their own vanity rather than playing team ball to accomplish a conservative agenda. They cannot imagine that they're wrong, that the party has left them. So they rent themselves out as mouthpieces of of forces who will never cooperate with them, never willingly accede to any conservative policies, and undermine chances to actually accomplish things they claim to want to achieve.

He has 60% support in the GOP primary, and nearly all who don't support him in the primary will support him in the general. That's a very strong base of support.

Dude, Lindsay Graham was spot on - the fight is over for who owns the GOP. If Trump runs, he WILL be the nominee. And given the turds Biden is throwing in the punchbowl, Trump will be hard to beat.

The only question is, are you going to play ball with us or with them?
(the 3rd party route is merely a virtue posture that says "I have no dick."
Canon
whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

BearFan33 said:

Redbrickbear said:

I liked Trump.

Yep

He has 60% support in the GOP primary, and nearly all who don't support him in the primary will support him in the general. That's a very strong base of support.

Dude, Lindsay Graham was spot on - the fight is over for who owns the GOP. If Trump runs, he WILL be the nominee. And given the turds Biden is throwing in the punchbowl, Trump will be hard to beat.

The only question is, are you going to play ball with us or with them?
(the 3rd party route is merely a virtue posture that says "I have no dick."

If Trump endorsed her and made sure she had power, she'd take her 'principles' right into his back pocket.
Dnicknames
It is ironic that Liz Cheney is set to be ousted from House GOP leadership for calling out Trump on the insurrection and election lies, while on this same day Trump's own former Defense Secretary - Chris Miller - will tell Congress that Trump played a role in inciting the insurrection.

Just something to ponder.
Canon
She's gone. Bye!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9570721/Liz-Cheney-Republicans-remove-Wyoming-representative-leadership.html
J.R.
BearFan33 said:

J.R. said:

So....You think Trump really won the election and it was stolen? Please answer directly.
Guy Noir
The GOP Leadership is fracturing itself. They are losing support due to this obsession with MAGA. I do not think Trump could get elected in the future.
C. Jordan
J.R. said:

Good post.

Apparently, the "gentleman's agreement" in the GOP was you don't have to support the Big Lie, but you don't get to oppose it. Cheney opposed it.

The GOP has become a personality cult where the litmus test is support of the cult leader: Trump. Obviously, policy means little when you boot out a bona-fide conservative and replace her with a moderate.

I think we have only two possibilities ahead of us. Either Trump prevails and we lose democracy, or the GOP crashes and burns.

I think Cheney is operating out of principle, but I also think she's calculated Trump will lead the GOP over the cliff and she'll be there to pick up the pieces.

It could be a good bet, because under Trump's leadership the GOP lost the House, the White House, and the Senate. Still, the cult persists in the hope that democracy can be thwarted and Trump can prevail.
C. Jordan
Guy Noir said:

The GOP Leadership is fracturing itself. They are losing support due to this obsession with MAGA. I do not think Trump could get elected in the future.

I'm with you, but I wouldn't bet on that. I've seen calculations that if only about 50,000 people voted differently in just the right places, Trump would be still be president. The Trump Cult (formerly known as the GOP) is trying to restrict Democratic voting enough so they can thwart Democracy and prevail. With about 70% of Republicans believing the lie that Biden was elected fraudulently, they could possibly prevail. This is why preserving voting rights is so critical.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.