Liz Cheney: The GOP is at a turning point. History is watching us

58,311 Views | 1080 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Oldbear83
TexasScientist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

Cheney and her ilk are wrong on a lot of things, but they're 100% right on this. This is completely unacceptable for anyone who claims to love the Constitution and the rule of law.

Adopting the rhetoric of your opponent doesn't impress anyone. It just emboldens your opponent and undermines your credibility among your natural allies.

The rhetoric of constitutionalism was not always unique to the left. It's the abandonment of our own principles that undermines our credibility.

A former president should not be undermining an election six months after the fact, especially not without evidence. It is obscene.
Exactly.
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
Waco1947
Canon said:

She needs to go. She objected to personality and ignored the damage she was doing to policy.
Any evidence for your conclusion?
whiterock
Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

I'm shocked a Republican is saying this. Standing on principle is something I thought the GOP abandoned long ago. Valuing America might not be popular on either side, but at least here is 1 politician who does.
And we will cast her out for calling out Trump
As well we should. If she's too good to play team ball, she's not right for leadership.
Waco1947
Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Forest Bueller said:

Politicians gonna politic.

There is virtually no straight up national level politician.

They are self enriching scum besides a few exceptions.

Liz Cheney is one of the few exceptions apparently. There is no way she is doing this to enhance her power or enrich herself. This is purely a stand on principal.

Yet many who say "we just want politicians to be straight with us" and "they are all out for themselves" vilify this politician for being straight with us and taking a stand against her personal interest.

The lesson, as always, is we get the government we deserve.
I see you're a man of words, not actions.

She will support forever wars and selling out to the highest bidder despite telling you she won't.
Liz stands for truth against Trump's lie. Your notion of endless war may be right but that's a red herring. The issue is the big Lie
TexasScientist
Purging Liz Cheney ~ WSJ

GOP leaders shouldn't have to lie about 2020 to keep their job.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/purging-liz-cheney-11620168273?mod=searchresults_pos5&page=1

This should be a hopeful moment for House Republicans. While they're playing defense in the minority for now, their prospects for picking up the five net seats they need to regain the majority in 2022 are excellent. That is, unless they devolve into internal brawling over the 2020 election.

Yet that's precisely what they seem to be doing as some Members try to oust Wyoming Rep. Liz Cheney from the GOP House leadership. Ms. Cheney easily survived an earlier effort to dump her, 145-61, after she was one of 10 House Republicans to vote to impeach Donald Trump after the events of Jan. 6.

But she continues to rankle some in the GOP House conference by refusing to go along with Mr. Trump's demand that Republicans agree that the 2020 election was stolen. On Monday Mr. Trump issued a statement that "The Fraudulent Presidential Election of 2020 will be, from this day forth, known as THE BIG LIE!"

Ms. Cheney responded on Twitter : "The 2020 presidential election was not stolen. Anyone who claims it was is spreading THE BIG LIE, turning their back on the rule of law, and poisoning our democratic system."

This has angered some in the House GOP, and on Tuesday Axios caught House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy on a hot mic saying "I've had it with her." But Mr. McCarthy knows Ms. Cheney is right. The election wasn't stolen, yet Mr. Trump wants an endorsement of his stolen claim to be a litmus test for every Republican candidate. He's the one who wants to refight his losing campaign.

The better part of political prudence would be for Ms. Cheney to ignore Mr. Trump. But Mr. Trump won't ignore her. He issued four statements on Monday and three of the four were attacks on fellow Republicans, including one on Ms. Cheney. She may be ousted because she is daring to tell the truth to GOP votersand at personal political risk.

Even as President Biden proposes the largest expansion of government in decades, Mr. Trump is spending his energy settling scores in his own party. He's thrown his loyal Vice President over the side because Mike Pence refused to pull an unconstitutional stunt to invalidate the pro forma Electoral College count on Jan. 6. As ever with Mr. Trump, everything is always about him.

Republicans will look foolish, or worse, to swing voters if they refight 2020 in 2022. They can truthfully say that Democrats used lawsuits to exploit the pandemic to change the election rules in some states. They can also say Democratic judges on the Pennsylvania Supreme Court let Democrats get away with it. Democrats did a better job of exploiting the pandemic election rules than did the GOP.

But there's no evidence any of this was decisive, as Mr. Trump lost the popular vote in a rout and the Electoral College by a similar margin to what he won in 2016. Mr. Trump lost even as Republicans gained 12 seats in the House. The election was close, but not as close as others in American history.

Republicans should find a way to speak this truth to voters in 2022and quickly turn to running on an agenda for the future that will check Mr. Biden and his cradle-to-grave entitlement state. Purging Liz Cheney for honesty would diminish the party.
“It is impossible to get a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on him not understanding.” ~ Upton Sinclair
Waco1947
Guy Noir said:

I think we as a country would do well to ask our politicians to vote each issue on its merits alone. Many of the people vote strictly party lines. The facts are that the protestors on Jan 6 crossed a line that should not have been crossed. They did this with encouragement from President Trump. This was a serious threat to the peaceful transfer of power between elections. I normally vote Republican and I support the impeachment vote by Liz Cheney.

Along with that issue I believe it is important to make an effort to confirm integrity in elections and the voting in future elections. The "voter suppression" claims are without substance when you consider the amount of mail-in ballots and early voting options being given to voters. A picture id and a confirmation of citizenship is not unreasonable.
No voter suppression is a gop policy and the demographic changes in the south prove it. White backlash is every more desperate. The South proves it time and time again.
Doc Holliday
Waco1947 said:

Doc Holliday said:

Booray said:

Forest Bueller said:

Politicians gonna politic.

There is virtually no straight up national level politician.

They are self enriching scum besides a few exceptions.

Liz Cheney is one of the few exceptions apparently. There is no way she is doing this to enhance her power or enrich herself. This is purely a stand on principal.

Yet many who say "we just want politicians to be straight with us" and "they are all out for themselves" vilify this politician for being straight with us and taking a stand against her personal interest.

The lesson, as always, is we get the government we deserve.
I see you're a man of words, not actions.

She will support forever wars and selling out to the highest bidder despite telling you she won't.
Liz stands for truth against Trump's lie. Your notion of endless war may be right but that's a red herring. The issue is the big Lie
Why are you bringing up Trump?
TexasScientist
whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

I'm shocked a Republican is saying this. Standing on principle is something I thought the GOP abandoned long ago. Valuing America might not be popular on either side, but at least here is 1 politician who does.
As well we should. If she's too good to play team ball, she's not right for leadership.
Team ball? There is no team with Trump. It's all about him and where you fit into his political cartel. No platform, no real and consistent policy, no character or prinicples, no loyalty. Just fielty to Trump and his mafia like tactics.
Osodecentx
Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

If she's cast out, it will be for putting personality above policy, largely in a bid to stem the loss of power establishment republicans, like her, Romney, etc., were experiencing. She sided with Democrats to take down her internal political party opponents by casting them as immoral....which is like a cobra chastising a rattle snake for being poisonous.

The key takeaway is that she sided with Democrats. She sided with a truly antiAmerican party to try and shore up her power. She needs to go.
She sided with the Constitution, not party. You put loyalty to Trump above all principle
curtpenn
C. Jordan said:

Canon said:

She needs to go. She objected to personality and ignored the damage she was doing to policy.
So are you saying inciting insurrection is a matter of personality, not policy?

Really? There is no real policy with Trump. There is only personality. Conservatives who really care about policy, like Cheney, know he's an utter failure at it.

I agree with Cheney on practically nothing, but admire her moral courage. While McCarthy and his ilk went groveling to Trump after he incited violent insurrection, she stood fast. Sadly, Republicans are going to punish her for telling the truth. It's so dangerous for one man to have such power over people like the Republican base. He's turned the party into a personality cult.

Trump is going to go down in history as one of our worst presidents and the most dangerous. His toadies in congress are going to go down as gutless cowards who tried to hold on to power by degrading democracy.
Jan 6 was not an insurrection. No need for the big lie. The regressives embody degrading democracy. It's what they do. It's what democracy carried to its logical extreme does. There's a reason we have a republic and the left hates it so.
Guy Noir
muddybrazos said:

TechDawgMc said:

Canon said:

She objected to character, which is a different thing.
Her Dad is responsible for the deaths of literally a million people so she should pipe down with the call outs.
First: That is a pretty outlandish statement. Dick Cheney and the Bush Administration were defending the USA against terrorist activity. There were some pretty serious fears of terrorism after 9/11.

Second: Liz Cheney should not be called guilty because actions of her father, especially when she did something right (voting to impeach Trump).
curtpenn
Waco1947 said:

Guy Noir said:

I think we as a country would do well to ask our politicians to vote each issue on its merits alone. Many of the people vote strictly party lines. The facts are that the protestors on Jan 6 crossed a line that should not have been crossed. They did this with encouragement from President Trump. This was a serious threat to the peaceful transfer of power between elections. I normally vote Republican and I support the impeachment vote by Liz Cheney.

Along with that issue I believe it is important to make an effort to confirm integrity in elections and the voting in future elections. The "voter suppression" claims are without substance when you consider the amount of mail-in ballots and early voting options being given to voters. A picture id and a confirmation of citizenship is not unreasonable.
No voter suppression is a gop policy and the demographic changes in the south prove it. White backlash is every more desperate. The South proves it time and time again.
Why shouldn't white people engage in identity politics in the same way the left does?
whiterock
Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

Cheney and her ilk are wrong on a lot of things, but they're 100% right on this. This is completely unacceptable for anyone who claims to love the Constitution and the rule of law.

Adopting the rhetoric of your opponent doesn't impress anyone. It just emboldens your opponent and undermines your credibility among your natural allies.

The rhetoric of constitutionalism was not always unique to the left. It's the abandonment of our own principles that undermines our credibility.

A former president should not be undermining an election six months after the fact, especially not without evidence. It is obscene.
again, you are adopting the rhetoric of your opponent: he did not, and is not, undermining an election. He is keeping the GOP focused on severely flawed state laws that allowed our opponents to steal an election. He is merely playing the same exact games Democrats played, only better. That's why they're freaking out. It's working. Laws are being amended to close loopholes thru which Democrats poured hundreds of thousands of fraudulent ballots.

Dems do not tolerate Cheney-esque rebellion. Literally it never happens. They stay united. yes, they're united behind incredibly bad ideas, but that's why they're winning. They stay united. We simply cannot win when we have elected officials who put their own sensibilities before the interests of the people they represent, and the caucus they are elected to lead. There is absolutely nothing principled at all about what she's doing. She's putting her own vanity uber alles. Man, politics is one of an exceedingly small number of professions where compromising of ones principles is considered a virtue. And she is unwilling to compromise with an overwhelming majority of her own party. How ironic. A moderate who is willing to compromise.

TexasScientist
whiterock said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

Pence played team ball with Trump and look what it got him.
muddybrazos
Guy Noir said:

muddybrazos said:

TechDawgMc said:

Canon said:

Her Dad is responsible for the deaths of literally a million people so she should pipe down with the call outs.
First: That is a pretty outlandish statement. Dick Cheney and the Bush Administration were defending the USA against terrorist activity. There were some pretty serious fears of terrorism after 9/11.

Second: Liz Cheney should not be called guilty because actions of her father, especially when she did something right (voting to impeach Trump).
BULL F"N SH!!!IT. Iraq had no wmd's and the Bush admin knew as much. Israel lied to get us to do their dirty work and hundreds of thousands of Iraqis died not to mention we have many American soldiers that died for those lies and many more that are wounded with PTSD. That lie of a war had nothing to do with protecting American freedom and all it did was create instability in the region which led to more instability with ISIS which Barry & McCain armed. 20 years of wars and trillions of dollars later what do we have to show for it all?
Guy Noir
Waco1947 said:

Guy Noir said:

Show me where a US Citizen was prevented from voting. That problem can be addressed at the problem point.

Please confirm that the The high voter turnout number of the last election consisted of live US Citizens that voted only once.

Gerrymandering does occur, but this is not voter suppression. Gerrymandering is done by both parties.
TexasScientist
Elise Stefanik, GOP conference chair favorite, voted with Trump less than Liz Cheney

Stefanik, prolific fundraiser for fellow Republicans, has been ginning up support for a challenge to Cheney

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cheney-stefanik-republicans-house-votes-trump-conservative

Rep. Elise Stefanik, the favorite to replace Rep. Liz Cheney as the House GOP conference chair, voted with former President Donald Trump less than Cheney and has lower voting scores from top conservative organizations.

According to a tool on the FiveThirtyEight website on "Tracking Congress In The Age Of Trump," Cheney, R-Wyo., voted with Trump 92.9% of the time compared to 77.7% for Stefanik, R-N.Y.

The conservative group Heritage Action, meanwhile, gave Cheney a 91% score compared to just 56% for Stefanik during the most recent Congress. And the American Conservative Union, which hosted the extraordinarily pro-Trump Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) earlier this year, gives Cheney a 78% rating compared to just 44% for Stefanik.
OsoCoreyell
Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

She is exactly right
She is a cancer of her own type.

Not at all what we need.
There is a cancer, but it isn't Liz Cheney.
OsoCoreyell
curtpenn said:

C. Jordan said:

Canon said:

Really? There is no real policy with Trump. There is only personality. Conservatives who really care about policy, like Cheney, know he's an utter failure at it.

I agree with Cheney on practically nothing, but admire her moral courage. While McCarthy and his ilk went groveling to Trump after he incited violent insurrection, she stood fast. Sadly, Republicans are going to punish her for telling the truth. It's so dangerous for one man to have such power over people like the Republican base. He's turned the party into a personality cult.

Trump is going to go down in history as one of our worst presidents and the most dangerous. His toadies in congress are going to go down as gutless cowards who tried to hold on to power by degrading democracy.
Jan 6 was not an insurrection. No need for the big lie. The regressives embody degrading democracy. It's what they do. It's what democracy carried to its logical extreme does. There's a reason we have a republic and the left hates it so.
You can call it banana cream pie for all I care; It doesn't change the facts of what happened. Some numb-skulls who don't subscribe to reality were whipped into a frenzy based on falsehoods and stormed the US Capitol Building. There are a lot of reasons it shouldn't have happened, including a darn-near criminal reduction in the protective forces, but it still happened.

I am beffuddled by people that will whine about what's happening in Seattle and Portland and gloss over what happened at the Capitol. Just because the Dems lied and schemed about Russian collusion and all of that BS doesn't excuse what happened.
Osodecentx
muddybrazos said:

Guy Noir said:

muddybrazos said:

TechDawgMc said:

Canon said:

BULL F"N SH!!!IT. Iraq had no wmd's and the Bush admin knew as much. Not true. CIA said WMDs were there
Bush kept Clinton's CIA director. CIA made an honest (and disastrous) mistake.
muddybrazos
Osodecentx said:

muddybrazos said:

Guy Noir said:

muddybrazos said:

TechDawgMc said:

Canon said:

BULL F"N SH!!!IT. Iraq had no wmd's and the Bush admin knew as much. Not true. CIA said WMDs were there
Bush kept Clinton's CIA director. CIA made an honest (and disastrous) mistake.
I doubt it was a mistake. CIA says what they want to say to justify whatever it is they want to do.
Oldbear83
OsoCoreyell said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

She is exactly right

Not at all what we need.
Ohhhhhh, Liz is a cancer all right. Just because you like what she is saying, doe snot make it a good thing.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
Guy Noir
muddybrazos said:

Guy Noir said:

muddybrazos said:

TechDawgMc said:

Canon said:

BULL F"N SH!!!IT. Iraq had no wmd's and the Bush admin knew as much. Israel lied to get us to do their dirty work and hundreds of thousands of Iraqis died not to mention we have many American soldiers that died for those lies and many more that are wounded with PTSD. That lie of a war had nothing to do with protecting American freedom and all it did was create instability in the region which led to more instability with ISIS which Barry & McCain armed. 20 years of wars and trillions of dollars later what do we have to show for it all?
And how is this tied to Liz Cheney? I realize the her father was the Vice President, but she was not in office at the time.
Guy Noir
Oldbear83 said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

She is exactly right

Not at all what we need.
Ohhhhhh, Liz is a cancer all right. Just because you like what she is saying, doe snot make it a good thing.
What makes her a cancer? Other than voting her conscience on the Trump Impeachment, what has she done that is so wrong?
Osodecentx
Guy Noir said:

Oldbear83 said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

She is exactly right

Not at all what we need.
What makes her a cancer? Other than voting her conscience on the Trump Impeachment, what has she done that is so wrong?
She won't bow to Trump
curtpenn
OsoCoreyell said:

curtpenn said:

C. Jordan said:

Canon said:

You can call it banana cream pie for all I care; It doesn't change the facts of what happened. Some numb-skulls who don't subscribe to reality were whipped into a frenzy based on falsehoods and stormed the US Capitol Building. There are a lot of reasons it shouldn't have happened, including a darn-near criminal reduction in the protective forces, but it still happened.

I am beffuddled by people that will whine about what's happening in Seattle and Portland and gloss over what happened at the Capitol. Just because the Dems lied and schemed about Russian collusion and all of that BS doesn't excuse what happened.
I think of Jan 6 as something of a positive in the sense that regressives need to understand that some people will only tolerate so much. There is no denying the election was irregular regardless of how some dance around with semantics. The powers that be need to be reminded from time to time that they may be vulnerable and should moderate their behavior accordingly. This is reality.
OsoCoreyell
Oldbear83 said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

She is exactly right

Not at all what we need.
You said "doe snot." And that's funny.
OsoCoreyell
Oldbear83 said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

She is exactly right

Not at all what we need.
I like how she voted - more than Stefanik. Don't confuse me with Boehner (whom I loathe). And don't confuse Cheney with Boehner either.
Canon
Osodecentx said:

Canon said:

Osodecentx said:

Porteroso said:

If she's cast out, it will be for putting personality above policy, largely in a bid to stem the loss of power establishment republicans, like her, Romney, etc., were experiencing. She sided with Democrats to take down her internal political party opponents by casting them as immoral....which is like a cobra chastising a rattle snake for being poisonous.

The key takeaway is that she sided with Democrats. She sided with a truly antiAmerican party to try and shore up her power. She needs to go.
She sided with the Constitution, not party. You put loyalty to Trump above all principle

She did not. She sided with an outright lie. I'm loyal to no politician.
Oldbear83
Guy Noir said:

Oldbear83 said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

She is exactly right

Not at all what we need.
Her complaint is that Trump should not bring up the election, it's over and done right?

So she has no business making the argument public. She has a wide range of options to present her concerns, but instead, Cheney is making a very public noise.

She is a hypocrite at best, damaging the GOP so she can stamp her feet in front of the media show knows will take her side.
That which does not kill me, will try again and get nastier
HuMcK
Isn't it wild that simply acknowledging reality is "damaging the GOP"? Y'all are off the deep end, refusing to speak truth, even punishing it, because it pisses of a reality tv conman who would burn the country down to save his own hide.
TexasScientist
Oldbear83 said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

She is exactly right

Not at all what we need.
So what is it exactly you don't like about Liz? Voting record - ACU 78% (Stefanik 44%), Heritage Action 80% (Stefanik 48%). Or is it she dares to call Trump out for who he is?

The cancer is Trump and Liz is willing to publicaly make the diagnosis.
Doc Holliday
TexasScientist said:

Oldbear83 said:

OsoCoreyell said:

Oldbear83 said:

Osodecentx said:

She is exactly right

Not at all what we need.
So what is it exactly you don't like about Liz? Voting record - ACU 78% (Stefanik 44%), Heritage Action 80% (Stefanik 48%). Or is it she dares to call Trump out for who he is?

The cancer is Trump and Liz is willing to publicaly make the diagnosis.
You're on the side that media is on every single time. It never fails.

Maybe question that.

Liz partnered with pro-war Democrats who make up the majority of the House Armed Services Committee: she banned the use of money to withdraw Afghanistan troops last year...

She will gladly spill blood to climb the political ladder.

You don't think the DC making billions off war isn't propping her up in media in order to continue the process?
bear2be2
Guy Noir said:

Agreed. We'd be much better off if these politicians were more concerned with representing their constituents than making their party and corporate overlords happy.

Unfortunately, we refuse to hold them accountable to us because our primary process is a farce and voting across party lines is out of the question for most American voters. So we ***** and moan about the status quo while simultaneously ensuring it in perpetuity. It's madness.
Booray
whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

whiterock said:

Sam Lowry said:

he did not, and is not, undermining an election. He is keeping the GOP focused on severely flawed state laws that allowed our opponents to steal an election.

"Severely flawed state laws" does not sound like you are much of a federalist.

And that is not what this is about, anyway. The Cyber Ninjas in Arizona are currently trying to create evidence that Maricopa County counted votes that were smuggled in from Asia based on bamboo content in the ballots. The repeated efforts to call into question Georgia and to cast that state's Republican Governor and Secretary of State into political hell come from their refusal to make up vote fraud stories after two recounts demonstrated that no fraud existed. Sydney Powell and Rudy Giuliani ran around trying to convince people the spirit of Hugo Chavez infected the Dominion voting machines.

The Big Lie Trump and his acolytes is spreading has zero to do with allowing mail in ballots during the pandemic. It is a carnival of tin foil that the current GOP either tolerates for fear of Trump or actively uses as a way to restrict voting in the future to drive down turnout. The downside is that we are losing faith in our elections which is a necessary condition for authoritarians to take control

It is dangerous and that is why Liz Cheney is taking a stand.

I enjoy posting on here and usually come to an appreciation of, if not agreement with, the conservative side of things through the argument raised by posters like you. On this issue, however, if one professes not to see the danger of what Trump has done (not is doing-the genie is out of the bottle), one is being either foolish or treasonous. IMHO.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.