Football
Sponsored by

BU fball players investigated for sexual assault

107,130 Views | 687 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by DioNoZeus
Chanceux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
witchmo said:

With the report that the 2019 talent is so deep in Texas, shuck these guys and use the 'ships for what is going to be a smaller class of recruits.

Needs to be some serious discussions with the women at BU also...none of this happens in a vacuum, especially a sober one.
A sober guy and a drunk girl equals rape. A drunk guy and a drunk girl equals rape. One thing is not like the other. I imagine the majority of cases are the second situation which is why it isn't easy to sort through these matters.
MilliVanilli
Chanceux said:

witchmo said:

With the report that the 2019 talent is so deep in Texas, shuck these guys and use the 'ships for what is going to be a smaller class of recruits.

Needs to be some serious discussions with the women at BU also...none of this happens in a vacuum, especially a sober one.
A sober guy and a drunk girl equals rape. A drunk guy and a drunk girl equals rape. One thing is not like the other. I imagine the majority of cases are the second situation which is why it isn't easy to sort through these matters.
Jordan Peterson has a good take on that, he dives into all of the cans of worms surrounding the circumstances of putting yourself in a bad spot.

drahthaar
Chanceux said:

witchmo said:

Seems like it's "all rape", no matter the circumstance. Fortunately, it's the legal system that has to sort it out. Schools , admins and coaches don't have to sort much out beyond the accusation anymore. In some guys situations, a close review/second chance is merited. Guys who have been constant discipline problems, not so much.
bearlyafarmer
Serious question: Why has Baylor not taken disciplinary action against the members of the equestrian program allegedly involved in the incident under discussion here? Or were they separated from their team, too?
Keyser Soze
D. C. Bear
bearlyafarmer said:

Serious question: Why has Baylor not taken disciplinary action against the members of the equestrian program allegedly involved in the incident under discussion here? Or were they separated from their team, too?

We don't know.
xiledinok
Federal law permits it.

You guys must be disappointed that such a great education secretary like DeVos hasn't disassembled Title IX. Trump must have different priorities.
boognish_bear
bearlyafarmer said:

Were they accused of sexual assault too?
bearlyafarmer
boognish_bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

No. Did they willingly participate? If so, should they not also be separated from their team?
D. C. Bear
boognish_bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

Is sexual assault the only conduct that can lead to discipline?
80sBEAR
BaylorProud77 said:

You don't want to share with us who this might be???
The cat is out of the bag, sister, thanks to David Smoak.
"This is not an institution of football."
-- Dr. David Garland
80sBEAR
bearlyafarmer said:

As I suspected from the beginning, it looks like these four young men are on their way out. With current leadership in place, they never had a chance. I am not sure, but I suspect the young women involved were not only NOT "separated from their team", but will probably get paid. Not real sure a damn thing has changed.

My biggest concern is in this age of #metoo and the nationwide sexual assault frenzy, the scales of justice weigh heavily against males on college campuses, ESPECIALLY at Baylor. I am not condoning the behavior of these four young men, but I don't think their days at Baylor (with or without football) should end because of a late night of drinking and bad decisions. If this was a first offense, they should be given a second chance. The girls should be given equal treatment as far as punishment and forgiveness. And NOBODY involved in this incident should get a big check from Baylor. Just my opinion.
-- Dr. David Garland
BaylorProud77
No. We've got to get on those horses
And win something. Lolololol I don't know
YoakDaddy
CMR stated four names during his press conference this afternoon of players who have been separated from the team due to disciplinary actions. He did not state which of the four are separated due to any SA allegations. The four are Eric Ogor, Travon Lewis, John Arthur, and Justin Harris. He was very clear that any SA separations were not up to him but that separations for breaking other team rules were up to him. He went further to state that the players were separated immediately upon committee assessment.

Guys named Travon seem to get in trouble most often.
Keyser Soze
D. C. Bear said:

boognish_bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

No, but the the code of conduct has basically been updated to provide full amnesty for victims & witnesses coming forward.

80sBEAR
Keyser Soze said:

D. C. Bear said:

boognish_bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

No, but the the code of conduct has basically been updated to provide full amnesty for victims & witnesses coming forward.

And a big paycheck. The code of conduct needs some tweaking, my friend.
-- Dr. David Garland
Keyser Soze
80sBEAR said:

Keyser Soze said:

D. C. Bear said:

boognish_bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

What would you change?
boognish_bear
Well....since OTL can't get MSU to be a willing dance partner they have circled back to pick up this November story like it's breaking news.

boognish_bear
CMR quotes from the ESPiN article....he plays the "this happens everywhere" card...that play usually doesn't work at BU:

Rhule said he was confident the investigation was being handled properly and he didn't know much about it.

"The people that do this for a living, they handle the investigation," he said. "... I don't know much about the case, and I think that's really a good thing because I probably really shouldn't know much about it as the football coach."

At Wednesday's news conference, Rhule said he welcomed questions about the issue of sexual assault, although he could not say much about the current suspended student-athletes.

"These are the issues everywhere. This isn't a Baylor thing. This is an 'our world' thing. And so I willingly answer those questions," he said. "...These are major issues, and so I don't think any of us should run away from them ...This is what we all need, should be talking about."

A reporter referenced two of Rhule's staff who were fired near the start of his tenure, one was a coach arrested in connection with a prostitution sting and another was a staff member who reportedly sent inappropriate text messages to a teenager, and asked, "Are you worried at all about the culture of the program?"

"No, not at all," Rhule said without hesitation. "Things happen all the time, everywhere. You can either hide from it and try to hide it from all you guys so it looks like everything is great, and you end up not doing the right thing. Or you can be very transparent about things, knowing that you open yourself up for criticism."

"As you look at the scandals and things that have happened other places, it's always been when people are afraid to handle what's happened," he said, adding that the incidents with his former staff and players do not indicate a cultural problem and were quickly and properly addressed.

He reiterated the work he and the school have done to provide sexual assault awareness and education for his staff and team, and he is known for sending regular text messages to his players reminding them to be respectful to women and act appropriately off the field.

"People are going to say things, and I get all that, but that doesn't mean there's a bad culture," Rhule said. "There's a bad culture when kids do things and grown-ups hide them. And nobody's hiding anything here. And so that's why I know that we're doing things right."

YoakDaddy
I heard his interview today except for the last 4 minutes (unless he said it then). He never said 3 were separated for SA allegations. He said 4 were separated and did say some were for SA allegations and some were not. Bad tweet from espn but that's normal.
80sBEAR
Keyser Soze said:

80sBEAR said:

Keyser Soze said:

D. C. Bear said:

boognish_bear said:

bearlyafarmer said:

What would you change?

Briles could have prevented all of this by playing hardball with 3 or 4 of his star players and given them the boot. Instead, we got Baylor Football Armageddon.

I want a good football coach. One that does not pander to the BOR but does what is right.
-- Dr. David Garland
PrideBU
Keyser Soze
What does that have to do with the code of conduct?

How is Rhule pandering to the BOR?
80sBEAR
Keyser Soze said:

What does that have to do with the code of conduct?

How is Rhule pandering to the BOR?

I want to see players punished for their conduct. Not for getting a timeout for failing their "Thursday evening pre-game pop test". I want to see some nuts. But I am just an Old School dinosaur. But my opinion and those that think like me don't count.
-- Dr. David Garland
D. C. Bear
boognish_bear said:

CMR quotes from the ESPiN article....he plays the "this happens everywhere" card...that play usually doesn't work at BU:

Rhule said he was confident the investigation was being handled properly and he didn't know much about it.

"The people that do this for a living, they handle the investigation," he said. "... I don't know much about the case, and I think that's really a good thing because I probably really shouldn't know much about it as the football coach."

At Wednesday's news conference, Rhule said he welcomed questions about the issue of sexual assault, although he could not say much about the current suspended student-athletes.

"These are the issues everywhere. This isn't a Baylor thing. This is an 'our world' thing. And so I willingly answer those questions," he said. "...These are major issues, and so I don't think any of us should run away from them ...This is what we all need, should be talking about."

A reporter referenced two of Rhule's staff who were fired near the start of his tenure, one was a coach arrested in connection with a prostitution sting and another was a staff member who reportedly sent inappropriate text messages to a teenager, and asked, "Are you worried at all about the culture of the program?"

"No, not at all," Rhule said without hesitation. "Things happen all the time, everywhere. You can either hide from it and try to hide it from all you guys so it looks like everything is great, and you end up not doing the right thing. Or you can be very transparent about things, knowing that you open yourself up for criticism."

"As you look at the scandals and things that have happened other places, it's always been when people are afraid to handle what's happened," he said, adding that the incidents with his former staff and players do not indicate a cultural problem and were quickly and properly addressed.

He reiterated the work he and the school have done to provide sexual assault awareness and education for his staff and team, and he is known for sending regular text messages to his players reminding them to be respectful to women and act appropriately off the field.

"People are going to say things, and I get all that, but that doesn't mean there's a bad culture," Rhule said. "There's a bad culture when kids do things and grown-ups hide them. And nobody's hiding anything here. And so that's why I know that we're doing things right."

I remember the assistant strength coach and the prostitution sting. Who was the football staff member text message guy who was fired?
80sBEAR
D. C. Bear said:

boognish_bear said:

I remember the assistant strength coach and the prostitution sting. Who was the football staff member text message guy who was fired?

The Bellmead Booty Call and the Underage Tart Texter. I am so glad that righteousness and Godliness have returned to Baylor Football. Praise Jesus!
-- Dr. David Garland
boognish_bear
Figured Leslie would jump on this. I'm sure he'll be ripping us at 10PM tonight

57Bear
boognish_bear said:

... "The people that do this for a living, they handle the investigation," he said. "... I don't know much about the case, and I think that's really a good thing because I probably really shouldn't know much about it as the football coach." ...

HMMMM.
PartyBear
Ironic that the 1-11 coach is actually the more win at all cost type. Preaching at a mega church gives way more cover than being a 12-1 coach..
Robert Wilson
boognish_bear said:

So this guy (i) knows the players are guilty and (ii) assumes that a coach of over 100 kids can keep them all from criminal behavior. What a ****tard.
boognish_bear
Robert Wilson said:

boognish_bear said:

So this guy (i) knows the players are guilty and (ii) assumes that a coach of over 100 kids can keep them all from criminal behavior. What a ****tard.

Rhule is not assuming they are guilty...just removing them from the team until a ruling is made. But we don't get the benefit of the doubt from the media the way that Lincoln Riley did when their star RB got accused of sexual assault before the CFP.

PartyBear
Was the suspension in November or today?
bearlyafarmer
57Bear said:

boognish_bear said:

... "The people that do this for a living, they handle the investigation," he said. "... I don't know much about the case, and I think that's really a good thing because I probably really shouldn't know much about it as the football coach." ...

HMMMM.
Hey, wasn't the big deal with Briles that he thought he shouldn't know much about what happened as the football coach?

Maybe the BoR could comment on the difference, because it's as plain as the nose on Baylor's face that there is one.
boognish_bear
Damn.... even our own school newspaper is acting like ESPN broke a story

boognish_bear

CMR can certainly work a room

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.