Liz Cheney: The GOP is at a turning point. History is watching us

57,178 Views | 1080 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Oldbear83
TexasScientist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Flake: No greater offense than honesty in today's Republican Party

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/553034-flake-no-greater-offense-than-honesty-in-todays-republican-party

Former Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) is calling out GOP lawmakers for their plan to oust Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) from the party's leadership in the House, arguing that "today there is no greater offense than honesty" among Republicans.

"On Wednesday, Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) will most likely lose her leadership post within the House Republican Conference, not because she has been untruthful. Rather, she will lose her position because she is refusing to play her assigned role in propagating the 'big lie' that the 2020 election was stolen from Donald Trump," Flake wrote in an op-ed published in The Washington Post.

"Cheney is more dedicated to the long-term health of our constitutional system than she is to assuaging the former president's shattered ego, and for her integrity she may well pay with her career," he continued.

“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
RD2WINAGNBEAR86
Jeff Flake. LOL!!! There is a reason he is referred to as FORMER Senator Jeff Flake. Hope him and Liz do well in the private sector and rake in some sizeable speaking fees.
"Never underestimate Joe's ability to **** things up!"

-- Barack Obama
Osodecentx
whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

BearFan33 said:

Redbrickbear said:

I liked Trump.

Kicking out Liz because she doe not like Trump is stupid.

Kicking out Liz because she is a piece of **** war monger and corporate money worshiping ***** is absolutely correct.
Liz is a never trump idiot that falls for and participates in false media narratives. She can be in congress if her constituents want her, but in no way should be in any kind of leadership position.
I wonder how many of the same posters who are arguing that Liz Cheney is a "war monger" who wants to keep us involved in endless conflicts also were all for the invasions post 9/11, argued Obama was an idiot for continuing the Iraq drawdown and think that maintaining stability in the Mid-East is of vital importance for energy reasons and to help Israel?

Also amazing that people who continually whine about politicians not sticking to their guns based on careerism will castigate someone for taking a position that is obviously the opposite of careerism.
Yep
is it really? Is she really going to get hurt if she loses her seat? is she really in it for Wyoming?

She lands on her feet no matter what. It's the people of Wyoming who finally get someone who represents them, and the GOP caucus in Congress who gets a leader who knows how to team-build rather than virtue posture.
The problem is the GOP not tolerating differences of opinion. If you don't line up with Trump you're out
That's a pretty flimsy straw man which fails on multiple levels.

First it's about leadership: Caucus leaders cannot set themselves up as a vocal and unwavering opponent of the leader of the party. She couldn't hold onto her job if she criticized McCarthy vociferously, so why should she get to do that for criticizing the man who manifestly has the broadest support within the party at large? She told the truth about a guy with a 30% approval rating

Second, politics is all about compromise, isn't it? She is a moderate, for crissakes. Can't she compromise with her own caucus for the sake of accomplishing larger goals? Does she really think that she alone can stand and force Trump aside? I mean, if she really feels that strongly, why doesn't she resign and let someone else take over? She told the truth about a guy with a 30% approval rating.

Third, virtue postures self destructive when they're about ego. She's making her leadership post all about HER, about her views which are a very small minority of opinion in the party and out of step with her constituents at home and her caucus in Washington. If she just shut her mouth about Trump and started working on the many things that she and her caucus are in agreement with, she wouldn't be losing her post. but she can't do THAT. She has to make sure all her friends know she is NOT going to work with that very bad man. She told the truth about a guy with a 30% approval rating

The real headline here is that the shrinking number of establishment neverTrumpers simply think they're too good to play team ball. She told the truth about a guy with a 30% approval rating It's the conservative base that is supposed to bite down and swallow things they don't like being forced upon them by their betters. And they can't bar told the truth? Moderate/establishment types actually compromise within their own party? Oh no. That's beneath them. So just repeat the Big Lie because the Party can't tell the truth. They have to be principled when it comes to moderating conservatism! It's simply amazing that neverTrumpers cannot see that all they're doing is doubling down on their own vanity rather than playing team ball to accomplish a conservative agenda. They cannot imagine that they're wrong, that the party has left them. So they rent themselves out as mouthpieces of of forces who will never cooperate with them, never willingly accede to any conservative policies, and undermine chances to actually accomplish things they claim to want to achieve.

She told the truth about a guy with a 30% approval rating

The only question is, are you going to play ball with us or with them?
Neither of you. I'll have to wait til you guys sink on the Good Ship Trump and hope there is enough left of the country to build something back.
Go threaten the little children
Booray
C. Jordan said:

Guy Noir said:

The GOP Leadership is fracturing itself. They are losing support due to this obsession with MAGA. I do not think Trump could get elected in the future.

I'm with you, but I wouldn't bet on that. I've seen calculations that if only about 50,000 people voted differently in just the right places, Trump would be still be president. The Trump Cult (formerly known as the GOP) is trying to restrict Democratic voting enough so they can thwart Democracy and prevail. With about 70% of Republicans believing the lie that Biden was elected fraudulently, they could possibly prevail. This is why preserving voting rights is so critical.
Mitt Romney's tweet was right-this stuff does not gain any voters, but can lose them.

The more crazy Trump injects into the party, the more he loses independents and suburban voters for the party. They hope to offset that loss by decreasing the Democratic advantage in minorities but I think it is a losing bet.

Oldbear83
Funny how the Trump haters demand we all condemn the 45th President, or be falsely accused of being a 'cult follower', 'unamerican', or whatever slimy epithet the haters can dredge up.

Trump has left, but did some good worthy of respect. The same cannot be said for anyone named Cheney, be it the current Congressperson or her aptly-named predecessor, "Dick".
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
TexasScientist
RD2WINAGNBEAR86 said:

Jeff Flake. LOL!!! There is a reason he is referred to as FORMER Senator Jeff Flake. Hope him and Liz do well in the private sector and rake in some sizeable speaking fees.
Yep. The reason is he speaks truth in the face of a cult controlled party. There is a reason Trump won in 2016 with less than the popular vote (against the likes of HRC). There is a reason Republicans lost governorships under Trump. There is a reason Republicans lost the House of Representatives. There is a reason Republicans lost the Senate. There is a reason Trump lost the popular vote in a record turnout for his opponent. There is a reason Republicans continue as a minority party. Four years under Trump - four decisive losses - House, Senate, governors, presidency. The reason is Trump. There is a reason he is referred to as FORMER President Trump.
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
Florda_mike
Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

BearFan33 said:

Redbrickbear said:

I liked Trump.

Kicking out Liz because she doe not like Trump is stupid.

Kicking out Liz because she is a piece of **** war monger and corporate money worshiping ***** is absolutely correct.
Liz is a never trump idiot that falls for and participates in false media narratives. She can be in congress if her constituents want her, but in no way should be in any kind of leadership position.
I wonder how many of the same posters who are arguing that Liz Cheney is a "war monger" who wants to keep us involved in endless conflicts also were all for the invasions post 9/11, argued Obama was an idiot for continuing the Iraq drawdown and think that maintaining stability in the Mid-East is of vital importance for energy reasons and to help Israel?

Also amazing that people who continually whine about politicians not sticking to their guns based on careerism will castigate someone for taking a position that is obviously the opposite of careerism.
Yep
is it really? Is she really going to get hurt if she loses her seat? is she really in it for Wyoming?

She lands on her feet no matter what. It's the people of Wyoming who finally get someone who represents them, and the GOP caucus in Congress who gets a leader who knows how to team-build rather than virtue posture.
The problem is the GOP not tolerating differences of opinion. If you don't line up with Trump you're out
That's a pretty flimsy straw man which fails on multiple levels.

First it's about leadership: Caucus leaders cannot set themselves up as a vocal and unwavering opponent of the leader of the party. She couldn't hold onto her job if she criticized McCarthy vociferously, so why should she get to do that for criticizing the man who manifestly has the broadest support within the party at large? She told the truth about a guy with a 30% approval rating

Second, politics is all about compromise, isn't it? She is a moderate, for crissakes. Can't she compromise with her own caucus for the sake of accomplishing larger goals? Does she really think that she alone can stand and force Trump aside? I mean, if she really feels that strongly, why doesn't she resign and let someone else take over? She told the truth about a guy with a 30% approval rating.

Third, virtue postures self destructive when they're about ego. She's making her leadership post all about HER, about her views which are a very small minority of opinion in the party and out of step with her constituents at home and her caucus in Washington. If she just shut her mouth about Trump and started working on the many things that she and her caucus are in agreement with, she wouldn't be losing her post. but she can't do THAT. She has to make sure all her friends know she is NOT going to work with that very bad man. She told the truth about a guy with a 30% approval rating

The real headline here is that the shrinking number of establishment neverTrumpers simply think they're too good to play team ball. She told the truth about a guy with a 30% approval rating It's the conservative base that is supposed to bite down and swallow things they don't like being forced upon them by their betters. And they can't bar told the truth? Moderate/establishment types actually compromise within their own party? Oh no. That's beneath them. So just repeat the Big Lie because the Party can't tell the truth. They have to be principled when it comes to moderating conservatism! It's simply amazing that neverTrumpers cannot see that all they're doing is doubling down on their own vanity rather than playing team ball to accomplish a conservative agenda. They cannot imagine that they're wrong, that the party has left them. So they rent themselves out as mouthpieces of of forces who will never cooperate with them, never willingly accede to any conservative policies, and undermine chances to actually accomplish things they claim to want to achieve.

She told the truth about a guy with a 30% approval rating

If this ***** Oso ain't spreading fear she's spreading fake polls

Screw you ya fear monger basement dweller
Booray
Oldbear83 said:

Funny how the Trump haters demand we all condemn the 45th President, or be falsely accused of being a 'cult follower', 'unamerican', or whatever slimy epithet the haters can dredge up.

Trump has left, but did some good worthy of respect. The same cannot be said for anyone named Cheney, be it the current Congressperson or her aptly-named predecessor, "Dick".

Liz Cheney supported nearly every policy Trump offered so "he did some good" but she didn't makes zero sense.

And Liz would stop talking about Trump if Trump would stop talking about his butthurt over the 2020 election.
Booray
Booray said:

C. Jordan said:

Guy Noir said:

The GOP Leadership is fracturing itself. They are losing support due to this obsession with MAGA. I do not think Trump could get elected in the future.

I'm with you, but I wouldn't bet on that. I've seen calculations that if only about 50,000 people voted differently in just the right places, Trump would be still be president. The Trump Cult (formerly known as the GOP) is trying to restrict Democratic voting enough so they can thwart Democracy and prevail. With about 70% of Republicans believing the lie that Biden was elected fraudulently, they could possibly prevail. This is why preserving voting rights is so critical.
Mitt Romney's tweet was right-this stuff does not gain any voters, but can lose them.

The more crazy Trump injects into the party, the more he loses independents and suburban voters for the party. They hope to offset that loss by decreasing the Democratic advantage in minorities but I think it is a losing bet.

Of course, all that assumes we remain a functioning democracy
Florda_mike
Dnicknames said:

It is ironic that Liz Cheney is set to be ousted from House GOP leadership for calling out Trump on the insurrection and election lies, while on this same day Trump's own former Defense Secretary - Chris Miller - will tell Congress that Trump played a role in inciting the insurrection.

Just something to ponder.

Something your idiot ass could ponder is both are Deep State and RINO(demoncrats) like you that only backstab Trump!

Stfu
Florda_mike
Guy Noir said:

Idiot here ^^^
Sam Lowry
Canon said:

TexasScientist said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

I'm shocked a Republican is saying this. Standing on principle is something I thought the GOP abandoned long ago. Valuing America might not be popular on either side, but at least here is 1 politician who does.
And we will cast her out for calling out Trump

If she's cast out, it will be for putting personality above policy, largely in a bid to stem the loss of power establishment republicans, like her, Romney, etc., were experiencing. She sided with Democrats to take down her internal political party opponents by casting them as immoral....which is like a cobra chastising a rattle snake for being poisonous.

The key takeaway is that she sided with Democrats. She sided with a truly antiAmerican party to try and shore up her power. She needs to go.
The key take away is she has sided with truth over propitiation to Trump. She chose character and principle, something rare today.

LC isn't principled. Establishment Republicans like her and Romney have no principles. They act to protect and grow their own power. The last administration didn't upset them because Trump is a coarse jerk. It upset them because they were losing power. She sided with Democrats in an unconstitutional power play. She has no principles.
In Trump's GOP, one must avoid even the appearance of integrity.
Oldbear83
Booray said:

Oldbear83 said:

Liz Cheney supported nearly every policy Trump offered so "he did some good" but she didn't makes zero sense.

And Liz would stop talking about Trump if Trump would stop talking about his butthurt over the 2020 election.
Liz has zero reason to bring up Trump other than her ego.

And that's annoyingly obvious.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
BearTruth13
Cheney getting replaced by a NY moderate. Good job GOP!
PartyBear
She is a kool aid drinker and no longer a moderate if she is about to be installed by the folks trying to install her.
Mothra
I suspect if both the Trump supporters and the anti-Trump Republicans stopped talking about Trump, this whole issue would go away. But Liz's decision to continue to bring him up every chance she gets doesn't help her or the party. Neither side should require homogeneity. I think that is a fact that both sides miss, but especially the never-Trumpers, like Liz, Mitt and Flake. They seem to want to root out MAGA instead of letting this process play out, and in the process will fracture the party. The tea party did not fracutre the party, so why should this?

Both sides just need to let it go. Trump is a loser. He will be 75 in a month. Unless Biden completely screws up the economy (something that I didn't think was possible a month ago, but now I wonder), I don't see any way that Trump ever gets reelected.
Booray
Mothra said:

I suspect if both the Trump supporters and the anti-Trump Republicans stopped talking about Trump, this whole issue would go away. But Liz's decision to continue to bring him up every chance she gets doesn't help her or the party. Neither side should require homogeneity. I think that is a fact that both sides miss, but especially the never-Trumpers, like Liz, Mitt and Flake. They seem to want to root out MAGA instead of letting this process play out, and in the process will fracture the party. The tea party did not fracutre the party, so why should this?

Both sides just need to let it go. Trump is a loser. He will be 75 in a month. Unless Biden completely screws up the economy (something that I didn't think was possible a month ago, but now I wonder), I don't see any way that Trump ever gets reelected.
All sides will let it go when Trump stops claiming the election was stolen. Its catnip for the chattering class.

There is one person in the world who can get us to move on to the next thing. Unfortunately, that person will not do what is best for the country.
C. Jordan
Booray said:

C. Jordan said:

Guy Noir said:

Yep.
Mothra
Booray said:

Mothra said:

All sides will let it go when Trump stops claiming the election was stolen. Its catnip for the chattering class.

There is one person in the world who can get us to move on to the next thing. Unfortunately, that person will not do what is best for the country.
Ignore him. Let it go. Who cares what he says? He barely gets any play now days anyway.

Like I said, I suspect if the party would move on instead of trying to root out those who don't conform to a certain way of thought, the Repubs will be fine. Hell, the Dems are doing their best to wreck the economy. The wind is at our backs.
Osodecentx
Mothra said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

Ignore him. Let it go. Who cares what he says? He barely gets any play now days anyway.
Republican Congressmen care
Ghostrider
Mothra said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

Like I said, I suspect if the party would move on instead of trying to root out those who don't conform to a certain way of thought, the Repubs will be fine. Hell, the Dems are doing their best to wreck the economy. The wind is at our backs.
It is amazing to see what the mean orange man that is rude on Twitter did to these people. They can't get over their TDS.
Booray
Mothra said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

70% of Republicans say they believe the election was stolen. Its pretty hard to ignore that.
Osodecentx
Booray said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

70% of Republicans say they believe the election was stolen. Its pretty hard to ignore that.
Link? (Just hoping it is a shoddy poll)
Ghostrider
Booray said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

It looks like it may have been.

Do you think Russia is the reason Trump won?
Osodecentx
Ghostrider said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

No
Booray
Ghostrider said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

No and No.

The election was in no way fraudulent; that is just ridiculous.
Booray
Osodecentx said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

Link? (Just hoping it is a shoddy poll)
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/11/09/republicans-free-fair-elections-435488
Mothra
Osodecentx said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

Republican Congressmen care
Oh, I know. That's my point.
Mothra
Booray said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

Not really. It's the media and Never-Trumpers that keep wringing their hands over polls. They're the one who continue to make this news.
Booray
Mothra said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

Not really. It's the media and Never-Trumpers that keep wringing their hands over polls. They're the one who continue to make this news.
Having 30% of the country lose faith in the election process is newsworthy.
Mothra
Booray said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

It's old news, just like Trump.
C. Jordan
Wow. Didn't know they went to the basement to have a closed meeting to take a hurried voice vote.

Shows how shameful their action was.
C. Jordan
Mothra said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

I wish he were. But the fact that GOP reps just kicked out Cheney for the crime of speaking out against Trump says otherwise.

The bottom line dynamic is this: A great majority of reps are in "safe" districts. This means Dems have no meaningful chance of winning. So their main fear is getting "primaried," having someone more conservative run against them. They know that Trump has at least a 70% approval rating with the GOP base and that they turn out to vote. So if they want to get reelected, they need Trump's approval.
Ghostrider
Booray said:

Ghostrider said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

No and No.

The election was in no way fraudulent; that is just ridiculous.
I think almost everyone will say their was fraud and voting irregularities (maybe won't post it but they know). What is not agreed upon is if those fraudulent votes would have changed the outcome.
Mothra
C. Jordan said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

Booray said:

Mothra said:

I wish he were. But the fact that GOP reps just kicked out Cheney for the crime of speaking out against Trump says otherwise.

The bottom line dynamic is this: A great majority of reps are in "safe" districts. This means Dems have no meaningful chance of winning. So their main fear is getting "primaried," having someone more conservative run against them. They know that Trump has at least a 70% approval rating with the GOP base and that they turn out to vote. So if they want to get reelected, they need Trump's approval.
50% of Republicans support the GOP over Trump. I've seen no poll that says 70% approve of Trump or believe the election was stolen, so I am not sure where you are getting those numbers.

https://www.axios.com/trump-approval-rating-republicans-21d8fa7e-8cee-401f-96eb-85643a422082.html

Emotions will die down over the coming months and years. But we can count on lefties and the media to keep bringing this up on a consistent basis.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.